Palm Beach County School District

www.palmbeachschools.org

Palm Beach County School District Reviews in West Palm Beach, FL

Updated Jun 11, 2014
Palm Beach County School District – West Palm Beach – “Palm Beach County School District”

Palm Beach County School District Superintendent E. Wayne Gent

E. Wayne Gent

Pros
  • There are multiple and frequent opportunities for Professional Development(in 4 reviews)

• Plenty of resources to use for instruction(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Not earning a living wage compared to cost of living in Palm Beach County(in 2 reviews)

• My administration is hard to work with when dealing with behavioral problems(in 10 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Professionally fulfilling, albeit, not without the usual challenges of public school teaching.

Public School Teacher (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsI work with many high-quality professionals. They work hard at seeing to it that children learn all they can. They may my professional life enjoyable and support me in my effort to teach even the hard-to-reach student.

ConsTop-Heavy district level administration seems to frequently put more effort into self-preservation and rewarding their friends, rather than focus on the single most important factor for effective instruction.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you claim that teachers are the most important factor, you need to budget for their salary before adding to the already top-heavy adminstrative structure.

School Board

Manager (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsThis employer is very flexible when you need days off. The environment is very friendly, the culture is dedicated to employees. Employees can go to their boss because there is an open door policy. You also can self report anything that you may feel needs addressing. You can also report anything that is not policy. The very most important issue is that there is a union. The hours are very favorable.

ConsI hate clocking in/out on a time clock. The hallways are very long. More money could be put into athletics.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow your employees to have input in some of the decision making process. This will make them feel as though the are an important part of the organization.

Don't become a teacher!

Teacher (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsVacations (although I work a second job during vacations or I would have no extra money)

ConsThey are constantly increasing the amount of (BS) work teachers have to do, most of which is not to help the students, but rather just putting on a show for the higher-ups and politicians. No growth potential, salary or otherwise. The district just gave teachers their first raise in about 9 years. I have a Master's Degree and have been in my career for 6 years and make under $45,000.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wasted money and Children's potential

Employee (Former Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsNo one will hold you accountable for anything you do (unless you are caught committing a felony) after your probationary period.
    Lots of time off.

ConsNot an environment conducive to advancing individuals based on merit. All advancement is based on either nepotism "My son needs a job. Oh really so does my Wife. He doesn't know anything about [insert Expertise/Experience] does that matter? Nah. Does your wife know anything about managing an group of people. No but she sure can yell at the kids. Same thing." OR Patronage, in which case you are completely at the mercy of your patron. 2 Billion dollars a year goes out the door at this place, and ZERO actual accountability happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice is really more to the Public/Board. Clean house. 80% of the people in leadership positions here do not have the skills needed to be effective leaders. 90% of the positions requiring expertise are not staffed by someone with even a basic level of knowledge about what they are doing. 15% of the teachers being Excellent and underpaid, 35% of the teachers being OK and underpaid, and the rest just waiting for summer, showing kids movies until they can leave for 3 months.

It is great working for palm beach school district.

Substitute (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsYou can make the schedule around your life.

ConsI don't have any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

I enjoyed my time as an educator enriching young minds.

Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsEducating children and observing their growth academically and as an individual.

ConsSeems more focused on assessment scores then tackling issues that may hinder student's academic success.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more support to new teachers.

Great substitute teaching experience

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsGreat kids
    Online sublocator website was so convenient along with the sublocator phone calling system
    Ability to work the days and schedule you want

ConsGoing to a different school everyday
    You don't know when you have lunch until you show up for the job, so bring lunch

Advice to Senior ManagementSublocator phone system should say the location of the school after it says the name of the school

Middle School Teacher

Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsVacations and Time Off From Work

ConsNo Real Pay Increases and Bonuses

Advice to Senior ManagementPrevious Step-Pay Program Should Be Bought Back

Worked Hard...Great Parents Great Kids..Great Coworkers..Terrible Administration

Teacher (Former Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsFeel like you make a difference
    Available Training
    Good hours

ConsNo union
    Annual Contracts for up to four years
    Administration does not listen or try to help

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites.

School District

Teacher (Former Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsDiversity
    Highest paid in the state

ConsTo political
    Not fair
    Doesn't support teachers

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more supportive to teachers

Worked for Palm Beach County School District? Contribute to the Community!