www.pacificoffice.com

Doug Pitassi

Sky's the limit

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bend, OR

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Previously I worked at another sales job replacing windshields and the company was corrupt with only one goal in mind, make money for the owners and upper management. I left that job with a sour taste in my mouth about sales until I started at Pacific Office Automation in 2011. I have been with POA for about 4 years now and couldn’t be happier. This company is well structured with the mentality of keeping their employees happy and in return the company will succeed. This is a growing company and always adapting to new technology, solutions and sales tactics. They provide great benefits (medical, dental & vision), 401K with 100+ % match program, and incentive trips (Boston, San Diego, Vegas, Florida, etc). Support and guidance is always available from your manager and coworkers when needed. This is not just a temporary job, this is a career with endless opportunity to make great money and have stability.

Cons

You will have to be a team player and not just focused on yourself, but the people you work with. Your goal should be to help your team succeed and in return they will help you succeed. If you’re not willing to put in the time and work hard to succeed, this isn’t the place for you.

Not an opportunity worth pursuing

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits, decent starting pay, good training if you intend on staying in the sales field, company is growing at an incredible rate.

Cons

I would not recommend this position to someone with a family, especially those with a newborn. The company openly discourages people from having personal lives, and will tell you that your job is more important than your family. You will put in 60-70 hour weeks and will then have your work ethic questioned, which I found personally insulting. The work can often be mentally and physically taxing, as there is a negative stigma regarding business to business sales. You will be treated poorly often by others. Company preys on young college graduates that are inexperienced and desperately looking for work by promising unlimited monetary gain. If you are a recent college graduate I strongly encourage you to thoroughly research the position before accepting.

Some people have families and do not want to work 60+ hours per week. Money is not everything. Have more respect for the diversity of your workforce. I was disgusted with how female employees were treated and the occasional use of ethnic slurs were ignored. There is a reason 8 out of 10 people quit within the first year.

It's a Grind

I worked at Pacific Office Automation

Pros

It's a career, rewards those who work hard, no ceiling on how much you can make, company grows every year

Cons

One of the toughest sales jobs you'll ever come across, no work life balance,

Good company, bad management

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation

Pros

Uncapped commissions are awesome. You have the opportunity to really learn and understand the whole sales cycle. Very hands on training.

Cons

Very political at the top. Managers are very micromanaging. "Forecasts" are not true but rather for the branch managers to look good. A lot of the behind the scenes.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Thay take care of their employees and actually care if they suceed in this job and in life. The benefits are great, the pay is great, and the employees are great. The time that is spent on training with individuals as well as an entire company is as good as it gets.

Cons

It can be long hours but you get out of it what you put into it. Other than that there is not much to complain about.

1.5 Stars May Be More Accurate...

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as as sales rep for Pacific Office Automation for 3.5 years. The one good thing to take away from this job was a solid understanding of the sales process and some sales skills.

Cons

What are the downsides of working at Pacific Office Automation? First I would like to clarify some information in some prior posts that was not 100% accurate. Some posts by prior sales reps, regarding compensation, were inaccurate, POA, does not pay a salary. All sales people are COMMISSION ONLY, and commissions are based on the profit in your sales. You're paid initially on a "non-recoverable draw." I'm not going to explain what that is here, but prior to taking a position you should understand your compensation, especially as the industry is fighting against being commoditized.

With that said, the real issues at POA begin and end with culture. Firstly, you are essentially selling a service, but the service department is constantly technically strained, poorly managed, and understaffed, these issues are euphemistically referred to as growing pains. On top of this, I take a moral objection with how well the technicians and admin staff are compensated based on the cost of living in Seattle. Honestly, the technicians should unionize, they would have amazing bargaining power; allow me to explain why.

Often, if more than one technician out of roughly 50+ technicians in the Seattle office, you're customers WILL call and complain about service as the department will now run 2-3 days behind. Remember, as a sales person who is being paid to sell, you're also required to manage all of your clients, which the more you have, the better as some reps WILL have significantly more develop territories, as a rule, selling to your current customers is much more profitable than new clients. But, I digress, back to taking time off.

