PageGroup Reviews

302 reviews filtered by
3.6
PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Pros
  • Michael Page will make you feel like part of a family (in 27 reviews)

• Atmosphere/culture is all about work hard play hard (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (minimum 11hr days), so work life balance is poor (in 23 reviews)

• Very long hours you are expected to be there from 7:30-7:30 everyday (in 50 reviews)

1. Great place to work!

I have been working at PageGroup full-time

Pros

- Environment: hard-working and driven professionals who are great to learn from and love to work hard/play hard
    - Great learning opportunity!
    - You get back what you put in
    - Collaborative atmosphere, if you are willing to work your way up people want to help you succeed
    - Ability to learn from the best in the industry
    - High profile candidates and clients

Cons

Working hours - the harder you work the more reward you get though so it's worth it

2. Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Ontario
    Current Employee - Ontario

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture - the people are great. Driven, ambitious, competitive and all like to win and have fun. A combination of Boiler Room and Wolf of Wall Street.
    Cash - make more for the company and you make more for yourself - uncapped commission
    Career progression - Clear targets to be hit and rewards are given - a true meritocracy - multiple promotions can be achieved in your first few years and beyond.
    Leadership - access to senior people in the company on a daily basis - training is constant
    Rewards - Quarterly bashes where the office has a good bit of fun, quarterly trips around the globe for top performers

Cons

The internal systems (IT) need some improvement as the entire company operates on the same database and it is sometimes a bit slow and can get bogged down.

Turnover rates need improvement but this is a sales job where it is results based, those that do not have success tend not to enjoy the benefits and end up leaving.

Have to have a thick skin and put in a lot of effort but again, this is a sales job and should not be a surprise. It should be clear to anyone joining from the start what is expected and required from them - and what they will get from it as a result.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your team and hiring of great people. It is a great place for those who are driven, sales oriented and resilient. You get out of it what you put into it.

Great Place

I have been working at PageGroup

Pros

Everyone is very kind and welcoming. Great place to grow in your career.

Cons

None that I am aware of.

My experience working at Michael Page in the New York office has been incredibly positive.

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best parts of working at Michael Page in my opinion are the full career transparency, the culture of the entire office and the overall learning aspects day in and day out of the job itself. At each step of your career at Michael Page you know what targets you have to hit in order to get to the next promotion are. Everyone can be directed on a path towards management or if management isn't what they're looking to do, then to higher targets and more incentives as a biller. The environment at Michael Page is thriving with young professionals that want to make a name for themselves in the business and chase the New York dream. Everyone is constantly supporting one another to do more and be better in every aspect of the job. The learning aspects of being in this role are endless. I'm constantly learning more and more about the digital technology space with each company that I interact with. For a junior professional looking to learn a great deal about the corporate culture in New York and expand their knowledge of multiple industries, Michael Page is the place to grow out your career.

Cons

Nothing that I would really suggest, it's an atmosphere that allows you to work hard, earn multiple promotions and gain a great deal of exposure to new industries in the market.

Great potential to grow your career and make money in a hard working environment where majority is motivated to succeed.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Career growth, Money, Internal recognition, management, training, collaborative work environment.

Cons

Hours - work/life balance

7. This company has laid the foundation for the rest of my career.

I have been working at PageGroup

Pros

This company has given me everything I could have asked for. The training program is second to none, the resources they provide including a top notch custom CRM have helped me make a ton of money, and the people I work with have become my best friends.

I've been given the opportunity to very quickly progress my career (little known fact, my manager can only be promoted if I get promoted) and am now hiring people to work directly under me after only 1 year. I am essentially running my own business under the Michael Page name which gives me the tools and resources I need but would otherwise never have to become my own boss of a successful business.

Cons

Yes the hours are bad. I work 8-7 but honestly, nobody is keeping you here. I work those hours because if I didn't, I wouldn't be working my way up the ladder.

In my opinion, the only real downside to MP is wearing the suit and tie everyday but to be honest, I'm pretty over it. Some days I would love to not shave in the morning but that's a must. In the end, I look professional and we look like a team.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to have more training for people who have been around for a while. An MS3 after your first year on the job would be probably very beneficial. Let people know they should get back to basics.

Great place to learn, grow, and build a career in Sales

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Boston office of Michael Page is currently in transition. Many non-performers and those that simply weren’t generating revenue were recently released when a new director came to lead the office. What I am to understand there was much more of a protective bubble put around the office under the previous regime where underperforming or not performing at all was acceptable. Frankly unless you were criminal in you wouldn’t get let go.

With a higher focus on performance many people either left on their own or were forced out. The team that now makes up the office is much more commercial and seem to be well suited for sustained growth of the office.
    The hours simply depend on what you’re used to. Most of the office is in by 8am and expected to stay until 6:30pm. Some people stay later but it’s not mandatory as some people leave early when they have personal things they need to attend to. As with any sales business it’s about results and how efficiently you can get them. If you lack efficiency and want to achieve high results you’re going to find yourself working longer hours. If you’re efficient and can build your business in a smart way and learn the best way to operate from the top performers in the office you’ll find yourself working smarter not harder.

