Pactiv Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
2.5

John McGrath

Pros
  • Good pay when things are going well (in 7 reviews)

• good benefits, great match on your 401 (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • So focused on cost cutting that bthere is a lack of vision regarding the big picture (in 5 reviews)

• A lot of fragmentation due to lack of communication (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok company

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pactiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great co-workers, benefits are good.

There are limited opportunities for advancement. The employees care about doing a good job and keeping customers in product. Lean organization with great manufacturing capabilities.

Cons

The company is not growing. The private equity firm that owns Pactiv does not seem to know how to grow organically, but rather squeezes the organization to produce more cash to the bottom line. Focus should be on keeping employees happy, productive and servicing the customer.

Not much the senior management can do as long as the Private Equity company pulling the strings cares more about cash than growth.

Hard for decent pay

Current Employee - Winder in Manteno, IL
    Current Employee - Winder in Manteno, IL

I have been working at Pactiv full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting paid every week. Bonuses!

Cons

management not really listening to employees concerns and machines

Encourage workers, lift them up and they will work harder

Management with no direction

I worked at Pactiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is only one Pro - Location.

Cons

No strategy / Continuously changing strategy, no long term goal, management with no knowledge of the business. The knowledgeable employees were all fired and replaced by those with no concept of what is like to manage a 4B dollar company. The morale is low. In the past few years the business had continuous layoffs. Those who are still remaining, are looking to leave. The atmosphere is simply depressing. You will get promoted only if you are "in" with the management. Otherwise you will rot in your position for years.

I think this company is hopeless

In Temple, the PE Plant and RMC are where you want to be - Foams and RDP are not as fun

Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Temple, TX
    Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Temple, TX

I worked at Pactiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) I had a good experience overall - my boss was intent on getting me exposed to everything he could, and he let me travel to participate in kaizen events, DPM training, and SAP go-live events. I knew I could make a mistake and not lose my job - I was given enough rope to be a leader and take charge, and when I fell on my face, my managers wouldn't kick when I was down. The only thing they were concerned with is that I learned from my mistake and continue to improve. My peers and my team were awesome - I enjoyed working with most everyone. 2) The safety culture was very good - I believed Pactiv meant what they preached to all of us about living and working in a safe environment. There were several safety incentives that employees looked forward to when we reached certain landmarks, such as 1 year without an OSHA recordable. We got fed frequently for safety and performance! 3) Work-life balance was very good - everything is in shifts, so as a supervisor I would come in 30 minutes early and leave about 30 minutes after my shift. Occasionally we had staff meetings, so I would come in early for that but I wouldn't have to work extra hours. I think the RMC was one of the best departments when it came to work-life balance, and our bosses set the example. They would often come in early, but when it was time to leave they left. 4) Near the end of my time at Pactiv, there was some restructuring in HR. The HR manager I ended with supported my peers and I very well. He was fair and consistent, and he wasn't afraid of discipline or termination if there was supporting documentation. When we had problems, he backed us up and he trusted our judgement. 5) There was room for upward growth, but it usually meant you had to leave Temple. 6) Benefits were very strong - loved the 8% 401k match. Pactiv froze the pension benefit during my time there, but they upped the 401k match to make up for it. This was part of many changes that occurred when we went from being publicly traded to becoming a privately-owned company.

Cons

1) Training for hourly employees was inconsistent. Team leaders and NTLs badly needed formal leadership training, but that only happened once during my tenure. I did my best to teach them based on my own experience, but it was difficult to hold them to a high standard when their peers were not held to the same standard. Overall, I noticed that disciplinary action was often the quicker and easier method when often the employee needed more training. 2) We always struggled with housekeeping inconsistency. I inherited a very bad area of the RMC, and after about a year it met my high standard. The inconsistency among the other teams' assigned areas demoralized my team because they had worked so hard and their supervisor (me) wasn't able to get my peers on board. I fought that battle for over 3 years. Safety and productivity ruled supreme - everything else fell by the wayside when we got busy. 5S never fully got integrated into our daily standard work. 3) Pactiv is truly a manufacturing company - distribution is an afterthought. Production built inventory we didn't need, and even with all our crossdock and direct ship opportunities, we still had overflowing bins. At one point we had to lease another warehouse to store overflow product that didn't move for months. It usually felt like were fighting against Production - we had contradicting goals and metrics. Production was rewarded for building pounds, and Distribution was rewarded based on shipping productivity and efficiency. The more direct ship and crossdocking we did, the better we scored. When we're having to consolidate bins to make room for overflow materials that can no longer fit in their assigned storage section, that was waste injected into the process. Basically we could not all be rewarded together, so that resulted in an "us versus them" mindset instead of a teamwork mindset. When we got rewarded, Production wasn't. It was a very frustrating business model, and change was very slow. In almost 5 years, I never saw this change fully. Production would try to reduce inventory, and then the flood gates were suddenly opened again.

