PagerDuty

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alex Solomon

One of the best atmosphere for an engineer to work.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI have learned a lot at PagerDuty. Everyone is extremely smart, dedicated, hard working, always ready to help. I'm a junior software engineer. I get to use, work on latest technologies to solve unique problems as our product needs that.
    Everyone loves what they do here, it is very much visible from daily interaction.

Culturally, it's a great place to be. Monthly hackdays, great meals, snacks, lots of alcohols, movie nights, poker nights, picnics, birthday celebrations, board games, feature launches and many more!

Sick leaves are unlimited. I can WFH. Engineering teams are very flexible as long as you are doing your job.
    Compensation is on par with the market.

More than everything our customers absolutely love our product!

ConsCompany is going super fast! It's getting tough to keep with all new faces and names.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey seem to be doing a good job so far.

Amazing culture, brilliant engineers, beloved product

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people are phenomenal here. There's no discernable office drama. Engineering is fairly flat, and you still have broad latitude to engage your brain and make critical technical decisions, even as an intermediate engineer. There is very good engineering culture here, and while there are problems in every code base, we really deal with technical debt and strive to build sustainable systems. I attribute this to having technical founders.

PagerDuty is a fairly well-known product in devops circles, and it is widely considered very reliable and it does exactly what it says on the tin, so one of the best things about PD is that you get to work on something that people actually like.

Culturally, it's a great place to be. The Vibe team does an excellent job of taking care of meals (lunch catered daily, breakfast on Wednesdays), activities, etc. There's a lot of alcohol around if you drink (though this has been snubbed during business hours now). Snacks are abundant. Also nerf guns. The web team decorated their team room with a bunch of nautical stuff. Every engineer has a height-adjustable desk and an ACD.

Vacation time-off is actually prescribed, vs many startups where it's "unlimited." I actually prefer this, since I'm always unsure as to whether or not I've crossed some unstated threshold. Sick leave is unlimited, like most places. It is common for people to work from home whenever they're feeling under the weather, or if they just feel like skipping the commute that day.

Work/life balance is very good. It seems like most people tend to roll in around 10am and roll out around 5-6pm. Even though we go on call, most teams seem to be mindful of alert fatigue and we address recurring issues.

Compensation is on par with the market. Not outstanding, but it seems to be about the same as other offers I've received.

ConsThe commute is in SF, so that's kind of bad at times. Teams are either in a shared team room or out in the open, which some people prefer, but sometimes I'd like to have a small office to myself to focus.

Best Job I've Ever Had

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPagerDuty is a very exciting place to work. The combination of very intelligent and talented colleagues makes coming to work a pleasure. Customers absolutely love our service and what we do, which makes my role a dream. The perks of working at PagerDuty are great: Great work/life balance, flexible hours, ownership in the company, unlimited food/snacks/drinks, fun company events, etc... I highly recommend working here to everyone that I know.

ConsI think we're obligated to wear pants to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So much love for PagerDuty!

Administrative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI am extremely happy and humbled to be working for such an amazing company. I think what it comes down to for me, overall, is the people. PagerDutonians are extremely engaging, creative, down-to-earth, and FUN. I leave work everyday with a smile on my face, and return excited and amped the next. I've been with the company for a few months, and have already seen it grow tremendously. We moved offices, and started to really amp-up our hiring. It's exciting to be apart of an innovative, successful company that is truly paving a path in the SaaS space. PagerDuty is going to go far, and I am happy I am along for the ride.

ConsDon't hate the pager, hate the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! You guys inspire us everyday.

Amazing experience in a fast growing start up!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA wonderfully open and transparent environment that is very conducive to growth and learning! This is the definition of a start up that is transforming the IT space for the better. Everyone is extremely passionate about their work and our product. We are more of a flat organization not focused on title or rank but more on collaboration and getting the job done. The work life balance is one of the best!

ConsThere isn't too much or anything at all I can say that is negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and stay open minded because it's working!

PagerDuty is an engaging start up with amazing people and talent

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI am really enjoying being surrounded by smart, ambitious people understand how to work hard and also still have fun! People are on their A-game and accountable and yet the vibe is still fun, collaborative and enthusiastic.

ConsI am still getting used to the pace, as it is the fastest pace I have ever worked in, but I am getting there! But that's really more my getting accustomed, as hey, it is a startup!

Best workplace i have worked till now

Operations Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Leadership team is technical
    - Compensation is on par with market
    - Product is getting better every day, which gives motivation to the entire organization
    - No restrictions on opensource adoption and contribution (as long as it does not involve core products)
    - Ability to take risk (in terms of new technology, tools, stacks, people etc) and iterate quickly and learn from failure. And internalizing the same as a company culture, its just awesome
    - Attitude to embrace remote working, this is crucial if you have family and you stay outside SF (somedays commute is just horrible , due to games, road closures, public commute issues etc)

Cons- Rapidly growing mid-management layer, this creates silos, information loss between hops.
    - Being in SF, its becoming increasingly difficult to commute,

Advice to Senior Management- Dont swell the mid-management layer so much that you cant get feedback from people who are working at the front line, or at least setup skip level meetings
    - Split teams if they are larger than 5-7. Every technical team deserve a tech lead, just like senior management requires mid-management for better communications. Managers are not tech-lead,

Amazing Company, Culture, and Product!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Hardworking, smart, and passionate coworkers who are actually cool people to hang out with... which makes team bonding events actually fun to attend
     - Great Benefits (the usual start-up perks: lots of pto, unlimited sick days, flex-time, catered lunch, lots of snacks, 2 kegerators, movie nights, whiskey wednesdays)
     - People LOVE the product - you are building something that is actually useful!

ConsWe are really close to the ball park, so baseball season is kind of annoying because 2nd gets so crowded. Hope you're a Giants fan!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou already do such an amazing job investing time and energy into your teams to make them successful - keep up the good work!

An incredibly smart, caring team working on a product we (and our customers) love

ProsI've never worked with better engineers than at PagerDuty. Everyone is driven, competent, friendly, and caring, and there's a sense of quality and product that goes from the engineers all the way through the execs. It's also at the perfect size: successful and growing, but still small and agile.

Work-life balance is good (it's a ghost town by 6:30 or 7) and the food is great, but the real reason to work here is the amazing people. Many of us came from (or have had offers from) the big players in the bay— Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc— and we'd much rather be here.

ConsNothing! I'd much rather be here than

Best work of my career. Never bored, always learning, adding value and love the team.

One of the PD People (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIts an incredibly collaborative environment. Everyone is pulling together. Incredibly smart and intellectually honest people, with amazing ideas and commitment, fast pace. But equally - real people, theres no political BS, no one is watching your title or afraid to speak up. Everyone counts.

ConsNo challenges that aren't normal to every early stage start up. We are running hard and fast. Learning as we go. Never enough hours in the day - but for the first time in a long time, I don't mind working the long hours or staying late at the office- the work is inspiring and the people - there isn't a single person I can't imagine taking a long road trip with and not getting along with.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat culture don't let it get ruined as you grow. Stay close to your people as you get bigger. Keep things flat and open, encourage employees to always speak frankly as they do today, don't get corporate on us.

Worked for PagerDuty? Contribute to the Community!