Pacific Pulmonary Services

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
2.4

Jane Thomas

Pros
  • Decent salary; many good people in field locations (in 7 reviews)

• The corporate office appreciates and incorporates feedback from employees at every level of the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible management, no work life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Unless you are a robot who really doesn't believe in customer service (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

District Operations Manager

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Senior Management, decent pay, paid holidays, bonuses, Good benefits, friendly co-workers. Training was always there to answer questions if you had one.

Cons

Need a better training program, understanding Medicare is a process that needs to be longer than a webex session. Revenue and R3 are not always on the same page with what is acceptable and what is not.

Keep up the employee recognition that was started recently throughout the company. It means a lot to employees when it comes from people higher than their direct manager. A weekly newsletter to everyone explaining how centers or team members are being successful would work. Some people have best practices that should be shared to all.

Great company if you're in it for the long haul

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rewards those who follow the rules
    One of the "Big 3" in home oxygen
    Accredited by ACHC
    High quality training
    National presence

Cons

Poor/inconsistent communication from Corporate to others
    Inconsistent organization of field management (org structure changes almost annually)

Take time to breathe and continue being compliant. When the dust settles, you will be on top.

Always evolving

Current Employee - Licensing Coordinator in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Licensing Coordinator in Novato, CA

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company continues to grow and thrive, even in this tough regulatory market.
    Frequent communication from Senior Leadership Team helps to align efforts across the company

Cons

Reduced reimbursement from Medicare has led to many locations being overworked/understaffed (i.e. the "do more with less mindset")

Be consistent and transparent with communication - it is the only way we can function in this tough regulatory market.

Great Opportunities

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services

Pros

If you do a good job and perform well, it's noticed and recognized. There are a lot of growth opportunities within the company and many employees have advanced and been promoted from within.

Cons

If you don't like change, this company is not for you. There are some growing pains due to high rate of expansion, but nothing that can't be resolved over time.

Listen to each and every employee.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Novato, CA

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services

Pros

The people are great to work with. My boss is fabulous. We have a great team; open communication is encouraged.

Cons

As with any company in today's market I think technology could improve.

Great place to work!

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services

Pros

PPS is growing very quickly and it is an exciting time to come aboard and shape new processes and procedures. There are definitely growth opportunities if you work hard and prove yourself. The company is truly driven by the 6 core values and rewards those employees who exemplify them.

Cons

This is not a place for people who don't like change- the growth the company is experiencing requires employees who are willing to learn new things and expand their job duties at times. Also because of the growth, new processes are forming there may be some unorganization in some groups until the kinks are ironed out.

Continue to listen to employee concerns and provide more transparency in changes that may take place.

PPS is a great place to work.

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services

Pros

Executives listen to feedback from the employees and act upon them as they can make a difference.

Cons

Lack of procedure in place but I see that as a good thing to make the job as yours

Keep listening to your employees, it really does make a difference.

Growing company with solid values serves basic healthcare needs. A job I can feel good about!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Novato, CA

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services

Pros

Coming from the mortgage industry, it is great working for a company in healthcare that provides basic services (respiratory care) that allow patients to remain healthy and at home. Rather than apologizing for my work, I can be proud of what the company does. Plus, PPS was purchased by a Japanese conglomerate who is funding our expansion...it is exciting to work in an environment of high growth, investment in training and technology, an aggressive recruiting policy for top-notch hires...pretty incredible given the 2009 economy. Because we are growing so fast the work pace can be intense and also is stimulating. Lots of chances to pitch in on projects of interest and to make a contribution...lots of opportunities for growth. The people here are great...fun, intelligent and innovative.

Cons

Some growing pains...keeping pace with the growth rate (lots of acquisitions plus organic growth) is a challenge and change is a constant. Not a good job for the 9 to fiver who thrives on routine. Another drawback is our dependence on Medicare reimbursement (a majority of respiratory care patients are elderly) and how cuts and policy changes can impact the bottom line from one year to the next.

The rapid expansion of the company has let to an expansion of the management team with lots of new, potentially great, hires. I hope that they are given a free rein to make changes necessitated by our growth. I guess I'd advise the leaders to provide the space and resources for the expanded team of managers to grow with the company. Also communication within the company is essential, and should be a priority.

Pacific Pulmonary Services/PPS. Making a difference

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services

Pros

My experience is that the management team (top and middle) are fair, honest, and up front.
    They communicate well with everyone and keep the channel of communication open.
    They offer growth and development opportunity for anyone who strives to be the best they can be and rewards them for it.
    It's a fun place to work
    The people are smart, friendly, encouraging and willing to listen and help when and where they can

Cons

It's a growing company so they have a few of the typical growing pains, but nothing major.
    For a company this size the benefits are good but could still use some updating to what other companies in the area and industry offer

I think overall management is doing a great job. Maybe check in with the employees a few more times a year to see how they feel and continue asking for suggestions on how we can improve services to our clients and keep it a fun, rewarding, profitable working environment for all employees.

Positive experience despite tough industry

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Pacific Pulmonary Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great sales support. Plenty of marketing materials provided. Customer service team, manager, and other sales representatives in my region are very helpful. Benefits are good. Work life balance is great. Commission structure is really good, but a higher base would be nice. Patient centered sales force compared to many other companies out there.

Cons

DME industry is tough due to strict medicare guidelines. A ton of competition in the industry. PPS does not accept as many insurance providers as some of their competitors, but this is something they are actively working on. I have had a positive experience with the company and enjoyed the job, but industry can be frustrating when docs can't prescribe your services due to pt's insurance guidelines and/or carrier not accepted by company. Some regions are at an advantage b/c they accept more insurance than other regions (ex some regions accept Access while others do not)

Other cons are typical operational issues any small company that has recently experienced change would have.

Pacific Pulmonary Services Photos