Pacific Sunwear Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
2.6

Pacific Sunwear President, CEO, and Director Gary H. Schoenfeld
Gary H. Schoenfeld

Pros
  • The laid back selling culture was also a great aspect to this company (in 45 reviews)

• I made great friends with my employees, I get 50% items as part of employee discount (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Another downfall is that they LOVE to outsource talent when looking for upper management candidates (in 44 reviews)

• There is very little "work-life balance" (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cute clothes, pretty good employee discount, 'california vibe" atmosphere

Cons

Pacsun doesn't pay as well as other retailers, corporate/store help always seemed to be ran by teenagers.

District managers' standards were lacking in the hiring of store managers and because of time ended up hiring people extremely unqualified for the position, after I worked my behind off to move up to the position I was at.

Fun, laid-back environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-great discount with a lively environment. Everyone seems to be very passionate about the brand.

Cons

-lot of work for little pay

Temp

Former Employee - Production in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Production in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Pacific Sunwear as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The had full time kitchen that could make pretty much anything you could want!

Cons

The office always had weird vibe. Stand off people, felt like everyone was worried they would loose their job.

Be more open and straight forward, and keep to your words.

Good down till the end

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount, the culture.

Cons

No room to move up in company. TERRIBLE PAY. Dress code, yes there's a dress code. No incentives

If your sales associate has been there longer than you have. Give them a chance to take the leadership role

Pac Sun is Decent to Good.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greendale, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greendale, WI

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts. They provide a monthly discount on a few items of your choosing otherwise there is a significant discount on every other item in the store. I met almost nothing but awesome people when i worked for this company. They have stylish clothes and a fun work atmosphere.

Cons

ReStocking during the holiday season is a pain. Almost every piece of clothing has been picked over and unfolded so prepare to stay late. When the changing of the seasons happen you will be getting 12-20 boxes full of clothing to put out which is tedious but gives you something to do on those slow days. Unfortunately, since this is retail, you will have to keep a close eye on shop lifters. I consistently found shop lifting tags strewn about the place.

When i worked for the company i had multiple managers who i felt were incompetent and multiple managers who were great at their job. Unfortunately those who were better at their job seemed to get the shaft more often than those who couldn't handle the responsibility. If you are staff, be ready to deal with some BS every once in a while by at least one specific manager.

Great! Good company to get basic work experience and build customer service and leadership experience

Former Employee - Brand Representative in Hanover, PA
    Former Employee - Brand Representative in Hanover, PA

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, casual dress, great discount, good bosses and simple work. They give you opportunity to move up if you want to or just have it as a first job to gain basic experience. Great way to get some extra money.

Cons

Would have been nice to have more hours. They hire too many people and don't give hours based on performance. Other then that a great place to work, very laid back.

No balanced schedule with life and work

Current Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Tulare, CA
    Current Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Tulare, CA

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I first got hired as a Senior Sales Rep. After fishing an intern with the Pac store that my high school was contracted with they offered me a job. 10 months down the road I get recommended to fulfill a Full-time Assistant manager position. Interviewed with both SM and DM. Career progression with the company was probably the biggest highlight for me.. Oh and the employee discount

Cons

Not enough hours for your team to be successful with "Rolling floorsets, 20+ boxes of shipment received every mon, wed and Friday"

Come out with a resourceful way to strategically fund hours into stores, especially your Tier 1&2 stores. Hire strong potential store managers and not everyone off the streets.

good company

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear

Pros

some of the pros of pac sun are great clothing discounts, good co workers, laid back environment overall good place to worrk

Cons

some of the cons of pac sun were wouldnt do schedule fare enough in advance and would want people to work on weeekends with little warning also on call shifts

A lot of hardwork, so little time!

Current Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The product is fantastic! Discount was great! Employee benefits were great as well. The laid back selling culture was also a great aspect to this company.

Cons

Payroll was very slim. A lot of one person coverage. Visual directives extremely intense; expect to be completed on non-business hours but rarely allotted the appropriate hours to do so. A lot of building fixtures from scratch for windows, walls etc. Very heavy lifting of pallets on top of ladders. Not safe.

Think of your employees and their safety

Awful. To pushy on sales

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Pacific Sunwear

Pros

Lots of hours during the week and weekend, holidays were fun because of the busy environment

Cons

To pushy on sales to customers. Never got any bonus' that I was supposed to get