Pampered Chef

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

Marla C. Gottschalk

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule and Unlimited Earnings potential are the reasons I worked as an independent consultant (in 6 reviews)

• I also liked the benefits of trips and free products (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some truly TOXIC employees in senior management (in 4 reviews)

• Slow decision making and long hiring cycles are crippling (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Independent Consultant  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the products and being able to work for myself. I love the leadership and innovative products from the home office and the fact that they stand for quality. I love that I can set my own hours and work as much or as little as I want depending on how much I want to earn.

Cons

It can be hard to find new contacts, especially since we have moved around quite a bit.

Downhill go away if possible

Current Employee - Software Architecture/Development/Lead  in  Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Software Architecture/Development/Lead in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All the common ones that most companies provide.
    Work from home sometimes.

Cons

-The IT has no clue what is going on, they need to be told always.
    -director level positions likes to bully their subordinates for action.
    -Constant fighting on director level positions.
    -HR is mediocre are benefits removed to cut losses.
    - 2 IT development groups are not flawlessly working.

- A lot of work needed to be done on the management level. YOu need to innovate to be competitive.

Decades of fun

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been with this company for more than twenty-one years, which pretty much says it all. I started because of the flexible schedule when my children were young, and stayed...well, for a lot of additional reasons! The income opportunity is excellent, the company's products are extremely well-respected, and the friends I've made - hosts, guests and consultants on our team - are truly the best part.

Cons

Working at home is wonderful - but you have to be self-motivated! In the past, there was some dislocation between the the field and the home office, but recent changes seem to have eliminated that. For those without direct sales experience, it's important to remember that the hours are flexible, but NOT optional.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very rewarding

Current Employee - Director/Team Leader  in  Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Director/Team Leader in Billings, MT

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

work own hrs. as much or little as you wnt

Cons

not much up-line support on my particular team

coming from small rural areas it cost us twice as much to go to seminars and conventions not only are flights more but in order to participate we usually have to come a day early and stay a day longer as there are no direct flights from our areas

Work hard and get nothing accomplished.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free product???? (figured I should list one)

Cons

Very reactive company. Never planning, always reacting resulting in communications lacking design, direction and consistency. Management turnover is horrendous. 7 bosses in 7 months? Was asked to write up an 8 month pregnant woman for breathing heavy in a meeting. They considered her sighing and said she was unprofessional. I refused.

Hire some senior management with a clue. C-Level employees need to agree on a strategy and message and communicate that to the managers, not hash it out in 17 meetings a week.

distributon center is a mess

Former Employee - Carton Creation  in  Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Carton Creation in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

after the rhowling rd office moved to the pamperd ln building the people became funny in ways of control . I found out over time in my short stay the ways they worked. it was about people not caring of the business and having fun with there titles ,to show there titles were more powerful then you, instead of looking out for the company and the companys future. the head of security is a big minipulater making the security is an asset but really Is not so important.

Cons

they need to be shipped to the other side of the world away from the greatest country in the world. there losers

management is not even funny its like being in the twilight zone of a way of being, that really couldn't be possible in such a big successful company.

Too much damage in the last 5 years

Current Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location is good, parking is excellent. The products are good but hard to create differentiation.

Cons

Now with a new CEO there is hope. Not sure going back to Founder is the answer. MLM has changed so much in the last 5 years. Need a new product strategy. Please stop saying a new color is a new product. Need to get out of the kitchen, more like The Pampered Home. Need to differentiate itself. IT has always been a disaster. IT has been a real disappointment, bad hires at the top. Like the title says too much damage has been done.

Revamp the positioning. Make it The Pampered Home, hire senior level MLM people.

A Thing of the Past?

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

A lot of great, very dedicated, people to work with. The products are top notch and Human Resources has recently put quite a bit of effort into moving TPC into the current century. Summer hours, casual dress and self-improvement training are just some of the new programs.

Cons

Revenues have dropped by 50% over the last 8 years. Senior management is very hands on, worried more about today than the future. Their organizations don't collaborate and it doesn't feel like everyone is pushing the ball in the same direction. A new CDO (Chief Digital Officer) position was recently announced because the CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) and the CIO (Chief Information Officer) can't get on the same page.

For the size of the company, ~500 employees, they act like a company of 5000. Slow decision making and long hiring cycles are crippling. Make a decision and move on it. There are way to many approvals required to do anything.

The current business model of "Party Plan" is not working as it does not appeal to younger consumers. Until there are fundamental changes in management and the business model, revenue will continue to wane.

Count on your managers to get the job done. There is no need to be in every meeting, managing every single action of the organization. Micro-management only stifles creativity and growth and drives the talent away. The company can be saved if you are agile and adopt some of the business strategies of the current century. Getting "back to the table" will only appeal to the people you are already selling to.

Holds on to its past and refuses to move forward to the future

Former Employee - Call Center  in  Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Call Center in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Products that are given to the employees are the best benefit. Field Consultants are some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Cons

Call Center Supervisors are more concerned about getting things their way than moving forward. Supervisors are afraid of their call center agents.

Move forward - stop saying we can not do this because we have never done this in the past.

New actions are needed to produce change

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

CEO resigning was a positive step. Return of founder and Berkshire-support gives promise.
    Good benefits.
    Freedom on some teams. A few good leaders that make a difference
    New HR leader making small steps on culture change. Finally established Summer Hours and casual work attire.

Cons

The current landscape is so embroiled in its internal problems that the top management does not have time or energy to engage in strategic management. The lack of coherence and control in organizational processes means that most of the time is spent on tackling problems rather than preempting problems or solving problems.

You have two choices:
    1. Work yourself to death by trying to work around those that are not held accountable for their jobs and the lack of strategic/process management.
    2. Put up with the poor performance, keep your head down to become a drone, and kiss professional development (and respect for your industry) goodbye.

ROI: it's not measured. KPI: what's that? Timelines: Ignored. Marketing: a mystery. Strategy and planning: that's crazy talk. Managing projects: lack of consideration for magnitude and complexities. Digital technology: disruptive.

Confront reality: Chaos and behind-the-times is making the ship sink. Do something differently. There simply is no time to waste waiting for things to improve. If you don't have the skills for structural transformation, hire a Change Management firm instead of augmenting staff to handle effects of the poor planning and reactive management.

Stop accepting the dysfunction ("it's the culture here") and relying on the few strong people to handle the "smart stuff". Create a culture of accountability by actually holding people accountable to take charge of their jobs. Provide clear direction and nurture it until they get it. Listen to the ones that are good at their jobs...and take action steps to help the ones that aren't. Change the playing field to an upward momentum by mandating digital strategy training in their realm: technologies, aptitudes, marketing, and trends.

Actually hire people who have the skill to bring the company to current times instead of re-hiring people (or promoting) because "they know the TPC way".

Give a a sound strategic vision a try and look at some numbers--not reactive programs or following what the field says.Your disruptive initiatives could actually be powerful if you got ahead of it! Quit making simple complicated.

Please, stop letting non-tech leaders make tech decisions-- bumbling to embrace technology doesn't mean they know what they are doing. They're causing more harm than good and revenue sits on the table instead of in pockets. Put people in place who have been trained to do this.

Worked for Pampered Chef? Contribute to the Community!