Palantir Technologies

Updated November 22, 2014
3.8

Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp

Pros
  • A great place to solve tough problems and have smart people as peers (in 9 reviews)

• Really fun, lots of great perks and great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Burnout is real bad at this company, not good for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• The company has done a great job at adapting to its growing pains as they come up (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Less of a job than a journey

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The variety and access to interesting work is unparalleled - both in terms of the business outcomes and the technologies we use. Palantir really does try to stick to its mission statement of solving the world's toughest problems.

Huge amounts of autonomy - management generally trusts employees to spend their time in a way that make sense. Customer engagements are generally modeled and run as "mini-Palantirs" with a lot of discretion given to the 4-7 people assigned to that project.

Growth and ownership of outcomes - since things are generally run so independently, it means that you're directly responsible for the outcome of >7 figure contracts, along with both the learning (and pain) that comes from dealing with something of that magnitude. Top performers are recognized and rewarded with increased responsibility/autonomy. Palantir is also growing so fast there's so much work to be done that there is lots of opportunity to step up and own transformational pieces of the business.

Working with incredibly smart and inspirational people - Palantirians comes from all walks of life (military, YCombinator, private equity, public service...) but they were pretty much all top performers in their previous vocation. You tend to become very close with people who go through fires with. They're also generally humble and awesome people. I consider some of my coworkers to be my closest friends.

Cons

The all-consuming nature of the work - due to the nature of our engagements and the fact that you're generally directly on the hook for its success or failure, the hours can be very long. Tackling the world's most difficult problems can sometimes translate into getting the less glamorous stuff done such as dealing with difficult clients or debugging production outages at 5am. Different people have different lifestyle needs and Palantir tries to ensure that employees don't get burnt out, but the job is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Below-market cash compensation - Palantir is proactive about identifying top performers and ensuring that their compensation structures are aligned with their contributions, but a large part of that is rewarded in the form of equity. Means that if Palantir keeps on growing then they will be handsomely rewarded, but worth noting that a lot of these people could be making 300-500k+ working working at Bain or even at other tech companies.

Breakneck growth means that things can be chaotic... Palantir has doubled in size since I joined two and a half years ago and some of our internal machines have definitely not scaled. A lot of work is currently being done to improve things like recruiting and lead expectations, but still plenty of work to be done.

As we grow, be sure that our top talent still feels appreciated and motivated while also making sure that new hires understand and buy into the mission. Important for us to mature from a startup to the world's most important company but equally important that we don't become a faceless corporation. Stay true to the values and mission statement that got us here.

Strong growth opportunities, high impact, work with the smartest people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined Palantir from industry - I previously worked as a software engineer at a popular large Silicon Valley tech company. I've learned more here at Palantir in a few months than I have had in over a year at my previous job, and this is even after years of software engineering experience - I attribute this to the high caliber of people that I work with at Palantir, and the tremendous challenges we have to tackle. The level of impact I can have on the projects is extremely high - not only are my contributions meaningful and make a significant difference on whether our product ships successfully or not, but also I have a pretty big level of exposure to how we deploy and sell our product out in the world. Combine that with the fact that our products have a tremendous impact on the real world in a very real manner, and you get an awesome environment that I think is very difficult to find anywhere else.

Cons

The high hiring bar means we have a hard time hiring folks - which means our teams can be strapped for people. You may be wear multiple technical hats as a software engineer and be challenged in ways that will make you grow - this may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Smart engineers, weak management

I worked at Palantir Technologies as an intern

Pros

-Engineers are smart and you can have interesting conversations with them - in general good people to be around
    -If you are young it is a pretty good environment to be in. There are fun events every once in a while
    -The company is doing interesting things in many verticals and has a lot of potential for expansion and growth

Cons

-Chaotic growing pains, people stretched too thin and overworked
    -Management and organization not so good
    -Internship project allocation, expectations, and feedback mechanism quite unclear. Did not get a rich mentorship and learning experience despite being surrounded by smart people because full-timers were too busy and Palantir's culture stifles asking questions for fear of coming off as not adept.

Don't bother applying here if you have more than 2 years of work experience

I worked at Palantir Technologies

Pros

Location in downtown Palo Alto
    Food and perks
    Smart people that are down to earth

Cons

I gave this 2 stars instead of 1 because the product is so innovative and will truly help many sectors. Pay seems to be low by design. My guess is that the idea is to attract young people with no experience who don't know any better into a sweatshop environment and work them to death to maximize investor profit. The irony is that they tell people that it should be enough just to have the honor of working at Palantir and they don't want people there who are interested in money. Hmmm......

The recruiting department is the worst I have ever seen.

No Direction and Incompetent Team

Former Employee - Recruiter in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Free Food
    -Friends for life on different teams

Cons

Where do I start?

-No direction: I was a contract recruiter and there was no direction about the process, the teams, or anything at all. Most of the recruiters here are former Googlers that are so happy to have a full time job they hold onto everything they know in fear of anyone becoming better than they are.

-Isolation: The recruiting team also felt separate from the rest of the company. It was as if people on the team did not seem themselves as valuable as the other teams and the rest of the company didn't seem to respect to the team either.

-Incompetent People: For a company that claims to hire the smartest people in the world, the people on this team probably had to be the most incompetent people I have ever worked with in my career. They know nothing about technology at all and pretend to work long hours.

Fire the team and start again

Smart Engineers, Weak Management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The engineers I got to work with were smart, despite most of them being hired straight out of university. It was a great opportunity to learn from quality (though arguably inexperienced) engineers.

Cons

My mentor / team lead were quite ineffective at communication and giving feedback. My experience would have been much better if I had gotten more feedback more often.

Make sure the leads and mentors are good communicators

Fantastic people, difficult but engaging and important work.

Current Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The mission is important and your impact on it is clear. You work with the smartest people in the world, with a strong selection bias towards humility. You will learn a lot and work on very, very hard problems.

Cons

I've had a great time here, but the long-hours complaints aren't entirely unfounded. I've never felt pressured to stay late by team members, but I knew the project demanded it and so I did (by my own accord). It didn't go unrecognized.

Spice up the Shire a bit! Physically, I mean. It's somewhat drab compared to other Palantir offices.

50/50

Former Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

They deal with some very interesting problems.

Cons

Management is going through growing pains and doesn't know how to allocate work properly. Sometimes seemed fairly haphazard in organizing.
    Pressure to work a ton.

One of the best (and most intense) jobs you'll ever have

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazingly smart coworkers and managers -- a much denser concentration of brilliant people than anywhere else I've worked. Great office perks (food, dogs, etc). Fun culture.

Cons

If you're looking for anything close to a 40-hour work-week, then Palantir probably isn't the right place for you. They expect a substantial, continuing commitment of time and energy. Expect to spend most of your waking life in the office.

Work Hard, Be Challenged, Make an Impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Mission & Impact
    - People & Culture
    - Benefits
    - Opportunity to grow

Cons

I could use more work life balance to be honest. I've worked harder at this company than any other previous job, put in way more hours. But it's also by choice - I love the people I work with and this company is about.

Palantir Technologies Photos