Pacific Life Reviews

• Omaha, NE Area
4.5
Pacific Life President and CEO Jim Morris
Jim Morris

1. Love working at Pacific Life.

Current Intern - Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interns get a front row seat to the daily processes of an Internal Wholesaler. The mentor program is great, allowing interns to sit in with a wholesaler to hear their sales processes. My mentor is always open for questions and has helped me a lot throughout my time as an intern.

Would recommend this internship to any college student interested in Marketing or Finance.

Cons

Technological processes are not very efficient.

Advice to Management

No complaints about management!

2. First job where I looked forward to going to work

Current Intern - Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-They're a Fortune 500 Company, so they can afford to take care of their employees.
    -Managers are very open, and the people are very friendly
    -It's a consultative sales firm, so their primary focus is the client, not a sales bonus
    -Being privately held means they don't have to sacrifice ethics to follow sound business practices
    -It's a fantastic internship for students interested in Finance or Marketing

Cons

-The only real internship they offer is in Internal Wholesaling
    -Exclusively available to juniors and seniors in college

Advice to Management

It's a great company, but keep striving for continuous improvement! There's no reason not to look into expanding the internship programs for college students

3. Supportive and friendly work environment where people actually want to see you succeed!

Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life

Pros

Over the last 12-18 months, management has been driving home a new initiative to really support their staff - not just in their current roles, but helping develop them to get them where they want to be. The energy is usually very positive and almost everyone is very friendly. On the phones your creativity may be a little limited for regulatory purposes (since this is the financial field after all), but creativity is strongly encouraged when it comes to building training materials, food days, office games, etc. This company also really promotes hiring from within. There is a lot more cross department opportunity than many companies I have seen. The culture and benefits are great!

Cons

The company is efficient and there are not a lot of positions for upward mobility into management, if that is your path. People in those positions now like them so much, they rarely leave. It doesn't mean that management positions aren't there, they are just competitively sought.

Advice to Management

To senior management - there is more room for more floor supervisors. Staff love the time they get to build relationships with their direct supervisor in a proactive manner, not just in a disciplinary one. A lower supervisor to employee ratio could help this as well as open up more opportunities for growth within. Keep up the positive changes you have already been making though - we ARE noticing!

5. The best work environment I have ever worked in.

Current Employee - Regional Marketing Coordinator/Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing pay and benefits, easy access to management, tons of room for advancement.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing.

6. As an internal wholesaling intern I had a very positive work experience with Pacific Life.

Former Intern - Internal Wholesaling in Omaha, NE
    Former Intern - Internal Wholesaling in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pacific Life as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

From the first day that I started, the people there were all very friendly and truly wanted to see me succeed.

Cons

The training process was rather short, and as a result I spent a lot of time learning things as I went or asking people questions along the way.

7. Not what they hype it up to be

Current Employee - Annuity Information Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Annuity Information Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

health insurance is decent and you get the ability to purchase an additional week of PTO.

Cons

There is a lot of clicks if you will and the gossip is all around you. You may be the person being 'talked' about and never know it without the ability to read between the lines. If you don't keep your head down, mouth shut, and just do your routinely boring 8-5 job, then you will be a target. It may not seem like you are micro managed, but really you are. When somebody comes up to you and just asks how things are going it's not as black and white as they want you to think. In reality, there has been a discussion about you (i.e maybe you did a call wrong, maybe you asked the wrong questions, etc) but they will never address it specifically. So in essence, you will never know what you did wrong to improve, only stand out and be the next targeted person. Not sure what happens to the targets yet as i haven't been in the company very long. The training classes are small maybe 5-6 people is the average, but by the end of training, you'll lose 50%. That should have been my first red flag. During the short time i've been there, i've heard stories about people that they didn't like, said something that didn't 'conform' etc even if it was years ago. Now, that's not too professional is it. OJT is a joke and most people are on a power trip and seem to try to beat you down. You don't get to know your co workers and almost get the feeling of having to be a stepford wife. While the pay and benefits are decent, there is enough in this company to drive you out the door.

Advice to Management

Not sure where to begin. No advice i can give right now that would change the way things are done without literally changing the entire structure from training to the people that work there.

Cruel and unusual punishment!

Former Employee - New Business Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - New Business Analyst in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice benefits if you can withstand the place!

Cons

Middle management are the worst I've experienced. Not the real humane kind! Rediculing and self esteem busting to well established, knowledgable employees. It's the worst case of clickiness! The weird thing is it's the unhappy and ungly that make the cool team at this company. Not sure if it's jealousy or just plain ignorance? The people here do not treat people well. I was referred by one who has worked there for years. I still hear sad stories that effect a comrad and fellow employee. It truly makes me quit frankly ill at the adult behavior at this company. I should have realized this when I was waiting for and interview... I saw folks on break, one of which had a very loud trash mouth in the downstairs interior courtyard. She actually ended up being one of my trainers! There's just very small town mentality here with very little class with the exception of one upper manager There were two that do stick out as polite and politically correct, however not sure how they don't witness the behavior of their supervisors. It's a cruel and unusual punishment of a job! Also, treated like bad adolescent children... This is no way to work, happiness doesn't exist this way trust me!

Advice to Management

Take a little observance of the clickiness of your supervisors. They should not be trash talking other employees while sitting in a training room with new employee recruits. It sets an extremely bad tone for all the employees. Company moral is kept down right from the gate! Be more open to employees frustrations, everyone might be a little happier getting things off thier chest! Just as I am writing this.

9. Don't pass up a great chance if you get one!

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Pay, 401(k) and experience. Its a private company and is very stable. Run very well.

Cons

Opportunity for advancement could improve

Advice to Management

Doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Business Support Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Business Support Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get what you put in. The harder you work the more opportunities you will receive. Love my management team.California law allows every minute over 8 hours as OT despite where your location is. Great benefits. Makes up for average pay.

Cons

Inconsistent hours. Hours can vary from 7 AM to 6 PM. Can be boring at times. Not very challenging. Management team does a "no news is good news" policy with respect to performance.

Advice to Management

Provide growth opportunities. Touch base with employees regularly.

I would not recommend ever working in the Annuities Division!

Current Employee - Senior Annuity Product Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Annuity Product Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO and ability to purchase additional PTO

Cons

Micro-managed, Senior Management has no clue, raises are a joke and supervisors who do not know what you do have input in deciding what your raise will be-over your own supervisor. No possibility for promotion, they just add duties to senior employees without a raise or promotion opprotunity.

Advice to Management

Senior Management really should pay closer attention to the survey they sent out this last year and take into serious consideration what feedback they received. Changing the occurance policy is only the first step to keeping qualified senior employees and to reduce the turnover. Who would want to stay with a company that doesn't reward long term employees or promote qualified candidates. They talk about values but then do not back them up. Don't forget how important Customer Service is to the company, we are treated like the red-headed step child of the company especially the Omaha office.