Palm Beach Tan Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Brooks Reed

Pros
  • New beds and free tanning, you can't beat that (in 13 reviews)

• Get to meet a lot of new people, and get good commission (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of upper Management - Store Managers are driven hard and criticized by (in 5 reviews)

• They will pay you minimum wage forever (in 4 reviews)

1. Shift Lead

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Athens, GA

I worked at Palm Beach Tan (More than a year)

Pros

Palm Beach Tan was a relatively fun environment to work for. It was easy to get along with co workers and often provided an environment to get to know your customers. I learned a lot about sales. There is some commission incentives as well as free tanning.

Cons

Palm Beach Tan does not have the best managers. They care a lot about revenue coming into the store and bonuses on their pay checks as opposed to caring for their employees. Hours suck and you will have the worst schedule unless you are in management where its "required" that only they can work the standard 10-6, or so they say. Lots of complaining. Relatively negative environment.

Advice to Management

Care more about the well being of your employees. If you put more effort into bonding with them and teaching them about the art of selling and product knowledge, you would probably have more successful stores.

2. Manager

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant; Shift Leader; Assistant Manager; Salon Manager in Auburn, AL

I worked at Palm Beach Tan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Palm Beach for over teo years and the best part about it was the relationships I made with coworkers and the amount of opportunity they have for growth within the company. I held every position from tanning consultant all the way to up to the salon manager. The first two weeks are straight training which can be overwhelming but if you take it seriously you jump right into the job and start making money. The way they breakdown commission is the best compared to many other commission jobs. Overall it is a fun place to work.

Cons

They pay beside commission is the WORST! The first 9 months I worked there I was doing work of almost an assistant manager when I was a part time consultant and I had to demand a raise. Most of the time they favortize employees which gets very annoying. Although there is room for upward movement and career opportunities you have to fight for them and once you get those positions they don't talk to you about pay... They just assign you a pay without discussion and it's way too low for the amount of work you have to do. They don't compensate for mileage of part time employees when they are required to drive 45+ minutes to training seminars. They will give you write ups for no reason which is their way of firing people without having to get into a lawsuit about it. After two years I realized how much I hated the morals of this company and that's why I decided to leave. At first I loved the job but by the end I had almost nothing nice to say about upper management or the way the company was being run.

Advice to Management

Upper management like district managers and regional managers are where this company needs to focus. They are the reason I left this company. There are a few that specifically need to be replaced and the culture and morals of this management also needs to be changed.

3. Good job if you still love at home and have few bills

Current Employee - Key Holder in Chelsea, AL
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Chelsea, AL

I have been working at Palm Beach Tan part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tanning, 40% discount on products, commission, you get to wear shorts in summer, not picky about weird hair colors, tattoos, or piercings.

Cons

To get commission you have to meet certain minimums. Like you could sell 1,000 dollars in products alone but if you've seen a ton of customers and aren't averaging a certain amount per customer you get 0 commission off of any of it. You only get paid minimum wage as a key holder. It's actually a lot of work. The cleaning each night is insane, plus bed details once a month where you're assigned 4-5 rooms to detail (remove top and bottom acrylics, treat them, vacuum in between bulbs, move bed toget behind it, etc) and each one takes atleast an hour and you're pouring sweat when you're done. Management usually sucks because they have such young managers. In our area I don't think we have a manager older than 23 and the youngest is 18. So they're usually clueless. Plus you will never get a pay raise.

Advice to Management

Be a fair manager. Don't work only day shifts and never work a single weekend. In my 8 months here my manager has not worked one single weekend day and has only worked a night shift a hand full of times.

5. Palm Beach

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Austin, TX

I worked at Palm Beach Tan (More than a year)

Pros

Free tanning Can make lots of money off commission

Cons

High turnover rate, mostly college kids working there who don't have much invested in the job Different franchise ownership for different stores

6. Overall a nice company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I have been working at Palm Beach Tan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible schedules, bonus programs, fun atmosphere, free tanning,

Cons

The company sometimes doesn't focus on OVERALL performance in your job and picks & chooses what they want to discipline for.

Advice to Management

Please give more opportunity for advancement to store level employees.

