Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews in Avila Beach, CA

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 48 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, Challenging Work, and Wonderful People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avila Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is something for everyone at PG&E. Regardless of your particular skill set, there is a job that is suited to you. Jobs range from clerical to engineering and communications to line repair. Whether you like routine, repetitive tasks or doing something different every day, there is a job at PG&E for you.

Cons

Many community members are often annoyed/disgusted by the company. Whether it's Diablo Canyon relicensing, San Bruno, or just paying their monthly utility bills, people you'll meet every day in the community often have their own opinions about the company and will feel free to share them with you. Internal challenges, such as simply trying to do your job while also trying to comply with the myriad of rules, regulations, and management expectations can make the administrative side of the job very difficult, and will test your patience.

The company is getting too top-heavy. We've got more executives and vice-presidents than we know what to do with. We've got more work than we can possibly get done. All the while we're being told budgets are tight, we're spending too much on overtime, and we're overstaffed. We can't be overstaffed if we're all working too much overtime.

Giving Up

Former Employee - Temporary Additional in Avila Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Temporary Additional in Avila Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best pay in the area, many great and talented co-workers

Cons

Cannot get on permanent to save my life even though I have been working outages for several years and a few years as a year-round contractor.

Value your TAs. They have experience to keep Diablo safe. You shouldn't trust too many newbies just to save some pennies or an even more expensive problem could occur.

Poor and under average

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avila Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avila Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they have a good retirement plan

Cons

Poor management and treating their employees unfairly .

Have an strategic plan and directive clear instructions

A plant run by fear

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Committed employees who really want to do the right thing and often have the experience and insight to know what the right thing should be.

Cons

Fear and control best describe management style at our plant. Management knows they should engage their employees but they don't. My suspicion is they know they won't hear what they want to hear.

I have no advice to management because they wouldn't listen. I have advice to current and future employees... run away, run away screaming.

A professional, safety consious organization

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Avila Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Avila Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Safety is priority one and the company walks the talk on this issue.

Cons

Lack of resources in crucial departments requiring technical expertise. First line supervisors do not have the necessary tools to perform their jobs (lack of resources and head count restraints).

Upper management needs to be more aware of the value of various departments. Few departments get the management attention and necessqary resources.

Big and slow at times, but wants to make life good for employees.

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Avila Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Avila Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Good benifits, good pay, good people, trying hard on work-life issues. Not a lot of forced overtime for non-management and paid overtime is available. Big concentration of some of the smartest, dedicated people I have ever seen. Good solid place to work. Energy is a conservative industry and I nice place to be in hard times.

Cons

Big company, slow moving, some changes causing problems (SAP, "Transformation"). Union-Management interaction can slow progress, though they seem to try harder than most. Layoffs in some parts of the company. Cost is becoming more of an issue. Headcount is being "captured" by not replacing people who leave or retire. That makes more work for those who are left.

Find out what is really going on at the ground level before making your decisions. Think long term, not 3 years until you move to your next job.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos