Pacific Sunwear Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.6

Pacific Sunwear President, CEO, and Director Gary H. Schoenfeld
Gary H. Schoenfeld

Pros
  • Laid back environment, could eat on the clock, sufficient training (in 41 reviews)

• Naturally there isn't really a dress code (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gets upset quickly if you do something wrong, even if you're new (in 40 reviews)

• The company used to believe in work/life balance, and seems to have gotten away from that (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun Store Environment, Terrible Upper Management

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pacific Sunwear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun store environment
    Employee discount
    Work-life balance

Cons

Upper management
    -Constantly changing. I had THREE district managers in the 1.5 years I was there and their viewpoints are all totally different, so once you get the hang of what one wants the other would want the complete opposite. One of the DMs was very shady, lied about open positions in nearby stores, and only told you what needed fixed rather than how to fix it. He would also tell me that I was doing a great job and spoke to the business well and then turned around and told my store manager that I have a lot to learn and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Workload
    -You are given huge tasks to do weekly with little to no extra hours given for it. Most of the day is spent with yourself, another manager, and one associate who comes in to close. I worked at the highest volume store in my district and we would get the same amount of hours allocated for our 50 boxes of shipment per week that a low volume store would get for 10 boxes.

-Considering you are there by yourself most of the day, you are not really managing anyone and a lot of other companies look down on Pac Sun because of this. There really is no training on how to manage people because you barely work with them.

Advancement
    -Unless you want to be a store manager forever, there is not really a lot of room for advancement in this company. At least in my district, all of the SMs and DMs were external hires which shows that there is no learning and development going on in stores.

Benefits
    -Health, vision, and dental benefits for this company are very expensive. Not only that, but you only get 2 weeks vacation which you can only take in 7 select months in the year.

Listen to what the people who work in the stores have to say. They are driving the sales that is paying your salary, so don't come into the store for 1 hour out of the whole year and make judgements about the employees and environment based on that short amount of time.
    Be honest with your employees and spend more time with them developing them into the next store managers and district managers. You should want people to move up in the company because they already have basic knowledge and can continue to learn rather than hiring externally.
    Be realistic when it comes to allocating hours for workload. Running a 3 person, full-time management team and 10 associates on 150 hours a week is not realistic.
    Know who your customer is. Before you implement new selling strategies and plans know that not all customers are the same at every store, so you should know how to market to different people rather than punishing your employees for not following the selling strategy when it chases customers out of the store.

Not a lot of opportunity to move forward.

I worked at Pacific Sunwear for more than a year

Pros

-Casual dress code, you can wear anything you like unless it has a major brand that we don't carry like Hollister or American Eagle.
    -Great associate discount (50% OFF)
    -Great variety of clothing and good music
    -Management was understanding, helpful, and would work around school schedules.

Cons

-There are rarely any opportunities to move forward in the company and when there is they recruit from other stores.
    - Daily goals that are needed to be met are sometime unrealistic especially when your a lower volume store and management will sometimes take it out on you.
    - If your an associate there you usually only work 3-4 hours 1-2 days a week depending on the matrix of how many hours your specific store gets, the more money your store makes the more hours you'll get.
    -Too many floor sets and window updates, floor sets would take anywhere as late as 2-4am
    -For management not enough hours are scheduled to finish projects for the busy seasons that we either got yelled at for going over or had to work off the clock to get tasks done.
    -Outdated computer systems, all returns & exchanges need to be manually entered and there have been multiple instances where they will freeze on a transaction.
    -You don't receive benefits unless your a full time employee which are usually only the store manager and assistant managers.
    - We always had to be on top of a customer, and at times very pushy to make sales.

Not really happy working here

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear part-time for less than a year

Pros

I made great friends with my employees, I get 50% items as part of employee discount

Cons

Pacsun has recently been struggling with making enough profit so my hours have been cut. There were times when I worked 0 hours for 3 weeks, you are constantly on your feet and you work so hard to raise your sales average ... all to get paid minimum wage

My advice for my store manager is to stop picking favorites and giving them a better schedule than other employees who have worked equally as hard as them and have excellent Amount $ Per Transaction Record.
    Also, the CEO of Pacsun came into our store and began a huge outrage on our store and insulted the workers and store manager.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved it.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Victorville, CA

I worked at Pacific Sunwear as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone was nice, good hours, and discounts on merchandise.

Cons

I didn't experience any negatives.

Pretty good first job experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danbury, CT

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back, chill employees who are really helpful and easy to connect with. The vibe of the store is amazing, and great people shop at Pacsun.

Cons

I wish I was given more hours on a more consistent bass rather than having no hours one week and then a lot the next. Also, a change in management seriously affected my position there and eventually leading to me having to quit.

A change in management forced me to endure losing a manger that loved me and my work, and was eager to increase my number of hours per week once I turned 18, however she got promoted to regional manager and the new manager that was put in place did not even give myself or my other young coworkers a chance and drastically cut our hours working at the store until they reached 0 hours per week which led to me having to quit.

Started amazing, new management took over become worst job

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time

Pros

Depending on management can be a super fun and chill place to work.

Cons

Company went through some bad changes, don't pay for the amount of work they ask of you. Cut benefits and discounts.

First job - I was the happiest person ever when I left

I worked at Pacific Sunwear

Pros

Coupons? 30% discount? Getting called in on your day off? Wait.. that's not a pro..

Cons

Long hours. They treat you like a mule

Good first experience

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Pacific Sunwear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount on clothes, laid back experience

Cons

Always changing vision, sales without the commission

Pick a focus and stick with it!

Great Company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear part-time for more than a year

Pros

It all depends on who you work with. When I worked for Pac Sun I absolutely love my managers and co-workers!
    discounts: 5 50% off coupons and 30% off everything (even longboards!)

Cons

-not enough hours
    -not enough $

I wish the DM gave more hours

Not a good company!!!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has great benefits for their full time employees and provides great information to their employees in regards to their duties and responsibilities.

Cons

DMs and RMs tend to be very unrealistic in regards to the amount of work that an employee must do on a daily basis without providing them with enough resources (payroll hours and/or employees to assist) in order to be successful.

Hiring a lot of untrained and unexperienced managers just because you're understaffed has proven to be disastrous for the company, so I suggest investing some money hiring talented managers and paying them well for their duties; you would increase productivity and have happier employees. Look at how Patagonia keeps their employees happy not only at a corporate level but on the field as well.

Worked for Pacific Sunwear? Contribute to the Community!