Pacific Life & Annuity

www.pacificlifeandannuity.com

Pacific Life & Annuity Reviews

3.1

James T. Morris

I had a great time in my short stint with Pacific Life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pacific Life & Annuity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pacific Life had a laid-back but hard-working atmosphere. There environment was encouraging, and there was opportunity for advancement.

Cons

In my very short time there, I honestly did not notice any downsides. Omaha is great and Pacific Life is, too. A great fit.

I can't give any advice to management. The communication was great, the enthusiasm was consistent but not overbearing, and the they were just good people.

Great Benefits; Slow Progress

I worked at Pacific Life & Annuity

Pros

Great work-life balance. Good people, atmosphere and culture. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

This company is the very essence of slow and stodgy. Ancient IT systems and past baggage hold this company back. Projects are delayed for years. Insufficient funding causes necessary upgrades to be delayed "for another year....after year....after year......". Band-Aids are applied to systems to keep them going. If you like running a treadmill - moderate progress, no forward movement - this is the place.

The whale theme which is very over-used gets really old after awhile. I know it is your logo, but everywhere you look, there's another whale!

Annuities..how you sucked the living life out of me

Former Employee - Business Representative  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Business Representative in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life & Annuity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a paycheck at the cost of your well being.

Cons

This place is the worst place I've ever worked at. I actually worked there from 2001-2003. In reading the more recent reviews..not much has changed. The micro-managing, the blacklists, management explicitly telling you "a good employee is one that shuts their trap and pretend everything is good", littered with extremely poor managers. Won't even approve your educational reimbursements even though it was promised as part of the benefit. This is a sad and extremely demoralizing place to work. I was so so happy when I finally got out.

it's proven over time they don't care

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be great, not so much anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life & Annuity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be one of the best places to work in Orange County in insurance/financial services; of course there weren't and still are not many other choices. Location is good - now in two offices, both have their advantages.

Cons

The culture has changed in recent years. Used to be a company that very much valued its employees but that changed (and not in a good way) as management changed. Depending on the department and division, there is not much opportunity for advancement. Some departments seem to compete against others, instead of working as a team, an attitude sadly supported and led by management.

Great Company - Poor Leadership

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Pacific Life & Annuity

Pros

Pay and benefits are hard to beat.

Cons

When the luster of pay and benefits wears off, you are left with no motivation to excel.

It's important to understand that opportunity does not equal a better job title. Know your staff and use their skills.

Very professional.

Former Employee - Annuity and Mutual Fund Wholesaler  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Annuity and Mutual Fund Wholesaler in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life & Annuity

Pros

Great attitude of senior management.

Cons

Technology was sometimes difficult to deal with. (Expense reports.)

Keep up the great work.

An Awesome Employer The Best Place I ever Worked, The Teaching, Learning, Team Ship Is Amazing.

Former Employee - Small Business Benefits Plan Administration  in  Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Small Business Benefits Plan Administration in Orange, CA

I worked at Pacific Life & Annuity

Pros

Benefits, Gr8 management Team, reviews YOU Review You Superiors and They Review You. Th Love you and If you Low in Performance, They Train you. Attitude, Being a Positive Team member is more important than your Schooling & Work Experience. We R together 1/3 of our LIVEs we must be Able to Get ALONG... I won Employee of The year not because I am SMart. Because of MY willing Heart to Work with All Ppl I encountered in the Workforce. Amen.

Cons

Recession caused down sizing. Cutbacks makes work more competitive so takes the JOY due to High demand Lower census MORe stress longer hours and MIcro management. Not a Relaxing Enviroment for Some One with Fibromyaglia Amen.

Apply Enjoy Be Bless, Get all they Offer so so much, They care and make Life on the Pacific Gr8.

some managers do not represent the culture that PL describes on thier company web page.

Former Employee - IT Engineer  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life & Annuity

Pros

pay and benefits are great.

Cons

to bad there are no laws against workplace Bullying.

dont allow bullying!!!

PacLIfe

Former Employee - Attorney  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Pacific Life & Annuity

Pros

Helpful feedback from management reviews.

Cons

Competitiveness amongst peers is extreme, backstabbing.

Improved leadership, better oversight of employees, listening.

Lots of nice people, few stars

I have been working at Pacific Life & Annuity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are very good. Comprehensive medical and dental options are provided, as well as a retirement account with a generous company match. The cafeteria has delicious cookies.

Cons

Pacific Life does very little to gain or keep high performing employees. Good performance is rewarded with more work and longer hours, while poor performance has no consequences. Office politics are rampant and utterly crippling to efficiency and progress. Training is nonexistent, and new employees often do not have a workstation until their second week or later due to poor planning. Bad/nonexistent management is rampant, as people who are skilled individual contributors get promoted into management with no training and no screening as to their management skills. New hires are barely interviewed (we once hired someone for a highly Excel-based job who had never used Excel, because no one bothered to ask about his Excel experience!) No one really seems to know how to interview at all - they just go through the motions and hire whoever tickles their fancy. The most skilled employees leave for other opportunities, while HR turns a blind eye. It is almost impossible to fire anyone. The culture values face time far above work product. A person who puts in overtime to complete a task is valued more highly than a person who completes the same task more efficiently without needing to put in overtime.

Set high standards based on output and allow your employees to use their own judgement to meet those standards. Move low performers out instead of saddling the high performers with their work. Value production over face time. Treat your employees like adults instead of children.

Worked for Pacific Life & Annuity? Contribute to the Community!