Palmetto GBA

2.8

Bruce W. Hughes

Decent place to work

I worked at Palmetto GBA

Pros

Moderate flow for call volume

Cons

Always losing contracts causing a lot of downsizing

I love the job that they offer to their employees. You can grow in the company.

Current Employee - Data Prep Technician in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Data Prep Technician in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Palmetto GBA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love their flexible hours.

Cons

You have some people who are in authority who abuses their position and mistreat their employees.

I think they should take more advice from their employees to better their business because as we all know that they employees do the job on an every day basis.

I loved working at Palmetto GBA, it was a great experience.

I have been working at Palmetto GBA

Pros

The best reasons to work here are that you get a chance to help others in every way that you can.

Cons

I never found any challenges when working for Palmetto GBA.

Always listen to both sides of the story. Always appreciate your employees, make sure your employees know that you are there for them in every way can.

Excellent company with rewarding work

Current Employee - Java Programmer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Java Programmer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Palmetto GBA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Palmetto GBA is a subsidiary of BlueCross BlueShield of SC, so you get the benefits of a huge company, like HR, Training, Well-run facilities, etc. Salaries and benefits are competitive and there are ample opportunities for growth.

Cons

As a government contractor, much of the work is based on contract periods, which have to be re-competed periodically. This can be stressful if you're not used to the RFP & Contract award process. However, Palmetto GBA is really good at this and keeps lots of contracts in the pipeline.

Lots of pitfalls-Lots of Layoffs

Former Employee - Medicare Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Medicare Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Palmetto GBA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Local Ohio management was good. Work was challenging and interesting.

Cons

South Carolina management treated us as if all errors were the fault of the Ohio office. Constantly reminded by SC management that Ohio was too expensive. Had to watch coworkers be laid off frequently. Always held over our heads that we were expendable. Dealing with SC management was like taking a step back into time. They failed to keep up with the times.

Management needs to realize their office is not perfect and quit placing blame on the workers they don't have to look at each day. Until management starts taking ownership of their errors contracts are going to continue to be lost.

Terrible company for the long haul

Former Employee - Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Columbia, SC

I worked at Palmetto GBA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is a place to begin your career, because they are always hiring. It'll be the first line on your resume.

Cons

The reason for continual hiring is high turnover from dissatisfied/exploited employees. Be skeptical of a company where the only "long timers" have family ties to the city, and everyone else has been there for only a year or two. It's a miserable place to work. Lots of overtime for the unlucky employees who aren't friends with management. Poor work/life balance. Inept management throughout the company. Corrupt HR. Rampant cryonyism.

Recognize talent and merit, rather than protecting the status quo for its own sake.

Low stress, low pay, nice atmosphere, but subject to ups & downs of Federal government funding

Former Employee - QA Testing Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - QA Testing Analyst in Columbia, SC

I worked at Palmetto GBA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very positive, human centered atmosphere. Lots of training. Nice building. Lots of encouragement and rewards for improving healthy behaviours - gym, classes, online health web site.

Cons

Not much room for growth. A lot of low level customer service jobs in Palmetto GBA. So many people have worked in the Blue Cross Blue Shield of SC family of companies, that you can't get a job, because there's always a former contractor or employee out there with the exact experience they're looking for.

I know you're trying to diversify, but government funding is going to continue to decrease if the "small government" mindset is the overriding theme of the powerful people who control the US, ie, the conservative rich old white male job-cutting greedy selfish Republicans. The Democrats aren't much better, but they do tend to believe in grass roots vs. trickle down economics.

Programmer-unfriendly Environment

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Columbia, SC

I worked at Palmetto GBA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally nice coworkers.
    Moderate push in some technical areas to stay current.
    Moderate share of smart people to learn from.
    Being a large corporation, there are opportunities to move around to other projects and positions.
    Flexible work time.

Cons

If you are from a military background and are used to lists of rules and restrictions, the renowned military "efficiency", and being treated as a disposable number, then this might be the job for you.

If it is important to you to be able to access what you need on the internet to research issues, install tools on your development machine, have larger than 15 inch monitors, or otherwise request anything more than the minimum in regard to resources and to receive said resources in a timely manner, you might want to think twice before taking a job here. The bureaucracy here is thick and filters down to the small details of the job. It is not uncommon for developers to have to wait extended periods of time (think weeks or even months) to get necessary resources.

I am a senior java web developer who has worked in the industry (not Palmetto GBA) for almost 10 years. I have a pretty good feel for what is needed to do my job well and for what makes a good development shop. I feel sorry for the many good people who work for Palmetto GBA because the cards are stacked against them to succeed in their job.

Some of the managers are pleasant and helpful but some employ a detached, bullying approach.

Lastly, you may be able to negotiate for somewhat reasonable pay up-front, but be aware that at the time of this review, annual raises are no more than 2%.

stressful

Current Employee - Medical Review Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Medical Review Analyst in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Palmetto GBA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, great trainers, health benefits, gym, and good co workers

Cons

lay off because majority of the contracts are not renewed

management turn over is high

Very good.

Current Employee - PM/BSA in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - PM/BSA in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Palmetto GBA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The GPC is a fantastic facility with a cafe, dry cleaning, gym, massage therapy. Company offers good benefits and 401k match.

Cons

The pay ranges could be better.