Pacific Sunwear Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Great place to work at

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear

Pros

Discounts are awesome for employees

Cons

Orientation date took forever for me to receive

Advice to Management

Needs to be a little more organized

waste of 7 years

Former Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Pacific Sunwear

Pros

Great co-workers, good discounts, plenty of experience

Cons

Upper management played the "favorites" card pretty heavy.... I had 5 DMs in 7 years, 1of which I never got to meet, one who would hit on the female employees and one who paid so little attention to anyone who wasn't her "favorite" that when I expressed interest in a promotion (after 7 years with the company) she asked for my resume. No pay increase for 3 years - and that included brand reps. The amount of visual work expected was like nothing I have experienced anywhere else. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hard work, but neither I nor my team were trained construction workers and that's basically what floorsets consisted of. Where else is it necessary to have multiple power drills fully charged at all times?? It's one thing if it's a set visual team, but these are 18/19 year old brand reps who are assigned to these tasks. Who, by the way, were still making minimum wage. Meanwhile, HQ continued to host lavish weeks in CA for top SMs. But you can't promote or give wage increases? Also, there were always multiple directives sent out because it seems different departments didn't coordinate with each other,so wires were crossed daily.

3. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Okemos, MI

I worked at Pacific Sunwear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee discounts, fun atmosphere

Cons

Poor upper management, poor payroll, zero work life balance

Advice to Management

Treat your employee how you want to be treated and give them the tools to be successful.

5. Avoid if possible

Former Employee - Brand Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Brand Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Pacific Sunwear

Pros

The work was usually easy, many of the employees were very friendly and enjoyable. Was a chance to gain experience

Cons

The schedule changed very frequently. After asking for more hours the store continued to hire more sales reps until I finally was receiving less than 10 hours in two weeks.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the people you already have employed rather than finding new people to bring on when people finally decide to leave.

6. Assistant store manager

I worked at Pacific Sunwear full-time

Pros

50% discounts, very chill and fun people to work with at least the sales associates are

Cons

DMs will constantly call to pressure you every hour about making sales and forcing you to keep selling and selling and focus on nothing but selling and making money.

Advice to Management

Pressure to make sales is definitely not a good way to motivate is. Threatening to fire us if we don't make sales goals is also def not motivating at all!

7. Sales Associate

I worked at Pacific Sunwear part-time

Pros

Friendly staff, fun place to work as a teen.

Cons

On-call shifts as a part timer.

8. GSOM

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accepting. Very chill, relaxing environment. They're really awesome. They give you great discounts. The sales are amazing. The clothing is the best & any product is pretty easy to sell.

Cons

Hours. Almost all mall jobs have trouble giving a good amount though. I wish I could have had a better way to present myself during the interview. If I could re-do, I would.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome & kind.

9. PacSun

Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear (More than a year)

Pros

Company cares about their employees. Most DMs are extremely friendly while still developing and coaching their employees to be successful. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Store Operations in HQ are erratic, more often than not there is no advanced notice is given for a project and hours to complete the task are given day of causing management to scamble and get someone in to help.

10. Store Manager

I have been working at Pacific Sunwear full-time

Pros

great company to work for, with a real vision behind them. you can work your way up in a store setting.

Cons

easy to work your way up in the store setting, but after that opportunities are hard to come by. You get stuck between a store manager and corporate.

Advice to Management

be prepared to live and breath Pacsun, or don't apply. This company is a lifestyle and they mean it, you have to invest a vast amount of your time to make a store run.

11. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I worked at Pacific Sunwear full-time

Pros

I found this post that I could not have written better myself, so I am re-posting with a few edits....

Cons

Spend a month inside this place and it will become very clear why the stock price is so low (currently $1.08). The merchant organization (specifically men's division) is given free reign to run every aspect of the business, effecting everything from allocation to development resources to the marketing team. They wield this responsibility without any sense of humility, immediately resorting to foot-stomping and superior-emailing at the first sign of disagreement. Public humiliation is a common tool that both the CEO and merchant team use to drive consensus. This is why anyone with any actual talent has headed for the door and the only ones left are those that, at best, don't care and at worst, are too incompetent to find work elsewhere. It pleases me to no end that they again have to resort to layoffs, however there is no chance that the people who will be laid off will be the ones who are currently bringing the company down. That starts at the top, as the one empowering the small army of Napoleons on the 3rd floor is none other than Gary himself, whom the board stupefyingly continues to employ despite the painfully obvious lack of business acumen. 12 quarters of positive same-store sales? Neat trick Gar, just shutter the under-performers so they're no longer used in the comp. And while we're at it, let's let the ecommerce business wither and die, since the retail business generates more revenue. It's not like your demo spends any time on the internet... It's no wonder Urban is eating their lunch. Under this man's direction, you're seeing the last years of Pacific Sunwear as a company.

Advice to Management

My advice to them is not to bother updating the signage that's still on stores from 3 logos ago. They're all destined to be replaced with "Zumiez" anyway.

RSS Feed </> Embed