Pacific Life

Updated November 12, 2014
3.3

Pacific Life President and CEO Jim Morris
Jim Morris

Pros
  • Good benefits and a salary that is competitive (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits and one of the last stressful companies in America according to Business Insider (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You will need to know massive amounts of information without missing a beat (in 4 reviews)

• Middle management are the worst I've experienced (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The people are nice and makes working there a great experience

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Analyst in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Analyst in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Annual bonus is a great thing each year

Cons

HR is useless, very difficult to get in due to most of them working onl part-time or a few days of the week.

Out source the HR department

Good stable company

I have been working at Pacific Life

Pros

Good pay, comforfable atmosphere, friendly workers

Cons

Hard to advance beyond your immediate team

Opportunities for those who don't wait to be coddled

Current Employee - Life Marketing in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Life Marketing in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay/ benefits. You meet lifelong friends. Opportunity for stability, growth, longevity.

Cons

Too many "project management" processes that end up developing their own agendas without including the stakeholders in the results.

Listen to your end-use clients and their direct PL contacts. Drive processes from HERE instead of reverse engineering through internal systems first.

Great company but hard to climb up the ladder

Current Employee - Accounting Analyst in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Analyst in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and one of the last stressful companies in America according to Business Insider. Training is very thorough and managers make sure new employees are well acquainted with the company's values.

Cons

I believe that promotions are based on politics rather than merit. Although the job is stable, I feel they pay below the industry average in this field.

Don't pass up a great chance if you get one!

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Pay, 401(k) and experience. Its a private company and is very stable. Run very well.

Cons

Opportunity for advancement could improve

Doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Cruel and unusual punishment!

Former Employee - New Business Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - New Business Analyst in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice benefits if you can withstand the place!

Cons

Middle management are the worst I've experienced. Not the real humane kind! Rediculing and self esteem busting to well established, knowledgable employees. It's the worst case of clickiness! The weird thing is it's the unhappy and ungly that make the cool team at this company. Not sure if it's jealousy or just plain ignorance? The people here do not treat people well. I was referred by one who has worked there for years. I still hear sad stories that effect a comrad and fellow employee. It truly makes me quit frankly ill at the adult behavior at this company. I should have realized this when I was waiting for and interview... I saw folks on break, one of which had a very loud trash mouth in the downstairs interior courtyard. She actually ended up being one of my trainers! There's just very small town mentality here with very little class with the exception of one upper manager There were two that do stick out as polite and politically correct, however not sure how they don't witness the behavior of their supervisors. It's a cruel and unusual punishment of a job! Also, treated like bad adolescent children... This is no way to work, happiness doesn't exist this way trust me!

Take a little observance of the clickiness of your supervisors. They should not be trash talking other employees while sitting in a training room with new employee recruits. It sets an extremely bad tone for all the employees. Company moral is kept down right from the gate! Be more open to employees frustrations, everyone might be a little happier getting things off thier chest! Just as I am writing this.

I have been working at Pacific Life

Pros

Newport Beach location is nice. Did I mention the location was nice. Unless your in IT.

Cons

Divisions openly treat corporate employees like crap (RSD is the worst). Khanh is a horrible human being. No CIO so systems are so disparate. Raises are nonexistent. No ability to work from home or have a flexible schedule. Everyone in mid management doesn't have a clue and senior management just keeps putting their heads in the sands about it. Most staff are unhappy because it's all politics. Environment is very reactive not proactive, so it's in constant kaos (case in point is the recent power outage). Employee cafe food is horrible.

Talk to the employees and look for the changes needed. Stop trusting your mid manager that it's all ok. Its pretty on the outside (building) but not in the inside (employee moral).

Not the best, but not the worst.

I have been working at Pacific Life full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits
    Great 401k plan
    Flexible hours
    Good pay

Cons

The Supervisors are the most inexperienced people I have ever worked with. Extreme micromanagers!!! There is no area for advancement unless you know someone... The moral in the office is the worst I have ever seen it. If you are not part of Corporate you are treated so differently. No perks are given to those working in the Life Division..

Hire Supervisors with skills. Stop promising that things will get better, you know next year you are just going to implement another change that doesn't make sense to fix the last change that didn't work. You have no knowledge of how to make it better and you rely on the employees to figure it out for you. Read the comments on this site, learn from them, and realize that your employees are unhappy with how they are treated.

Field Vice President

Former Employee - Regional Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1) Strong Focused Leadership
    2) Good product and competitive comp for advisors
    3) Good work life and family life balance

Cons

1) Salary not as competitive as other carriers

Best company I have worked for!

Former Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Pacific Life full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very well run company. Stable. If you do a little extra, you can get rewarded. Good pay. Good hours. Professional place to work

Cons

Don't really have any. It's a big company so you do have the normal HR issues with everyone following all the same rules no matter what the situation.

Keep up the good work.

Pacific Life Photos

View of the Pacific Life Insurance headquarter office located in Newport Beach, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.123)
the Aliso Viejo building