Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • work/life balance can greatly differ from group to group (in 48 reviews)

• the pay and benefits are excellent (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 24 reviews)

• Difficult to have a work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

1. Intern

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

They have a really good safety culture and have very stable employment with lots of good benefits and advantages to working with them.

Cons

They are a large company, so you won't always know everyone, and it is often on you to meet other people

2. Good company

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

There is a push for work/life balance. Great benefits. Good people working there who do want to do the right thing.

Cons

Compensation is a little low for the Bay Area. Management starts initiatives but they don't see them through to the end. It's a large org and nothing gets passed on due to multiple layers of management.

3. Principal Analyst

Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Ability to contribute at high level; interesting public policy work and work with high societal impact that makes a difference in peoples lives. Colleagues are smart,professional, ethical and work to do the right thing.

Cons

Decision making is frustrated by multiple layers of management and / or the need to clear minutiae decisions with one's "supervisor" which can sometimes mean a director or senior director.

5. Best and brightest leave to go elsewhere

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits - Medical/Dental/Vision, Cash Bonus, 401K matching, pension. Work from home, only go into office for F2F meetings (this depends on your management as some are progressive that way, and others are old school and want to see your face everyday). Lots of teleconferences/WebEx, stay in your PJs at home all day glued to your laptop.

Cons

I have been employed here for a year now, previously at a Fortune 50 company for 20+ years, then a Fortune 100 company for 6 years. The revelation was made in my first week or two that the best and brightest don't work here. The few that I have come across I have seen leave - and I've only been here a year! Really weigh your options if you are thinking about accepting an offer here. The company is rife with inefficiency, and extremely slow to change. Lots of soldiers who do what they're told and are afraid to make waves. Not seeing creative thinkers who work to make the company better - something I do every day as I care and want to see things improve. Unfortunately my leaders and co-workers are mostly complacent. The main reason I accepted is that I'm over 50 and it's difficult to get in anywhere as a "regular" employee at my age. I don't dare leave due to my age, so I'm going to try to make the best of it.

Advice to Management

Some managers have been in their positions and departments way too long. Rotate these managers and directors every 5 years so we can get some new energy and new thinking to help move the company forward. Doing the same job for too long becomes counter-productive at some point.

6. PG&E Senior Estimator

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great place to work with many opportunities to branch off in different directions should you so choose. Being part of the ESC union.

Cons

Difficult to promote change sometimes due to the corporate hierarchy. Being part of the ESC union has both pros and cons.

7. Project manager

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great people, good atmosphere working on improving processes

Cons

Limited view of scope outside own role

8. Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great health & medical benefits
    - Lots of opportunity for growth within the company
    - Very focused on health & safety: quarterly ergo-checks & fitness classes provided onsite throughout the week

Cons

- Workplace can seem a little dull and old compared to the surrounding start-ups in the city

Expert Analyst

Former Employee - Expert Strategic Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Expert Strategic Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Higher than industry average base salary, pension (although severely dwarfed down in 2013), and a ridiculous amount of job security.

You want a 9-5 job and don't mind doing the same thing everyday with a 2.5% increase per year with great benefits and pension but no promotions? Can you take BS reorgs every 7 months and be blamed for things that you didn't know you were responsible for? Then this place is for you.

Cons

As a disclaimer, I have consulted at Socal Edison, Sempra, and Salt River Project in Arizona before taking on an FTE role at PG&E. While all the investor owned utilities have their inherent flaws, PG&E's (As listed below) are greatly amplified. Another disclaimer - I was rated a high performer in my last review before leaving the company. My boss (now a valued friend) told me that I should leave if I wanted to advance my career.

Most Orgs have terrible upper management that has no desire to change or genuinely pay the effort cost to get better. This attitude cascades throughout the businesses and translates to cutting corners, falsifying records, nepotism, and back-channeled agreements. This is a place that will only promote based on how much you can brown nose and say the "right" things. Actual performance is of little importance and the people that do advance are just skilled in passing on responsibilities to others.

If you are thinking of employment here, only consider it if you are going to be a Director+ level and you are relatively settled with your career. There is absolutely no room for advancement in most business units and quite frankly if I had a kid of age, this is the absolute last place I would want him to start his career. There are "finance" people that don't know how to properly use a vlookup or create a pivot table for crying out loud. If you do happen to have talent and actual production skills, you will likely get fed up and find employment with someone else across the street (ie - JP Morgan, Salesforce, Twitter, McKesson, etc.)

Business Units to avoid like the plague - Customer Care (#1 by a mile), Supply Chain, Gas Ops, and corporate relations (rootcause of San Bruno back-channeling charges). Electric Ops can be a mixed bag, but you will likely have to possess prior electric ops experience.

10. Solid Company

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Steady Schedule, no surprises, very friendly

Cons

Very traditional company especially in hierarchy.

11. Senior Project Manager

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great management team that cares about employees and their development. Managed organization, your value to the customers is obvious and meaningful.

Cons

Big company that you can get lost in, not very cutting edge with technology and innovation. A lot of process that is needed for their industry.

Advice to Management

Try to find new methods to build out innovative technology that can break through some of the processes that are used for production.

RSS Feed </> Embed