Pacific Office Automation

Doug Pitassi

Pacific Office Automation - Employee Review

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Pacific Office for almost 6 years now and have had a great experience. I was part of the Foster School of Business Sales Program at UW and it was a natural transition. This job has provided significant freedom and financial stability that I never expected to happen, in such a short period of time. It constantly challenges me to continue to improve my performance and provides a competitive team-focused environment. I have built a lot of strong- long lasting relationships with my co-workers and have really enjoyed my time here. Very focused on development of team and skill development of younger sales reps. The entire company embodies the attitude to payback the company by developing others as you were developed. Our office in Seattle has really taken this to heart.

Cons

It is a Career opportunity and success does not necessarily happen over night, but with hard work, determination and stick-to-itiveness you can succeed beyond all of your expectations. It does take an investment of time, but as does all professional careers.

Work Hard and Be Rewarded

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The harder you work, the more rewards will come. You are in control. If you don't want to work hard, then don't work here. If you want to be rewarded for your hard work then work here.

I see a large amount of reviews talking about being pressured to drink. I personally don't drink at all and that's all I had to say to not be pressured into drinking on company outings and trips.

Cons

There are only cons for those who do not work hard.

Growth Company with Great Reward and tools to provide for your family.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with Pacific Office Automation for a very long time and have had a ton of growth opportunity. I am able to provide for my family and not be dependent on someone else in my families income. I have the flexibility to go to appointments during the day if needed for family/ personal and as long as I hit my budget and our team hits our budget and grow my territory I will continue to be successful. Our company values hard work but we really do want you to feel like you are a part of a team because we do work long hours. We have local and branch support all around us with direct communications between sales and service. This company is driven by Sales & Service and we are compensated with an over the top 401K donation as the end of the year if we meet our annual goals. We also have many branches throughout the company so I really don't see anything that would hold anyone back from growing within our company.

Cons

The hours can be long especially if you are a new sales rep, however anyone looking at any B2B Sales jobs should really look at your first two years as an internship.

Continue to keep recruiting and developing those that are willing to treat this job/ co-workers as their own business and family.

Work Hard, Hold yourself accountable, grow some thick skin and you will do great.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, great opportunity to grow and make money, become a leader. As long as you can work hard and keep your head down and not give up, this could work for you. Must be resilient. This job is not for everyone, but I love it. Great culture if you buy in.

Cons

Long hours, but the harder you work, the better results you see.

Keep growing culture, but work on hiring better people that will be able to make it longer in the business.

Face paced, long hours, and loyal only to successful sales

Former Employee - Document Management Consultant in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Document Management Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits, competitive environment, bonus and commission Potential, starting pay from a draw. Great company for a competitive young man in his twenties. The CEO in Beaverton is an amazing inspiration to the entire company. Very approachable leader.

Cons

good ol' boy environment- get on or get out, promote heavy binge drinking,loyal to long term employees before successful ones, unwritten local branch rules not evenly enforced on all employees, limited accommodations made for medical leave in sales department, lack of experienced management outside of Portland and surrounding areas, independent dealer, will ride you as hard as possible to make sure the draw is well earned, most accounts will need to be earned, existing accounts will be run by management or other reps outside of territory, expect a final paycheck of less than $5 regardless of current financial standing.

Be upfront about the work-life balance in the interview process. Few family oriented employees can work 60 hours a week. The sales manager focused on threatening to fire employees rather than offer guidance when having difficult issues to deal with. Hostile environments create resentment and negativity that becomes apparent to customers. The "POA" culture in Beaverton needs to be better translated in surrounding branches. The NM and Beaverton branch environments are two completely different worlds.

Good people, hard work, good pay

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is very good for sales positions. Training is consistent and persistent. Good place to learn and get started. Culture is relaxed; focus on party life. Benefits are outstanding. Hiring process is thorough.

Cons

Sometimes long hours are expected for salaried people. Makes it difficult to maintain a work-life balance. If you are well organized you can make it work for you.

Can make money in sales but can also be very taxing on personal life

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Portland Branch review only: Free alcohol and food on all company outings (at least each Friday after work and occasionally during the week). Training of new sales reps is thorough especially for those with no cold calling experience. If you do what is asked I have yet to speak to peers making the same amount of money (For copier reps think $50K year 1; $80-$100K years 2-4; $100K - $130K years 5+. Call on owners and C-level people in a variety of industries both large and small. If you're a bro you'll probably get along with the other sales reps as most of them are males 23-32 for account managers and 30-40 for field sales managers with a sports background. Very competitive sales environment. You'll see the decision making process of companies and have access to some pretty neat software. Company is growing (IT sales consulting and software is where I see the future of this company, no one actually cares about copiers but it's good for kids with no real work experience to be able to sell a tangible product).

