Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • work/life balance can greatly differ from group to group (in 48 reviews)

• the pay and benefits are excellent (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 24 reviews)

• Difficult to have a work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

1. Principal Analyst

Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Ability to contribute at high level; interesting public policy work and work with high societal impact that makes a difference in peoples lives. Colleagues are smart,professional, ethical and work to do the right thing.

Cons

Decision making is frustrated by multiple layers of management and / or the need to clear minutiae decisions with one's "supervisor" which can sometimes mean a director or senior director.

2. Great company...Nice, friendly people

Former Contractor - Document Control Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Document Control Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I was hired twice as a contractor, working in different departments. Great teams and nice, friendly people!

Cons

Both times, I worked as a contractor. Once your contract is up, you can't go back until after 6-months.

3. Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great health & medical benefits
    - Lots of opportunity for growth within the company
    - Very focused on health & safety: quarterly ergo-checks & fitness classes provided onsite throughout the week

Cons

- Workplace can seem a little dull and old compared to the surrounding start-ups in the city

5. Lots of Opportunities

Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great starting pay, room to grow, a lot of learning

Cons

somewhat disorganized, can demand long hours during busy times

Advice to Management

Create more organization to facilitate learning

Expert Analyst

Former Employee - Expert Strategic Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Expert Strategic Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Higher than industry average base salary, pension (although severely dwarfed down in 2013), and a ridiculous amount of job security.

You want a 9-5 job and don't mind doing the same thing everyday with a 2.5% increase per year with great benefits and pension but no promotions? Can you take BS reorgs every 7 months and be blamed for things that you didn't know you were responsible for? Then this place is for you.

Cons

As a disclaimer, I have consulted at Socal Edison, Sempra, and Salt River Project in Arizona before taking on an FTE role at PG&E. While all the investor owned utilities have their inherent flaws, PG&E's (As listed below) are greatly amplified. Another disclaimer - I was rated a high performer in my last review before leaving the company. My boss (now a valued friend) told me that I should leave if I wanted to advance my career.

Most Orgs have terrible upper management that has no desire to change or genuinely pay the effort cost to get better. This attitude cascades throughout the businesses and translates to cutting corners, falsifying records, nepotism, and back-channeled agreements. This is a place that will only promote based on how much you can brown nose and say the "right" things. Actual performance is of little importance and the people that do advance are just skilled in passing on responsibilities to others.

If you are thinking of employment here, only consider it if you are going to be a Director+ level and you are relatively settled with your career. There is absolutely no room for advancement in most business units and quite frankly if I had a kid of age, this is the absolute last place I would want him to start his career. There are "finance" people that don't know how to properly use a vlookup or create a pivot table for crying out loud. If you do happen to have talent and actual production skills, you will likely get fed up and find employment with someone else across the street (ie - JP Morgan, Salesforce, Twitter, McKesson, etc.)

Business Units to avoid like the plague - Customer Care (#1 by a mile), Supply Chain, Gas Ops, and corporate relations (rootcause of San Bruno back-channeling charges). Electric Ops can be a mixed bag, but you will likely have to possess prior electric ops experience.

Watch Your Back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Career development and training opportunities, good salary and benefits.

Cons

Poor work/life balance, bureaucratic to the extreme, limited opportunities for advancement. "Not invented here" bias against ideas from outside the utility industry.

PG&E definitely compensates its employees well but that leads to a lot of over-qualify people doing easy work.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst, Associate in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst, Associate in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, compensation, benefits, flexibility to go into other departments.

Cons

Work environment is a little bit too opaque and overly political. Promotion structure is too rigid.

Advice to Management

Allow you employees to utilize company resources and programs instead of holding them back.

Principal

Current Employee - Principal in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very sharp people in the General Office (downtown SF), many of whom re making a genuine effort to improve the company. Many groups within the company work on the cutting edge of the energy, and utility, industries. Good compensation, benefits, and work/life balance.

Cons

The highly regulated environment results in: 1) many required processes and daily tasks that often reduce the time available to spend on meaningful core work (and generally lots of bureaucracy), 2) very long timelines due to trying to make every stakeholder happy, 3) hesitancy to pursue high potential strategic projects.

Advice to Management

Tailor risk and compliance efforts to each individual business instead of applying a broad-brush approach. Shrink the service territory and focus efforts; we will have opportunities to expand again the future. Continue to stand up against uninformed and unreasonable parties who believe a utility is neither needed or beneficial.

10. Great Intern Experience

Former Intern - Energy Procurement in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Energy Procurement in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked in the Integrated Resource Planning Department
    Everybody was very friendly/receptive and willing to train and answer any question I had
    The on boarding process for interns was very well organized as well
    Fairly flexible regarding time worked (Hourly Employee)

Cons

Very bureaucratic which is to be expected at a large company
    Place is run by Microsoft Outlook
    Very slow overall pace. Meet with your supervisor on Monday and they might schedule another meeting for next Monday when you are ready by Tuesday

Advice to Management

No specific advice to Management as I was just an intern. Work on moving faster and increasing collaboration between departments.

11. Management Consultant Contractor

Current Employee - Change Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Change Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Good Company; Sound practices and caring attitude towards employees

Cons

Big Organization and sometimes it is difficult to get information across all 20,000+ employees

Advice to Management

Ensure that consideration is given to informing all employees in all locations of relevant information using a means that is useful for their jobs.

RSS Feed </> Embed