Paladin Security Group

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
3.2

Ashley Cooper

With some serious changes, this company has the potential to be the best.

I have been working at Paladin Security Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large variety of work. High Profile Contracts. Company Culture is good on paper and well-outlined. Extensive and FREE on-line training programs for employees. Educational assistance program for professional development. In-house training facility. Pay is highly competitive when compared to other contract security companies. Solid benefits and perks available to staff.

Cons

Communication very poor between front-line staff and upper management, leaving employees on some contracts feeling isolated from the company. Pay is NOT competitive with non-security related industries, which can be a strain due to the inherent risks of the job. However, this is not indicative of the company and points to the industry as a whole. Positive change is a hot topic, but can feel delayed due to the large size of the company and all of the branches it has to travel through.

This company has all the tools to succeed and has even been recognized as one of Canada's best managed companies. However, there needs to be a hard look at communication through the ranks as a large number of front line employees isolated from the company culture couldn't tell you what the "Paladin Difference" is. That being said, I have a lot of faith in this organization and believe that with some positive changes, it can go from "one of the best" to "the best" managed company in Canada.

Sep 17, 2014Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. As our company grows coast to coast, and our online community continues to engage our staff directly, so too do our communication channels.

In addition to our monthly
    ... More

Security Officer

Former Employee - Security Guard in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Paladin Security Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pro in working for this company is that it is a job. A very poor job at best.

Cons

Very poor pay, poor benefits, incompetent guards that don't speak English, smug and arrogant supervisors, and office staff that don't care. Avoid this company like the plague. If you are making $11 an hour, the company is charging it's clients at least $18-20 per hours for your work! They make $8 an hour off of your labor and treat you like garbage. Only way to get promoted is to suck up to your boss and be a jerk to those under you.

Oct 24, 2014Social Media Manager

Hi there, our pay scale is among the most competitive in the industry and our employees are well looked after by our branch Employee Care Coordinators, Corporate ECC, HR Managers and Client Service ... More

The "Old Boys Club" is very much the name of the game in Calgary.

Former Employee - Healthcare Security Officer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Healthcare Security Officer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Paladin Security Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I started working for Paladin in 2011 I met and interacted with a group of competent, dynamic, enthusiastic and professional people. My manager was a polite, friendly, helpful European gentleman who did his job extremely well. The two Peace officers with whom I worked and two of my former Paladin work colleagues are four of the finest people it has been my privilege to work with and to know.

Cons

In 2013 all of the exceptional people I knew who worked at Calgary Paladin operations and the company offices had departed and were replaced by a succession of rude, inept, incompetent, careless people. A culture of office politics, back stabbing, favouritism, sexism, bigotry and homophobia now exists at the Calgary offices. Beware if you are not "one of the boys" and do not fit in. Regardless of whether or not you are punctual, polite and maintain a high standard, your efforts will not be appreciated and you will soon find yourself removed from site and unemployed because some people do not like you. I quickly found myself out of a job because regrettably I finally snapped one day after 2 years and 8 months of negative stress and work related issues. You would think that after almost 3 years of loyal service the managers would want to know what happened, why and how they might help. Apparently not.

Please take a look at how dysfunctional the Calgary office has become. Bullying and homophobic bigotry has no place in the 21st century even if it is Calgary.

Sep 11, 2014Social Media Manager

Hi, we are sorry you feel that way, but as one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures, the majority of our staff has very positive employment ... More

Amazing Company, Amazing group, sucky economy

Current Employee - Security Guard/Operator in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard/Operator in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Paladin Security Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For a young adult this is a great company to work for. Out of all my friends who work retail, for family buisnesses, etc, I continue to be paid the most.
    The schedual is also very flexible(to an extent): when I was a student I could only work 3 days a week, then I moved on to full time with plenty of overtime whenever I wanted. I can set my availability and they are more than willing to work around it.
    There is also plenty of opportunities for internal growth and lots of areas for you to move up in the company or to take on new placements, try something new, etc.
    While people my age (17-25yr olds) struggle to find full time work or decent pay I am guarenteed atleast 40hrs a week and I make a couple dollars more per hour than they do. Ontop of that, plenty of really cool and really fun overtime!
    This is a GREAT starter job for people right out of high school, or those who need a couple of extra dollars on the side.
    This is also a great job for those looking to get into Policing, health care, or etc

Most of the managers were also security guards at some point so they know what we've gone through and genuniely care.
    The managers, and even the president of the whole company, is very responsive and kind to the people who work under them and even provide lots of incentives to work hard or like to organize "hang outs"

The job is also very fun and enjoyable! you really end up having a great time and experience a lot of cool stuff.

Cons

The cons aren't so much anything dirrectly at the company but at the nature of the industry in general. Security 20 years ago use to be mostly inhouse and thus would pay $20+/h. However since the Recession, and especailly since the privitization of most security (as well as proliferation of smaller companies like Concord, Guarda and the Comissionairs) the wage of the average security guard has dropped significantly.

The fact that security is very important for liability and safety also means that sometimes you may be forced to work overtime, but luckly thats rare (if ever) and more depends on your co-workers rather than the company: while at McDonalds someone not showing up or showing up late just means everyone works a bit harder, in Security someone not showing up or being late causes a huge safety concern in that people MUST stay to cover that position. The company is though really good about if you have prior committments: if you genuinely can not stay late because of committments, let your bosses know and 99% of the time they will work around it

On occasion you meet bad apples within the company but you find that in any company you work in and in my experience Paladin has the fewest or the easiest to deal with.

Security is also mostly a night-time industry (ie: things are generally safer during the day because of more wittnesses) so be prepared to work plenty of nights or late afternoon shifts.