Cons

Portland Branch review only: Mandatory team outings. Mandatory meaning you'll be yelled at and publicly embarrassed in front of the other sales reps if you don't attend by the president or other field sales managers. Despite what Doug (president) says about drinking you really will be socially required to drink (just ask about our bar tabs). Plus if you don't drink this is not going to be a place you'll want to be. You'll be yelled at by people on your calls in person and on the phone and then you'll be yelled at by management...you're going to want a shot...or 5. You're looking at investing 65+ hours per week every week no exception doesn't matter if you're the college grad just starting to the fields sales manager with 6+ years of experience. 7am - 7pm Mon-F and you'll be "asked" to come in on Sundays for another 4ish hours of work. As a new rep you'll need to come in every weekend but after a few years depending on skill set you can probably do every other weekend. I echo the review below about the president Doug Pitassi publically yelling and screaming new reps on a regular basis for not coming in on a weekend or spending too much time with their girlfriend/boyfriend. Doug makes it very clear that he wants to own your life for the first 5 years. and does not believe in work life balance so if you're thinking about any sort of balance don't even apply. Turnover in sales reps is stated at about 20% and you'll work in teams of 4 so you'll lose on team member almost each year. You'll see several reps leave each year only to be hired by another college graduate that has no idea what he's doing.

Most importantly I would not recommend this company to a friend. I would not want them to be put in this harsh, demeaning, environment and inflexible hours. I personally am at a point where I make more than enough money here and have family that I must support. The family lives of those in management positions are dismal because of the friction with the president..it's a harsh statement but many of the reps that work here know it's the sad norm. If you want to get into sales Portland has a growing population of tech/software companies. Do some research and talk to people who work here.

You preach entrepreneurship culture and building a business but you also want to control each and every rep's life which seems counter intuitive to me. I think we are very close to having a couple managers and top sales reps leave which will hurt our ability to keep our clients trust. Something needs to change in either our hiring process or our culture to keep reps longer. We can't hire experienced reps because they won't abide by our work hard, work harder, work hardest, culture and any decent college grads can go elsewhere to sell. We spend more time with our sales teams than our friends or families which makes it tough when reps and management just act like we can backfill the problem. Just like everyone else I want to be proud of my career and my workplace but lately things have been on the downturn.

Also I read another post about not having their daughter work here and unfortunately I completely agree. There are too many situations with reps making demeaning comments about the female sales reps and admin staff. There are sales reps doing hard drugs here on a regular basis and I think this needs to be stopped. Everyone knows which reps are doing it.

No room for growth if in an Administrative role. Sales reps can treat anyone however they want, without consequences.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Personal medical, dental, and vision is paid by the company and insurance for your family is affordable. 401K match. Some really good people do work there.

Cons

Sales reps and managers can treat you any way they want. There really isn't an HR department so when you have a moral conflict with something you have no one to go to. Shady deals are considered "creative." The company boasts of year over year profits but you can't get a raise.

Appreciate the people who work for you-all of them, not just the sales department. Write all your deals with integrity and hire more people. Profits are made every year but we're overworked and constantly stressed.

Good starter job if you get the right manager

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had an awesome manager that really made my experience here, but many of the other managers within the company were terrible. I learned a lot about B2B sales, but mostly due to my manager.

Cons

Terrible upper management, particularly the president. He is extremely unprofessional and tries encourage through intimidation. No work life balance, no to little time off, 12 hour work days, and mandatory outings off hours.

More training and understanding of work/life balance.

High highs, low lows

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time

Pros

Potential income, not being confined to an office, supportive coworkers

Cons

Long hours, luck of the draw (some territories are not well developed, making it much more difficult to hit targets and make money), hostile upper management (company president and some branch managers publicly personally attack reps)

Tone it down on the unprofessional attacks of reps. This isn't the marines and it defeats company morale.

Give credit to reps who aren't in well developed territories. Maintaining a customer base is much easier than new client onboarding.

Practice what you preach. Listen more than you speak.

Pacific Office Automation Photos

Home office in Beaverton, Oregon.

+ Add Photo