Pactiv

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John McGrath

Pros
  • good benefits, great match on your 401(in 5 reviews)

• Fast paced, decent pay, safety focused(so injuries are low), not that hard(but then again i'm hyper-active)(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • So focused on cost cutting that bthere is a lack of vision regarding the big picture(in 4 reviews)

• The only downside to working at pactiv is the rotating shifts(in 3 reviews)

Growth opportunities exist, but you have to hunt them out yourself.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Lake Forest, IL

ProsIf you show that you can handle it, the company will have opportunities inside and outside of your existing department. Show some skill and hustle and you can start checking off boxes in your career path. Continuing layoffs create gaps in the organization which always yield opportunities for at least lateral movement.

ConsYou'll have to constantly network within the Company because there is no effective formal method to match employees with potential roles. Layoffs have created a very lean organization and your boss will not have any time to mentor you or grow your career. Only a handful of management have earned loyalty from their own reports. Astro-turf'd corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite all of the layoffs you've got some substantial dead wood in the organization. Their presence is a mental drag on the employees that are now doing 1.5 jobs.

Financially driven

Proslarge company with positional growth opportunities

ConsFinancially driven - short term focus. High turnover in management ranks.

It depends on who you know.

ProsCan have a close network. For the most part you know the rules or find out quickly. There are opportunities for advancement.

ConsTime off is sometime hard to get. There is always a crisis that requires attention. The is such a focus on cash that it stifles a lot of good initiatives. Many of the plant locations are far from civilization. There is always another corporate plan that gets stuffed down the throats of understaffed and undertrained plants that adds to the stress in the workplace.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable work environment no management on your back as long as your productivity is within management requirements.

Fork Lift Operator (Current Employee) Romeoville, IL

ProsGreat starting pay for employees and decent benefits so Pactiv is staying competitive to attract experience employees. Healthy work environment able to go your own pace but must meet productivity, which is easily done.

ConsThere is favoritism among employees from management, which is expected but those employees are the lazy ones with their smartphones out or talking a lot. I seen some leads on there phone or talking to employees up to an hour or half hour during working hours and that's lost productivity for the company and money wasted. There needs to be better leads & supervisor's to enforce workers productivity and enforce company policies instead of some trying to look for bffs. #Romeoville

The other problem is inaccurate workers pay from management & HR who handle payroll. Worker's are not being paid accurately like we are supposed to and this is very up setting for us employees. We work 12 hour's and up to 6 day's a week the last thing we should worry about is not getting paid like we are supposed to it's not fair for the employee that care about there job's. And this problem has been going on for some time and seems becoming the norm, which it shouldn't be. I have never worked for a company that forgets to pay their employees and holiday pay. Who ever is in charged for payroll at the Romeoville site needs to be fired!

Advice to Senior ManagementFix payroll to accurately pay your employees on time. Get rid of useless leads & employees here at the Romeoville site company funds are being wasted on people who don't care about there job's.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

sales

ProsGreat product with Great people, the company does have Good compensation

ConsManagement continues to cut resources people to achieve their profit goals

Advice to Senior ManagementReduction in workforce will not be sustainable long-term

Great Co-workers during trying times

ProsGreat people who really want everyone to succeed. Good benefits

ConsLack of support from Management with not a lot of opportunity to move up. So focused on cost cutting that bthere is a lack of vision regarding the big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees- you wlill see nothing but positive results

Horrible people work at the Bolingbrook location makes you hate your job!!!?

Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee) Bolingbrook, IL

ProsThe only pro I can think of is its a job and a paycheck other then that if you are not desperate for money don't apply here fare warning.

ConsLet's see where to start the Team leaders are not trained on how to manage or how to talk to adults.Bolingbrook location everybody is snitching on each other trying to gain points they expect you to do several jobs that ain't your job the team leaders have no respect for the employees and if you complain you will get in trouble. Worst job in the area.. Bolingbrook..

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the team leaders there is a reason why there is such a high turn over rate and you can't keep anybody.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Pactiv is a well meaning company, but won't commit to making real investments for success.

Senior Operator Specialist (Current Employee) Beech Island, SC

ProsDecent pay, friendly people, There isn't someone constantly looking over your shoulder, pretty good job security (I don't see this job being phased out any time soon.

ConsLow parts inventory, poor planning (instead of running production and building up inventory while lines are running well we make product to order. If there are any problems with tool changes or maintenance issues we end up missing orders.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just read the latest literature about improving productivity and then give it lip service by making signs and having meetings etc., but actually make the necessary investments to make the change work.

Not worth your time!!!!!

Packer (Former Employee) Bridgeview, IL

ProsI liked my coworkers... very helpful bunch. We ALL shared the same concerns (Slave work for less than minimum wage).

ConsDid not like the Machine Operators at all... they actually yell at you about anything that goes wrong with the machine, even if it's their fault. They expect YOU to do their jobs for them (watch the machine so it doesn't mess up) when your job is to pack, stack and wrap pallets (FOR 12 hours). OMG!!!!!! THE PAY IS THE WORST!!!!! When I was there I started off getting $9.00 an hour... I'm married with 3 kids so you do the math.

Advice to Senior Management$11.00 - $12.00 an hour would be great to start with!!!!!!!!! For the work us packers do there.

Blah

Packer (Current Employee) Downingtown, PA

ProsGood benefits....pay is better then mcdonalds

ConsBack breaking.....things have changed for the worse took all the perks of working there away

Worked for Pactiv? Contribute to the Community!