PageGroup Reviews

Reset
3.7
PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Pros
  • From my first day at Michael Page I felt like every member of management genuinely wanted me to succeed (in 27 reviews)

• People - The work hard/play hard mentality is very true - the people here are driven and competitive but always outgoing, social and helpful (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (minimum 11hr days), so work life balance is poor (in 23 reviews)

• Long hours - although this is essential to perform well in the role (in 50 reviews)

1. Featured Review

great organisation, great training & great people

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After reading previous reviews, I thought it fair to tell the other side of the page story. The basic is better than the majority of recruitment firms. Guess what, if you make money you get money, if you don't, recruitment isn't for you. That's not a bad thing.. It isn't for everyone. Guess what else, if you don't bill your manager may look into stats to see where we are going wrong. If KPI's scare you recruitment isn't for you. I have been with the company for 2 years in the UK and have been supported throughout my time there. I have been promoted twice probably because I like KPI's and as a result I make money... Recruitment must be for me. I've had a couple of months where I haven't hit target, but at no point did I feel insecure. If you want a job there are many firms to choose from. If you want a career you come to Page. However... It's a business so you have to make money... Like all businesses that stay in business.

Cons

If you are starting a new market eg in the US or new sector, it's hard work. However the opportunities are bigger and more frequent. with growth comes opportunity. You are essentially your own business with corporate backing. There is a lot of pressure when you run your own business. Better your manager telling you how it is then your bank manager telling you that you are bankrupt.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing but manage expectations when hiring staff. If they aren't aware they will be KPI'd as an essential part of their succession plan they may get confused as the previous reviews have. If the don't like hitting KPI's and don't get a 360 degree recruitment process including bringing in the "no hopers" for meetings this type of work isn't right for them. All sales environments have a high turnover of staff, this is normal, if everybody could do it we wouldn't be paid so well:)

2. Excellent culture and working enviornment, supportive training, however, you'll need to be resiliant and determined!

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent training and development for new starters. Supportive management and positive culture and working environment. The business is run as a meritocracy and therefore the model rewards the most successful and those that over achieve which is vastly different from some recruitment businesses which focus on time served. Staff turnover is lower than competitors, perhaps reflective of the middle / senior management market that is the businesses key focus.

Cons

The recruitment sector is tough, its a pretty rigorous sales based environment in a saturated market place. Albeit you will meet a number of candidates and clients through a normal working week, quite a bit of your work will be phone based and require a relatively high volume of phone calls. You will certainly require a determined mind set and be a resilient person who is organised with excellent time management.

3. Challenging and varied

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always an interesting place to work. I've never been bored here. Im always challenged to give my best and get to work with a very inspirational and knowledgeable team. Very accommodating in terms of flexible working. Excellent collaborative culture and knowledgeable and experienced Senior Team that give confidence.

Cons

Can be long hours, but you have a chance to control this too. It's a big company so there is the occasional disconnect with communication, but this isnt frequent

5. Consultant - Property & Construction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Michael Page offers excellent career growth and opportunity based across the three business brands on an international level. The training and learning from the first day is 5* and continues throughout your development. There is a genuine 'open door' policy where you are able to work with and share ideas with colleagues of any level within the business. For me, the biggest draw is that rewards and promotes colleagues on merit of work and is shown in your personal development.

Cons

Recruitment in general can do tough, with ups and downs. It can be a very touch and challenging at times. However if you thrive in a fast paced working environment, there is no better option!

6. Intern Experience

Pros

Brill people, good pay, learned so much, great working environment.

Cons

Long hours. Sometimes repetitive but as intern this was expected!

Advice to Management

Bring in more interns!

