Pacific Life

Pacific Life Reviews in Omaha, NE

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Pacific Life President and CEO Jim Morris

Jim Morris

Pros
  • Good benefits, Nice pay, Clean area, Nice building overall, Free coffee---but not past 10am(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and one of the last stressful companies in America according to Business Insider(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You will need to know massive amounts of information without missing a beat(in 4 reviews)

• No ability to work from home or have a flexible schedule(in 3 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Don't pass up a great chance if you get one!

Internal Wholesaler (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat Benefits, Pay, 401(k) and experience. Its a private company and is very stable. Run very well.

ConsOpportunity for advancement could improve

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Cruel and unusual punishment!

New Business Analyst (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsNice benefits if you can withstand the place!

ConsMiddle management are the worst I've experienced. Not the real humane kind! Rediculing and self esteem busting to well established, knowledgable employees. It's the worst case of clickiness! The weird thing is it's the unhappy and ungly that make the cool team at this company. Not sure if it's jealousy or just plain ignorance? The people here do not treat people well. I was referred by one who has worked there for years. I still hear sad stories that effect a comrad and fellow employee. It truly makes me quit frankly ill at the adult behavior at this company. I should have realized this when I was waiting for and interview... I saw folks on break, one of which had a very loud trash mouth in the downstairs interior courtyard. She actually ended up being one of my trainers! There's just very small town mentality here with very little class with the exception of one upper manager There were two that do stick out as polite and politically correct, however not sure how they don't witness the behavior of their supervisors. It's a cruel and unusual punishment of a job! Also, treated like bad adolescent children... This is no way to work, happiness doesn't exist this way trust me!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a little observance of the clickiness of your supervisors. They should not be trash talking other employees while sitting in a training room with new employee recruits. It sets an extremely bad tone for all the employees. Company moral is kept down right from the gate! Be more open to employees frustrations, everyone might be a little happier getting things off thier chest! Just as I am writing this.

Great Culture

Business Support Specialist (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsYou get what you put in. The harder you work the more opportunities you will receive. Love my management team.California law allows every minute over 8 hours as OT despite where your location is. Great benefits. Makes up for average pay.

ConsInconsistent hours. Hours can vary from 7 AM to 6 PM. Can be boring at times. Not very challenging. Management team does a "no news is good news" policy with respect to performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide growth opportunities. Touch base with employees regularly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would not recommend ever working in the Annuities Division!

Senior Annuity Product Coordinator (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsPTO and ability to purchase additional PTO

ConsMicro-managed, Senior Management has no clue, raises are a joke and supervisors who do not know what you do have input in deciding what your raise will be-over your own supervisor. No possibility for promotion, they just add duties to senior employees without a raise or promotion opprotunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management really should pay closer attention to the survey they sent out this last year and take into serious consideration what feedback they received. Changing the occurance policy is only the first step to keeping qualified senior employees and to reduce the turnover. Who would want to stay with a company that doesn't reward long term employees or promote qualified candidates. They talk about values but then do not back them up. Don't forget how important Customer Service is to the company, we are treated like the red-headed step child of the company especially the Omaha office.

Not a bad company to work for.

Internal Wholesaler (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsCompetitive Salary, Good Training, friendly coworkers.

ConsTarget sales are way too high for the economy that we are in right now.

If you have a family, its a horrible place to work.

Annuity Information Specialist (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGood benefits, Nice pay, Clean area, Nice building overall, Free coffee---but not past 10am. Free Series 6 license.

ConsThe archaic attendance policy. If you have a family or any medical issues, you will not do well here. In fact once they learned I needed to have surgery, I was given my walking papers and informed that my medical benefits would run out at the end of the month---knowing that my surgery was scheduled for the first of the next month.

Management claims to always be there to help. However, if you try to get anyone on the phone or in person to assist you---you're told to look it up. However, you've wasted your 3 minute hold time in order to try to look it up on your own first obviously, and management is still no help. My OJT'er was late on 3 occassions and since I could not log into my phone until my OJT'er was at my desk---I got 3 occurrences 3 days in a row for being late. No joke. Only I was never told they were occurrences at the time. Supervisors are a joke with the two in Omaha being on such power trips it would cause you to almost want to stab yourself in the eye with a thumbtack---one of the many you'll need to provide yourself for the ENDLESS amount of paperwork they give you to learn.

Supervisors never had one-on-one meetings, even when they were scheduled and you were told "Sorry, I got busy--we'll do it next week". Never had a single performance review while I was there. But everytime I would walk to my supervisors desk she was on her cellphone playing Angry Birds or on Craigslist looking for apartments.

The training is lack-luster. They cram a bunch of stuff into your head that has nothing to do with what you'll actually need to learn to do your job. Mock calls are a joke. You will spend 90% of your training time doing Mock Calls and you'll realize that the 20 minutes you spent on actual material (with the trainer going on about her dates from the night before or her diet/gym routine) were not sufficient. In fact I still have no idea what the Pacific Index Choice product is. Not to mention the need for two monitors is apparent. Having to run 15 programs on a 15" screen is ludacris.

You get to purchase EVT at the beginning of the year ---an extra week or two of PTO that you can use throughout the year. However, if you're hired on as a temp in October, even though you're working there through the New Year---you do not qualify to opt in to this program. You're stuck with working your proverbial arse off to accumulate enough time off to go to a doctors appointment.

Once got sick to the point I could not talk. Went into work anyways asking if there was anything else I could do ---felt fine, voice just wasn't there. Was told to go home. This counted as an occurrence against me, even though I showed up asking for work to do.

Updates to the material and information you need to know are endless and you'll get numerous notifications of this material throughout the day. 5-6 updates a day is NOT uncommon. Additionally, you're expected to know this material immediately (and read all of it WHILE you're on the phone). Only to find out your supervisors have no idea what you're talking about when you ask a question about it. They didn't feel the need to read it, they don't do anything all day anyway.

OJT is a joke, and your trainer will spend more time doodling or playing on their cellphone than actually listening to your calls. The only feedback you'll get is on your opening and closing. They ignore anything of substance in your calls. OJT days will be the worst days you have.

The work environment is very solitary. You are confined to your cube for the entire shift minus your 30 minute lunch, your 15 min morning break and 10 min afternoon break. You have no time to even get to know your co-workers. I worked next to the same people for over 6 months and I think I learned 2 people's names.

The database is incorrect a lot of the time, or offers conflicting information. You are not permitted to transfer calls to other departments at any time without following the "Call Transfer Guidelines". Even if a manager told you previously to go ahead and transfer it, you'll get a call review and another manager will nail you on it. The supervisors have NO clue what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp your occurrence schedule. Actually listen to a circumstance (like an OJT'er being late) before reprimanding. Attendance policies need to be in effect for everyone there (I know my supervisor alone was absent at least 12 times while I was there but somehow managed to keep her job---in a 2 month period). Allow your employees to STAND up and stretch. Being yelled at for not "sitting" for 8 hours straight is ridiculous. UT time is ridiculous. Took 114 calls one day and got reprimanded for not meeting UT time.

Positive

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat pay and benefits that are above average for the industry.

ConsOpportunities to advance are limited. Tenure is long.

Overall good working experience, no major complaints.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsSupportive of gaining industry designations. Overall benefits package good. Easy to work with other departments. Decent opportunuties for bonuses. Management is easily approachable.

ConsNot much room for advancement depending on the location. No vision coverage, medical and dental options not as good as I've seen at other insurance companies. Sometimes get the reasoning "things have always been done that way" and it seems a waste to suggest new ideas.

Worked for Pacific Life? Contribute to the Community!