Pacific Sunwear Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.6

Pacific Sunwear President, CEO, and Director Gary H. Schoenfeld
Gary H. Schoenfeld

Pros
  • Laid back environment, could eat on the clock, sufficient training (in 41 reviews)

• Naturally there isn't really a dress code (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gets upset quickly if you do something wrong, even if you're new (in 40 reviews)

• The company used to believe in work/life balance, and seems to have gotten away from that (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People, Hard work, Impactful Learnings

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work with great people, who serve more as family as time with company grows. Learn a great deal in terms of business; specifically profit management, product sell through, and how to drive results. Furthermore, you get a great deal of opportunity to develop leadership competencies such as: developing others, executive presentation skills, business analysis, etc. Hardwork and Results are rewarded with recognition, promotions, bonuses and top talent retreats.

Cons

Expectation is extremely high - admittedly, unrealistically high. From business to operational expectation there is an extreme stress to deliver flawless results - however payroll and support does not effectively set teams up for success to execute as expected. Work/life balance is non-existent and the only Talent that survives with PACSUN are the people who are willing to put life last.

Great first retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Westland, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a great culture and atmosphere to work in. I always worked with good/fun people and enjoyed my time on the job.

Cons

It was hard to get a raise, and at least at my store, it was hard to move up in the company. Also, being part-time really meant "part-time." Some weeks I would have 20hrs, other weeks I'd have 3-6hrs.

I went through 15 managers (3 store managers) in 4 years. They need to find a way to find more long lasting people.

OK company to work for

I worked at Pacific Sunwear

Pros

30%/50% discount, flexible hours, health/dental benefits

Cons

Difficult floorsets, Hours cut even after new management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No opportunities to move up

Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool clothes, cool people and a great atmosphere

Cons

Corporate gives you jobs that take 30 hours of payroll to complete and expect it done in 10. They also do not allow you to move up in the company unless you have been in your position for at least one year. Another downfall is that they LOVE to outsource talent when looking for upper management candidates.

Trust in your people. Just because a sales associate only works 10 hours a week does not mean they are not capable of becoming a third key manager. Take the time to train and grow your team that is what being a manager is all about. If your team is performing well then your store results will follow.

Great first retail position

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great clothes, cool co-workers, discounts!

Cons

Sometimes awful music, many going out of business

Great coworkers, not so great upper management

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear

Pros

Great Culture, Great Coworkers, Great Discounts

Cons

Upper level management needs better organization and a better ear.

Great, as a temporary job..

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very relaxed environment, very easy job.

Cons

Did not pay well at all, store was poorly run. The store was and is still in decline and it was very difficult to pick up and start over again.

Weed out people who have no sense of responsibility and organization. A lot of the management and sales associates are incompetent when it comes to the most basic tasks.

Not the greatest job in the world, but also not the hardest

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time for more than a year

Pros

awesome coworkers, the core group of employees are like family while the seasonal people are more like distant cousins that come to visit for a summer and then leave.
    The discount is amazing! 50% of hot and trendy brands
    cute customers that you pretty much get paid to talk to.

Cons

Constant called in on your day off, your always on edge whether your going to get called in or not
    oldest computer software used to ring people up
    ridiculous sales expectations on slow days and even busy days. Nothing is good enough for the DM's. If we make goal early there is no reward, they just say "Good, now lets make more money"
    Pac Sun has become less about engaging with customers and more about trying to pick pocket whatever you can from customers. I worked there for over a year and saw the transition with my own eyes.

Sales Associates may not be in the corporate office, but they are hustling just as much.
    Sales associates get paid minimum wage selling thousands of dollars of merchandise with no reward, other than the occasional "Gift Card" reward a store does maybe twice a year. Corporate people get paid probably twice as much or more and they are even making the sales or pushing product.
    A Sales associate should get the reward and recognition of a Salesman. Give them commision!

Very beneficial, helped me gain experience

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Natick, MA

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really chill and comfortable environment to work in. Able to meet a lot of different people

Cons

There weren't many challenges. Keeping up and reaching daily goals could be one but it gets easier

Great company to work for, a real team environment on the sales floor.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a pretty nice discount. It's a low key place to work as far as the corporate vibe, but it's still sales driven so you can have a lot of fun if you're competitive.

Cons

They highly encourage you to wear the clothing that they sell in the store to the point that you feel pressured to spend your paycheck on items from there. They will send you home to change, or make you buy something if you are wearing a competitors' item.

Worked for Pacific Sunwear? Contribute to the Community!