Pacific Life

Updated November 12, 2014
3.3

Pacific Life President and CEO Jim Morris
Jim Morris

Pros
  • Good benefits and a salary that is competitive (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits and one of the last stressful companies in America according to Business Insider (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • You will need to know massive amounts of information without missing a beat (in 4 reviews)

• Middle management are the worst I've experienced (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture and Employees!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time

Pros

Amazing and helpful employees, great benefits/perks and great work environment.
    Most of the employees have been around for years and are willing to share their knowledge with you.

Cons

Difficult to advance to higher levels.
    Things get repetitive after awhile which can be boring at times

The best work environment I have ever worked in.

Current Employee - Regional Marketing Coordinator/Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing pay and benefits, easy access to management, tons of room for advancement.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company.

Keep doing exactly what you are doing.

Great company!

Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pacific Life is a great company to work for, competitive benefits and salaries. The people working here have been employed by Pacific Life for a longer period of time, low personal turnover.

Cons

At times it can be hard to get promoted if your department has managers that are hesitant to do so, regardless of your performance.

Managment should give more opportunities to people who are adding value to the company.

As an internal wholesaling intern I had a very positive work experience with Pacific Life.

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaling in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaling in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pacific Life as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

From the first day that I started, the people there were all very friendly and truly wanted to see me succeed.

Cons

The training process was rather short, and as a result I spent a lot of time learning things as I went or asking people questions along the way.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work for a wonderful Manager, we had the same vision and understanding. If you do not like change, don't apply.

Cons

People who do not perform are occasionally overlooked, which burdens other hard working individuals.

Think about your employees and keep them happy. Start a 4 day work week.

Dead End Ahead

Current Employee - Analyst in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are decent and you can buy an additional week of vacation every year. The company matching is pretty good (company match of 6% and 100% vested at 5 years).

In my department and experience, I haven't had any micromanagers, though I know some exist.

There are opportunities for volunteer work, which is fun. This is one of the reasons I'd be proud to work at Pacific Life -- involvement in the community as well as company matching for charitable donations.

Cons

No room for advancement, unless you're related to someone or have mastered the art of brown-nosing. Want to wear jeans? It's gonna cost you $5, and only allowed on designated days. Sometimes there are free jeans days.

Stop losing valuable, knowledgeable employees. Too many have jumped ship for better opportunities elsewhere. This is why some departments suffer -- because they are staffed with the most unmotivated and bored workers who couldn't care less about producing quality work. There are no repercussions for lackluster performance.

Real Estate Division

Former Employee - Real Estate Division in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Division in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and a salary that is competitive.

Cons

Management is horrible, employees are usually left wondering why so many meetings to talk about nothing important. Training is not possible and yet expectations are high. Management are paid very well and work little hours, while the rest of the employees work hard for no gain.

Great Company

I worked at Pacific Life full-time

Pros

The benefit package and vacation time meet or exceed industry standards.
    The company is very family oriented allowing for time off as needed for loved ones.
    Coworkers are like family and they sponsor activities outside of work to support those relationships.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. Most of the middle management has been promoted within due to time of service rather than leadership abilities.

As this is an older company, the attitude is often is "We've always done it that way."

Invest in the development of your middle management beyond sending them to class. Add performance results based on leadership and development for management.

Client services processors.

I have been working at Pacific Life

Pros

This is a great company with many great perks. This company has a great CEO, Jim Morris is by far the best I've had the opportunity to work for.

Cons

The managment is not all the best or professional.

Be more professional and aviod being so bias towards certain employees where it is so obvious.

Management needs to be reviewed - RSD

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Friends for life have been made

Cons

HR needs to take a better look at what is going on ... when a business unit has had the majority of their FTEs leave (75% of whom were either women or employed for 5 plus years), something is drastically wrong.

Middle management leave a lot to be desired. Each division has their own IT department - Corp & Life appear to have their act together, however RSD does not. RSD has been allowed to create mini empires among managers & directors who have no business in those positions because they lack training, people skills, knowledge and experience.

When you have inexperienced managers pushing low level employees ahead of senior employees, who have put in the time and effort to move up. Only to be told, that "I don't care how long you have been here, I don't promote people unless I want to!" shows obvious discrimination and favoritism. And everyone that has been hired within the last 2.5 years are all the same type of people - inexperienced. But the manager wants you to give away your knowledge and skill set in order to train them to do the work at hand. Middle and upper management are cognizant of what is occurring and "trust that the decisions their managers and directors make are the right ones".

PL has a culture issue within RSD that needs to be addressed and until that is done, they will always have a high turnover rate.

Hire managers and directors that know what they are doing before you hire them. On the job training and training after the fact does not work!

HR needs to be more diligent in their exit interviewing processes - for they virtually do not exist.

Pacific Life Photos

View of the Pacific Life Insurance headquarter office located in Newport Beach, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.123)
the Aliso Viejo building