Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 46 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Release Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Release Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PG&E cares about their employees and offers many opportunities to grow and move. The office is clean and the pace is casual except during crunch time.

Cons

It's a staid company. Many older employees waiting to retire. I didn't find the culture too exciting. Some days dragged on for hours.

Get to know the employees and find out what would make PG&E a more exciting place to work.

Still a great place

Current Employee - Account Manager in Ukiah, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Ukiah, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is great in certain roles and based on the manager a flex schedule is possible
    Salaries are competitive
    Great service territory with lots of opportunities to move throughout the company and hold different positions in ones career
    They offer a 75% match up to 8% of salary in 401k
    Still offer a cash balance pension to new employees. Not as lucrative as the past final pay pension but you're only going to get that with the thieving government

Cons

Lots of competition for promotions
    Company has had some major regulatory hurdles in the past 3 years
    The legislation is giving unfair advantages to the utilities natural competitors

Fight back against unnecessary intrusive regulation , let the public know that rates aren't being driven up by the company's management but by the utopian idiots at the CPUC and state Capitol

PG&E IT worker

Former Employee - IT Systems Administrator in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - IT Systems Administrator in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PG&E is a very stable, employee oriented company with deep roots in the community. The employees are very smart and hard-working. PG&E is one of the greenest electric utilities in America.

Cons

PG&E is under tremendous pressure to reduce costs due to competition from community choice aggregators and rooftop solar companies.

Internship experience for two summers

Current Employee - Gas Operations Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Gas Operations Intern in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It is a company with a lot employees who are friendly and helpful. A lot smart and dedicated people who love their work.

Cons

When there is a lot of employees you need a good management so I think PG&E lacks efficient management. Always there is a new rule which is sometimes kind of confusing and hard for implementation.

It is a good company overall but still needs more improvement on good management and they need a lot changes on keeping the old records to a digitized system for the employees to easily access them.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Security in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Security in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and discount on PGE bill

Cons

Leadership is not good. Needs change

Needs new blood, ran like the IRS

Summer Intern Electric Ops Dept

Former Employee - Summer Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the office culture as an engineer intern. Employees there were really kind and nice, patient, and answered all my questions. There are great benefits for full time employees which do not apply for interns; however, 401k does.

Cons

There were times when I was doing work that was quite tedious but I think that is part of being an intern.

Discriminates against Disabled Combat Vets

Current Employee - Pre Apprentice Lineman in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Pre Apprentice Lineman in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I interviewed twice (a year apart) and got offered a pre-apprentice lineman job. I am overly qualified for this entry level position. NLC grad, Class A license, NCCCO fix sswing cab. Army combay Vet heavy equipment operator. Grounds an ibew 3 months experience doing cut and kick in the distribution portion for pge on their property.
    Was currently making the equivalent of 120k+ a year as a crane operator.s. Had some speeding tickets, and explained it was a tough adjustment coming back home from my tour over seas, which was gnarly.

Cons

They told me "You're just not looking as competitive". I saw 18-20 year old kids lacking all but NLC, barely any experience, and brown skin getting the job. Safety first. How about working with a Disabled combat Veteran first? How about giving me an opportunity that I had been working towards for over 3 years. I was working 60 hours a week and on my one day off I was driving 400+ miles to see my kids on Sunday, every Sunday. I don't enjoy being on the road like that it made me feel paranoid and vulnerable do to how routine it was, I was living in a rough part of Oakland and felt like i was being watched and followed. Got speeding tickets.

After Denying a Disabled Combat Veteran an opportunity to work for your company. And work hard! I showed up to work contracting for you with poison oak and sweat hard making all the Lineman look lazy.. Email him back explaining a little better why you cannot hire him? I understand that your company is all about looking good to the public and turning a profit because it is an investor owned Utility. After writing detailed and very humble letters to the head representatives of multiple positions (officers) asking for an opportunity to come and sweep floors for 6 months before taking me into the apprenticeship, please return that persons email.

Beware of poor management

Current Employee - H/R Professional in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - H/R Professional in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros - you can take advantage of training if you can get away from work. They have some tuition reimbursement, but only if the degree benefits PG&E

Cons

I worked in H/R. It was the worst working experience of my 30 year career. The management is fear-based and the Director isolates and manages up, so the uppers probably have non idea of what is happening. There is a lot of pressure to be in the top group to get a bonus, even if it involves taking down your co-workers. The managers are not very skilled, as they came up the ranks without any mentorship or leadership training. Last, I saw a lot of people "re-organized" out. This included the entire EEO investigation team. Manager-level electrical employees and others who just did not fit with a difficult Director in Electric Operations. Don't move your family to SF to take a management job. I left after a few years - worst experience - ever.

You need outside management professionals and leadership courses that are proven and not built from within. There need to be some skip-level meetings and when no one will speak, that is a clue. You need to be more involved and less top-down dictatorship. Get rid of the safety discipline and metrics for the entire company. It doesn't work.

Great Company

Current Employee - Interconnection Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Interconnection Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, good money, good benefits

Cons

high work loads, a bit of incompetence at the mid manager levels

Great place to work

Former Employee - Records Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Records Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Working at the General Office there were plenty of opportunities to attend company events and get free food, tickets to events, etc.
    People in my department were professional and polite.
    Flexible hours for my position.

Cons

Many contractors were unable to continue in their positions due to budget constraints. There were always new people in and out.
    The office is very quiet and it is difficult to get to know others that work on the same floor as you if they are not in your department.

Get rid of the short term contract policy. It doesn't make sense to lose good workers because they need to take a 6 month break after working 18 months with the company.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos