Palm Beach State College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rewarding but not profitable

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsEnvironment, immediate supervision is effective, flexible schedule

ConsNo perks, adjunct salary is not comparable, work-life balance, no benefits, no guarantee of employment from semester to semester.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your adjuncts better so that you can rely on them!

Tutor

Lab Tutor (Former Employee) Lake Worth, FL

ProsWorking with students and watching them grow

ConsLack of funding from State

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Supplemental Instructor

ProsSupportive environment, great people, beautiful campus (PBG)

ConsA little disorganized at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being involved - it makes us feel like we matter!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The environment was always positive. Deadlines were normally met on time unless budgets pushed projects back.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job experience, looks great on a resume, and you can use your projects that you worked on there for your portfolio.

ConsThe woman I was working for did not communicate projects well. Normally would say a project needed A and B elements but while in the final stages of working on said project she would say not to forget C and D elementd as well.

Great work environment for the up and coming professor.

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsGreat place to work. Nice coworkers, students are pleasant and respectful. Support staff very helpful especially for new hires. Great work environment for the up and coming professor.

ConsHard to get a full time or even an adjunct position. May have to pick-up additional classes elsewhere to make ends meet. New hires have to jump through some hoops initially. Need to make more of an effort to make sure students are prepared (i.e. have certain prerequisites) for higher level classes. Too many student just clueless in class because they do not have the proper background.

Great opportunity for students to gain work experience but pay and opportunities at higher levels are slim.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lake Worth, FL

ProsAffordable health care and generous holiday time. The majority of the staff and faculty are genuine and care about student success.

ConsApathy or resistance towards teamwork across departments. Many employees seem to be waiting out for retirement. There have been significant benefits cuts for existing and new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication and project planning. Reward community involvement for staff.

Positive, educational work environment

(Former Employee) Palm Beach Gardens, FL

ProsGreat coworkers. Good culture. Good communication. You work the same schedule as the students' academic calendar, which is nice because you get a lot of time off around the holidays. This type of schedule provides wonderful work/life balance.

ConsPay was low. Not very many opportunities for advancement, unless you transferred departments or switched campuses. The HR hiring process moved at a snail's pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider implementing career mapping - i.e., clearly defined career paths for employees.

Chronism is at all time high. Friends get the job first even if they are less qualified

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Palm Beach Gardens, FL

ProsClean, safe,helpful work environment. Professors are very caring and helpful.

ConsThere is a poor ratio of full time professors versus Adjunct instructors. 60% of college are adjunct employees. HR department responds to job inquiries very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to evaluate the efficiency of there HR employees. Disability accomodations not provided to all employees, however the school was very good about providing these accomodations to students. Diversity in employees not well represented in there full time professors.

Belle Glade Campus

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Belle Glade, FL

ProsIf you are full-time, the benefits and pay are very good. The college is a good one, but this campus is horribly managed. Besides management, the people and students at this campus are great.

ConsJust be careful because management is petty and bureaucratic. Very frustrating, but hopefully it could improve. You will be evaluated in a negative way no matter how good a job you think you are doing. Make sure to keep written evidence of your performance or you will be crucified. Written evidence and numbers proving your worth are the main factor in performance reviews. The campus is in the middle of nowhere so most likely you will have a long commute. Communication and planning is very poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementBasic skills in managing and communicating with people would be helpful. Avoiding confrontation at all costs is very ineffective. Respecting all staff could go a long way. Stop coasting and protecting yourself so that you can make it to retirement and have a little more pride in your work. Overall to management: you get back what you give. Respect and committ to every employee would go a long way too.

Nice place to work

Instructional Designer (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are friendly and the whole atmosphere is very congenial

ConsHiring process can take up to 3 months

Worked for Palm Beach State College? Contribute to the Community!