Palm Harbor Homes

Add Photos

Joe Stegmayer

Good product good money

Housing Consultant (Current Employee) South Houston, TX

Prosmoney is good houses are the nicest manufactured homes on the market

Consupper management doesn't care is everyone you talk to is a 500 credit score they just want numbers and it's your fault?

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to treat your best people who are making you rich

Not a good job if you need income

ProsThe training is good, although it's actually more of a brain washing

ConsVery long hours expected with maybe one day off per week. Days are 11 hours but only paid $300/wk salary. Commissions are very thin even tho they promise BIG earnings. Benefits are poor and is the most micro managed company I have ever been in. Upper management is not employee friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam building skills- stop brain washing

Too many promises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsHelping people find dream homes that exceed their expectations

ConsSalaries aren't great. Advancement opportunities promised for outstanding work, but ultimately realized it was just smoke and mirrors

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They are a great company to work for & are always pushing for Best Quality Mobile Homes For Sale In Texas

General Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThey have flexible hours
    They give you a chance for unlimited income
    They have a good benefits package
    They are big about promoting from within
     palmharborsouth . com is great

ConsThey are not yet in some states and we wood like to see them grow into other states and cities one day

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sticking to the idea of quality homes

It was ok

Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Corpus Christi, TX

ProsOpen door policy, benefits, small friendly staff with family feel

ConsLong hours, mandatory weekends, huge tax cuts from commissions. Averaged 45 hour work weeks

Advice to Senior ManagementPay sales people a higher base salary and fire them if they don't produce. The $300 week salary between commissions is not enough

They brainwash their cult members to believe riches are on the way. Insane expectations for little reward.

Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Seguin, TX

ProsPaid training, some travel required for training- enjoy (after this you are office-bound about 50 hours a week)

ConsOne and a half day off....Indefinitely. Average work week is 44 - 50 hours. Leave home before the sun is up and don't come home til the suns down. And your measly salary of $300 a week is supposed to float you in between commissions. Commissions are small and hard to get. You have to fight for them and the amount is always undetermined until about 4 days before you get paid. Ironically I was a top salesperson in the region many months. Won plaques, t-shirts and got congratulatory calls from corporate leaders very frequently. Luckily, I saw thru the B.S. pretty quick and got out of there. There are 2 kinds of mules where I come from. The kind you own and the kind you rent. The kind you own are the ones you take care of and the kind you rent are the ones you WORK TO DEATH. And I was never satisfied with the bottom line no matter what because I was making bankers and upper management a fortune. All while I was riding out $1200 a month income and could barely pay my car note half the time. Commissions can take many months and a great deal of them do. You don't get paid until that house is delivered. Also, I have never seen a commission over 1k on any of my sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using reverse psychology to underpaid and overworked salespeople. No, its not our own fault for not having enough in the gross profit margin. Most homes are not cash deals and are regulated by the banks and they cap us at what we can sell these homes for. Many times I have had a fat GP just to have some banker knock it back down to diddly squat. And PAY your good salespeople more. Not all of em. Just the ones you want to keep. And keep religion, prayer and Jesus out of work. It's inappropriate and believe it or not but in America we foster a right to all religions and you may run off good people with cramming your religion down everyone's throat. A great way to get sued too.

Terrible, like a cult.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Buda, TX

ProsTraining was excellent by Corporate DVD's - NOT local manager

ConsIf you don't sell, pay is bellow minimum wages. They don't know and don't want to learn how to sell to the Hispanic market. They treat the Hispanic market with a pronounced discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management?

They trained well, managed you with Fear Motivation and as if you made a half million dollars. Wouldn't recomend.

Sales (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsTheir training program is better than anyone elses in the industry. They do give you a VERY small salary where some companies don't even do that. You can get promoted pretty quickly but it doesn't last long and very low survival rate.

ConsBut your honeymoon only lasts 8 weeks before they really start coming down on you hard. They use military tactics by getting in your face, yelling, and bullying you in public and in front of your peers. Their expectations are way too high and set you up to fail. Most are too scared to try innovated tactics since too scared will get yelled at. They really just want puppets and not smart innovative leaders. The Executive Managers act as cult members and were only in positions due to their timing of when they got into business. They are actually horrible leaders and horrible at managing company P&L's which is why they went bankrupt. They play heavy favorites and are always demanding loyalty yet will slam the door in your face faster than they can complete that sentence. If you happen to get in at the right time, and right location. They also don't own their own bank (other than one that only does FHA) so the customer have to have 620 + credit scores which is VERY hard to come by in this industry. You get really tired of digging through a ton of dirt before you hit bronze (def not gold since company is so greedy and want a HUGE % to go to them when you do all the work). Then if you have VERY thick skin and put up with their B.S. and become GM at a great location, you can actually make pretty good money but store it in a bank the best you can cause it won't last long.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. You want to hire "Leaders" instead of "Managers" but the managers in that company are some of the worst leaders in the Free Market. Your work horses put in a ton of hours and hard work under your over extreme sales process and yet there are a ton more cons with the job than pros. You can only crack a whip at a work horse for so long before it will take off or turn against you. That's why the turnover in that company is much higher than the industry average. Don't take my word for it since the bankruptcy speaks for itself.

PPH had very poor management, especially at the regional level and up, they brow beat in field sales and managers.

General Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company had a good construction of homes, though over priced. Follow up on customer repairs was better than most, but the company did not want to improve.

ConsRegional level managers were quite poor, what you would think you'd find at a trailer sales operation. They rewarded the managers that were able to intimidate the most. There was little interest in real management processes that improved sales personnel. They did not offer a decent commission or salary, which brought in the least ethical sales teams. Regional management micro managed, which resulted in poor decisions that ultimately were explained to upper management as the reason to let the local managers go.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice now as their poor management led them into bankruptcy, it's interesting it happened only a year after the founder died. He must not had chosen management well either. Quality begins at the top!!!

Good Compensation-

Housing Consultant (Former Employee) Plant City, FL

ProsCompany builds very good module and mobile homes. Gold Key Service and installation is very good. Support staff at plant are hard working, conscientious and only want the best for the customer. If something goes wrong the company will stand behind the product and go the extra mile to help the sales person take care of the client. Performance incentives for excellent Customer Service keeps everyone sharp. Good place to learn the ropes on home layout, construction, finance, customer follow-up, sales training related to home sales and home construction.

ConsThe sales department outside the main manufacturing area was very poor. Turnover in a year approached triple digits in one year. This was due to management treatment, integrity, trustworthiness and follow through.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrity- Respect-Honesty-Follow Through-Help the sales area succeed don't use it to take your frustrations and personal problems out on. Have respect for the people who are working under you.

Worked for Palm Harbor Homes? Contribute to the Community!