Pacific Life

Pacific Life Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Pacific Life President and CEO Jim Morris

Jim Morris

Pros
  • Good benefits, Nice pay, Clean area, Nice building overall, Free coffee---but not past 10am (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and one of the last stressful companies in America according to Business Insider (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You will need to know massive amounts of information without missing a beat (in 4 reviews)

• No ability to work from home or have a flexible schedule (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A job I never dread going to.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsI work with wonderful people who are down to earth, kind and family oriented. I have the best boss and feel very fortunate to work in this type of environment.

ConsI find the HR dept. dissapointing and Corp Audit poorly ran.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be a good time to take a close look at what's happening with Corp. Audit Mgmt. It ran so beautifully for so many years.

Contract & Licensing Specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery nice company to work for. They really take care of employees by having events every so often. No one is looking over your shoulder every single minute, they trust that you can do your job well.

ConsHard to move up in your department, however, you are always welcome to apply to different positions in other departments.

Great company and loyal staff.

ProsFair compensation and great benefit package.

ConsPath to advancement is unclear.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider programs that recognize and appreciate new talent introduced to the company as well as you recognize the employees who have served for decades.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place, no ambition

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsLocations is great,( although HR try to substitute location for salary !), very easy culture, job security, lots of great people. Very un - stressful environment. Safe harbor in an economic storm.

ConsZero ambition of senior management....they are happy to sit and retire in their role. Immense lack of ability from the majority of Senior Management. massively over heavy at the senior management level. You get promoted because you are a friend of Snr Management, not because of your abilities. Place is run like an old boys club. Company has a huge amount of talent stuck at lower and middle management and senior staff level with no where to go. Serious lack of opportunities to progress or be promoted. People joke about brain attrition if you are there longer than 2 years. If you are looking for somewhere to work to provide a steady job for the rest of your life with zero pace, this is it. If you want an innovative place where you can succeed and be promoted, this is not the place. Their policy is not to pay the best or the worst salaries...but just enough....and this sums up the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many senior managers with no drive. All the talent is mid and lower management and at staff level. Zero chance for promotion or advancement based on talent. Its a pure politics play and you have to be'in the club'. Don't be surprised to see an outflow of talent now that the job market is picking up.....You need to overhaul the position, title, promotion procedures to keep staff.....and stop promoting people because they are friends of senior management.....promote them on their abilities.....you can turn a mediocre firm into a great firm.....!!!

Fairly good environment, used to care more about their employees

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsFairly relaxed atmosphere, good pay. People are generally good to work with, not many Type-A, must-have-it-yesterday types.

ConsHard to move up, starting to care more about saving a buck than making employees happy. More and more people are unhappy with their jobs due to levels of work increasing but staffing staying the same or decreasing.

Yes, it is possible to die of boredom

Presentation Specialist (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

Pros8 to 5 hours. People are nice enough. Lovely location.

ConsI have never been so bored in my life! The pace is positively GLACIAL. The employees have been here forever and, as you might expect, do their level best to protect their positions, fly under the radar, and coast. Processes are astonishingly antiquated (no one is expected or encouraged to offer any suggestions on improvements), mangement is completely paternalistic (you GET to wear jeans when THEY deem it acceptable), and the entire culture is one of compliance.

People follow the rules, don't question, and hope it all stays calm until they can retire or die...of boredom.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecend from your fifth floor fortress and get some first hand experience in how docile and unimaginative your people are.

Many talented people but mired in outdated technology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIndustry is interesting, people are generally professional. Benefits are very good.

ConsOutdated technology and management approach.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pursuing appropriate new technology for products and operations

Friendly people to work with, but poor compensation and zero discipline of poor performing employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsGreat benefits (health, 401k, company contribution). Friendly people to work with and no fear at all of being fired no matter what. Conservative and stable company.

ConsVery poor compensation for the market we live in. HR is well aware of the "PL discount." What I mean is that compensation relative to peers is very very poor and with that means you can work here and have no fear of being fired and no need to work very hard or perform well . They are not progressive at all and an extremely reactionary company. Management allows people to get away with a lot and seem not to care about poor performing employees. They talk a lot about employee growth, however, the best way to get a promotion would be to leave the company for a few years and come back at a higher level.

The only flexibility in work schedule is if you ride a van pool you can adjust your hours accordingly. Other then that there are zero opportunities for any other times of flex schedules (work from home, 9 80 or 4 10 schedules).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of higher performing employees; properly discipline poor ones. Become a little more progressive in business and work flexibility.

The people are nice and makes working there a great experience

Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsAnnual bonus is a great thing each year

ConsHR is useless, very difficult to get in due to most of them working onl part-time or a few days of the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut source the HR department

Good work-life balance, decent pay, benefits, 401K matching

Director (Former Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsGood work-life balance, leave policy, core values, opportunity for growth for strong performers. Decent benefits, 401k matching, onsite cafeteria, locker room with showers, good location in Newport Beach c

ConsNo flexibility in work schedule other than start/stop times; must work 5-day weeks, and no work from home opportunities. Too accepting of weak performers, and there are a lot that have been there for many years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Pacific Life? Contribute to the Community!