Pacific Convenience & Fuels

Updated July 14, 2014
Updated July 14, 2014

1.2

Sam Hirbod

This company is a joke...... run!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at Pacific Convenience & Fuels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We get a paycheck at least even if it is too small.

Cons

Corporate does not care for its employees. Managers used to be 50 hours a week they've been cut the 40. They're pushing all the older managers out and hiring in new managers at substantially lower pay. They're using lame excuses to terminate employees that get paid too much. Only reason this company has been successful thus far is that there were good managers in place left over from Conoco Phillips. Were told that there's growth potential but all senior management is hired from outside the company. Sam the CEO has to be one of the least intelligent people I've ever met. If he was not born into money (and he was that is how he could afford to buy the company) he would be unemployed. All new development is being done in Northern California yet Southern California produces the majority of the money for the company and we are ignored during marketing meetings during improvements on facilities. Sam has such little regard for Southern California that he doesn't even show up for the annual marketing meetings. We have gone through many vice presidents most have quit or been fired within the first six months. It's Sam's way or the highway, he has unrealistic expectations for the direction his company is going. He will bring someone in with a proven track record and fire him for disagreeing with him. All he wants is yes-men and mindless drones. District managers have no power neither do store managers. Turnover is high at both corporate and stored levels. Store hours of been cut down to nothing and yet profits keep growing every quarter. Every year the company does better every year benefits and store hours go down and workload goes up. I have not ever seen such a blatant disregard for employees well-being and happiness and such a concentration on pure greed as I have in this company. Once the economy gets better there will be at mass exodus from this corporation. They are abusing the fact that we have a high unemployment and know that jobs are hard to find. It's only a matter of time before this company goes under and gets bought out by somebody else.

My advice is Sam should step down and just enjoy the money that he's getting off of other people sweat. Let somebody who knows what they're doing run the corporation for him. Top trying to reinvent the wheel.

Fairly well-run company, could have more office comaraderie

I worked at Pacific Convenience & Fuels full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice facilities and working environment, pretty friendly people, fair salary

Cons

Not the most interesting business, scattered leadership, no real relationships within the office, too corporate, people keep to themselves in their cubes

A lot of top tier employees left while I was working here, were suffering under the overbearing, hot-headed management

If you have expectations of a career this is not your company

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Lake Elsinore, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lake Elsinore, CA

I worked at Pacific Convenience & Fuels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is financial compensation for work but it is too little.

Cons

There is a type of management known as chaos management. This is the style that this company embraces .
    It's a culture of fear and threats. In all my years of management I have never seen such instability and lack of leadership!
    Bonuses are hard to obtain and cut every year if managers actually do obtain them.
    Benefits are expensive and almost nonexistent for non-management.
    Or is no room for growth most sessions are filled from outside employees.
    Corporate does not care about input from those who have boots on the ground.
    There is no consideration for regional trends all ideas are generated at the Northern California facility headed by Sam.
    Marketing trends are only considered at the Pleasanton area. They don't understand that Southern California is different from Northern California and the beach areas are different from the inland Empire.
    Prior to buying out Conoco Phillips gas stations Sam owned Fee-op gas stations and stores that his mom and dad left money for him to buy. With a fee-op store you just collect income there's no managing involved, He has no experience in this industry and it shows.
    No matter how hard you try or how good you do if it was not Sam's idea it is rejected and you are reprimanded. I had one of the highest sales growths in my district year after year, nobody knows their customers as well as the store manager in the area but our opinions will never take into account.
    There is no company direction there was a huge turnover at the corporate level. Sam is in egomaniac and only wants to be surrounded by people who agree with his ideas.
    Training is a joke or training manager has no idea what she's doing.
    Every time you turn around you're getting an email saying that HR for CFO or VP is no longer with the company.
    We have been told to tell our employees that "if they don't like it they can leave and they should be happy they have a job".
    Everyone lives in fear of termination.
     Upper management throws everyone under the bus to save their own skins.
    HR always sides with corporate.
    Employees are not considered to be assets they are overworked and underpaid continually getting store hours cut.
     As a store manager I was told in teleconferences with HR and the CEO that higher paid employees should be worked less. And if they are not prime producers they should be encouraged to leave or find a reason to fire them.
    This company does not like high paid employees and encourages us to hire new people to replace them to save money. Managers are coming in at several dollars less than an hour and previous managers.
    Employees come in at a set rate no matter their experience.
    Human resources determines all raises we have no input.
    Bottom line is the company is greedy does not care about its employees. I often joke that we need to take pay cuts so that Sam can afford his Bentley.

