Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews in San Ramon, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in(in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management(in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture(in 10 reviews)

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved working here

Instructional Designer (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsIn my role, there was lots of flexibility, autonomy, as well as challenging projects. I was able to be completely a self-starter and had a great manager with a forward-thinking management style.

ConsThe offices and business are very spread out and therefore there is some travel involved, which I did not consider too much of a 'con,' but it is worth mentioning.

Ok

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

Prosvery good health coverage and pension

Conslow growth and slow promotion

Advice to Senior Managementgive good promotions

Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be

IT Individual Contributor (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsLast year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

ConsContinuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You win some, you lose some

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsHealth benefits are excellent although the health plan did dramatically change last year. Matching 401k and a pension!

The people who work here are incredible. There will always be people who will go above and beyond to help you with your work.

ConsDepending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance. Sure, you can work 40 hours a week, but you will always be behind and too many people are depending on you to get the work done on time, regardless of your schedule. Too many meetings, not enough time to work. Poor processes, can come across quite a bit of red tape due to the regulatory environment we work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, communicate, communicate.

I was an instructor for AutoCAD and worked support through Web seminars

Lead Instructor for ACAD2012 (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsGreat environment and reasonable compensation.

ConsBudget shortfalls led to dismissal

Advice to Senior ManagementI always felt good about the support I got from my superiors

Dysfunctional company with decreasing opportunities

Consultant (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsCompany is large and relatively stable since California's PUC will never let this investor-owned utility, the nation's largest, ever go under. It also offers both gas and electric service, given the company more clout. Management locations in San Francisco and San Ramon are excellent for both commuting and lifestyle. It's trying hard to burnish its reputation for safety and service. Decent benefits and average pay.

ConsThe San Bruno natural gas accident of a couple of years ago has shaken the company to its very foundations. It has a severe public relations problem and is trying hard to re-invent itself as a "safety first" company. But the company's processes are terribly disorganized and it has brought in a lot of expensive outside consultants who are wrecking havoc with a traditionally very collegial company culture. Politics reign supreme and everyone is watching their back, especially if they report to these outside consultants or their lieutenants.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's fine to put new systems in place and try to improve the company's processes, but it's reliance on aggressive and intemperate outside consultants is polluting a culture that worked hard for Californians for decades. It may well be that PG&E will face ever more municipal takeovers given the level of service and attitude of management. Meanwhile, many dedicated employees are losing faith with the company they thought they knew.

A lot of bureaucracy, but otherwise an OK place to work

Biologist (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsI had a good boss and co-workers were reasonable. Workload was heavy but interesting and manageable

ConsThey aren't organized well, and they tend to fire long-term employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees something to look forward to long-term.

A well balanced work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsGood work life balance and lots of opportunity to grow. Feels like you are contributing to community. Management will recognize talent, at least that is what my experience is so far.

ConsCompany have not embraced the latest technology yet, but on the right path. Lot of process which is expected in regulated companies.

Good place to work

Computer Systems Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsSalary, ability to move within company

Consmost jobs are in SF

Advice to Senior ManagementMove more desirable jobs out of the city!

Amazing place to work

Network Specialist (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

Prosrelaxed environment
    flexible timings
    no dress code

Consnot much to learn
    no documentation

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!