Pacific Life

Updated November 12, 2014
3.3

Pacific Life President and CEO Jim Morris
Jim Morris

Pros
  • Good benefits and a salary that is competitive (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits and one of the last stressful companies in America according to Business Insider (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You will need to know massive amounts of information without missing a beat (in 4 reviews)

• Middle management are the worst I've experienced (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture and Employees!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time

Pros

Amazing and helpful employees, great benefits/perks and great work environment.
    Most of the employees have been around for years and are willing to share their knowledge with you.

Cons

Difficult to advance to higher levels.
    Things get repetitive after awhile which can be boring at times

The best work environment I have ever worked in.

Current Employee - Regional Marketing Coordinator/Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing pay and benefits, easy access to management, tons of room for advancement.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company.

Keep doing exactly what you are doing.

Great company!

Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pacific Life is a great company to work for, competitive benefits and salaries. The people working here have been employed by Pacific Life for a longer period of time, low personal turnover.

Cons

At times it can be hard to get promoted if your department has managers that are hesitant to do so, regardless of your performance.

Managment should give more opportunities to people who are adding value to the company.

As an internal wholesaling intern I had a very positive work experience with Pacific Life.

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaling in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaling in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pacific Life as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

From the first day that I started, the people there were all very friendly and truly wanted to see me succeed.

Cons

The training process was rather short, and as a result I spent a lot of time learning things as I went or asking people questions along the way.

Dead End Ahead

Current Employee - Analyst in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are decent and you can buy an additional week of vacation every year. The company matching is pretty good (company match of 6% and 100% vested at 5 years).

In my department and experience, I haven't had any micromanagers, though I know some exist.

There are opportunities for volunteer work, which is fun. This is one of the reasons I'd be proud to work at Pacific Life -- involvement in the community as well as company matching for charitable donations.

Cons

No room for advancement, unless you're related to someone or have mastered the art of brown-nosing. Want to wear jeans? It's gonna cost you $5, and only allowed on designated days. Sometimes there are free jeans days.

Stop losing valuable, knowledgeable employees. Too many have jumped ship for better opportunities elsewhere. This is why some departments suffer -- because they are staffed with the most unmotivated and bored workers who couldn't care less about producing quality work. There are no repercussions for lackluster performance.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work for a wonderful Manager, we had the same vision and understanding. If you do not like change, don't apply.

Cons

People who do not perform are occasionally overlooked, which burdens other hard working individuals.

Think about your employees and keep them happy. Start a 4 day work week.

Real Estate Division

Former Employee - Real Estate Division in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Division in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and a salary that is competitive.

Cons

Management is horrible, employees are usually left wondering why so many meetings to talk about nothing important. Training is not possible and yet expectations are high. Management are paid very well and work little hours, while the rest of the employees work hard for no gain.

Not what they hype it up to be

Current Employee - Annuity Information Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Annuity Information Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

health insurance is decent and you get the ability to purchase an additional week of PTO.

Cons

There is a lot of clicks if you will and the gossip is all around you. You may be the person being 'talked' about and never know it without the ability to read between the lines. If you don't keep your head down, mouth shut, and just do your routinely boring 8-5 job, then you will be a target. It may not seem like you are micro managed, but really you are. When somebody comes up to you and just asks how things are going it's not as black and white as they want you to think. In reality, there has been a discussion about you (i.e maybe you did a call wrong, maybe you asked the wrong questions, etc) but they will never address it specifically. So in essence, you will never know what you did wrong to improve, only stand out and be the next targeted person. Not sure what happens to the targets yet as i haven't been in the company very long. The training classes are small maybe 5-6 people is the average, but by the end of training, you'll lose 50%. That should have been my first red flag. During the short time i've been there, i've heard stories about people that they didn't like, said something that didn't 'conform' etc even if it was years ago. Now, that's not too professional is it. OJT is a joke and most people are on a power trip and seem to try to beat you down. You don't get to know your co workers and almost get the feeling of having to be a stepford wife. While the pay and benefits are decent, there is enough in this company to drive you out the door.

Not sure where to begin. No advice i can give right now that would change the way things are done without literally changing the entire structure from training to the people that work there.

Great Company

I worked at Pacific Life full-time

Pros

The benefit package and vacation time meet or exceed industry standards.
    The company is very family oriented allowing for time off as needed for loved ones.
    Coworkers are like family and they sponsor activities outside of work to support those relationships.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. Most of the middle management has been promoted within due to time of service rather than leadership abilities.

As this is an older company, the attitude is often is "We've always done it that way."

Invest in the development of your middle management beyond sending them to class. Add performance results based on leadership and development for management.

Client services processors.

I have been working at Pacific Life

Pros

This is a great company with many great perks. This company has a great CEO, Jim Morris is by far the best I've had the opportunity to work for.

Cons

The managment is not all the best or professional.

Be more professional and aviod being so bias towards certain employees where it is so obvious.

Pacific Life Photos

View of the Pacific Life Insurance headquarter office located in Newport Beach, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.123)
the Aliso Viejo building