Pacific Life

Pacific Life Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Pacific Life President and CEO Jim Morris

Jim Morris

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, Nice pay, Clean area, Nice building overall, Free coffee---but not past 10am"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Some very nice employees and well mannered work environment"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will need to know massive amounts of information without missing a beat"
    in 4 reviews
  • "And all women in annuity services -- customer service"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Field Vice President

Regional Vice President (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time for more than 10 years

Pros1) Strong Focused Leadership
2) Good product and competitive comp for advisors
3) Good work life and family life balance

Cons1) Salary not as competitive as other carriers

Not the best, but not the worst.

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat medical benefits
Great 401k plan
Flexible hours
Good pay

ConsThe Supervisors are the most inexperienced people I have ever worked with. Extreme micromanagers!!! There is no area for advancement unless you know someone... The moral in the office is the worst I have ever seen it. If you are not part of Corporate you are treated so differently. No perks are given to those working in the Life Division..

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Supervisors with skills. Stop promising that things will get better, you know next year you are just going to implement another change that doesn't make sense to fix the last change that didn't work. You have no knowledge of how to make it better and you rely on the employees to figure it out for you. Read the comments on this site, learn from them, and realize that your employees are unhappy with how they are treated.

Good Company; Slow Progress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Life

ProsGreat work-life balance. Good atmosphere, people and work environment. You can feel like family here. Fantastic benefits.

ConsThe company is the very essence of slow and stodgy. Ancient IT systems and old work baggage holds this company back, with not enough funding to fix it. Projects are consistently delayed from year to year. Band-Aids are applied to systems to hold them together "for another year....after year...after year...." If you like running on a treadmill - moderate effort, no distance - this is the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter awhile you really get tired of the over-used whale theme. I know it is your logo, but you really over do the theme a bit.

Best company I have worked for!

Manager (Former Employee)
Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery well run company. Stable. If you do a little extra, you can get rewarded. Good pay. Good hours. Professional place to work

ConsDon't really have any. It's a big company so you do have the normal HR issues with everyone following all the same rules no matter what the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Internship, Learned a lot and worked with phenomenal people

Investment Analytics (Current Employee)
Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life as an intern for more than a year

ProsThe atmosphere here is great, people are nice and helpful. I worked in PLFA as an Investment Analytics Intern and loved it.

ConsNone I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be more open.

Excellent company to work for

Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee)
Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice people and very family oriented, company has bonus plan at the end of yearly financials.

ConsCorporate politics...not what you know its who you know. HR is horrible in getting your resume and interview with the departments, you have to almost go directly to the hiring manager.

Monotonous hell.

Grunt (Former Employee)
Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Pacific Life as a contractor for less than a year

ProsOccasional casual day. How nice, they let the slaves wear jeans under their shackles once in a while.

ConsThe worst experience of my life... and I've had a catheter.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose weight. Seriously, people there take that whale thing too seriously.

It is who you know and not what you know

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible hours a and benefit

ConsDoes not promote base on job performance but more on favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees.

Reasonably good work hours, most everyone leaves by 3:30 p.m.

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, average pay, ability to work early shifts, opportunities to train and develop skills, good work environment. Huge percentage of employees have been around for years. Friendly work environment.

ConsDifficult to advance to higher levels. Traditional Monday-Friday with few opportunities to work remotely. No ability for 4 day work week. A bit zealous in number of projects and initiatives. Salary increases are virtually non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology. Too many manual processes amd work arounds needed to accomplish tasks. Is VIP a bonus we MIGHT get, or a salary increase? Message seems to change depending on how management wants to spin it.

Great company to work for with a bright future

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA very stable 140+ year company with good management. This is a medium-large sized company with about 2500 employees spread out in 3 major sites (Omaha, Aliso Viejo, and Newport Beach). There is a reason, Pacific Life has been around for this long. Management does a great job anticipating changes to come in the industry. There are many exciting things happening over the next several years. It's a great time to work for Pacific Life.

IT is, for the most part, at the cutting edge without sacrificing stability. We're mainly a Microsoft shop with emphasis towards mobile devices recently. Colleagues for the most part are very friendly and professional. There are office politics like with any other company but a lack of professionalism is not tolerated. It's a business casual dress environment. We have many long time employees, some who've been here for 35+ years. The good: We keep knowledge and experience in-house and we show that we value their efforts. If benefits and compensation was an issue, they can go elsewhere but they don't.

There are a lot of policies and procedures with selling insurance so naturally Pacific Life wants to keep turnovers to a minimum and keep good knowledgeable employees longer. Hiring contractors is the new trend but know that this is happening with other companies too. There is less risk for the company and it's easier to let them go if they are not performing up to standard. If they work out well and are a good fit, they will be hired as a permanent employee. It's funny how many new hires don't even do the little things right like being on time(or even a little early), working hard(instead of streaming videos or texting at their desks), not socializing too much, etc... (This applies to all companies so take notes for all you contractors out there).

Overall, it is a great place to work. I am fortunate to be in a good department that keeps work fresh, interesting and challenging. We are always looking to improve all aspects of the workplace. It's not perfect but I've been here 4 times longer than I have in any other place I've worked for. There's a reason for that. I read a lot of reviews about bad employees and bad management in here but keep in mind there are many disgruntled ex-employees.

ConsIt's not a fast growing small company so expect the same type of bureaucracy that comes with a medium-sized company. the philosophy here is minimizing risk, whether it's with investments or with employment.

Because of Pacific Life's ability to minimize investment risk, they've been able to better weather the 2008 recession and be better prepared for opportunities. This helps us to not lay off as many people as we would have and keep more people employed.

Long time employees. The bad: HR makes every effort to be on the employee's side when performance slides making it somewhat difficult to fire people. Poor performing employees often get multiple chances to correct themselves. It's true that the bad apples still around are very difficult to remove because of how HR sets up their employment policies. It's the price to pay for when HR errs more on the side of employees rights. It's unfortunate because it does have an adverse affect on morale.
Growth opportunities are limited by, well... opportunities. Timing is very important when it comes to opportunities for advancement but management doesn't often take risks at times to advance high performing workers and give them the training and mentoring they need to take them to the next step. Of course, different departments are run differently, some better and some worse, but in general I've observed this to be the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake reviews more pertinent and meaningful. Provide more opportunities to develop their skill sets. Provide more mentoring opportunities. Have the courage and resolve to remove non-productive employees.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Pacific Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pacific Life reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pacific Life CEO Jim Morris. All 69 reviews posted anonymously by Pacific Life employees.