PagerDuty Reviews

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014

5.0

Alex Solomon

Amazing place for career growth and culture!

Current Employee - People Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - People Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working here! Everyone who works here is very smart, welcoming, friendly, and collaborative. If I have a question about anything, I never hesitate to ask. No question is a dumb question! One of the best aspects about working at PagerDuty is that I can see the difference I am making. Being apart of a growing startup, I am implementing programs that are taking ground and will be used for years to come!

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to step away from a project for the evening because it's time to go home...

One of the best atmosphere for an engineer to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time

Pros

I have learned a lot at PagerDuty. Everyone is extremely smart, dedicated, hard working, always ready to help. I'm a junior software engineer. I get to use, work on latest technologies to solve unique problems as our product needs that.
    Everyone loves what they do here, it is very much visible from daily interaction.

Culturally, it's a great place to be. Monthly hackdays, great meals, snacks, lots of alcohols, movie nights, poker nights, picnics, birthday celebrations, board games, feature launches and many more!

Sick leaves are unlimited. I can WFH. Engineering teams are very flexible as long as you are doing your job.
    Compensation is on par with the market.

More than everything our customers absolutely love our product!

Cons

Company is going super fast! It's getting tough to keep with all new faces and names.

They seem to be doing a good job so far.

Amazing culture, brilliant engineers, beloved product

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are phenomenal here. There's no discernable office drama. Engineering is fairly flat, and you still have broad latitude to engage your brain and make critical technical decisions, even as an intermediate engineer. There is very good engineering culture here, and while there are problems in every code base, we really deal with technical debt and strive to build sustainable systems. I attribute this to having technical founders.

PagerDuty is a fairly well-known product in devops circles, and it is widely considered very reliable and it does exactly what it says on the tin, so one of the best things about PD is that you get to work on something that people actually like.

Culturally, it's a great place to be. The Vibe team does an excellent job of taking care of meals (lunch catered daily, breakfast on Wednesdays), activities, etc. There's a lot of alcohol around if you drink (though this has been snubbed during business hours now). Snacks are abundant. Also nerf guns. The web team decorated their team room with a bunch of nautical stuff. Every engineer has a height-adjustable desk and an ACD.

Vacation time-off is actually prescribed, vs many startups where it's "unlimited." I actually prefer this, since I'm always unsure as to whether or not I've crossed some unstated threshold. Sick leave is unlimited, like most places. It is common for people to work from home whenever they're feeling under the weather, or if they just feel like skipping the commute that day.

Work/life balance is very good. It seems like most people tend to roll in around 10am and roll out around 5-6pm. Even though we go on call, most teams seem to be mindful of alert fatigue and we address recurring issues.

Compensation is on par with the market. Not outstanding, but it seems to be about the same as other offers I've received.

Cons

The commute is in SF, so that's kind of bad at times. Teams are either in a shared team room or out in the open, which some people prefer, but sometimes I'd like to have a small office to myself to focus.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Undeniably the best move in my career! Amazing culture, environment, location, people and product. Enough said!!!

Current Employee - Talent Lead  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Humble, fun, AMAZING! Hip and open office environment in SOMA close to the ballpark and BART. Whiskey Wednesdays, movie nights, kegorator, impromtu Happy Hours, Ladies nights, team offsites and dinners, gongs, champagne toasts, poker nights, Hackathons, hosted meetups, bike racks inside the office, Andreessen backed, Toronto office, collaborative and cross functional teamwork, career development, solving real problems, challenging work, talented and really smart people. Overall the best place I've ever worked!

Cons

NONE! I suppose if you consider having free yummy snacks at all times like Doritos, chocolate covered pretzels, gummy bears and sodas a con because you are watching your figure....then that might be considered a con.

Continue doing exactly what you are doing! Keeping the bar set high, sustaining the start-up and humble culture that you set out to achieve from day one and providing exciting work challenges with clear career development paths for employees. You have built an amazing place to work!

Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

PagerDuty is a very exciting place to work. The combination of very intelligent and talented colleagues makes coming to work a pleasure. Customers absolutely love our service and what we do, which makes my role a dream. The perks of working at PagerDuty are great: Great work/life balance, flexible hours, ownership in the company, unlimited food/snacks/drinks, fun company events, etc... I highly recommend working here to everyone that I know.

Cons

I think we're obligated to wear pants to work.

So much love for PagerDuty!

Current Employee - Administrative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am extremely happy and humbled to be working for such an amazing company. I think what it comes down to for me, overall, is the people. PagerDutonians are extremely engaging, creative, down-to-earth, and FUN. I leave work everyday with a smile on my face, and return excited and amped the next. I've been with the company for a few months, and have already seen it grow tremendously. We moved offices, and started to really amp-up our hiring. It's exciting to be apart of an innovative, successful company that is truly paving a path in the SaaS space. PagerDuty is going to go far, and I am happy I am along for the ride.

Cons

Don't hate the pager, hate the game.

Keep it up! You guys inspire us everyday.

Amazing experience in a fast growing start up!

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

A wonderfully open and transparent environment that is very conducive to growth and learning! This is the definition of a start up that is transforming the IT space for the better. Everyone is extremely passionate about their work and our product. We are more of a flat organization not focused on title or rank but more on collaboration and getting the job done. The work life balance is one of the best!

Cons

There isn't too much or anything at all I can say that is negative.

Keep it up and stay open minded because it's working!

PagerDuty is an engaging start up with amazing people and talent

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am really enjoying being surrounded by smart, ambitious people understand how to work hard and also still have fun! People are on their A-game and accountable and yet the vibe is still fun, collaborative and enthusiastic.

Cons

I am still getting used to the pace, as it is the fastest pace I have ever worked in, but I am getting there! But that's really more my getting accustomed, as hey, it is a startup!

Best workplace i have worked till now

Current Employee - Operations Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Leadership team is technical
    - Compensation is on par with market
    - Product is getting better every day, which gives motivation to the entire organization
    - No restrictions on opensource adoption and contribution (as long as it does not involve core products)
    - Ability to take risk (in terms of new technology, tools, stacks, people etc) and iterate quickly and learn from failure. And internalizing the same as a company culture, its just awesome
    - Attitude to embrace remote working, this is crucial if you have family and you stay outside SF (somedays commute is just horrible , due to games, road closures, public commute issues etc)

Cons

- Rapidly growing mid-management layer, this creates silos, information loss between hops.
    - Being in SF, its becoming increasingly difficult to commute,

- Dont swell the mid-management layer so much that you cant get feedback from people who are working at the front line, or at least setup skip level meetings
    - Split teams if they are larger than 5-7. Every technical team deserve a tech lead, just like senior management requires mid-management for better communications. Managers are not tech-lead,

Amazing Company, Culture, and Product!

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Hardworking, smart, and passionate coworkers who are actually cool people to hang out with... which makes team bonding events actually fun to attend
     - Great Benefits (the usual start-up perks: lots of pto, unlimited sick days, flex-time, catered lunch, lots of snacks, 2 kegerators, movie nights, whiskey wednesdays)
     - People LOVE the product - you are building something that is actually useful!

Cons

We are really close to the ball park, so baseball season is kind of annoying because 2nd gets so crowded. Hope you're a Giants fan!

You already do such an amazing job investing time and energy into your teams to make them successful - keep up the good work!

Worked for PagerDuty? Contribute to the Community!