7. Michael Page Business review

Current Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you wish to have a job that challenges you and makes you push yourself then Michael Page is a good place to work: If you wish to work from 9 to 5 then it is not. The organisation prides itself on being meritocratic and if you wish to make your way up the ladder earn more, take more responsibility and forge a career then the opportunity is there if you are prepared to work for it. Page reward smart hard work that gets rewards. Another positive are the colleagues you work with. Generally speaking I have had a great experience in the offices I have worked in. The recruitment policy within Page is such that hiring managers have to be 100% sure that any one joining the business will add value and fit in the team. In my opinion, this is working well. Page have offices throughout the world and the UK, this lends itself to not only being able to move around as your career develops but also gives you the opportunity to work out of near-by offices occasionally which is great for a change of scenery and a fresh challenge. Personally I have benefitted from this and can say first hand that for me it is a huge positive.

Cons

I have to wear a tie I can't access the office before 7am The showers are too small The fridges are too close As you can tell, I only have minor complaints - The Page Group doesn't hide what it is: It is a profit making corporate business. If you wish to live this life that encourages working hard and being part of a team that celebrates success then this is a great opportunity.

Advice to Management

More cake, less rules on ties, more hats, introduce bring your pets to work day, introduce BBQs, more cake (again) and more dress-up days.

Operating Director

Current Employee - Operating Director in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operating Director in Sheffield, England (UK)

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to define your own career based your own inputs. Page Groups training and development plan is truly outstanding across all levels and continues to evolve to ensure the guidance is relevant to current market conditions

Cons

A sales based, target driven business is not for everyone. There are many different and unique sales approaches that work for the individuals but finding your own style can be a challenge when first starting out in recruitment.

9. A company happy to invest in its employees!

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Salary (+Bonuses), Opportunities for progression. Because the bonuses are team based, it encourages us to work together - I'm very close to all of my colleagues - regularly planning team days/nights out. It's a fun atmosphere and you're working with people of all ages/walks of life. There are so many opportunities for promotion, but you get what you put in. You have to be resilient, ambitious, money-driven, personable and happy to pick up the phone. You don't have to wait for an opening to move up the ladder - once you've hit your targets, you're promoted (achievable targets). Throughout the years, I've heard a lot of negativity around the recruitment world in general. Michael Page has actually changed that for me. I've been working with the company for nearly a year now, and there's not one day that goes by where my managers/directors are not commending us for the work that we've put in. With offices around the world, it also gives us a chance to relocate.

Cons

I would say the hours, generally 8am - 6:30pm; however, they do make it clear at the outset that it's not your regular 9-5 job, so I really can't fault it - I knew what I had signed up for and what you get is well worth it.

Advice to Management

More of a thank you than advice. The training and time invested in teaching us how to grow and become even better consultants is brilliant.

10. Great Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Page a lot of time and effort is invested into Learning and Development. Perfect If you are looking for a long term career with lots of progression opportunities where management actively promote this. Very sociable and friendly environment with a work hard play hard mentality. Although the job has long hours and is hard work at times, the monetary rewards and career opportunities make it worth it! If you are looking for an International move with the business this is also possible.

Cons

This job isn't for everybody - it is a challenging working environment with KPIs to be met. You need to keep yourself motivated and be resilient, if you are able to do this and willing to put the hard work in you will have a very successful career.

Advice to Management

Continually provide training and development throughout career. Continue to actively promote progression within the business. Keep investing time into hiring the best people

11. Great all round experience of recruitment

Current Intern - Intern in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Intern in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to start off recruitment career with, well established in the market. Incredibly well paid for an internship. The training has been exceptional, with two days intensive training at the start of the internship with 7 other interns. We then had a 'graduation day' where we all did a presentation on the internship and shared our experiences. Great sense of being part of a team and I have been made to feel valued. Hours are good (9-5.30pm). Great exposure to the job - I have had a great chance to see the full 360 degrees of recruitment. Management have been nothing but supportive and have helped with anything I have needed.

Cons

On the internship, I don't believe you see many downsides. The hours can be longer when you become a full time consultant (8am-6pm).

Advice to Management

Keep being supportive and offer training as and when needed.

RSS Feed </> Embed