Pacific Oaks College

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
1.0

CEO

One of the best job opportunities and professional growth path of my career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Pacific Oaks College

Pros

Diversity value, great employment package, strong community comittment to values & mission, good work/life balance, advancement opportunities

Cons

Lackness of standardized policies and procedures, faculty-administration relationship challenges, transitions.

Continue to preserve history and background of the Institutiion, streghten policies and procedures in all areas, enhance training programs

Vast improvement working here

I worked at Pacific Oaks College

Pros

Co-workers, benefits and other small things. I had a good relationship working with co-workers at PO. We found time to laugh and enjoy knowing we can make a difference. Benefits were good (i.e. medical/ dental/ vision/ retirement/vacation) and they just added yoga and casual Fridays. They had a health and wellness week, not much attendance so all need to support more. A lot of turnover when I first came but it's getting better. Most in faculty and admissions. Good place to learn A LOT and not much red tape like other places I've worked at.

Cons

Students demanding everything, even if it doesn't make sense. Not much interaction with Children's School. evaluation need to happen and salary increases. Clarify jobs and certain departments need to understand how hard everyone works--give some slack. Create more opportunities to move to next level

management has to make sure that everyone understands their jobs, and just shouldn't throw someone in a job and expect excellence...at least not all the time.

Learning Experience at Pacific Oaks College

I worked at Pacific Oaks College

Pros

Enjoyed working with students. Enjoyed working with colleagues in my department, staff and faculty. Benefits are good.

Cons

No room for growth. Low morale. No training provided on-site. Management relies on its partner company TCES (in Chicago) to train and the admissions department, but they (TCES) lack information on Pacific Oaks culture and how operations work to train the staff. Admissions is paid an entry level salary and are expected to counsel students, recruit, plan events, and provide advisement to students on classes to take.

Admissions Management need to improve employee morale, communicate with all staff about problems, provide optimal time to discuss/provide feedback on employee (evaluations), professional development and/or team building events, workshops, retreats in which management have to participate. Management needs to be evaluated by subordinates.

unfortunate working environment, high stress, high turnover--avoid at all costs

I worked at Pacific Oaks College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Most of the staff are a plus. I believe since it is hell working for this institution, staff band together as a way to cope with the day to day stress and turmoil of this place.
    *Food, I guess? The company likes to constantly buy you food and it is perhaps for you to eat your feelings?

Cons

Where do I begin:

1. High stress
    2. High Turnover--constantly receiving emails of people whose position was "eliminated" only to have a replacement with the exact same type of responsibilities. You're not fooling anyone.
    3. The college's own asset--students, are viewed solely as profit. This fact alone put a bad taste in my mouth.
    4. In regards to point 3, you come to the institution in the first place because they sell you on how they are socially just, anti-bias, etc. Once you are in, you realize that you were sold on things that aren't true.
    5. No clarity on what your role actually is...no matter what position you have.
    6. Communication between departments is absolutely terrible.....Atrocious, the WORST! No one can communicate effectively. When events do happen with various departments coordinating it, all hell breaks loose.
    7. When you envision a draconian work place, where all of its employees are constantly battling with depression, praying to be laid off, or are using all hours of the day to apply to other jobs.....you found it at PO!

I really do wish management would take this advice. If this school continues as it was while I was there, it will be another for-profit-degree-mill that does not serve our society but hinders it. This company struggles internally and a lot has to be done.

beware of borderline unethical management, incompetent leaderships, high turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pacific Oaks College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

you learn what not to do in management. helped me with personal growth and values.

Cons

too many to list. this is truly a sad and fear based place to work.

stay away

Former Employee - Instructor in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pacific Oaks College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the small size, proximity to DT Pasadena if on campus, some staff members are very warm, free parking lot if on campus, easy access to technology.

Cons

management, lack of clear organization, too many faculties are changing a lot, very little to no control over syllabus, difficult to manage conflicts.

may wont to try to value all staff members.

This place is hell

I worked at Pacific Oaks College

Pros

The location of the school is great. You are right next to downtown Pasadena and their wonderful resturants and places to shop.

Cons

There is no room for advancement. They would tell people that they are being promoted and give them new job titles but people were forced to keep the same pay. The school was bought by the The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. TCS has just recently fired many employees and Pacific oaks has fired many of their employees also. Many new people were hired but are not qualified for their job. They run the school like telemarketing business not like a place school

Try to bring up employee moral. Many people are not happy with their pay or benefits but there is other ways to make employees happy. Bring back the company parties to help bring moral and hire people who are capable of during their job.

Sad and unfortunate

Former Employee - Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pacific Oaks College

Pros

In hopes that new blood can keep this great institution afloat, bring it back to the incredible history of many years gone by.

Cons

Unfortunately for the past 14+ yrs this incredible school has gone through some tragic transitions. The past admin dragged it through the mud. The future of this once great institution feels very unstable.

Look back at 1990 when this school was shining, rich and busy with students trying to enroll. Bring back this foundation, this vision, this incredible model for early education that was known throughout the country.