Cons

Bonuses are not guaranteed but you can make quite a bit of money when everything clicks. Personally I have seen very large quarterly bonuses (5 figures) in a quarter but there are times when I have not hit personal revenue targets and thus have either received no bonus or something very small. It’s hard to complain about it since it’s largely driven by individual success or failure.

Advice to Management

Local management is doing a good job in a change heavy environment. They seem supportive of their teams and are adding new sales focused staff which is supporting the change to a sales/performance driven culture. I like the increased activity engaging more on the phone and out meeting with clients.

9. Excellent company to advance your career in recruitment

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Michael Page offers their employees a clear path to success through comprehensive training programs and guidance from managers. The Boston office has a great working environment built on collaboration and the desire to succeed.

Cons

All employees are expected to perform at a high level each day. Success is strictly measured by the amount of business you win. It can be a great place for someone who is highly competitive and willing to invest hard work for substantial reward.

Advice to Management

The managers in the Boston office are focused on fostering a great culture as well as the growth of younger consultants. They're supportive in all training exercises and expect maximum effort from their teams.

Great place to start off in recruitment and lays foundation to transition In-House

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The culture (although dependent upon the person): it was kind of like a frat-house... a lot of F-bombs being dropped and extremely inappropriate conversation. Funny because we had to dress so corporately.
    - The people: I really enjoyed everyone that I worked with. Working at a recruitment agency is ultimately a sales position, and people who work in sales are outgoing and funny and charming.
    - The training: I gained so much from the training, and learned how to "work" people to my advantage, as well as the ins and outs of recruitment. The training & development team was wonderful and really helpful, too.
    - The challenge: they have everyone at Page run a "full-desk" - doing the candidate side of things but also trying to develop business by calling prospective clients.
    - Autonomy: as long as you are "working close to the money", they will let you do whatever you need to do. You can call up the most senior person at the most senior company in the world, if you're going to win business. They want everyone to be able to work on their own, and your managers will hardly micromanage you.
    - System: They just put into place a new candidate-tracking system, which is really complex and very helpful. We had to do trainings on it to learn it, but it made everything much more efficient.
    - Location: it's located in the Chrysler building, which is cool! Nice offices, and people all want to come into the Chrysler building.
    - Compensation (IF you're doing really well): if you are someone who wins a lot of business for the company, you will be treated really well - given bonuses quarterly. However, it's not commission-based - its discretionary bonuses, so it's political as well.

Cons

- Company mission/values: PageGroup makes it very clear that they are all about making money. "Work close to the money" - they always say. You shouldn't spend your time doing anything that isn't going to result in you making as much money as quickly as possible. They want you to be motivated by making money.
    - Work/life balance: Regular hours are 8-7. If you walk in a few minutes after 8, you'll get extremely dirty looks. Leave before 7, and you'll get dirty looks, too. This job is definitely one where you need to show your face as much as possible. They give you phones after 6 months (only after 6 months, because they know how high the turnover rate is) and expect you to be available to candidates and clients at all hours. No lunch break, either. You get food, and bring it back to your desk and continue working.
    - Metrics: Page relies very heavily on weekly metrics - ones that are unreasonable, in my opinion. It's all about productivity and pushing their employees to give them as much as they can get out of them, which is draining. If you fall short of any of these, you'll certainly be hearing about it at the weekly meetings.
    - Turnover: The turnover at Page is ridiculous. People dropped like flies there - mostly because most people are not made for the stress of the recruitment agency lifestyle, and Page hires like crazy, hoping to grow. A lot of people leave within 6 months; you are essentially considered a veteran if you last 9 months there.
    - Environment: Again, this depends upon the person. It was extremely stressful and high-pressure. They are all about making money and as quickly as possible. Extremely fast-paced environment, and you're expected to operate at an extremely high energy level for 11 hours day.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain your employees, focus on hiring the right talent. It takes a very specific kind of person to operate in a recruitment agency. Focus on improving quality of life for employees - encourage them to take lunch breaks and don't only treat the people making tons of money like royalty.

11. "Place for you"

I have been working at PageGroup

Pros

Michael Page offers extensive and thorough training that is designed to push you every day. The management is extremely hands on and very open minded. You are not trained to be a recruiter you are trained to progress your career as well as others. If learning to consultant with some of the most successful businesses in market is something that excites you this is the place for you.

Cons

You are pushed to be as efficient as possible day in and day out. It is the ultimate sales environment that is 100% results driven. If winning and progressing isn’t what your looking for this not the place for you.

Advice to Management

If you like a clear path to management that does not involve politics this is the place for you. Every day you are pushed by the management to better your career as well as your team. Michael Page and mediocrity do not get along.