Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Project manager

Pros

Great people, good atmosphere working on improving processes

Cons

Limited view of scope outside own role

2. Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great health & medical benefits - Lots of opportunity for growth within the company - Very focused on health & safety: quarterly ergo-checks & fitness classes provided onsite throughout the week

Cons

- Workplace can seem a little dull and old compared to the surrounding start-ups in the city

Good company

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

There is a push for work/life balance. Great benefits. Good people working there who do want to do the right thing.

Cons

Compensation is a little low for the Bay Area. Management starts initiatives but they don't see them through to the end. It's a large org and nothing gets passed on due to multiple layers of management.

5. Senior Project Manager

Pros

Great management team that cares about employees and their development. Managed organization, your value to the customers is obvious and meaningful.

Cons

Big company that you can get lost in, not very cutting edge with technology and innovation. A lot of process that is needed for their industry.

Advice to Management

Try to find new methods to build out innovative technology that can break through some of the processes that are used for production.

6. Solid Company

Pros

Steady Schedule, no surprises, very friendly

Cons

Very traditional company especially in hierarchy.

7. Lots of Opportunities

Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great starting pay, room to grow, a lot of learning

Cons

somewhat disorganized, can demand long hours during busy times

Advice to Management

Create more organization to facilitate learning

Expert Analyst

Former Employee - Expert Strategic Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Expert Strategic Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Higher than industry average base salary, pension (although severely dwarfed down in 2013), and a ridiculous amount of job security. You want a 9-5 job and don't mind doing the same thing everyday with a 2.5% increase per year with great benefits and pension but no promotions? Can you take BS reorgs every 7 months and be blamed for things that you didn't know you were responsible for? Then this place is for you.

Cons

As a disclaimer, I have consulted at Socal Edison, Sempra, and Salt River Project in Arizona before taking on an FTE role at PG&E. While all the investor owned utilities have their inherent flaws, PG&E's (As listed below) are greatly amplified. Another disclaimer - I was rated a high performer in my last review before leaving the company. My boss (now a valued friend) told me that I should leave if I wanted to advance my career. Most Orgs have terrible upper management that has no desire to change or genuinely pay the effort cost to get better. This attitude cascades throughout the businesses and translates to cutting corners, falsifying records, nepotism, and back-channeled agreements. This is a place that will only promote based on how much you can brown nose and say the "right" things. Actual performance is of little importance and the people that do advance are just skilled in passing on responsibilities to others. If you are thinking of employment here, only consider it if you are going to be a Director+ level and you are relatively settled with your career. There is absolutely no room for advancement in most business units and quite frankly if I had a kid of age, this is the absolute last place I would want him to start his career. There are "finance" people that don't know how to properly use a vlookup or create a pivot table for crying out loud. If you do happen to have talent and actual production skills, you will likely get fed up and find employment with someone else across the street (ie - JP Morgan, Salesforce, Twitter, McKesson, etc.) Business Units to avoid like the plague - Customer Care (#1 by a mile), Supply Chain, Gas Ops, and corporate relations (rootcause of San Bruno back-channeling charges). Electric Ops can be a mixed bag, but you will likely have to possess prior electric ops experience.

Unscrupulous

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has decent employee benefits, including a pension plan and excellent high employer matching contributions for 401K. Speaking about the executive branch and not the service branch, but I believe there are some similar threads running through there as well. If you are willing to do as you are told, not ask questions, and play ball with liars... you can work here for a long time.

Cons

I was expected to mislead my internal customers, allow false reporting through my leadership team to upper management, and stay quiet about shady accounting practices within the department. My direct managers had zero humanity and zero leadership skills. The department was run on fear of losing one's job and threats.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management as they do not care. The system of fear, intimidation, law-breaking, and falsification of documents appears to be a long-standing systemic practice, even a business model for this company.

10. I love it here

Pros

Great benefits and work place.

Cons

Not everything happens very fast.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

In my corporate services organization the environment is low key (not high pressure, great work life balance), colleagues are great to work with (collaborative rather than competitive), pay is competitive (with great benefits). But not all departments in the organization are the same.

Cons

Organization is very hierarchical with limited promotion opportunities in most departments, decisions and projects move slower than most any other organization out there, there are many long term employees (25 years +) who are set in their ways, and not many young employees so the environment is missing the input and excitement of a younger team. If that all sounds acceptable to you then you will probably find it a great place to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed