Pactiv

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John McGrath

Pros:
  • "Fast paced, decent pay, safety focused(so injuries are low), not that hard(but then again i'm hyper-active)"
    in 4 reviews
  • "good benefits, great match on your 401"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Striving for extremely high earnings for all product lines and continued cost cutting"
    in 3 reviews
  • "The only downside to working at pactiv is the rotating shifts"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

sales

ProsGreat product with Great people, the company does have Good compensation

ConsManagement continues to cut resources people to achieve their profit goals

Advice to Senior ManagementReduction in workforce will not be sustainable long-term

Horrible job don't waste your time.

Forklift Operator (Current Employee)
    Bolingbrook, IL

ProsGet bonus for no injurys but other then that it is all. That's almost all I can think of and 12 hour shifts which is more days off...

ConsHOTTTT it is so hot in this building its horrible reminds me of hell on earth. Plus there seems to be someone who just sits there and makes up rules to make our jobs harder and harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better because there is better paying jobs right next door.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Co-workers during trying times

ProsGreat people who really want everyone to succeed. Good benefits

ConsLack of support from Management with not a lot of opportunity to move up. So focused on cost cutting that bthere is a lack of vision regarding the big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees- you wlill see nothing but positive results

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pactiv is a well meaning company, but won't commit to making real investments for success.

Senior Operator Specialist (Current Employee)
    Beech Island, SC

ProsDecent pay, friendly people, There isn't someone constantly looking over your shoulder, pretty good job security (I don't see this job being phased out any time soon.

ConsLow parts inventory, poor planning (instead of running production and building up inventory while lines are running well we make product to order. If there are any problems with tool changes or maintenance issues we end up missing orders.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just read the latest literature about improving productivity and then give it lip service by making signs and having meetings etc., but actually make the necessary investments to make the change work.

Pactiv was great place to work but it was the people in it.

Machine Operator, Packer, (Former Employee)
    Jackson, SC

ProsThe best thing was the money and the benefits .

ConsIt wasn't a challenge it was a mind thing.

Not worth your time!!!!!

Packer (Former Employee)
    Bridgeview, IL

ProsI liked my coworkers... very helpful bunch. We ALL shared the same concerns (Slave work for less than minimum wage).

ConsDid not like the Machine Operators at all... they actually yell at you about anything that goes wrong with the machine, even if it's their fault. They expect YOU to do their jobs for them (watch the machine so it doesn't mess up) when your job is to pack, stack and wrap pallets (FOR 12 hours). OMG!!!!!! THE PAY IS THE WORST!!!!! When I was there I started off getting $9.00 an hour... I'm married with 3 kids so you do the math.

Advice to Senior Management$11.00 - $12.00 an hour would be great to start with!!!!!!!!! For the work us packers do there.

Blah

Packer (Current Employee)
    Downingtown, PA

ProsGood benefits....pay is better then mcdonalds

ConsBack breaking.....things have changed for the worse took all the perks of working there away

Started well but not improving

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Lake Forest, IL

ProsThe compensation is ok, and some are over-compensated. Public Transportation options from the city.

ConsCost cutting structured in a haphazard manner. No real room for advancement especially with workforce reductions. Morale is terrible everywhere, and everyone is looking to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone is as highly compensated as you. When people are afraid everyday that they could be cut, morale will suffer and you people will start heading for the exits. Be more strategic in the cost cutting, and do it all at once. When you have a RIF every other week, people really start to get sad/angry/nervous and will do anything to leave.

Great management and friendly employees in a healthy work environment.

ProsThe management is friendly and so are the employee we all work as a team; in my opinion the pay is good with great benefits, and if no reported accidents us employees get a $40 Express card, which is nice.

ConsSince being here in my short period of time and from talking to fellow employees there is one con; not enough forklift equipment when employees are required to show up for over time. This company in my opinion is cheap or our new location in Romeoville is on a small budget. Pactiv needs to buy more forklifts so employees won't fight over equipment so we can do our job effectively and efficiently. It's ridiculous how big Pactiv is and this site doesn't have enough equipment to go around when other shifts do over time so I hope the CEO reads this and gives more equipment to the new Romeoville site.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want us to do our job effectively please get more forklifts so over time employees won't fight over them it's getting ridiculous.

closing the doors

Machine Operator (Current Employee)
    Canandaigua, NY

Prosnone, literally not one good thing

Consthey are running the equipment and people into the ground, firing everybody, and gearing up for shutting down

Advice to Senior Managementjump off a bridge

Worked for Pactiv? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pactiv reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pactiv CEO John McGrath. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Pactiv employees.