Sustain the pros and figure out how to eliminate the cons, especially #3. Out of all the things our employees griped about, it was the impossible metrics that contradicted each other. This might be fixed now, but when I was there it caused a lot of frustration.

Good Company if you can avoid RIF's

I have been working at Pactiv full-time

Pros

The benefits are great: Health, dental, vision, Matching 401K up to 6% plus a yearly 2% match, paid vacation and all major holidays off. The pace of work is reasonable for the pay.

Cons

A lot of change going on to meet company wide earning goals. in 2014 there where TWO Reduction in Forces in a span of 3 months. The top uses threats of job loss to motivate site leadership. Lots of focus on savings without really understanding all the impacts or if goals are actually attainable.

Get a financial consulting firm to get a grip on cost savings promises. Many value streams over promise at expense of their sister value stream. As long as the VS is able to promos savings all is well. There is little thought to down stream ramifications.

Hard work, not for lazy people

I worked at Pactiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are also hard workers.

Cons

Getting personnel on the same page

Establishing a mandatory max hours worked per week rule.

Financially driven

I have been working at Pactiv full-time

Pros

large company with positional growth opportunities

Cons

Financially driven - short term focus. High turnover in management ranks.

It depends on who you know.

I have been working at Pactiv full-time

Pros

Can have a close network. For the most part you know the rules or find out quickly. There are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Time off is sometime hard to get. There is always a crisis that requires attention. The is such a focus on cash that it stifles a lot of good initiatives. Many of the plant locations are far from civilization. There is always another corporate plan that gets stuffed down the throats of understaffed and undertrained plants that adds to the stress in the workplace.

Growth opportunities exist, but you have to hunt them out yourself.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Pactiv full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you show that you can handle it, the company will have opportunities inside and outside of your existing department. Show some skill and hustle and you can start checking off boxes in your career path. Continuing layoffs create gaps in the organization which always yield opportunities for at least lateral movement.

Cons

You'll have to constantly network within the Company because there is no effective formal method to match employees with potential roles. Layoffs have created a very lean organization and your boss will not have any time to mentor you or grow your career. Only a handful of management have earned loyalty from their own reports. Astro-turf'd corporate culture.

Despite all of the layoffs you've got some substantial dead wood in the organization. Their presence is a mental drag on the employees that are now doing 1.5 jobs.

Stable work environment no management on your back as long as your productivity is within management requirements.

Current Employee - Fork Lift Operator in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Fork Lift Operator in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Pactiv full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting pay for employees and decent benefits so Pactiv is staying competitive to attract experience employees. Healthy work environment able to go your own pace but must meet productivity, which is easily done.

Cons

There is favoritism among employees from management, which is expected but those employees are the lazy ones with their smartphones out or talking a lot. I seen some leads on there phone or talking to employees up to an hour or half hour during working hours and that's lost productivity for the company and money wasted. There needs to be better leads & supervisor's to enforce workers productivity and enforce company policies instead of some trying to look for bffs. #Romeoville

The other problem is inaccurate workers pay from management & HR who handle payroll. Worker's are not being paid accurately like we are supposed to and this is very up setting for us employees. We work 12 hour's and up to 6 day's a week the last thing we should worry about is not getting paid like we are supposed to it's not fair for the employee that care about there job's. And this problem has been going on for some time and seems becoming the norm, which it shouldn't be. I have never worked for a company that forgets to pay their employees and holiday pay. Who ever is in charged for payroll at the Romeoville site needs to be fired!

Fix payroll to accurately pay your employees on time. Get rid of useless leads & employees here at the Romeoville site company funds are being wasted on people who don't care about there job's.