Have all upper management Sam included step down. Bring in a team of people that know what they're doing. Listen to the employees. Start paying people what they are worth. Stop being so greedy. This ship is sinking in the rats are bailing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrard company

Current Employee - Associate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Pacific Convenience & Fuels full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are none very poor outllok

Cons

Poor managers bad district managers make it worse the micro managing is horrad If your lucky you will last about a year those there for over 5 years are very brave folks and really thats all on cons

1 Hire people who really know about motovating people to work. 2 fire all your upper and lower managers start from scratch. 3 talk to people who have helped you grow stop useing fear as this does not work. 4 get some ethics in place that grow a culture of cmpany spirit. 5 fire every one in the 7 top company postions as they breed hate. Ask you hr manager and all your DMS they all are very happy your brain dead.

Friends With Benefits means you will never get fired!

Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Fremont, CA

I worked at Pacific Convenience & Fuels full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are none. None whatsoever.

Except I lost weight, I'm no longer depressed and generally a happier person since I quit. :)

Cons

No benefits.
    Hostile work environment.
    Lack of direction.
    No 10-minute breaks.
    No Lunch Breaks.
    Overtime most of the time.
    Often paid less than what I was promised.
    Lots of open-ended promises
    Harassment
    Human Resources couldn't resolve problems if the harasser was best friends with the CEO

Everyone has a bad job. This is that bad job. If you want bad job experience, come here.

If anyone wants to send any legal teams to these convenience stores to monitor workplace habits and conditions, then you're in for a big paycheck!

For the most part, employees who were paid 40/hrs a week for over 2 years were being paid as PART TIME! How screwed up is that?

Treat all management like actual employees and not like your best friend. I left because of a certain management employee who would leave for 6 out of the 8 hours in their day, leave lower, unqualified employees to do management work without management pay. Taken advantage of by such employees. Flipping burgers pays higher than this terrible job.

You better jump off the boat and look for other work, because if this keeps up, expect lawsuits from people who are really ticked off.

Poor upper management results in a dead end job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

They will hire anybody. Their background check is easy to pass. If you need a job badly, this company will probably hire you.

Cons

Demotion without reason or cause. Corporate management is out of state and not qualified to do the job of the person they are supposed to lead.

Consider building quality relationships with your work force instead of sweeping into town and making grandiose changes without input from local staff or without regard to the negative impact of your decisions.

The trail of broken promises...

I have been working at Pacific Convenience & Fuels for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful new Final Approach food court at Denver Airport (Buon Hospitality). Employees don't have to clean bathrooms. Great crew, made a lot of lifetime friends.

Cons

Not employee friendly! Insufficient training. High turnover means that most of the best employees are either gone or leaving. Senior level management decisions have created a negative environment and distrust amongst the crew.

Emphasize proper training and follow through on reviews, raises and promotions. Realize that great team members are a company's best asset.

WOW... severe dysfunction. RUN!

Current Employee - Support Center  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Support Center in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Pacific Convenience & Fuels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ummmmm... I'll have to get back to you on this question.

Cons

Moving targets, lack of leadership, cant fill positions, REVOLVING DOOR (just watched 3 more go today), no idea where we are going, no idea who we are...

A culture of constant fear isn't working.

Incompetent Leadership

I worked at Pacific Convenience & Fuels full-time for more than a year

Pros

You surely won't be bored.

Cons

Management is disorganized and unethical, both of which seem reflective of the CEO. Poor benefits. Promises will be made and forgotten right after they are made. When I worked for the company it lacked any kind of structure or process that would lead to success and profitability. Work loads would exceed the capacity for one human being only because leadership is cheap. Scapegoating is rampant. The company began in 2008 and still has not become a stable environment where profitability can occur. This is largely because employees are undervalued resulting in costly high turnover. The turnover is extremely high in accounting and finance which makes you wonder what they are trying to hide.

Learn to value your employees. Maybe figure out that treating people well can create a positive and stable environment resulting in lower costs and higher profits. Trust someone once in awhile. Stop putting your ego ahead of the process and structure of the company. Maybe test software platforms before you install them.

Criminal company that breaks federal laws

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

There's nothing pro about this company

Cons

Company gives budgets to stores instead of hours. Some employees make more than others and managers are forced to work off the clock in order to stay within given budget. Theres's more work and upper management keep cutting budget and adding work to store list. This company is not organized and company people have childish behavior, full off backstabbers, liars. There's always fear o losing job. District manager and division manager threatens employees. Also, there's age discrimination from upper management. No one listens to employees and HR is sold out and unfair. People always quitting and getting fired. This company is a joke. Only work here if can't find another job.

Stop breaking federal laws and treat employees like you would like to be treated.

Worked for Pacific Convenience & Fuels? Contribute to the Community!