PageGroup

Updated March 1, 2015
3.4

PageGroup CEO Steve Ingham
Steve Ingham

Pros
  • Michael Page will make you feel like part of a family (in 27 reviews)

• Atmosphere/culture is all about work hard play hard (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (minimum 11hr days), so work life balance is poor (in 23 reviews)

• Very long hours you are expected to be there from 7:30-7:30 everyday (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

57 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

A fun working environment

Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at PageGroup

Pros

Page is a great place to work, particularly for a young professional at the start of their career. It is a sales based environment with a real emphasis on teamwork. Targets are clear and it is very meritocratic.

Cons

At times the role was partially repetitive, relatively long working hours too.

average

I worked at PageGroup

Pros

- good career progression
    - always looks good to have Page group on your CV as a former employer.

Cons

- salary/hours ratio
    - working environment is not great

Overall a good experience

I worked at PageGroup

Pros

Good colleagues. Good training system. Industry leader in finance and accounting recruitment.

Cons

Demanding work environment, stressful. Very sales oriented. High KPI target and sometimes management are too rigid on the KPI

Nice atmosphere and very nice place to start your recruitment career

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at PageGroup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- great culture and lovely people
    - great basic salary and competitive commission structure
    -structured training and a much more common sensical approach to targets and attainment.
    - passionate director and team leaders.
    - long term approach to development- take 6-12 to get on the phones to clients and that made way more sense.

Cons

- the company weren't aggressive to motivate people through the day to day grind.
    - if people underperformed nothing happened... That made it easier to slack off even if you were hitting or exceeding targets. Sometimes you were fighting yourself knowing you could be making so much more money but the threat of the sack would push young 21-24 kids more.
    - really tight on arriving at 8:30 and leaving at 6 earliest. Felt like face time was more important than numbers at times. If they want to come in at 7:15 and hit the phones early it shouldn't matter if they the. Leave at 5:30... If they're not achieving: sack them.

- recruit more salesy people and realise many think they'll enjoy recruitment but are tempted to try other industries/companies at such a young age. Plus, the basic salary in recruitment is low(18k) so other jobs offering 26-30k are appealing In year 1.
    - be a little less draconian with timings and be clearer regarding performance.
    - otherwise a lovely place to work and when I was there I genuinely felt supported, successful and happy.

Former Business Consultant

I worked at PageGroup

Pros

PageGroup provide a wonderful training for people at their first job experience.
    The environment is fun and young and you meet many interesting people.

Cons

Salary is very low and benefit almost inexistent. Very competitive, team work is not something is rewarded. No work-life balance. Turn over incredibly high.

Please put an effort in retaining your employee especially after all the effort you put into training them. Working 12 hours per day should not be a must.

Strong position in the market, great place to start a career in recruitment, but expect to be severely micromanaged.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at PageGroup full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong market brand - exposure to recruitment practices at leading Financial Services institutions and FTSE 100s. You can learn your trade well here.

Cons

It has a young culture, expect to be surrounded by recent grads. You will be managed closely (very), can be quite cliquey. You will learn a lot and have good opportunities to move on, but you will work very hard for the privilege, it's sales at the end of the day. So you expect the above to a certain degree.

Let your staff breathe, you might be surprised with the results over the longer term. The world is changing, work-life balance is very important in today's market. If you can hire and then keep the best in the market, you will have a very strong employer brand.

I spent 2 years as a Consultant in London - MP Finance, having joined as a graduate

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The training programme is excellent, probably industry leading.

Generally speaking the majority of employees are pleasant and good fun to be around. There's a hint of arrogance among some, perhaps understandably given the industry sector.

The company is very good socially - whether for a spontaneous drink after work or team nights out/Christmas/Summer parties etc. They're great about taking you to nice places and picking up the bill.

There are plenty of incentives for high performers, including promotions (career progression is very strong), monthly, quarterly and annual awards and, of course, reasonably good bonuses. These are almost always linked to revenue. The downside is that if you're working hard on a tough desk, you won't get the same rewards as someone billing highly on an 'easy' desk.

The brand is widely recognised as a market leader and as such, working for them for a reasonable period of time tends to reflect well on your CV - people know you were well trained, worked hard and, if you stayed for more than 6 months, clearly had some capability.

Cons

The working hours were, when I was an employee, a bit much. We were expected to start at 8am on the dot every day - even lateness of a couple of minutes was heavily criticised publicly. I was always punctual myself, but I felt the way some people were dealt with for arriving at 8.10 was overly zealous. We had to stay until 7pm on a Monday and Tuesday, 6.30pm on a Wednesday and Thursday and 5.30pm on Friday, regardless of how busy you were. I felt more flexibility could have been offered here. Running a quick personal errand, even taking a personal phone call, during working hours was off the cards.

