Pacific Pulmonary Services
www.ppsc.com Novato, CA

Pacific Pulmonary Services Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Jane Thomas

Pros:
  • "Decent salary; many good people in field locations"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The management team is very good and we all work well together"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless you are a robot who really doesn't believe in customer service"
    in 3 reviews
  • "It's a growing company so they have a few of the typical growing pains, but nothing major"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

PPS was a good place to work but has many industry challenges

Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people, the benefits, and you get to help people. If you do your job, you are okay and may even be recognized. It was always a very fair company to me. They seem to get alot of bad reviews but there were alot of layoffs in the past 2 years so that may be a contributing factor.

ConsCommission became harder to make with all the new Medicare laws. It is definately not the best place in the world to work, but you could do alot worse. It's not that I do not recommend the company, I don't recommend the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the field and if you say things are going to happen or change, make them happen faster.

Positive

Finance Coordinator (Current Employee)
Novato, CA

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat area to work in, Novato CA. The weather is great weather

ConsCompany culture is constantly adapting, makes it a fast past environment that requires a faster learning curve.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Once growing company, past its prime with no leadership or inspiration for employees

IT Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCaring, devoted and fun loving people. Good benefits package, pay and incentive. Flexible and compassionate when there are family needs or a personal crisis.

ConsManagers, directors and VP's are highly skilled and competent folks when it comes to their areas of expertise, but they have absolutely no leadership or people skills. Unreasonable and untimely requests are made that will interfere with your personal life and you will need to change your plans, even if you have previously made commitments and paid for them. If you don't you will be given the cold shoulder. Communication through out the company is poor and so is HIPAA compliance. They have meetings where they tell you things are turning around and then they have another round of lay offs. The company has also been under investigation by the FBI for over 2 years and no one will say why or when it will end.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more workers and less chiefs. Require that all managers and above either have a background in transformational leadership or start providing training for this. Telling people to get it done with less or else is not the way to get optimal performance from your employees.

Medical Device Sales

PCC (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time for less than a year

ProsAutonomy to get job done...

ConsLack of stability in management, too much change

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp management team and provide solid foundation for employees to build upon

A lot of change, can they turn it around?

Mid Level Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPPS provides services to chronically ill respiratory patients, as the population ages the need for these services will only increase. The company has a history of growth and success and maintains a reputation for delivering good service to and taking good care of patients.

ConsThe industry is at the forefront of the changes to the healthcare marketplace. Reimbursement for the services they provide have been reduced by over 50% in the past 7 years, and there is no way to know if they have reached the bottom. This change has led to staff reductions of over 33% (1500+ to less then 950) and a new management team. The new management team members have little experience in the DME industry and appear to be without a plan beyond cutting expenses and hoping (remember hope as a strategy?) the remaining field managers can find a way to increase sales while continuing to eliminate headcount.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithout a unified strategy the company would seem to have little chance of success. I would develop and present a plan forward that includes services beyond oxygen, sleep and medications. The team needs to know what will make the company different and what role each person can play. Give the team a reason (beyond Sr management's turnaround bonuses) to stay and help make PPS successful again.

This site must also be updated, Chris Kane left the company in mid-2013 and Jane Thomas, the former VP HR is now the CEO.

This is a terrible place to work

Director of Managed Care (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time for less than a year

ProsCorporate office right outside San Francisco

ConsRegional managers are jerks and interfere where they have no authority.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your regional managers run all parts of the company

tough times, tough environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Pulmonary Services

Prosbonus at the start and commission plan but that all has changed

Conscompetition is tough, other companies doing what you do a lot better and easier for referral sources

Advice to Senior Managementdo not blindside your workers with sudden changes

Entry level tech

Technician (Current Employee)

ProsIndependent job. Perform an important service to patients.

ConsManagement does not manage their branches. A GM runs everything from a far, with no input from employees. No performance reviews. Must be very self motivated due to no feedback from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct performance reviews annually to learn about your employees' strengths and areas of opportunity.

It's All About Management

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent salary; many good people in field locations

ConsBenefits are skimpy

The company did not plan for reimbursement cuts and is now trying to figure out how to operate profitably. The company brought in a number of new senior managers to save the business but they had no industry experience and made a great many mistakes which did a a lot of damage to the company.

High turnover, lack of teamwork, distrust of senior management.

Not a good atmosphere to work in!

Technician (Current Employee)
Santa Fe, NM

ProsVery busy, time goes by fast.

ConsJob will wear you out.

Worked for Pacific Pulmonary Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pacific Pulmonary Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pacific Pulmonary Services CEO Jane Thomas. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by Pacific Pulmonary Services employees.