Paddy Power Reviews

Updated July 26, 2014

2.7

Paddy Power Chairman and CEO Patrick Kennedy
Patrick Kennedy

Good benefits for unsociable hours

Former Employee - Senior Cashier  in  Galway (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Senior Cashier in Galway (Ireland)

I worked at Paddy Power as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great staff nights out & well communicated company. Well structured induction and training for new employees, with refresher training throughout.

Cons

Late hours during summer racing. Managers sometimes are not trained adequately in managing their teams, this should perhaps be an area that is looked at for future development.

Fun, watch sports

Former Employee - Trader  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Trader in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Paddy Power full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, good structure, money was above average so i was told

Cons

Short breaks, hard enough to get shifts changed

Listen to what middle-management more, increase bonus system for everybody

Ok

I worked at Paddy Power full-time

Pros

Easy work, but can be boring

Cons

Long hours, out of touch senior management.

Spend some time out in the shops.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wouldn't work there again! Poor treatment of employees lower down on the ladder.

Former Employee - Former Employee  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Paddy Power full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary was better than some places.
    The colleagues were the ones that kept me sane enough to come back to work each day.

Cons

Extreme unsocial hours.
    The management structure was too top heavy.
    Needed to go through four different people to get help.
    Treatment of employees was poor.
    High turnover of staff because of people leaving due to bad working conditions and because the training bonus rewarded to management.
    Customers were allowed to speak to employees with foul language and management allowed it.
    Work morale at a low.

If you are just looking for customers and money, stick to why you are doing, but if you are interested in employees, sort out the management structure.
    Try nurture the employees you have, instead of retaining a high volume of staff.
    The HR dept ignored bullying at various times so that needs to be looked at

Wouldn't recommend to a friend

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Paddy Power full-time

Pros

Pay is good overall. Offices are ok but not great compared to rest of tech companies in Dublin

Cons

No ethics and upper management will have no problem with treating their staff poorly

Hard work, but good rewards and beginning to get their heads around career plans

Current Employee - Trader  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Trader in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Paddy Power full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Paddy Power are growing at a rate of knots and it is only recently that the career progression and training process has improved, but it's improved beyond recognition. If you work hard here and are prepared to sacrifice then you will get on.

Cons

Leadership can be cumbersome and there is a long bedding in period before you start earning decent money. Forget about work-life balance if you want to succeed.

Carry on along the recent path and create more defined career paths for employees. Consider more cross-promotion and inter-departmental secondments.

end of the honeymoon

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Paddy Power full-time for more than a year

Pros

funny environment, some good colleagues, good place for learn

Cons

A lot of illusion before wise up and face the reality that they are not fair, an irish person would have much more opportunity than a foreigner, even with only 3 months internship, you will have to wait a lot of time to get a promotion and a rise of salary, however, they will not give you a promotion but they will give you more responsabilities according to an higher role with the same salary since you could do the job, absence of defined carrer path and lack of transparency for performance review, salary not very good. A lot of internal politcs; they pretend to be a big international company while in fact they are only a medium irish company.

Generally very good

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Paddy Power full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vibrant organisation, exciting and fresh approach - autonomy to explore

Cons

New management values and authoritarian approach to leadership

Absorb all experiences, great financial perks and benefits. Too many impulsive decisions that unfortunately drove away good people at all levels, however overall a great opportunity to gain experience.

Excellent start to my career, but I had to move on to make the next big step.

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Paddy Power full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall, Paddy Power is a great place to work.

Salaries are only okay but bonuses are good for those wiling to set proper targets and work hard to achieve them.

Technology wise, they are leaders in their industry and chances are you will get to work on or influence some really interesting products. Given the nature of the business you will get to see the impact your work has almost instantly which can be very satisfying.

There are some excellent people you will get to work with and they are more than willing to share their knowledge to help you grow.

Facilities in head office are good. Offices are kinda modern, a good staff rec room and shower facilities. There is a staff restaurant that also includes a pretty good coffee counter.

Office is located right beside the UCD campus so if you wander out at lunch time you'll be sure to take in some pretty good eye candy.

For someone willing to apply themselves, work hard and show an interest in what they are doing, Paddy Power will provide some very rewarding work and offer you a chance to grow you and your career.

Cons

Annual pay reviews are very poor, the system they are attempting to move to more reflects public sector benchmarking and does not reflect individual performance fairly. When I stated my dissatisfaction in my last year and asked for a 2nd review, my request was met however it took 4 months to get it through all the hoops which have formed over the last few years. So, unless you are willing to voice your case and push and push and push some more, you won't go far up the pay scale.

Communication between business and development has become very poor and sometimes it can feel more like a battle than a collaboration.

There is a lot of politics, backstabbing and gossiping. I have seen first hand some of the most incredibly talented staff being slated just because they do not confirm or try to bend rules. However this is the exception and not the rule. So, unless you have a thick skin you could easily get upset or offended.

Although there is a staff restaurant, it can be very pricy. If you were to get breakfast, lunch and a coffee or two each day, you'd expect to spent €10 - €12.

Dealing with the Design department is possibly the most frustrating thing I have every had to do in my life (and I have kids!). They are wrapped in ridiculous processes which they are completely unwilling to change or bend, even if it benefits all parties and customers.

Public praise is little or none. If you are happy knowing you have done a good job this could be good but if you are someone that needs praise for that boost to kick you into your next project you won't get it here.

Turf the new pay scale process and reward people fairly based on their performance. Someone who is excellent at their job should get an excellent pay review. Someone who is terrible at their job and shows no signs of trying to improve should get a befitting pay review. Paddy Power is not a public sector company and should not try to copy some of their methods.

Have a look at how Design is run, it will result in giving designer the scope to produce better quality work, more efficient deadline tracking and space for late requests (very important considering the industry dynamics).

Have a look at the structure of the staff restaurant. A company should not be paying a what PP does per year and still have staff paying €5 for a basic meal. Nowadays (and with profit that PP is turning) it should be a given that staff get free or properly subsidised food.

Do more for staff welfare. There are some staff members who have very serious gambling problems that go unnoticed for years. I have witnessed people on the phone in the car park crying, to people living on noodles for 3 weeks because they burned through their salary within a week of pay day. I'm not sure how this can be done but it is a widespread problem within the company that needs the attention it has never received.

HR feels like a distant department and in over 6 years I never once had the feeling they were there for me. They are slow to respond to queries and too fond of brushing people off with a standard response, which a lot of the time does not answer the question.

Praise staff when they do something good. Make a big deal out of it when someone spots a mistake that saves 10k, have a few beers on a Friday afternoon when you've had a good week to say thanks (not an ice cream truck).

tough

I have been working at Paddy Power part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

smart people, good office location

Cons

has become political, food not great

walk the floors

Worked for Paddy Power? Contribute to the Community!