Pacific Sunwear

Pacific Sunwear Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Pacific Sunwear President, CEO, and Director Gary H. Schoenfeld

Gary H. Schoenfeld

Pros:
  • "Laid back environment, could eat on the clock, sufficient training"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Naturally there isn't really a dress code"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management gets upset quickly if you do something wrong, even if you're new"
    in 39 reviews
  • "The company used to believe in work/life balance, and seems to have gotten away from that"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No advancement opportunities

Schaumburg, IL

ProsThe discount is just like every other retailer but you can't complain about a discount. Was good to work during college for a little management experience.

ConsHours where pretty inconsistent even when you are one of the "higher level" employees. I was offered a position as a "key holder" from the store manager/s and assistant managers, however once it got to the DM it was turned down. Even after continuing to work there for 4 months I had never received an explanation as to why.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to your roots of the old PacSun! Its not Abercrombie or Hollister so stop hiring people that don't care. I recently went into a store with a friend and neither the manager or associate acknowledged us that we were there.

Great part time work for high school

Brand Representative (Former Employee)
    Longview, TX

ProsFun for meeting new people and scheduling is flexible and convenient for those in high school or college.

ConsSo much drama. Very unprofessional, but I guess that is to be expected in retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should invest more in training their managers.

Easy to build a career, hard to stick around

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat health insurance, awesome co-workers, great brand assortment

ConsMediocre pay, lack of support hours from corporate, constantly changing company directives, almost no investment in talent development

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would be a little less tight with support hours, you would see an increase in productivity at the store level, instead of just hoping everyone gets stuff done magically. This would greatly impact the customer experience and result in higher sales!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Payroll? What Payroll?

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsPacsun offers a laid back work environment with no dress code, opportunities for advancement, and a great discount program for those "gotta have it!" pieces.

ConsManagers are left with unfair work loads and no assistance to get everything accomplished. The only salaried position is the store manager, leaving a pathetic number of hours for support staff, let alone a full time assistant if your store is lucky enough to have one. The limited payroll also leads to a large amount of payroll, which means managers are consistently having to train new talent on top of the already ridiculous amount of busy work.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider what it's like to work store level. With large companies, CEOs and other board members have likely never worked on a sales floor, but have unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished in a work day with mostly one person coverage. Yes, multitasking is essential in any job, but is it really necessary to have a promotion change, a visual update, and markdowns all in one day? Let alone completed before opening of the store when you're only given an hour to do that on top of everyday tasks such as paperwork, a bank run, and payroll management.

Terrible

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFun events due to vendors and partners.

ConsManagement is terrible. No room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some respect to the people doing your jobs for you.

Great at first, but not great at the end

Brand Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat discount, awesome co-workers and a good first job to learn workplace skills.

ConsUpper management is awful. They place far too many demands on store management, and they have no concept of what can actually be accomplished in a day. It's impossible to push out 20 boxes of shipment and still meet KPI goals with only two part coverage, if you're lucky. The pay is so low it's impossible to retain talented sales associates, as most other stores offer much better pay for the same work. After being with the company for five years and becoming two of the top sellers in our district, myself and another co-worker were told by upper management that if we wanted to continue working with the company over our college break, we would only be able to earn minimum wage, instead of the wages we had been receiving for the past year.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to retain talent. Talented employees will not stay when they can receive much better benefits elsewhere for the same amount of work.

Bad Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood job for high schoolers, good employee discount, get to look at cute clothes all day

ConsMinimal hours, cliques, team here made me feel uncomfortable

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up

Okay entry-level management position

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsIt was a good place to start when I had very little management experience, benefits were decent, pay was okay.

ConsVery top-heavy management style, no chance to make any creative decisions at the store level as everything was dictated to the letter by corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your store management team some flexibility in decision making.

cashier

Prosflexible chill discounts for employees

Consminimum pay little to no job advancement

Fun place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslaid back environment, good team spirit

Consinconsistent work hours, sometimes called in for 3 hour shifts

Worked for Pacific Sunwear? Contribute to the Community!

Pacific Sunwear Videos

Pacific Sunwear – Why Work for Us?

Since our first days as a Newport Beach surf shop, PacSun has been celebrating the creativity and diversity of California for more than 30 years. With over 600 stores across the United States and an impressive roster of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pacific Sunwear reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pacific Sunwear CEO Gary H. Schoenfeld. All 356 reviews posted anonymously by Pacific Sunwear employees.