Palm Beach County School District

Updated August 20, 2014
3.3

Palm Beach County School District Superintendent E. Wayne Gent
E. Wayne Gent

Pros
  • They offered many professional development opportunities (in 5 reviews)

• I work with many hard-working and quality professionals (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not earning a living wage compared to cost of living in Palm Beach County (in 2 reviews)

• My administration is hard to work with when dealing with behavioral problems (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District

Pros

Good teamwork and support from district

Cons

Upper level managment needs to see the big picture better

A factory district that is producing a substandard product because we forget that the products are thinking children

Current Employee - School Teacher
    Current Employee - School Teacher

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company that is organized in its management of the staff members, there are many job opportunities, Many choices for teaching in different settings. There is an attempt to make it the best system, although it is micromanaged probably in part due to the size of the district.

Cons

The problem is that even though there are so many choice programs that could be so amazing they are all beginning to look the same and as a result these choice programs loose their innovation and uniqueness. If you are a teacher dying to make a difference and want to use new ideas and different ways of teaching you will be forced to use the same lock-step method of teaching that is called MARZANO.

Allow teachers to feel confident and teach the students rather than to the data,

Not bad, but it depends on your school site

Current Employee - High School Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great colleagues who are willing to collaborate and share (but this depends on your school - I have heard of schools where no one shares); for the most part, students are engaged (but again, this depends on your school); Technology is mostly available, and mostly up-to-date; at my school, the administrators don't micro-manage my content or require a lot of time-wasting lesson plans or reports.

Bottom line, this district is HUGE, so you will see the whole range of school facilities, students, administrators and parent involvement.

Cons

*Waaaaaay too many middle managers at the Taj Mahal, who have forgotten what it's like to be in a classroom with students.
    *No chance for promotion unless you're willing to spend thousands of dollars getting a bogus Ed Leadership masters degree.
    *Top-down management can be disastrous. If you have a district semester exam, you're screwed if you don't zoom through the scope and sequence faster than your students can learn. (Hint: last year's biology 1st semester exam.
    *Training on any technology is pretty much self-instruction. At my school, the technology person doesn't even understand the technology, so no way can that person train anyone else to use it.
    *6-year textbook adoption schedule means that by year 5 or 6, most of the textbooks are pretty raggedy.
    *Helicopter-parent complaining means administration will cave in and side with the parent. (Obviously this depends on your school)
    *Low salaries and almost non-existent raises.

Provide the supplies we need to teach! Seriously, we don't get any copy paper? Administrators and curriculum specialists should be required to get back in the classroom on a regular basis so they can experience what they're requiring us to do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent experience

I worked at Palm Beach County School District full-time

Pros

experience is as good as education when it comes to job promotions

Cons

don't have any, I would still be there if not for my wife career

Find the right school for you

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time

Pros

Large district so many types of schools and you can find one that fits you. Many jobs available. District attempts to stay up to date with best teaching practices and resources.

Cons

Pay in Florida in general is poor for teachers. Not enough funding for certain things. Health insurance is not the best. No tenure, 8 years to be vested for pension. CTA pretty much only fights for senior teachers... does not value new teachers or fight for their fair pay. For example, this year district wanted to raise minimum salary to $40,000 to attract and retain new teachers but CTA refused and insisted on fighting for experienced teachers to get raises of $3,000 or more while only raising starting salary to 39,000.

Really depends on the school and the administration

I worked at Palm Beach County School District full-time

Pros

Well organized district with a lot of professional development.

Cons

Very difficult to get credit for prior experience.

Palm Beach County School District - John F. Kennedy Middle School

Current Employee - John F Kennedy Middle School Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - John F Kennedy Middle School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work with many hard-working and quality professionals. They do all they can to ensure success for students as well as a safe learning environment.
    The hours are great! Approximately 8:30AM to 4PM. The environment is nice. The weather is usually great. The school is close to many great restaurants. There is a diversity of cuisine that is both delicious and economic in price.

Cons

Personal growth is usually only commented upon negatively. Asking for assistance with ANY matter not matter how trivial or enormous is viewed as an inconvenience upon the administration. They tend to seek and then place fault upon the teacher.

Be much more forthcoming and honest with your employees concerning expectations and have the courtesy to give people a two weeks notice before termination. Encourage hospitality between novice and incumbent teachers.

I've taught 5th grade Science only for 4 years and 5th grade Math and Science for 1 year.

Current Employee - School Teacher  in  Greenacres, FL
    Current Employee - School Teacher in Greenacres, FL

Pros

I am a fun always up beat person that wants to help everyone I work with.

Cons

One of m challenges is the parents and sometimes administration. My administration is hard to work with when dealing with behavioral problems.

Not Efficiently Run.

Former Employee - School Teacher
    Former Employee - School Teacher

I worked at Palm Beach County School District full-time for less than a year

Pros

At my particular school the staff and faculty are very nice and work hard!

The district staff answers the phone and return calls.

Cons

There is disconnect between the offices and the staff in regards to student discipline.

*The district is full of red tape and many of those in key positions do not speak clear English making it difficult to communicate. I also believe that there are too many people doing one job which creates confusion and error. Not efficiently run, in my short experience.

There is much to impart, but not here. I will do so in person.

Professionally fulfilling, albeit, not without the usual challenges of public school teaching.

Current Employee - Public School Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Public School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work with many high-quality professionals. They work hard at seeing to it that children learn all they can. They may my professional life enjoyable and support me in my effort to teach even the hard-to-reach student.

Cons

Top-Heavy district level administration seems to frequently put more effort into self-preservation and rewarding their friends, rather than focus on the single most important factor for effective instruction.

When you claim that teachers are the most important factor, you need to budget for their salary before adding to the already top-heavy adminstrative structure.

Palm Beach County School District Photos

Palm Beach County School District

+ Add Photo

Worked for Palm Beach County School District? Contribute to the Community!