Palomar Health
www.palomarhealth.org San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Palomar Health Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014
Palomar Health – Escondido – “Palomar Medical Center”

Michael H. Covert

Overall has been a great company to work for as my first health care employer!

Lift Coordinator (Current Employee)
Poway, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time for more than a year

ProsBefore being hired full time, I spent about 18 months as a student volunteer. The staff has always been very helpful and receptive towards me. The training was thorough and educational. Palomar Health has a great atmosphere!

ConsAt this point I do not see anything negative about this employer. (Most employers are experiencing challenges in todays economy. Palomar is no different..)

One intern's opinion

Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health as an intern for more than a year

ProsThe other employees seemed to enjoy their jobs, and most of them are really good at what they do.

ConsI did not appreciate the lack of support from superiors they were there to listen but never made any concrete changes in response to legitimate concerns. There was little communication from top down; and even after construction of the new hospital, there does not seem to be enough space for every department to have their own

Run away!

Patient Care (Former Employee)

I worked at Palomar Health full-time for less than a year

ProsWonderful staff! The only reason I got through the day

ConsPoor pay, no support form management, bad contract ( should have listened to my lawyer and not taken the job), + multiple lies and no transparancy from supervisor, untimely payment of salary, not getting promised equipment to do job in a timely manner, poor EMR, high turn over of staff, long hours, pressure to discharge patients who had " bad insurance", short staffed, few days between calls. The job I was offered does not resemble the actual job I encountered. I discussed this multiple times with supervisor and board members - who simply didn't care!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop laying off the people who are doing the work and start looking at laying off the bloated list of executives who just go to endless meetings and leisurely lunches all day long.
 Pay your employees on time.

Pay a fair wage with good benefits.

Work to retain good staff instead of having a revolving door of good staff that quit after seeing what is going on here, and you will save a lot of money in the long run.

Don't look for management support or appreciation.

Licensed Psychiatric Clinician (Former Employee)

I worked at Palomar Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere used to be pros a long time ago, but that stopped and it went 180 in a negative direction. Can't identify one pro currently.

ConsWhere would I start? Don't expect management to step up to stop discrimination, abuse, slander. Regardless of the truth, you will be blamed and penalized. Expectations are different for employees in the same department, depending on whether you are perceived as the "Golden Child" of the moment. The working conditions are brutal, the environment is unhealthy physically and mentally There is a huge deficit of available work space and equipment, making it difficult, if not impossible, to do your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school and get into a different field, preferably one that is very remote from working with others. Become culturally aware and stop being so blatantly racist and discriminating. Stop strong-arming employees to pledge donations because you created a huge shortfall by overspending and pocketing an enormous amount of taxpayer money earmarked for new constructions and improvement of services.

Final year of employment the organization was in financial chaos

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Palomar Health full-time

ProsKind co-workers and team spirit

ConsPoor upper management decision making led to financial distress

Realities of a RN

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI love my fellow RN's and CNA's. I wouldn't be able to endure if it weren't! For them.

ConsLack of resources or wasteful use of them. Managements inability to recognize when a technology or design implemented to help work flow does not work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the units back their secretary, tele tech, and cna's so that phone calls and call lights can be addressed in a timely manner. Nursing will not pick up a phone if they are in the middle of providing patient care or pulling medications. Make sure we have adequate supplies, I. E. angel gliders, wash cloths, green bed pads. Instead of firing people management needs to downsize. All committees should have their budgets frozen. The adaptive design committee works to find ways to improve workflow and improve patient experiences but it is ridiculous to fire an employee while paying someone from administration to audit a whiteboard that they redesigning and researching. Even if your patients have visual, literacy, or cognitive disorders that require nursing to put the info on paper at bedside nursing runs the risk of getting written up if its not filled out. Put you time and money in the areas that create the most revenue which is your bedside nursing care because meetings, luncheons, and committees don't pay the bills. A team is only as good as its leadership and a good leader provides their team with the necessary tools that allow them to attain their goal so listen to your staff. Mistakes are made but change can only occur if the necessity of change is acknowledged.

Excellent, forward-thinking health system.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPalomar Health operates a beautiful new hospital in west Escondido, plus Pomerado Hospital and other satellite locations around north county.

ConsThe health care district served by Palomar Health faces stiff competition from hospitals. This can sometimes mean that if census is down, hours get cut.

Don't speak up or try to improve the system in any way-or else!

R N (Current Employee)

I have been working at Palomar Health

Prosjob with a steady income but other than that and he nearly perfect climate of the San Diego area, I can't think of a single thing.

ConsThey try to save money in every aspect which obviously will affect patient care-and satisfaction or lack there of. But if patient satisfaction scores are below 90% the staff don't get a raise. The CEO on the other hand gets a huge bonus for saving the organization money!

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your computer charting system or expect staff frustration. Don't let the hospital become another "Sharp" hospital where the employees are there for the money only and don't care about the service they provide. I see it heading that way.

Abundant opportunities to contribute

ProsOpenness in discussion
Values clear
Expectations made known

ConsChange is constant. One must learn to adjust.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue rounding. It gives an important inside view.

I am always happy to go to work!

I have been working at Palomar Health

ProsThe patient is our number one priority in the O.R. and the my coworkers make everyday worth while.

ConsI believe that some of the supervising staff is a little excessive and that some are lacking general O.R. knowledge to be in a supervisor position.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure people are competent with the general areas of their job before hiring them. I believe that the care of the patient is the number one goal so praise those who do it well!! I love working for this company!

Worked for Palomar Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Palomar Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Palomar Health CEO Michael H. Covert. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Palomar Health employees.