Pacific Interpreters

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
1.9

Peter Harris

I enjoyed being an interpreter

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved being able to set my own hours and helping limited English speaking patients specially during difficult situations. I wish the company was still around

Cons

Too much driving between assignments. Not getting paid if patient did not show up for appointment

Interpreters lose to languageline solution.

Former Employee - French Interpreter
    Former Employee - French Interpreter

I worked at Pacific Interpreters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company that paid fairly. All went out the window now that Languageline took it over.

Cons

Languageline makes huge profits but pay less than Burger King.

Dont be so greedy. You have lost your best interpreters.

It's Over

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This was a great place to work, despite of the changes I had heard of that happened because of being bought out by Language Line

Cons

Huge layoff for most of the Downtown office.

No advice for a call center that is not there anymore.

Underpaid.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Interpreters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there are great. I enjoy connecting our customers to an interpreter.

Cons

The pay is ridiculous. And upper management is difficult to deal with.

Bad Management

Former Employee - CSA in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters (less than a year)

Pros

The thing I did like was the job of connecting medical personnel with interpreters. It felt good to be able to help those who had a hard time communicating and for the medical personnel to be able to help their patients get well.

Cons

This is an unhealthy environment to work in. Some employees are afraid to speak up and/or ask questions. It's sad that you can do your best at the job and ask questions along the way and end up being let go. The way I was treated by a manager because I wanted to talk because I didn't get an answer why some things took place was surprising. I felt bullied and humiliated. Never did get to tell my side. Was stopped. I needed the job and was being monitored with very good data accuracy. So was shocked at the end of 90 days that I was let go. A real hardship for me right now.

Treat the employees with respect and listen and don't control. It felt like a controlled environment. Condenscending and humiliating behavior is very unhealthy and has a negative affect on employees. Employees need the job, but ending up being very stressed.

Call Center Management will humiliate you

Former Employee - CSA in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Aside from some of the nice people who are suffering along with you, in the end, I didn't see any pros while working for the company. It was my mistake. At first, I'll be honest, I didn't mind the job. I liked the job. As people left and a bigger company bought the joint, things changed, making it hostile, uncomfortable, and emotionally unstable.

Cons

There are these baby vultures that walk around the call center that put on a show for you. They peer over your shoulder, give you a cute little smile, talk friendly to you, and then report back to the mother birds that you are a terrible employee.

We couldn't safely report any issues to ANYBODY in the entire place, out of fear we would lose our jobs. If we had any complaints, there was no possible way for us to tell a member of upper management. A few people tried, but then they got fired the same week for poor performance. Good luck trying to help make positive changes.

I worked there for over 3 1/2 years. I started the job at $10.50 and hour, and ended the job at $10.60 an hour. I was a hard worker, putting in over 50 hours a week for OT, and I only received a ten cent raise (5 cents 2x) during my time there. Just terribly.

I applied many times for different positions around the company. Jobs that I was highly qualified for. Well, every time, I was dismissed and brushed under the rug. The jobs always went to unqualified people who weren't part of the company previously. So much for hiring internally.

And, the worst thing of it all...wait for it...

The call center management and would talk so much behind the backs of so many of the employees within earshot of everyone else. I remember always walking into conversations between persons of management and other employees, just trash talking some of the other employees. It was so sad, the things they were saying. And they would just trash talk all day long in their offices that they thought were sound proof. I saw so many people upset and crying because of issues like this. It is incredibly sad. Shame on them.

The question, " Why did I stay here for so long?" It was easy, and I could still go to college.

You guys are just terrible people. Why would you treat people with such disrespect. I have never encountered a management team that was so ill educated in the terms of human decency. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Think of all the tears you have caused over the years. You hurt people. Innocent bystanders who are just looking to get by on a daily basis are getting bulldozed by people they should be trusting to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.

HORRIBLE EMPLOYER!

I worked at Pacific Interpreters full-time

Pros

None-this is a professional dead end. This employer doesn't invest in its employees & churns & burns them. HIgh turnover.

Cons

Poor management, unbearable politics, business units trampling others, the Ops leadership are tyrants who will make it their mission to get rid of you should you question anything. New owners are located in TX & they certainly don't care or have a clue what's taking place. The leadership, is the least professional & most reactive executive I have ever encountered in my career. They build business units & then dismantle them within 1 year=waste of resources.
    Poor leadership, poor operations, don't apply you'll get churned & burned.

No advice, they'll eventually implode.

Mind-numbing

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Pacific Interpreters full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, very little actual responsibility, really flexible hours

Cons

Boring, no real interaction with the callers, calls become "robotic" because they are so short and repetitive.

You might as well go the fully-automated route...you're already three-quarters of the way there

This is a decent job if you want to work at home and make some bucks.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Pacific Interpreters as a contractor

Pros

Working from home and more family time.

Cons

High job stress due to emotionally worked up LEPs and a very low per minute rate.

Implementing an online login system will help to save headaches for both schedulers and interpreters.

Not the same Pacific Interpreters anymore since Oct 2013

Current Employee - Interpreter
    Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at Pacific Interpreters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from the comfort of home but it's like social isolation.

Cons

It used to be a good company to work for as freelance interpreter. They were flexible with schedules. They also paid a reasonable rate of 0.50-0.60 per minute. But Language Line Solutions bought Pacific early 2013. Now that Language Line is taking over starting Oct 2013, they are forcing freelance/ contractors to be so called "employees" and pay a ridiculously low rate of $14/hour. Not only the rate is now less than a quarter per minute ($14/60 minutes= $0.24), there will be no flexibility in schedule, no sick days, no paid vacation, no holidays. What a complete joke and disrepect to the interpreters.
    LLS has a revenue of 300 million per year, yet they treat interpreters like cheap labor. Does it make sense that they charge $2.5 - $3.9 per minute and pay interpreters $0.24 a minute? Such a greedy company. Good bye Pacific Interpreters and LLS, you're not the same company with quality interpreters anymore. Many of us are leaving.

Many highly qualified and experienced interpreters are leaving, we are not tolerating the ridiculous, disrespectful & inhumane "employee" status of $14/hour with no sick days, no holidays, no paid vacation, cheap useless health insurance...