Pall Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.7

Pall President & CEO Lawrence D. Kingsley
Lawrence D. Kingsley

Pros
  • Great people that love their jobs despite poor management (in 5 reviews)

• Enganginging with cutting edge technology (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a high level of dissatisfaction among the sales managers in India regarding their remuneration packages (in 4 reviews)

• They just added time to do things that ultimately, no one cared about anyway (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of promising potential that is, unfortunately, offset by a bewildering and complicated producdevelopment process ,

Current Employee - Senior Principal R&D Engineer  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Principal R&D Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Pall full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fantastic amount of internal talent.

Very broad market coverage that somewhat isolates Pall from the up and down cycles you see with companies that only sell into one or two markets.

Good cash reserves that allow them to aggressively develop solutions to address portfolio gaps.

Cons

Huge amount of confusion in the engineering community caused by Pall"s Sage Gate Process, which is THE MOST complicated one I have ever seen.

Pall's Gate process doesn't work for novel products that have significant technical challenges that need to be solved before they would be commercially viable.

Zenophobic mentality makes it impossible to gather realistic and meaningful customer feedback early in the product development process....................historically pall spends years developing a product before it is ever shown to anyone outside the company. Pall management recognizes that this needs to be improved, but they have not implemented disclosure strategies the would allow allow marketing or engineering to gather reliable customer feedback early in the development process.

Pall's ultimate mission is to offer solutions that allow our customers separate, purify or concentrate product. Our endgame is not to fill in all the boxes on the myriad of checklists that are in the stage gate process.

Simplify the Stage gate Development process and publish exemplary examples that will be used as guides for future gate submissions.

Hire project managers whose sole purpose is to move projects through the gate process.

A great history of innovation and quality

Former Employee - Production Technician  in  Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Pall full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training and salary / benefits. The work environment is clean and safe. Unless you have a college education you will only go so far and that is just fine.

Cons

No regard for a persons sleep habits or personal time. You are considered another piece of equipment to be used when necessary and to be let go of whenever they need to hire another vice president. This unfortunately is a sign of the times. Corporate greed at its very best.

You may all sleep better at night if you would realize your employees deserve some respect as human beings. Some of you may feel this is just the way a business is run properly and others are just trying to climb the ladder stepping on other peoples fingers as you go. Karma will most likely be the winner in the end.

Great benefits but no heart

I worked at Pall

Pros

Great benefits. Winter break. Some nice people.

Cons

Work almost around the clock with no acknowledgement. Some people very cold and rude. People fired a month after hurricane sandy.

Show some heart

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lot's of Potential

I have been working at Pall full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly people who are very smart and intelligent. Benefit package is very good. Company execs have sent stock price through the roof. Huge emphasis on quality and creating new products. Workplace is very clean.

Cons

Local leadership is lacking. They are not on the same page and make decisions that don't make sense. Later on the workers have to work overtime to clean up the mess. Management believes in working short handed and don't schedule properly. Management doesn't care much about the workers.

Treat workers better

Great experience, difficult upward mobility

Current Employee - TFF Applications R&D Engineer I  in  Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - TFF Applications R&D Engineer I in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Pall as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Pall has allowed me to get some great hands-on experience in the Biopharmaceutical industry. It provided me with a balance of lab work, analysis, and reporting, greatly enhancing my professional skills.

Cons

I have been working as a contractor for almost 2 years and there seems to be little opportunities for that to turn into a full time position. From my conversations with others, it also seems that upward mobility and promotions from within are rare.

World Class organization chasing Wall Street valuation at the expense of people

I worked at Pall full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed working close to home.

Cons

Constant restructuring that left many very competant, qualified employees unemployed.

Don't neglect your Systems business

Overall, a good experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at Pall full-time for more than a year

Pros

During my time here, I have had the opportunity to grow professionally, and work with many smart, qualified, friendly, and all around good people. My peers, supervisors, and subordinates all bring a lot to the table in a great team environment.

There are, regularly, opportunities to learn more about the business, operations, finance, or other facets of executing on the corporation's strategic objectives, if you seek them out.

Cons

On the flip side, compensation is extremely sub-par for the area. This is a huge pain point personally, and I perceive it as a constant threat to my ability to retain employees. Look at almost any salary survey for the area, subtract upwards of 40%, and you'll be in the ball park of what Pall will offer you.

Pall has some great technology, but doesn't utilize it well. A common source of frustration is that many processes are still paper based, when the technology exists or is already in place to automate the task or perform it in an electronic format. I don't know about you, but I think having to get paper forms signed, reviewed, or approved is so 1980s.

Generally, some of the communication initiatives that have been undertaken make senior management seem more approachable and open to discussing the business. That's good, and should continue.

With the noted employee concerns about compensation in the NY area, and your quite understandable focus on delivering shareholder value, you should probably consider relocating HQ to a more cost effective location. There is certainly somewhere that you could procure equivalent facilities, talented employees, and pay a lower overall tax and compensation burden while at the same time satisfying everyone's needs. Just a thought.

Weak local management that does not allow career advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cortland, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cortland, NY

I worked at Pall full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good corporate benefits and policys

Cons

At local level people are not happy with management. Hostile work environment with no room for personal growth.

Start treating employees with respect and fairness.

Good opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pall full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good products and long time customer base

Cons

Disorganized, not customer focused enough

Put more faith in regional and territory sales teams

Purgatory (You can only go up from here.)

I worked at Pall full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best reasons to work for this company are:
    1. Decent paid time off (personal days, holidays, shut down periods, etc.)
    2. Any other job you take AFTER this one ought to seem like a breezy paradise by comparison.
    3. The guy or girl in the cube or workstation next to you is probably cool.

Cons

The top challenges faced while working here are:

1. Management: Management seems to think employees are stupid. They spend so much time and money recruiting and interviewing, only to treat employees like incompetent morons who have to be told what to do and how to do it. Management seems terrified of risk, so they tend to micromanage workers, which slaughters efficiency and innovation. Management asks you to do tasks that they wouldn't bother to do themselves. One particular high-level manager has the supremely annoying habit of coming around at the end of tasks or projects and criticizing them, demanding they be reworked, often for minor cosmetic things. Reworks never made the work BETTER. They just added time to do things that ultimately, no one cared about anyway.

Management DOES NOT care about your experience. If you think you're going to start out at position X here and work your way up to management in ten or fifteen years, you are so, SO wrong. Managers are brought in from outside, which should tell you a lot right there. If your goal is to be an executive at Pall, DON'T WORK THERE! You'll ruin your chances.

2. Workload: People are doing the work of three or four, probably because others are leaving in droves. Your priorities will change by the hour. Try managing your own time effectively when a manager whips you back and forth between whatever he feels your top three priorities should be! Your manager will be displeased that you didn't get a majority of your projects done each year, and the constant fire-fighting and insane workload will not be a valid excuse.

Fire yourselves!

Worked for Pall? Contribute to the Community!