PagerDuty

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alex Solomon

An incredibly smart, caring team working on a product we (and our customers) love

ProsI've never worked with better engineers than at PagerDuty. Everyone is driven, competent, friendly, and caring, and there's a sense of quality and product that goes from the engineers all the way through the execs. It's also at the perfect size: successful and growing, but still small and agile.

Work-life balance is good (it's a ghost town by 6:30 or 7) and the food is great, but the real reason to work here is the amazing people. Many of us came from (or have had offers from) the big players in the bay— Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc— and we'd much rather be here.

ConsNothing! I'd much rather be here than

Best work of my career. Never bored, always learning, adding value and love the team.

One of the PD People (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIts an incredibly collaborative environment. Everyone is pulling together. Incredibly smart and intellectually honest people, with amazing ideas and commitment, fast pace. But equally - real people, theres no political BS, no one is watching your title or afraid to speak up. Everyone counts.

ConsNo challenges that aren't normal to every early stage start up. We are running hard and fast. Learning as we go. Never enough hours in the day - but for the first time in a long time, I don't mind working the long hours or staying late at the office- the work is inspiring and the people - there isn't a single person I can't imagine taking a long road trip with and not getting along with.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat culture don't let it get ruined as you grow. Stay close to your people as you get bigger. Keep things flat and open, encourage employees to always speak frankly as they do today, don't get corporate on us.

An amazing company that has created a new category.

San Francisco, CA

ProsTop-notch talent, challenging and interesting work in an environment of hyper growth.

ConsKeeping up with business growth.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Undeniably the best move in my career! Amazing culture, environment, location, people and product. Enough said!!!

Talent Lead (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsHumble, fun, AMAZING! Hip and open office environment in SOMA close to the ballpark and BART. Whiskey Wednesdays, movie nights, kegorator, impromtu Happy Hours, Ladies nights, team offsites and dinners, gongs, champagne toasts, poker nights, Hackathons, hosted meetups, bike racks inside the office, Andreessen backed, Toronto office, collaborative and cross functional teamwork, career development, solving real problems, challenging work, talented and really smart people. Overall the best place I've ever worked!

ConsNONE! I suppose if you consider having free yummy snacks at all times like Doritos, chocolate covered pretzels, gummy bears and sodas a con because you are watching your figure....then that might be considered a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing exactly what you are doing! Keeping the bar set high, sustaining the start-up and humble culture that you set out to achieve from day one and providing exciting work challenges with clear career development paths for employees. You have built an amazing place to work!

Best Job I've Ever Had

San Francisco, CA

ProsPagerDuty is a very exciting place to work. The combination of very intelligent and talented colleagues makes coming to work a pleasure. Customers absolutely love our service and what we do, which makes my role a dream. The perks of working at PagerDuty are great: Great work/life balance, flexible hours, ownership in the company, unlimited food/snacks/drinks, fun company events, etc... I highly recommend working here to everyone that I know.

ConsI think we're obligated to wear pants to work.

So much love for PagerDuty!

Administrative (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI am extremely happy and humbled to be working for such an amazing company. I think what it comes down to for me, overall, is the people. PagerDutonians are extremely engaging, creative, down-to-earth, and FUN. I leave work everyday with a smile on my face, and return excited and amped the next. I've been with the company for a few months, and have already seen it grow tremendously. We moved offices, and started to really amp-up our hiring. It's exciting to be apart of an innovative, successful company that is truly paving a path in the SaaS space. PagerDuty is going to go far, and I am happy I am along for the ride.

ConsDon't hate the pager, hate the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! You guys inspire us everyday.

Amazing experience in a fast growing start up!

San Francisco, CA

ProsA wonderfully open and transparent environment that is very conducive to growth and learning! This is the definition of a start up that is transforming the IT space for the better. Everyone is extremely passionate about their work and our product. We are more of a flat organization not focused on title or rank but more on collaboration and getting the job done. The work life balance is one of the best!

ConsThere isn't too much or anything at all I can say that is negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and stay open minded because it's working!

PagerDuty is an engaging start up with amazing people and talent

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI am really enjoying being surrounded by smart, ambitious people understand how to work hard and also still have fun! People are on their A-game and accountable and yet the vibe is still fun, collaborative and enthusiastic.

ConsI am still getting used to the pace, as it is the fastest pace I have ever worked in, but I am getting there! But that's really more my getting accustomed, as hey, it is a startup!

Best workplace i have worked till now

Operations Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- Leadership team is technical
    - Compensation is on par with market
    - Product is getting better every day, which gives motivation to the entire organization
    - No restrictions on opensource adoption and contribution (as long as it does not involve core products)
    - Ability to take risk (in terms of new technology, tools, stacks, people etc) and iterate quickly and learn from failure. And internalizing the same as a company culture, its just awesome
    - Attitude to embrace remote working, this is crucial if you have family and you stay outside SF (somedays commute is just horrible , due to games, road closures, public commute issues etc)

Cons- Rapidly growing mid-management layer, this creates silos, information loss between hops.
    - Being in SF, its becoming increasingly difficult to commute,

Advice to Senior Management- Dont swell the mid-management layer so much that you cant get feedback from people who are working at the front line, or at least setup skip level meetings
    - Split teams if they are larger than 5-7. Every technical team deserve a tech lead, just like senior management requires mid-management for better communications. Managers are not tech-lead,

Amazing Company, Culture, and Product!

San Francisco, CA

Pros- Hardworking, smart, and passionate coworkers who are actually cool people to hang out with... which makes team bonding events actually fun to attend
     - Great Benefits (the usual start-up perks: lots of pto, unlimited sick days, flex-time, catered lunch, lots of snacks, 2 kegerators, movie nights, whiskey wednesdays)
     - People LOVE the product - you are building something that is actually useful!

ConsWe are really close to the ball park, so baseball season is kind of annoying because 2nd gets so crowded. Hope you're a Giants fan!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou already do such an amazing job investing time and energy into your teams to make them successful - keep up the good work!

Worked for PagerDuty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PagerDuty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PagerDuty CEO Alex Solomon. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by PagerDuty employees.