Keep doing what your doing, I would suggest that managers take more interest in knowing what everyone in their related portfolios do and their personal experiences: ie: the operations people, the alarm techs, etc

I would also add a couple more fun activities/events that people who work nights/afternoons can still do: ie: the time of the Christmas or Summer party is very inconvienient for people who work nights or afternoons

Aug 14, 2014Social Media Manager

Thank you for the great review, we are thrilled to hear you love working for Paladin Security and we will take the feedback on board. Keep up the good work!

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Security Officer in Brandon, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Brandon, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Paladin Security Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Competitive Wages
    - Job isn't repetitive, always a different task to do everyday
    - Site staff at each site treat security staff with respect and are great to work with
    - Site Supervisors and Event Supervisors are well trained and are there for new employees when they are in need of assistance
    - Branch Management in Brandon, MB treat employees amazing. Management is there for security officers and supervisors when help and/or guidance is needed
    - Branch Management helps encourage personal growth for all staff
    - Paladin Security Group was awarded "Best Managed Company". I can definitely agree with that award when working with Brandon, MB Management

Cons

I cannot think of a "con" within Paladin Security Group.

The "promote from within" policy needs to be looked at and adjusted. I have applied to numerous management positions across Canada and never recieve calls or emails from the branches because I am not from the province that the position is posted.

Aug 14, 2014Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review, our team in Manitoba is awesome! We will take the Promotion From Within feedback into consideration with our Human Resources teams nationwide, but please be advised to let ... More

Great Company

Former Employee - Security Officer in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Paladin Security Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Good pay
    Friendly Staff
    You can work when you want

Cons

Bad Operations Management
    Shifts get cancelled at times
    Relief isn't always available

Aug 14, 2014Social Media Manager

We are happy to hear you enjoyed Paladin's accommodating shift schedules. A career with us does not have to mean sacrificing all of your spare time and compromising your life’s schedule. Whether you ... More

Security Guard

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Paladin Security Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None, company is all about image

Cons

Extremely disorganized. Poor communication between sites and main office Right hand doesn't' know what left hand is doing

Sep 24, 2014Social Media Manager

Hi, we assure you that as one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures, our company is all about substance and good organization! We're also ambidextrous ... More

Highest paying company in a minimum wage industry!

Current Employee - Healthcare Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Healthcare Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Paladin Security Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great hard working people, who are the best in the business at dealing with the worst situations! Company provides free training and uniforms (but so does MacDonalds and Walmart) IF you stay for at least 6 months full time. Otherwise you have to pay them back several hundreds of dollars.

Cons

If you like dealing with daily workplace violence in a psychiatric ward or a busy ER, in an environment where you are exposed to disease and illness like HIV and Hepatitis for little more than minimum wage, then being a Paladin Healthcare Security Officer is the job for you! Otherwise get a job as a Walmart greeter. The housekeeping staff in the hospital get paid more to mop the floor than Security does to risk their health and safety on a daily basis. Years ago, in-house security was paid over $20 per hour. Now the job goes to the lowest bidder(Paladin) for $11-13 per hour. Only site supervisors get paid a couple bucks more than that.

Management should try living and commuting in Greater Vancouver on $11-13 per hour. It costs me over $25 per day (first 2 hours of work) for gas, tolls and parking just to get to work each shift. Company likes to say they are the highest paying in the business. Maybe it's time for the company to earn their 'Best Managed' title in the eyes of their employees and raise the bar!

Jul 24, 2014Social Media Manager

Hi, in response to your review, we would like to point out that healthcare security is considered a very rewarding and exciting experience for many of our 500+ team members working in this field in ... More

Great work experience or living hell depending on site placement.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in New Westminster, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in New Westminster, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Paladin Security Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good advancement opportunities
    Health Care is great for those aspiring to join Law Enforcement
    Two weeks vacations
    Three sick days a year
    Those ranked above you will try to grow you into new roles
    Online Training

Cons

They pay is best in the industry... but the industry pays too little. 11/hr to start... 16/hr for Healthcare Supervisors more or less... yet for in house Security it was 20-25/hr for healthcare. What happened to all that extra cash? In the pockets of the company.

The pay is fair for everything else, but Healthcare Security is grueling work where we are exposed to workplace violence and illness on a daily basis. Sorry 13/hr to 16/hr? NOT ENOUGH!

Work with the Health Authorities to gain more money for the officers.

Realistically though, keep up the great work, but try to spend more time with the officers. Some officers go many months without ever meeting their managers. This is important to keeping up the morale of officers as it shows that they are not forgotten and that they are valued.

Side note... Health Care is almost completely owned by Paladin as far as I know... time to expand to malls like Guildford and Metrotown.

Jun 10, 2014Social Media Manager

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoy working in healthcare security as Paladin Security is Canada’s leading provider of healthcare security services serving more than ... More

AVOID PALADIN SECURITY, IF YOU CAN

Former Employee - Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Paladin Security Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I don't have any reason to work for this crap, and manipulating company

Cons

Awful, and Untrained Supervisors (Even they don't know which key will open Fire panel in case of a fire alarm), don't know how to schedule the people.
    Awful Site Managers (who never get back to you if you communicate with them using any system), and respond you without reading what you are asking about. They do nothing, but pretend that they are TOO busy to answer your phone call/email.
    Awful Scheduling people, who don't know what they are doing.
    Biggest manipulative company

First of all, acknowledge that the Security Guards are HUMANS, too.
    Make the efficient people, the supervisors.
    Make the efficient people, the site managers, who should be more accountable and willing to listen their criticism from the staff.
    Stop manipulations.
    Fire the whole Scheduling department, and hire some intelligent people (Of course, you will not get the intelligent people @ $12/hr.)

Jul 9, 2014Social Media Manager

Hi, we are sorry you feel that way, but as one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures, thousands of our employees would disagree. Good luck in your ... More

Paladin Security Group Photos