Palomar Health Reviews

2.7
Robert A. Hemker

1. Great experience

I have been working at Palomar Health part-time

Pros

Nice facility high upgrade technology given customer service representitives including spacious patient and staff break room and stuff like that

Cons

What I didn't like about Palomar health was that it sometimes is overcrowded and our workload would be more than what we were supposed to be doing for one given shiftAdvice I would give would be open professional communication

Advice to Management

Advice I would give would be open professional communication that the book that I got to edit that and the info that she had to stop okay

2. Clerk

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Palomar Health as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Chief Compliance Officer helpful and a great mentor.

Cons

Rest of legal and compliance is clique-y.

3. Good place to work

I have been working at Palomar Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers a variety of settings

Cons

Does not have a strong a brand value as other hospital systems in San Diego county,

5. New CEO is Bob Hemker

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff trying to do their best for patients. New Palomar is like a hotel- amazing!

Cons

Old Palomar campus needs to be updated. Very old looking! Paint peeling, walls cracked.

Advice to Management

Restructure is not good! What happened to nursing??? Where is our nursing leader at the top? No more thoughts about Magnet? Instead of laying people off how about getting rid of all the new layers of EVPs and VPs!

6. Pleasant Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management treats staff fairly. Staff are friendly once they get to know you. Health System striving to be competitive in todays fought health care market.

Cons

Few opportunities to advance. There does not seem to be any interest in developing current staff into future leaders.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see the executives/ decision makers out with the people their decisions impact on a more frequent basis.

rn

Former Employee - RN in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - RN in Poway, CA

I worked at Palomar Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none, none, none, none, none

Cons

I have never worked in an institution where you were targeted because of your race.

Advice to Management

get new management

8. Can I give negative stars? Please, do yourself a favor and stay away!

I worked at Palomar Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Palomar Medical Center off Citracado. First let me say that this is a beautiful hospital. The rooms are all private and very large. The architect focused on letting in natural light at every angle so it is always bright and sunny inside the hospital which I think is great for the patients.

Cons

The organization itself is abysmal. Inefficiencies run rampant and there is absolutely no desire to make any changes. Never in my career have I worked for an organization where the workers actually said “we’ve always done it that way” which means that they’re not listening to any suggestions. I actually had someone take some ideas I had written down crumple it up and throw it at me in a joking passive aggressive move. Management is not visible and definitely has favorites. I never saw the CEO making any rounds with the staff. The one time I did see him was when television crews were around. He didn’t smile or act engaged until he was on camera. If you want to know what employees think of this organization just continue reading reviews. Or better yet, take a look at the patient satisfaction scores for this hospital. When I first arrived their patient satisfaction scores were well below the national average.
    One of the most egregious concerns I have with this facility is not just management but is the actual care of the patient received from the physicians. These were some of the most incompetent physicians I have seen. I would never have recommended a family member to receive care at this facility; in fact I purposely went elsewhere when I myself needed care.
    Also, when I left the organization was suffering some very serious financial concerns.

Advice to Management

Clean house starting with the CEO and working all the way down to supervisors. Stop promoting people because they have the most seniority - look for someone who is actually forward thinking and qualified for the position.

9. Bad employer to work for!

I worked at Palomar Health

Pros

The employees are really there to make a difference, in spite of the way they are treated by management. Sad.

Cons

Because the hospital is not making enough money since being built, there are drastic cuts being made and the employees are made to a coed added duties to make up for laid off employees.

Advice to Management

Truly value their employees, rather than be two faced and deceitful to save their own jobs.

10. Great

I have been working at Palomar Health

Pros

Good pay and bennies, generous PTO

Cons

No advancement and that's about it

11. The only hospital employer I've ever had

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A nearly brand new hospital, so the equipment works and the facility is well maintained. Its a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Since moving into the new hospital staff feel more anonomous, almost as if we are part of the equipment. Patient care staff are spread out and isolated with no central nursing stations, so professional comraderie and cohesiveness have suffered.

Advice to Management

Staff need to feel that you know your job is to support them in their endeavor to provide excellent patient care. In this arena, management works for staff, not vice-versa. Valued staff that take pride in their work = high patient satisfaction!

Palomar Health Photos