7. Full time salon manager

I worked at Palm Beach Tan full-time

Pros

Free tanning, customer relationships, relationships with co workers that have turned into life long friends

Cons

WHERE TO START! Besides the things listed above, working at palm beach tan was horrible I dreaded going to work everyday. I had poured my heart and soul into the company and worked my way up from the bottom and no matter how hard you work or what hoops you have to jump through, upper management doesn't care. They use and abuse their employees so much it's sickening, I was #1 in sales by only in my district but in my region constantly and an amazing manager to my staff and got no recognition for this. This company will promote promote promote you until you get to where you are in the position to be a store manager & then they will give you all these goals you have to reach and once you do so they still place you at many different locations and call you an "acting store manager" where you do all the things a store manager does but get paid as an assistant! They try to get away with this as long as possible and when you try and tell them to promote you after you have reached all the goals they have set they still tell you it's not enough, they keep promising you the promotion but never give it to you. You work endless hours have to come in at any point no matter what if an employee calls in, even if you are out of town ! The DM will call and tell you to come home because this is "your store" if you work here be prepared for not an ounce of personal life. If you aren't at your store you are constantly getting emails and texts. Work never stops. They will try to get away with underpaying you as long as they possibly can and its not right. the company has so much turn over because there is no structure there is a favorites system and the pay is so terrible, they think because they pay commission that their base pay can be crap when commission is only good in spring and summer. This company makes you work like a dog with no recognition and basically working for free. Horrible upper management money hungry brats.

Advice to Management

Recognize your good people, and realize that people aren't all replaceable. This company won't be around in the next 5 years because underpaying and disrespecting your employees will only work for so long. Your greed will ruin you.

8. Consultant

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Palm Beach Tan (Less than a year)

Pros

awful company made good friends

Cons

management sucks they need to hire older people

Advice to Management

worst manager i have ever had any manager who is late should be fired

9. Awful

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Free tanning,discounts on lotions and great friends

Cons

Everything! The company doesn't care about their employees. They never do or have. As a store manager you never can have your phone off even if it dies you'll get yelled at. I was on a 2 week vacation with my PTO. First I was guilted by the area manager trying not to let me take "oh your store is not performing, how could you leave with a low performing store?" I'm sorry but since our PTO expires at the end of the year I'm going! Then while was on this vacation I received non stop emails and calls. Like really your employees can have a life! Another issue is is my DM told us to do WHATEVER needed to keep high numbers so when I had my staff doing just that. The area manager flips out and fires me! Like are you serious I bent over backwards for this company. I worked at 4 other stores as a store manger covering shifts when I didn't have too that did not count for my 40 hrs for over 3 months. I had one employee I was working 14 he days op-Cl with. Absolutely no help and no breaks what kind of company does that to one of their best managers absolutely no help and no breaks what kind of company does that to one of their best managers. The only thing is company cares about is money and once you're on someones list you're done and replaced...

Advice to Management

Learned the value of your employees and treat them with respect maybe you won't have such a high turnover

10. Tanning Consultant

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Making friends with clients, feeling satisfied that your advice helped someone feel beautiful and gave them confidence.

Cons

Earlier this week, my assistant manager came to work two hours late and lied to me about why he was late, knowing that I had missed my school appointment and not apologizing one time or thanking me for staying and working. I had to miss an appointment with my school advisor, then later; the company fired me because I had to leave early to go to a funeral. I cannot believe I have been treated so terribly. I have never been so disrespected by any corporation in my entire life.

Advice to Management

Realize that the employees under you have their own goals in life. Respect others' time. Educate effective ways of suggested selling. Realize that clients come to you to to feel more confident and attractive and their happiness should be your goal instead of treating them like just another sale. Have ethics and integrity.

11. Great training, bad hours for employees

Former Employee - Palm Beach Tan Shift Leader in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Palm Beach Tan Shift Leader in Longview, TX

I worked at Palm Beach Tan part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the owners, a lot of good training material, fun atmosphere, free tanning, discounts on products

Cons

Late working hours, was not recognized for good sales - just called out for the poor ones

Advice to Management

Change up the hours a little bit

RSS Feed </> Embed