Pall

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pall President & CEO Lawrence D. Kingsley

Lawrence D. Kingsley

Pros:
  • "Great people that love their jobs despite poor management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Enganginging with cutting edge technology"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a high level of dissatisfaction among the sales managers in India regarding their remuneration packages"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Long hours when working on a project or implementation"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Purgatory (You can only go up from here.)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best reasons to work for this company are:
    1. Decent paid time off (personal days, holidays, shut down periods, etc.)
    2. Any other job you take AFTER this one ought to seem like a breezy paradise by comparison.
    3. The guy or girl in the cube or workstation next to you is probably cool.

ConsThe top challenges faced while working here are:

1. Management: Management seems to think employees are stupid. They spend so much time and money recruiting and interviewing, only to treat employees like incompetent morons who have to be told what to do and how to do it. Management seems terrified of risk, so they tend to micromanage workers, which slaughters efficiency and innovation. Management asks you to do tasks that they wouldn't bother to do themselves. One particular high-level manager has the supremely annoying habit of coming around at the end of tasks or projects and criticizing them, demanding they be reworked, often for minor cosmetic things. Reworks never made the work BETTER. They just added time to do things that ultimately, no one cared about anyway.

Management DOES NOT care about your experience. If you think you're going to start out at position X here and work your way up to management in ten or fifteen years, you are so, SO wrong. Managers are brought in from outside, which should tell you a lot right there. If your goal is to be an executive at Pall, DON'T WORK THERE! You'll ruin your chances.

2. Workload: People are doing the work of three or four, probably because others are leaving in droves. Your priorities will change by the hour. Try managing your own time effectively when a manager whips you back and forth between whatever he feels your top three priorities should be! Your manager will be displeased that you didn't get a majority of your projects done each year, and the constant fire-fighting and insane workload will not be a valid excuse.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves!

Worst company ever worked.. SAP department with full of idiot managers - bullying is a daily business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOk salary, nice office location

ConsPoor management, no planning, you will be throwed at any point of time irrespective of your good work

Disaster. Stay away, far away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, adequate benefits. Corporate Compliance and Ethics are taken seriously, albeit to an extreme that makes management hesitant to take calculated risk

ConsA real blame culture. Cut throat politics Lots of turnover in leadership. No strategy that is clear to the employees. Values are written but not demonstrated. Very little leadership development, ergo not the best people leaders. People have no voice, so they use the Ethics Hotline to make complaints about their issues and get attention. Corporate makes most of the decisions. Creates a fox hole mentality at the local level, where no one wants to make decisions or rock the boat. Top leadership (especially Larry Kingsley) is not visible to employees and there is no strong communication strategy to help the employees understand the business strategy and what they do to contribute to the success of the Company. No support or clear direction from leadership. No coaching, just fingerpointing. Worst company I every worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementSorry, but I do not believe this Company, under it's current leadership, would listen or take heed to any advice. There has been lots of work done to make the Company more profitable in the short term, but it needs to invest in it's people, starting with better people leaders, to really take the Company to the next level.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Field Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful people at the project level

ConsUnethical conduct \ dishonesty rampant in Port Washington
    Obvious that company is about to sell off divisions

Absolutely horrendous experience

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Port Washington, NY

ProsThe winter break. My manager tried to tell me that I wasn't eligible for the winter break during my first year, but when I got HR involved, my manager was not happy that I told on them. Nonetheless, I got the winter break off. You're allowed to wear jeans to work but you will be frowned upon.

ConsLack of career opportunities and no training. No pay raise for 2 years straight, and 1 week salary for bonus. You will be worked to death in OT while managers and higher ups go home at 5pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to concentrate on promoting and training your internal people instead of paying for outside consultants that are killing bottom line profits. "One Pall" is a joke because everyone is an information hoarder, just to keep their jobs. "Google is your best friend" was the answer I got when inquiring about job training. "Ask questions if you want to learn" but everyone is always too busy to stop and provide answers. I have never worked in a more politically charged and stressful work environment. I felt the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders when I walked through the exit doors for the last time. Leaving Pall was the best career move I have ever made. I see this company imploding from within in the near future. If management did a satisfaction survey of current employees, Pall would fail miserably!

Laid me off the week after I bought a house

Operator (Former Employee)
    Fort Myers, FL

ProsThere is nothing about this company that I would recommend to anybody. About the only good thing about this company is the insurance

ConsTreat the workers like slaves, Mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays. We had to work while the management team did not.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat unto others as you would yourself

Stuck in a "work around" culture. Systems are only for show.

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood place to show off your PhD.

ConsYou don't have a PhD? comeback when you have one or promotions don't happen

Advice to Senior ManagementSales plans are meant to be followed and based on reality. Do more active selling instead of baby sitting accounts.

Depressing place to work. No job satisfaction

Shop Floor (Current Employee)
    Redruth, England (UK)

ProsUsed to pay well .Was an enjoyable place to work

ConsEmployees are just an expendable resource and the years of service count for nothing .At the bottom level your opinion doesn't count and is never asked for .Generally treated like children and all that counts is profit for the shareholders at the employees expense

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as an asset

OMG

ProsBenefits can be better than in other places

ConsIf you are looking at these reviews to help make a decision between this and another company, my advice is to take the other company's offer.

If you are seeking an engineer position, your workload will be crazy and your results probably won't please the management. Don't be surprised if you are given trainings in 6Sigma, SPC, etc & are still treated like a half-wit.

If you are interested in a manager position, you will need skin like a hippopotamus. You will also be buried with work and have maybe one person to delegate simple tasks to. Most of your time will be spent in meetings, and you will be held accountable for all the work not done because you are constantly in meetings.

There is nowhere to go and no advancement opportunity here. Outsiders are brought in to fill higher spots and those who wanted to work their way up have to leave to make it happen.

If you applied for production operator, I hope you like finding out on Friday that you're expected to work a weekend day too so the schedule can catch up! On the plus side, you just need to follow directions, keep your head down and don't hurt yourself doing something dumb.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is the smartest group that the world has ever known. They can solve every problem perfectly and if you are wise you will learn why you are so wrong all the time. Their cup is full, there is nothing to tell them.

Highly unprofessional setup at Pall India

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mumbai (India)

ProsFew great people to work with.

ConsGood experience if your next career plan is to sell mobile phone SIM cards.

Management, especially in India, work without any integrity. Sales incentive plan (SIP) is set based on unreasonable targets.

Skills, recognition, motivation, understanding of goals, and the ability to measure progress etc. are alien to the managers. All sales and performance credit goes to your manager.

There is a high level of dissatisfaction among the sales managers in India regarding their remuneration packages. So, you can imagine how difficult it would be to haggle over annual salary increment when the frustration is high among the managers themselves.

Even the managers and business unit heads based overseas managing the sales and business developments in India are mean and indulge in politics at the expense of their colleagues in India.

Only a few sales / marketing managers - regional and global - who can play organizational politics are still sticking around with the company. They will continue to be with the company because they cannot not find a job else where.

Don’t get into this trap. You will all regret the time you wasted at Pall India.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to the management in India. You have not changed anything in so many years; you cannot change anything.

Worked for Pall? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pall reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pall CEO Lawrence D. Kingsley. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Pall employees.