Pacific Dental Services

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

Stephen Thorne

Pros
  • I look forward to coming to work and representing a company that truly believes in their employees (in 5 reviews)

• Great technical advancements and tools, good pay and good benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This company preaches work/life balance and contradicts this is multiple arenas (in 11 reviews)

• Once again, the bottom line is how much you make or refer for the owner doctor and PDS (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Internal Promotions Create a Winning Culture

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of the management team in the Arizona/Nevada region has been promoted from within. Considering every company I've ever worked for says that they do this but often don't put it into action, This is an enormous strength for PDS as many of our team members have been with the company for years and because they know they have opportunity for growth, they are more likely to stay which promotes a winning culture. In addition, if someone is not a good fit, management is quick and decisive in action. This is in line with the culture, although some may view this as a con. Successful team members are humble and hungry.

Cons

The medical plan has high premiums and a high deductible. You don't get to take advantage of your benefits unless you have a major medical event (giving birth, surgery, etc.) because you won't meet the deductible with routine visits and prescriptions alone. This seems counterintuitive in working for a healthcare company. This is an area where feedback is consistently given and yet National Support (NSC) seems to always place ownership on changing healthcare laws. Sometimes there is a lack of understanding between the field and NSC. Departments that are there to support the offices should understand how a miss on their end truly impacts profitability at the office level.

All NSC employees should be required to spend one week minimum in a support office. I would suggest a rotation of various positions (one day shadowing the dentists/hygienist, two days learning back office responsibilities, two days learning front office responsibilities). Be clear in the job offer to field members about expectations to work weekends, holidays, and evenings so that team members aren't surprised when office hours change.

Amazing Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been a part of this organization for a while. The Support that you will receive working here is amazing. The Owner doctors and the support teams truly are here to make PDS the BEST! I have grown with PDS, from a dental assistant to management. PDS offers this to you. If the opportunity is there and you work hard with your support team you can reach your goals. I know from personal experience.

Cons

I am honored to be a part of this Organization.

Nothing but respect!

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services

Pros

Benefits,401K,Vacation,People who care,care for the community..

Cons

Not enough offices in our region.

Continue to listen to your employees in the company, sometimes they know, and hear things that are beneficial to the company .I have had a very possitive experience here, when I was hired with the company I had life happen to me , like so many of us, I was refferd by a past employee to this company, When I was hired I was able to get my life back, I was helped by so many of my Management, that It's ashame to be annonymous, You have went out of your way for me, In so many ways, I have found some very compassionate and caring people here, You all know who you are , and I cannot thank you enough, Yes you are expected to work, Yes you are expected to do what is required, but this is after all your job, I don't know about your regiion, but I hope yours Is just as Awesome!!

Excellent Career Advancement!!

Current Employee - RDAEF in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - RDAEF in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I relocated to NV almost 7 years ago. After leaving a job of 23 years it took 4 years and 3 attempts at other jobs before being blessed with this opportunity! As an RDAEF I have always strived to learn and make the most of the dental field. PDS has opened doors to growth I had never dreamt of. Traveling to different offices, working with all the specialty doctors and flying to other states are just a few of the perks I enjoy. I am surrounded by positivity each day and encouraged to learn new things. I love the fact that this company is very big on promoting within and the management teams are knowledgable of all aspects of the office. It is a huge bonus to know that if I ever decide to leave the back office I may pursue one of many internal positions!

Cons

Medical insurance is pricey. I wish they could come up with a better program. It is designed for perfectly healthy people who do not see the doctor very often. The deductibles are huge, even with the company contribution to the HSA account.

Keep up the good work!!!!!! All the offices I work with are really great about positive encouragement and recognizing hard work! They constantly bring treats for the staff and buy us lunch!

Great environment.

Former Employee - Operations Manager II
    Former Employee - Operations Manager II

I worked at Pacific Dental Services

Pros

I worked in the field and at the national head quarters. I've been at other dental companies where management tried to get us front line managers to push doctors in clinical directions. At PDS, the doctor leads. Non docs like me help make the practice more efficient and less stressful for the docs. We help the docs do more of the dentistry they diagnosis.

Cons

Need a ESOP or LTIP for employees.

Loyal employees want to commit to the model but need to be rewarded with a ESOP.

Specialty Assistant

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best company to work for. They always encourage growth and development. My SRM and RMS are always there to help and have created an outstanding work environment. I wouldn't be where I am today without them! We are like one big family. This company truly cares about their employees and patients!

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say.

Keep up the greatness!

Great Company!

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have currently been employed by PDS for approx. three years. This is a phenomenal company to work for! I came to Pacific Dental Services with prior management experience in another industry. I was fresh out of dental assisting school as I long-term had interest in being a dentist or hygienist. I felt this was the perfect way to get my foot in the door. Turns out that front office was a much better fit. I have moved from within from dental assistant, to benefits coordinator, to my current position of assistant manager. The company promoting within is such an awesome advantage for not only the employee but helps with having full knowledge of how the operation runs. I have received valuable training and been able to utilize previous experience to grow within the company. PDS gives opportunity to those willing to work for it!

PDS has an awesome model for patients and employees alike. They utilize the benefits of cooperation without sacrificing the quality you hear with large dental chains such as patient care, employee turnover, and money vs. ethics.

I love that the company gives back! Once a year many offices take time to give back to people less fortunate within the community! One of my passions is charitable work. PDS also sponsors trips out of the country to reach people that would otherwise never receive quality dental care or dental care at all. To work for a company that cares this much about giving back is a something I'm overjoyed to be apart of!

Cons

Statistics are pushed heavily. At times it seems like the statistic is more important than the objection. Training that would allow standards to be universally set would be ideal.

Keep up the great work. Many improvements have been made during my time with Pacific Dental Services. I can't wait to see what the future holds!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pacific Dental Services has a family like atmosphere. Generally some of the greatest people you will ever meet. In the dental offices you have a great opportunity to advance your career especially moving to new locations and states.

Cons

A few of the challenges here are is the bottom line drives everything. It' is a business which is understandable but sometimes people need to be ahead of profit.

You are on the right track, focus more on people then on profits.

Pacific Dental Services Response

Jan 20, 2015Human Resources Representative

We appreciate your review and are so glad to hear that you have met such an outstanding group of people that you get to work side-by-side with every day. We agree that appreciating employees and ... More

Dental Assistant

Former Employee - Registered Dental Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Dental Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved where I worked. The office was always busy and the schedules were always full. If you like having something to do, then working for this company would be your best bet. Pacific Dental is a great company to help out dental assistants who are new to the field of dentistry. The office I was apart of offered myself and other assistants on-the-job training.

Cons

Feeling over worked and under paid. 8 hour days turn into 10-12 hour days!

Pay the assistants more money for all that we do in the back office!

Depends on location but..

Former Employee - Benefits Coordinator
    Former Employee - Benefits Coordinator

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

40 hour work week
    Competitive pay
    Decent benefits

Cons

Managers don't care about improvement
    no room to move into management
    dentists try to upsell everything and tend to focus on dollar amount rather than quality of care

Pay better attention to your employees and help them when they need help. Don't brush them aside.

Pacific Dental Services Photos