Pacific Life

Updated August 18, 2014

3.3

Pacific Life President and CEO Jim Morris
Jim Morris

Pros
  • Good benefits, Nice pay, Clean area, Nice building overall, Free coffee---but not past 10am (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and one of the last stressful companies in America according to Business Insider (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You will need to know massive amounts of information without missing a beat (in 4 reviews)

• No ability to work from home or have a flexible schedule (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company I have worked for!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Very well run company. Stable. If you do a little extra, you can get rewarded. Good pay. Good hours. Professional place to work

Cons

Don't really have any. It's a big company so you do have the normal HR issues with everyone following all the same rules no matter what the situation.

Keep up the good work.

Great Internship, Learned a lot and worked with phenomenal people

Current Employee - Investment Analytics  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Analytics in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

The atmosphere here is great, people are nice and helpful. I worked in PLFA as an Investment Analytics Intern and loved it.

Cons

None I can think of.

Upper management should be more open.

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Analyst  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Analyst in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Nice people and very family oriented, company has bonus plan at the end of yearly financials.

Cons

Corporate politics...not what you know its who you know. HR is horrible in getting your resume and interview with the departments, you have to almost go directly to the hiring manager.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Monotonous hell.

Former Employee - Grunt  in  Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Grunt in Aliso Viejo, CA

Pros

Occasional casual day. How nice, they let the slaves wear jeans under their shackles once in a while.

Cons

The worst experience of my life... and I've had a catheter.

Lose weight. Seriously, people there take that whale thing too seriously.

Good Company; Slow Progress

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Pros

Great work-life balance. Good atmosphere, people and work environment. You can feel like family here. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

The company is the very essence of slow and stodgy. Ancient IT systems and old work baggage holds this company back, with not enough funding to fix it. Projects are consistently delayed from year to year. Band-Aids are applied to systems to hold them together "for another year....after year...after year...." If you like running on a treadmill - moderate effort, no distance - this is the place.

After awhile you really get tired of the over-used whale theme. I know it is your logo, but you really over do the theme a bit.

It is who you know and not what you know

Pros

Flexible hours a and benefit

Cons

Does not promote base on job performance but more on favoritism.

Appreciate your employees.

Reasonably good work hours, most everyone leaves by 3:30 p.m.

Pros

Good benefits, average pay, ability to work early shifts, opportunities to train and develop skills, good work environment. Huge percentage of employees have been around for years. Friendly work environment.

Cons

Difficult to advance to higher levels. Traditional Monday-Friday with few opportunities to work remotely. No ability for 4 day work week. A bit zealous in number of projects and initiatives. Salary increases are virtually non existent.

Invest in technology. Too many manual processes amd work arounds needed to accomplish tasks. Is VIP a bonus we MIGHT get, or a salary increase? Message seems to change depending on how management wants to spin it.

Great company to work for with a bright future

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

Pros

A very stable 140+ year company with good management. This is a medium-large sized company with about 2500 employees spread out in 3 major sites (Omaha, Aliso Viejo, and Newport Beach). There is a reason, Pacific Life has been around for this long. Management does a great job anticipating changes to come in the industry. There are many exciting things happening over the next several years. It's a great time to work for Pacific Life.

IT is, for the most part, at the cutting edge without sacrificing stability. We're mainly a Microsoft shop with emphasis towards mobile devices recently. Colleagues for the most part are very friendly and professional. There are office politics like with any other company but a lack of professionalism is not tolerated. It's a business casual dress environment. We have many long time employees, some who've been here for 35+ years. The good: We keep knowledge and experience in-house and we show that we value their efforts. If benefits and compensation was an issue, they can go elsewhere but they don't.

There are a lot of policies and procedures with selling insurance so naturally Pacific Life wants to keep turnovers to a minimum and keep good knowledgeable employees longer. Hiring contractors is the new trend but know that this is happening with other companies too. There is less risk for the company and it's easier to let them go if they are not performing up to standard. If they work out well and are a good fit, they will be hired as a permanent employee. It's funny how many new hires don't even do the little things right like being on time(or even a little early), working hard(instead of streaming videos or texting at their desks), not socializing too much, etc... (This applies to all companies so take notes for all you contractors out there).

Overall, it is a great place to work. I am fortunate to be in a good department that keeps work fresh, interesting and challenging. We are always looking to improve all aspects of the workplace. It's not perfect but I've been here 4 times longer than I have in any other place I've worked for. There's a reason for that. I read a lot of reviews about bad employees and bad management in here but keep in mind there are many disgruntled ex-employees.

Cons

It's not a fast growing small company so expect the same type of bureaucracy that comes with a medium-sized company. the philosophy here is minimizing risk, whether it's with investments or with employment.

Because of Pacific Life's ability to minimize investment risk, they've been able to better weather the 2008 recession and be better prepared for opportunities. This helps us to not lay off as many people as we would have and keep more people employed.

Long time employees. The bad: HR makes every effort to be on the employee's side when performance slides making it somewhat difficult to fire people. Poor performing employees often get multiple chances to correct themselves. It's true that the bad apples still around are very difficult to remove because of how HR sets up their employment policies. It's the price to pay for when HR errs more on the side of employees rights. It's unfortunate because it does have an adverse affect on morale.
    Growth opportunities are limited by, well... opportunities. Timing is very important when it comes to opportunities for advancement but management doesn't often take risks at times to advance high performing workers and give them the training and mentoring they need to take them to the next step. Of course, different departments are run differently, some better and some worse, but in general I've observed this to be the case.

Make reviews more pertinent and meaningful. Provide more opportunities to develop their skill sets. Provide more mentoring opportunities. Have the courage and resolve to remove non-productive employees.

Incredible Experience

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Excellent learning environment. All employees are helpful, attentive and sincere. The culture is very much like a family, everyone is there to support and encourage you. The Actuarial Intern Program is quickly growing into one of the most formidable in the actuarial field.

Cons

The company does not provide housing for interns, though it does temporarily for transfer employees.

Continue with the excellent progress

Nice people, not very challenging

Current Employee - IT Systems Cons  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - IT Systems Cons in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Nice people, solid company. I would expect them to be around for a long time. Many people there are 20+ years in the company. If you put in an average effort, you can stay there as long as you like

Cons

Everything moves at a snail's pace compared to other companies I have been with. I have talked to other newer employees and get the same story, it's a difficult adjustment. They actually charge you for coffee!

unravel red tape and endless meetings/committees to get anything done

Worked for Pacific Life? Contribute to the Community!