It is a heavily KPI'd environment which is always a controversial approach. There is some general justification to this approach from a business POV, particularly in a large corporate. However, at times the micro management in this regard was farcical - they sent a daily report on everyone's phone times and highlighted any which looked below the requisite 2 hours. They tallied every single target and displayed them all on the walls, essentially to embarrass anybody who was under performing in any area whatsoever into pulling their socks up. Again, some philosophies on management will dictate that this is the best type of approach to ensure results. I personally felt it was a touch immature and, particularly when I was delivering regular revenue, unnecessary.

The company culture is aggressive at times, particularly around competitors or people who want to leave. Page believe strongly they are the best at what they do, and are very vocal about it. This arrogance then turns into aggression towards anyone who decides to leave of their own volition. When I resigned, I had about 4 hours of emotional blackmail from directors who argued hard with every reason I was giving them. This is perhaps understandable to a point, but when I informed them that I still wished to leave I was booted out without so much as a formal goodbye to anybody. I was not joining a direct competitor. Whilst I worked for Page I heard many former employees being bad mouthed for leaving - the arrogance of the company sometimes does it a disservice as this is not a pleasant characteristic.

A lot of the senior management possess quite sociopathic tendencies, and you often felt quite strongly that you were a vehicle through which someone else could achieve a promotion or a bumper bonus and nothing more.Ultimately, whilst a team ethic is preached, everyone is in it for themselves (which is probably true of recruitment as a whole anyway). It ultimately comes down to personal preference - some people will thrive in and enjoy this kind of environment and others won't. Make sure you go in with your eyes open.

Relax on the micro management a touch, particularly towards staff members who have demonstrated their capability and are delivering revenue. Stop enforcing such long hours - working hard is absolutely fine, but it's not always necessary to do an 11 hour day. Busy and diligent staff members will put in the hard graft anyway.

great organisation, great training & great people

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at PageGroup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

After reading previous reviews, I thought it fair to tell the other side of the page story. The basic is better than the majority of recruitment firms. Guess what, if you make money you get money, if you don't, recruitment isn't for you. That's not a bad thing.. It isn't for everyone. Guess what else, if you don't bill your manager may look into stats to see where we are going wrong. If KPI's scare you recruitment isn't for you. I have been with the company for 2 years in the UK and have been supported throughout my time there. I have been promoted twice probably because I like KPI's and as a result I make money... Recruitment must be for me. I've had a couple of months where I haven't hit target, but at no point did I feel insecure. If you want a job there are many firms to choose from. If you want a career you come to Page. However... It's a business so you have to make money... Like all businesses that stay in business.

Cons

If you are starting a new market eg in the US or new sector, it's hard work. However the opportunities are bigger and more frequent. with growth comes opportunity. You are essentially your own business with corporate backing. There is a lot of pressure when you run your own business. Better your manager telling you how it is then your bank manager telling you that you are bankrupt.

Keep doing what you are doing but manage expectations when hiring staff. If they aren't aware they will be KPI'd as an essential part of their succession plan they may get confused as the previous reviews have. If the don't like hitting KPI's and don't get a 360 degree recruitment process including bringing in the "no hopers" for meetings this type of work isn't right for them. All sales environments have a high turnover of staff, this is normal, if everybody could do it we wouldn't be paid so well:)

Excellent

I worked at PageGroup

Pros

Work life balance good
    personal growth

Cons

Promotions are rare
    Leadership is fair

N/a

"Internship" at PageGroup

Former Employee - Intern in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at PageGroup part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had a very negative experience working for the company, which has now put me off working in recruitment for life! So I'm glad that's decided!
    I do understand better how recruitment consultancy works and recruitment processes, which I think will help me when applying to other jobs.
    It's quite well paid.

Cons

I applied to the internship programme thinking that I would learn a lot about the industry. From what I had heard it involved a lot of meeting clients, talking to candidates and it was quite a social and interesting job.

I ended up spending 8am-6pm sat on the phone calling candidates just to find out their background and upload the notes on to a system. I understand that there is a lot of that in recruitment but I did absolutely nothing but that for months.

The final straw was when I was asked to research different companies and send any current job offers to my colleagues to follow up, when I asked them whether any of the leads had been helpful they laughed and said that I had only be asked to do that because my boss hadn't had anything real to give me that day! I had spent 10 hours wasting my time!

The job was social and I was often invited out for drinks, during one of the nights out my colleague referred to me as an 'extra admin resource' ... so I really felt like a valued member of the team.

If you don't have the train interns then don't take them on. It's a waste of everyone's time and leaves people with a very bad image of the company