Palantir Technologies Reviews

100 reviews filtered by
3.9
Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp

Pros
  • A great place to solve tough problems and have smart people as peers (in 9 reviews)

• Really fun, lots of great perks and great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Burnout is real bad at this company, not good for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• The company has done a great job at adapting to its growing pains as they come up (in 8 reviews)

1. Internship

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Person who introduced the company is very friendly. The company is located in New York. Best place, good people and company.

Cons

People are dedicated the their jobs. Compared to Facebook and Google, it is new company and the capacity of hiring intern is limited.

Advice to Management

Increase the reputation of company by giving more advertisement to well known sites. Also, they must increase the internship opportunities.

Lots of talented people in a fast-paced environment, building an incredible product and driven by the mission.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Palantir Technologies

Pros

Palantir is a highly mission-driven company. Most people there are inspired, one way or another, to help "the world's most important institutions solve their hardest problems". Everyone is brilliant. The culture values and rewards hard work. Very stimulating to be surrounded by so many talented and driven people.

Cons

The engineers are fantastic as are the senior directors, but middle management (i.e., who you will probably report to as a developer) is pretty weak. They are promoted largely on the basis of engineering talent (which is important) and not on the ability the lead (also important). Didn't find the culture very conducive to collaboration.

Advice to Management

Because the team leads do more team leading than coding, it makes sense to consider leadership skills more heavily in selecting leads.

3. Superstar group of people

Current Employee - Programmer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Programmer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great salaries. crazy smart management.

Cons

absurd work hours. there is little room for error

Incredible Workplace

I have been working at Palantir Technologies

Pros

Driven co-workers - always feel like you're part of a team, lots of autonomy, access to large scale problems, great company culture

Cons

Lots of autonomy is coupled with very little structure - you need to take initiative to make sure you get to do what you like to do, or you may end up doing unpleasant work

Advice to Management

More visibility into overarching company strategy would be great.

Not great for non-engineers/women

Current Employee - Operations in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Super fun workplace with great co-workers. If you're an engineer, you're treated like a God. Co-workers are very smart and passionate.

Cons

If you're not an engineer, you are often looked down upon or not taken seriously. Lots of sexism/classism. Very elitist leaders. Terrible leadership training and mentorship.

Advice to Management

Train your leads better. Make a more standardized raise/promotion structure. Work on the sexism part.

7. Great mission and an amazing group of young and passionate engineers

I worked at Palantir Technologies

Pros

- Young atmosphere
    - Perks
    - Your work really matters

Cons

- No equity
    - This job is high time commitment.

One of the best places I have ever worked - people are great and motivated.

Current Employee - Product Expert
    Current Employee - Product Expert

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are amazing, and there is a ton of role flexibility. However, you have to be proactive in messaging, and managing your own career growth.

Cons

You must take initiative to manage your career

Large Impact Work, Growing Company, Plenty of Opportunities

Current Employee - Deployment Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Deployment Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-I've never been surrounded by so many intelligent and devoted people, the fact that everybody has stake in the company's success drives a different type of commitment to the quality of work that is output. Everybody is willing to help you learn the ropes and get new employees up to speed.
    -Tons of perks, my credit card statement is essentially $0 Mon-Fri due to the fact that they take care of pretty much all expenses related to life and work during the week.
    -Conducting business in a non-traditional matter, the company is really focused on the long term success versus short term gain, which is translating to interesting business decisions that the vast majority of companies wouldn't make due to previous biases on how traditional companies may operate.
    -The opportunity to take on a TON of responsibility from the get go, regardless of what age you come into the company at. If you're smart enough to get past the interview process, they trust you to tackle some of the toughest problems out there.

Cons

-You get to know people on your team really well within BD, but if you're off on a project x days a week its tough to get to know everybody else in the office. Weekly office happy hours help.

Needs to be honest with recruits, work/life balance non-existent for good workers

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company provides a lot of opportunities to come and go as you please. You get to travel a lot with the company. Food and perks are beyond any other company. Casual environment makes it more pleasant to be there.

Cons

I was stunned when I found out that leadership asked people to fill out positive reviews on glassdoor, you'll see a stacked amount of reviews for the DC office in a span of two days. I am already looking for another job since this place has bait and switched on what I would be doing. A lot of the negative reviews are covered up, but there's a lot of truth: low pay, bad work life balance, and lack of good hiring or recruiting.

Advice to Management

Stop covering up what it's like - having your senior people write glassdoor reviews is a bad sign. I feel like my recruiter was lying about the opportunities of what I'll be doing so I think some of the posts are accurate. Low pay is a huge issue - equity is not as good for newer employees. Be honest and stop piling on glassdoor reviews to cover the truth.

Most important work I've ever done

Current Employee - Deployment Strategist in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Deployment Strategist in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

IMPACT! - I've worked in several other industries, and no matter where I was, I was never inspired by my work. My coworkers and I counted our vacation hours, worked from home, and took long lunches. Palantir is completely, utterly, totally different. I love my work here, and I'm inspired to do phenomenal work not just for some promotion or title but for a greater good in the world. A lot of the reviews I've read about Palantir talk about working hard, and that's definitely true, but I'd rather spend 50 hours a week doing something I believe in than 5 hours a week doing something I don't.

Autonomy - I don't have a boss - none of us do. How cool is that? I get to decide what I need to do to do a great job. Nobody's making sure I'm at my desk by 9 or assigning me Powerpoints at 5pm. Since I have the most context on my deployment, I'm empowered to do what I think is right. If I see something wrong, the onus is on me to fix it. Not once have I ever felt I was doing something just because someone else told me to.

People - Before Palantir, I had never worked somewhere where everyone was smart and dedicated. I'll probably never have this experience after Palantir either. From the CEO (on the road like 300 days a year) to the guys serving breakfast in the morning, everyone is here to crush their job. It's incredibly inspiring.

It's actually fun to be here - Nerf fights, puppies running around, colleagues riding around on Razor scooters and playing FIFA... I actually LIKE being at work. So few people get to say that, and I feel really lucky.

Cons

Comp - The salary cap is obviously inconvenient, but I still ended up with a raise to come here, and I probably would have taken a pay cut to do this work anyway. Nobody here is going hungry, and we've got upside in our equity.

Location - Tyson's Corner (where the DC office is located) is really inconvenient. Palantir is moving the office to Georgetown, which should be a huge improvement.

Advice to Management

Haha, this is kind of a silly question. We're all empowered to fix things that are broken and take the lead on things we find important or that we'd be good at, so it's weird to me to think of Palantir as having "management" without thinking of all of us.

If this means the CEO and the handful of Directors, then I'd tell them to send more frequent updates on big developments in the business (not just limit news to Beer Syncs). We do get a ton of e-mail, but a bi-weekly or monthly update would help a lot with SA.

Lastly, we all know we need more people. We can't lower the bar to bring people in, but we can invest even more in Recruiting to make sure we've got the resources we need.

Palantir Technologies Photos