Pacific Office Automation

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014
3.1

Doug Pitassi

Great training for jobs for the rest of your life

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Definitely focused on continuous training for everyone--even the veteran reps were required to participate which made it very valuable for all the newer people. They pay the over achiever

Cons

They underpay the under achiever. It's a lot of work but so should every 6 figure potential paying job. The company culture is that of work hard, play hard.

Most stressed-out year of my life.

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are the only thing good about this company.

Cons

Everything else. They sell you on their work hard, play hard culture, however the company motto says it all: "I'd rather be working".

I heard the rumors before I started about POA "burning & turning" their employees, but it isn't a rumor. I guess for a company on the way up, you can get away with that style, but if you want to stabilize, you'll need to give more than lip service to your management consultants' processes.

High highs, low lows

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time

Pros

Potential income, not being confined to an office, supportive coworkers

Cons

Long hours, luck of the draw (some territories are not well developed, making it much more difficult to hit targets and make money), hostile upper management (company president and some branch managers publicly personally attack reps)

Tone it down on the unprofessional attacks of reps. This isn't the marines and it defeats company morale.

Give credit to reps who aren't in well developed territories. Maintaining a customer base is much easier than new client onboarding.

Practice what you preach. Listen more than you speak.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slave labor wanted

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation

Pros

Only in Washington and Oregon markets will you make money.

Cons

They will do everything to keep your commissions from you. Read your employment contract before you sign it. It's designed for you to sell for them and hold your commission until you quit. Then you are S O L. They say they are doing you a favor for offering a "draw" instead of straight up commission. You spend half your day handling current customer's problems and then they guilt trip you into thinking you are overpaid. My advice, if you are that desperate for a job, go sell cars. You will feel better about yourself, that's how sleazy this company is.

Get over your greed. Sometimes I wonder how you sleep at night.

no HR department = no moral compass for corporate culture

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

better training than most competitors. good assortment of products to offer

Cons

Awful service department. no implication on the service manager, they are simply understaffed by at least 6. promise 4 hour service response time and the reality is 8-16 hours. no moral compass from the top management to the salesreps. management supplies alcohol both in the office and at local bars which leads to many dui's and poor decisions including affairs. the reps that are producing good sales can sleep with married employees, get in legal trouble and their job is secure, no matter the transgression.

enforce HR issues. having some standards will make employees feel better about who they work for.

Sales Representative

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money, Learning the Sales Process, Company paid trips, builds self motivation - if you are able to do this job - you are able to do a lot more things in the future

Cons

If you do not like to work hard, this is not the job for you. Long hours, Lots and lots of cold calling,

Excellent Company to Work For, Culture of Winning

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best Training Program in the industry, I don't care how good you are they will make you better. Integrity, Excellent leadership in particular, Doug Patasi, John Bigelow, Terry Newsome,...I was in sales but their service department is excellent.

Cons

None, they make mistakes from time to time like everyone else, but they are quick to fix them.

Keep your eyes open for new sales reps.

Best Company to Work For

Current Employee - Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have witnessed the growth of this company personally and it is electric. SInce 1976, POA has never had a year of negative growth. Now, as the largest independent copier dealer in the US we have the resources to help our clients when problems occur. POA turnover is less than 28% (sales) company wide. The industry standards for turnover are close to 40% in the same field. Our management is key, current and x-employees would agree that the trainning you recieve is unpresidented to any other program out there. The more you sell the more people will have an opprotunity to make. Promotions and career advnacement happen quickly as new markets for our company our openning up on a yearly basis. I was lucky to find a company that would trust promoting me to management at the age of 23. While working I also coach for both of my kids teams which is great balance. POA is very involved in the community if you google Pacific Office Automation "news" you will see there are many of accolades that we have received including "life time achievement" awards from the manufactures we represent.

Cons

The frist two years can be tough in the POA sales career. You typically work more hours and it can be very demanding. Technical sales require a lot of product knowledge no way around it. Show me a good sales career out there where you do not make a tremendous investment in the frist two years? This is hard sales and if someone lacks motivation in this job they will most likey fail.

Our processes in place are great and this is proven by our great successes

I feel cheated.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job is interesting and you will enjoy it - but you better work from 7 am to 7pm everyday.

Cons

The company is cheap. They will start you so called "Draw" and make you pay that back - forget the word Salary if you want to work here. Plus, they don't want to pay for the quality employees bring to the table. They want to give you as little as possible and make you beg to be paid what they should be paying you.

Its a tough job and employee turnover is really high; don't just give the good leads to the top tier who don't need them to make numbers anyway.

You either make it or you don't

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation

Pros

Great culture, lots of company outings. Great pay if you do well. All promotions come from the bottom up or transfer.

Cons

Territories matter. If you get stuck in a bad territory it's much harder to succeed than someone starting out in a better one. Also the industry as a whole has become somewhat commoditized.

I probably wouldn't do much different

Worked for Pacific Office Automation? Contribute to the Community!