Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
3.4

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Benefits

Former Employee - Various  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Various in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and good people

Cons

Moves slow and has to move faster

Learn from the outside

Good work & great people, but highly political organization

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people and challenges to tackle are tremendous. You get to work at a scale that's hard to match. There are great groups and organizations. Training, pay and work-life balance are hard to beat.

Cons

There's just a tremendous amount of bureaucracy to make things happen. The organization excels at getting in its own way with continual reorgs and shifting priorities coming down from middle management.

If you really want to deliver a great customer experience, invest in our systems and put the right resources in place to deliver exceptional products and services.

Great Contract Opportunity

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good People
    Great Location
    Nice work environment

Cons

Lengthy review process
    Shared conference room space with other contractors

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr Systems Analyst

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

pay, benefits, diversity, known utility brand

Cons

IS leadership is dictatorship, employees walking on egg-shells and moral is not just down, but totally non-existent

Great people, Culture needs big time updates

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super smart and friendly people, great growth opportunities, great leadership

Cons

The SF PG&E offices haven't updated the dress code since the 80’s.

Update our dress code Its time! Dressy casual (Jeans dressed up) has arrived and works for literally every other successful company that surrounds us in San Francisco. Walking around the SF offices feels entirely old and stuffy! And it impacts the energy. An updated look will not only reenergize people but will attract a younger generation of employees.

Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be

Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Last year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

Cons

Continuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

My group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.

great pay and benefits culture of fear

Former Employee - Cable Splicer  in  Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Cable Splicer in Stockton, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

the pay and benefits are excellent.there are several ways to advance your career.large service territory so in time you will be able to work in area you want.

Cons

there is no backup from supervisors.will work you in to the ground then when you make mistake they will not stand by you.this is due to the fact that upper managment has them in fear of loosing thier job.

you have a lot of good and talented people.talk to them. listen to them.you send out surveys but they never seem to amount to anything at least while i worked there.everytime we got new senior management they put in new mandates without seeing what worked and what didnt.the co preaches saftey but in certian areas such as crew size and staffing levels the dollar always came first.qne of my biggest complaints was that when we had meetings with senior managment [vps and above] when you asked question they could talk for 5 minutes and still not answer the question

Senior SAP ABAP consultant

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Very good Benefits, Perks, Relative stability

Cons

Leadership, Outdated Technology, Slow paced environment

so much potential, paralyzed by politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

recession-proof business; interesting changes in the sector (smartgrid etc); industry's aging workforce means many entry level opportunities; unions for all field and skilled labor; good benefits for all full time employees; good perqs and bonus structure for management (non-union)

Cons

complicity & passivity pervade management & corp services; field techs & customer service are better as they are on the front lines but the overall culture suffers badly from a regulatory environment that guarantees profit and quasi-monopoly. all competition then, instead of to earn market share, is internal and political, creating a myopic focus on the shareholder and the regulator at the expense of the ratepayer; borderline corrupt in places

volunteer to cede all program management back to the state for open bidding and focus on managing and maintaining assets ("back to pipes & wires")

Contractor- 8 Mo's

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

PG&E pays well and has many open temporary contract roles available at any given time. The company is centrally located for commuters using public transportation.

Cons

The culture is terribly antiquated and lifeless. Employees wait to be told what to do and are not proactive or enthusiastic. I found most people to be very nice however there is no passion or energy to innovate or improve processes or the status quo.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!