To take time off, for sales people, you'll have to justify your PTO and why you're leaving, taking off any time during the end of the month was unacceptable and would almost never be approved. Accompanied with the "7-to-7" workday (7-to-7, refers to the mentality that everyone should, by default, be in the office at 7am and to stay until 7pm), it will start to feel like your office is running your life.

Now, the part that truly drove me from the job. The language. I believe, how we speak to each other on a daily basis, especially in a positive team environment, is very important. Which is why constructive criticism from a direct manager and his manager comes bundled with being derided with expletives. Yelling, swearing, and public shaming (in the bi-weekly all-sales video conferences) are the norm for the management to communicate company values. When raising this as a concern with management will, you will be told to grow thicker skin and the HR department is non-existant

On a non-cultural note, internal systems are antiquated, the internal CRM, was contracted and designed from scratch by a third party and rarely works, and you'll be stuck using an older hosted system that has not been updated in almost 10 years. The ERP and monitoring systems are rarely ever accurate and customer billing is terrible, I, on more than one occasion had a client that wasn't billed for over a year and you will be required to handle these issues with your client after the fact.

Overall, as a career decision for someone seeking to become a serious professional, this is the sales job that you "get your feet wet" in. It's not much of a career decision, because they hire, or prey on young people freshly out of college. They open speak of seeking people with little or no other sales experience, because they don't want them to be spoiled and learn "bad habits." I would say that because upper management, with the rare exception, has never worked anywhere else. Imagine someone, hired right out of college, telling you that this is one of the best places in the country to work.

Advice to management... No, I challenge you to be better. Be better TO your employees, be better FOR your customers. Empower your employees, give them the tools and technology to succeed, give them a productive and collaborative environment to grow and they'll grow your business. Reward your admin and technical people, these are the people your customers depend on every day and they are the ones who build your truly devoted clients, your GOOD clients.

Innovate! Innovate by investing in your people. ALL of your people.

And stop with the pre-employement personality test, the same types of people only breed the same types of ideas. Adjust the culture, this should be a place free or the aggressive personal attacks, misogyny, homophobia and occasional racism (A top exec also used a racial slur in a couple meetings).

Overall you need to catch up with the times.

False Advertising

I worked at Pacific Office Automation

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Everyone drinks on the clock every single day. If you do not want to drink with them, because it is not professional, they will not accept you.

grow up

Great payoff for a career start and benefits for all employees

Current Employee - Branch Administrative Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Administrative Manager

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a current 6 year employee for Pacific Office Automation I have first hand experience the opportunity for growth within, I started as a receptionist and have moved to an Admin Manager position within two years. Pacific Office Automation provides advancement opportunities to their employees that are willing to dedicate themselves to a fast paced environment, and prove they can keep up with our growing market. The culture is for those who have an entrepreneur mind set, love a fast pace, are willing to set goals and achieve them to help towards career advancement. Pacific Office focuses on keeping benefits for employees exceptional as it is a great way to reward their employees.

Cons

Time and hours committed can be long however, if you are willing to put in the time you will be rewarded with your efforts, whether that be something you take with you for a future career or the benefit of helping your company become and maintain successful.

Meh - There are way better places

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits: insurance (medical, dental, vision) 401k match, etc

Cons

Unprofessionalism- management needs to learn how manage - not just bark orders and demand.

Invest in your people, learn how to develop and grow people, not just promote sales growth.

Get What You Put In

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pacific Office Automation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the best things about working at Pacific Office Automation is always having the opportunity to make more money. We put in long hours and work harder than other companies in the industry which allows us to grow year after year. The hard work truly does payoff and it is nice to see a bigger check than the last one as you get better and better. Other than the money, the culture at POA is a great one to be a part of. From top to bottom, employees at POA are on the same page on how to be successful and help is always available if you are struggling. Multiple sales trips and basic sales training is very beneficial and it allows you to become close with salespeople throughout the company. With so many resources, as long as you put in the work, it is tough not to have a successful career at Pacific Office Automation.

Cons

This job requires a 2-3 year commitment. If you don't plan on staying long, this job is not for you. You will work long hours and be expected to commit a lot of time, but if you buy in, the payoff is huge.

Pacific Office Automation Photos

Home office in Beaverton, Oregon.

+ Add Photo