Palomar Health

Michael H. Covert

rn

Former Employee - RN in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - RN in Poway, CA

I worked at Palomar Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

none, none, none, none, none

Cons

I have never worked in an institution where you were targeted because of your race.

get new management

Can I give negative stars? Please, do yourself a favor and stay away!

I worked at Palomar Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for Palomar Medical Center off Citracado. First let me say that this is a beautiful hospital. The rooms are all private and very large. The architect focused on letting in natural light at every angle so it is always bright and sunny inside the hospital which I think is great for the patients.

Cons

The organization itself is abysmal. Inefficiencies run rampant and there is absolutely no desire to make any changes. Never in my career have I worked for an organization where the workers actually said “we’ve always done it that way” which means that they’re not listening to any suggestions. I actually had someone take some ideas I had written down crumple it up and throw it at me in a joking passive aggressive move. Management is not visible and definitely has favorites. I never saw the CEO making any rounds with the staff. The one time I did see him was when television crews were around. He didn’t smile or act engaged until he was on camera. If you want to know what employees think of this organization just continue reading reviews. Or better yet, take a look at the patient satisfaction scores for this hospital. When I first arrived their patient satisfaction scores were well below the national average.
    One of the most egregious concerns I have with this facility is not just management but is the actual care of the patient received from the physicians. These were some of the most incompetent physicians I have seen. I would never have recommended a family member to receive care at this facility; in fact I purposely went elsewhere when I myself needed care.
    Also, when I left the organization was suffering some very serious financial concerns.

Clean house starting with the CEO and working all the way down to supervisors. Stop promoting people because they have the most seniority - look for someone who is actually forward thinking and qualified for the position.

Bad employer to work for!

I worked at Palomar Health

Pros

The employees are really there to make a difference, in spite of the way they are treated by management. Sad.

Cons

Because the hospital is not making enough money since being built, there are drastic cuts being made and the employees are made to a coed added duties to make up for laid off employees.

Truly value their employees, rather than be two faced and deceitful to save their own jobs.

Pleasant Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management treats staff fairly. Staff are friendly once they get to know you. Health System striving to be competitive in todays fought health care market.

Cons

Few opportunities to advance. There does not seem to be any interest in developing current staff into future leaders.

It would be nice to see the executives/ decision makers out with the people their decisions impact on a more frequent basis.

Great

I have been working at Palomar Health

Pros

Good pay and bennies, generous PTO

Cons

No advancement and that's about it

The only hospital employer I've ever had

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A nearly brand new hospital, so the equipment works and the facility is well maintained. Its a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Since moving into the new hospital staff feel more anonomous, almost as if we are part of the equipment. Patient care staff are spread out and isolated with no central nursing stations, so professional comraderie and cohesiveness have suffered.

Staff need to feel that you know your job is to support them in their endeavor to provide excellent patient care. In this arena, management works for staff, not vice-versa. Valued staff that take pride in their work = high patient satisfaction!

Disturbing behavior

I worked at Palomar Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great facility at the new hospital location. This is a well thought out plan with great natural light features as well as awesome aesthetics.

Cons

Patient care is beginning to suffer due to cut backs in critical areas. The organization orchestrated some lay offs to help with a struggling financial situation, but the cuts came at the expense of patient care instead of support or ancillary areas. There has been a high turnover as of late in middle management secondary to a disconnect between upper management and operational realities.

Try to avoid the flavor of the month with you initiatives and stay focused on realistic and incremental improvements in quality, safety, and patient satisfaction. You have an unrealistic vision of what your current operational efficiencies should be when compared to community standards. I believe there needs to be a change in leadership at the higher levels to right the ship. Current leadership has created an extreme cost burden on the system with the new hospital and does not have a clear vision on how to steer the ship moving forward.

Launched my RN career. Loved the people.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Escondido, CA

I worked at Palomar Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are amazing. Organization is innovative and embrace technology.

Cons

Difficult to advance or get promotions. More about who you know rather than what you know.

One intern's opinion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The other employees seemed to enjoy their jobs, and most of them are really good at what they do.

Cons

I did not appreciate the lack of support from superiors they were there to listen but never made any concrete changes in response to legitimate concerns. There was little communication from top down; and even after construction of the new hospital, there does not seem to be enough space for every department to have their own

Run away!

Former Employee - Patient Care
    Former Employee - Patient Care

I worked at Palomar Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful staff! The only reason I got through the day

Cons

Poor pay, no support form management, bad contract ( should have listened to my lawyer and not taken the job), + multiple lies and no transparancy from supervisor, untimely payment of salary, not getting promised equipment to do job in a timely manner, poor EMR, high turn over of staff, long hours, pressure to discharge patients who had " bad insurance", short staffed, few days between calls. The job I was offered does not resemble the actual job I encountered. I discussed this multiple times with supervisor and board members - who simply didn't care!

Stop laying off the people who are doing the work and start looking at laying off the bloated list of executives who just go to endless meetings and leisurely lunches all day long.
     Pay your employees on time.

Pay a fair wage with good benefits.

Work to retain good staff instead of having a revolving door of good staff that quit after seeing what is going on here, and you will save a lot of money in the long run.

Palomar Health Photos