Palm Beach County School District

Updated July 30, 2014
3.3

Palm Beach County School District Superintendent E. Wayne Gent
E. Wayne Gent

Pros
  • There are multiple and frequent opportunities for Professional Development (in 4 reviews)

• Plenty of resources to use for instruction (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Not earning a living wage compared to cost of living in Palm Beach County (in 2 reviews)

• My administration is hard to work with when dealing with behavioral problems (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not bad, but it depends on your school site

Current Employee - High School Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great colleagues who are willing to collaborate and share (but this depends on your school - I have heard of schools where no one shares); for the most part, students are engaged (but again, this depends on your school); Technology is mostly available, and mostly up-to-date; at my school, the administrators don't micro-manage my content or require a lot of time-wasting lesson plans or reports.

Bottom line, this district is HUGE, so you will see the whole range of school facilities, students, administrators and parent involvement.

Cons

*Waaaaaay too many middle managers at the Taj Mahal, who have forgotten what it's like to be in a classroom with students.
    *No chance for promotion unless you're willing to spend thousands of dollars getting a bogus Ed Leadership masters degree.
    *Top-down management can be disastrous. If you have a district semester exam, you're screwed if you don't zoom through the scope and sequence faster than your students can learn. (Hint: last year's biology 1st semester exam.
    *Training on any technology is pretty much self-instruction. At my school, the technology person doesn't even understand the technology, so no way can that person train anyone else to use it.
    *6-year textbook adoption schedule means that by year 5 or 6, most of the textbooks are pretty raggedy.
    *Helicopter-parent complaining means administration will cave in and side with the parent. (Obviously this depends on your school)
    *Low salaries and almost non-existent raises.

Provide the supplies we need to teach! Seriously, we don't get any copy paper? Administrators and curriculum specialists should be required to get back in the classroom on a regular basis so they can experience what they're requiring us to do.

Palm Beach County School District - John F. Kennedy Middle School

Current Employee - John F Kennedy Middle School Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - John F Kennedy Middle School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work with many hard-working and quality professionals. They do all they can to ensure success for students as well as a safe learning environment.
    The hours are great! Approximately 8:30AM to 4PM. The environment is nice. The weather is usually great. The school is close to many great restaurants. There is a diversity of cuisine that is both delicious and economic in price.

Cons

Personal growth is usually only commented upon negatively. Asking for assistance with ANY matter not matter how trivial or enormous is viewed as an inconvenience upon the administration. They tend to seek and then place fault upon the teacher.

Be much more forthcoming and honest with your employees concerning expectations and have the courtesy to give people a two weeks notice before termination. Encourage hospitality between novice and incumbent teachers.

Professionally fulfilling, albeit, not without the usual challenges of public school teaching.

Current Employee - Public School Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Public School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work with many high-quality professionals. They work hard at seeing to it that children learn all they can. They may my professional life enjoyable and support me in my effort to teach even the hard-to-reach student.

Cons

Top-Heavy district level administration seems to frequently put more effort into self-preservation and rewarding their friends, rather than focus on the single most important factor for effective instruction.

When you claim that teachers are the most important factor, you need to budget for their salary before adding to the already top-heavy adminstrative structure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

School Board

Current Employee - Manager  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This employer is very flexible when you need days off. The environment is very friendly, the culture is dedicated to employees. Employees can go to their boss because there is an open door policy. You also can self report anything that you may feel needs addressing. You can also report anything that is not policy. The very most important issue is that there is a union. The hours are very favorable.

Cons

I hate clocking in/out on a time clock. The hallways are very long. More money could be put into athletics.

Please allow your employees to have input in some of the decision making process. This will make them feel as though the are an important part of the organization.

Don't become a teacher!

Current Employee - Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

Vacations (although I work a second job during vacations or I would have no extra money)

Cons

They are constantly increasing the amount of (BS) work teachers have to do, most of which is not to help the students, but rather just putting on a show for the higher-ups and politicians. No growth potential, salary or otherwise. The district just gave teachers their first raise in about 9 years. I have a Master's Degree and have been in my career for 6 years and make under $45,000.

Wasted money and Children's potential

Former Employee - Employee  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No one will hold you accountable for anything you do (unless you are caught committing a felony) after your probationary period.
    Lots of time off.

Cons

Not an environment conducive to advancing individuals based on merit. All advancement is based on either nepotism "My son needs a job. Oh really so does my Wife. He doesn't know anything about [insert Expertise/Experience] does that matter? Nah. Does your wife know anything about managing an group of people. No but she sure can yell at the kids. Same thing." OR Patronage, in which case you are completely at the mercy of your patron. 2 Billion dollars a year goes out the door at this place, and ZERO actual accountability happens.

Advice is really more to the Public/Board. Clean house. 80% of the people in leadership positions here do not have the skills needed to be effective leaders. 90% of the positions requiring expertise are not staffed by someone with even a basic level of knowledge about what they are doing. 15% of the teachers being Excellent and underpaid, 35% of the teachers being OK and underpaid, and the rest just waiting for summer, showing kids movies until they can leave for 3 months.

It is great working for palm beach school district.

Current Employee - Substitute  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District for more than 3 years

Pros

You can make the schedule around your life.

Cons

I don't have any cons

None

I enjoyed my time as an educator enriching young minds.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

Educating children and observing their growth academically and as an individual.

Cons

Seems more focused on assessment scores then tackling issues that may hinder student's academic success.

Provide more support to new teachers.

Great substitute teaching experience

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Palm Beach County School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great kids
    Online sublocator website was so convenient along with the sublocator phone calling system
    Ability to work the days and schedule you want

Cons

Going to a different school everyday
    You don't know when you have lunch until you show up for the job, so bring lunch

Sublocator phone system should say the location of the school after it says the name of the school

Middle School Teacher

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

Vacations and Time Off From Work

Cons

No Real Pay Increases and Bonuses

Previous Step-Pay Program Should Be Bought Back

Palm Beach County School District Photos

Palm Beach County School District

+ Add Photo

Worked for Palm Beach County School District? Contribute to the Community!