Pampered Chef

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014
3.4

Marla C. Gottschalk

Pros
  • I also liked the benefits of trips and free products (in 9 reviews)

• For people who are self motivated, this company offers an amazing opportunity to earn great money while working a flexible schedule (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be hard to find new contacts, especially since we have moved around quite a bit (in 3 reviews)

• There are some truly TOXIC employees in senior management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

New actions are needed to produce change

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

CEO resigning was a positive step. Return of founder and Berkshire-support gives promise.
    Good benefits.
    Freedom on some teams. A few good leaders that make a difference
    New HR leader making small steps on culture change. Finally established Summer Hours and casual work attire.

Cons

The current landscape is so embroiled in its internal problems that the top management does not have time or energy to engage in strategic management. The lack of coherence and control in organizational processes means that most of the time is spent on tackling problems rather than preempting problems or solving problems.

You have two choices:
    1. Work yourself to death by trying to work around those that are not held accountable for their jobs and the lack of strategic/process management.
    2. Put up with the poor performance, keep your head down to become a drone, and kiss professional development (and respect for your industry) goodbye.

ROI: it's not measured. KPI: what's that? Timelines: Ignored. Marketing: a mystery. Strategy and planning: that's crazy talk. Managing projects: lack of consideration for magnitude and complexities. Digital technology: disruptive.

Confront reality: Chaos and behind-the-times is making the ship sink. Do something differently. There simply is no time to waste waiting for things to improve. If you don't have the skills for structural transformation, hire a Change Management firm instead of augmenting staff to handle effects of the poor planning and reactive management.

Stop accepting the dysfunction ("it's the culture here") and relying on the few strong people to handle the "smart stuff". Create a culture of accountability by actually holding people accountable to take charge of their jobs. Provide clear direction and nurture it until they get it. Listen to the ones that are good at their jobs...and take action steps to help the ones that aren't. Change the playing field to an upward momentum by mandating digital strategy training in their realm: technologies, aptitudes, marketing, and trends.

Actually hire people who have the skill to bring the company to current times instead of re-hiring people (or promoting) because "they know the TPC way".

Give a a sound strategic vision a try and look at some numbers--not reactive programs or following what the field says.Your disruptive initiatives could actually be powerful if you got ahead of it! Quit making simple complicated.

Please, stop letting non-tech leaders make tech decisions-- bumbling to embrace technology doesn't mean they know what they are doing. They're causing more harm than good and revenue sits on the table instead of in pockets. Put people in place who have been trained to do this.

Good Company to work for if you want flexibility.

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time

Pros

Schedule flexibility, good training, fun

Cons

Have to be good at talking to people

It was a family ... WAS!

Former Employee - Marketing Department
    Former Employee - Marketing Department

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had worked here for almost 14 years. When Doris ran the company, business was booming and the company itself was a family. Everything went downhill when she sold to Birkshire. The environment went corporate, it lost the family. I loved working there, you were given a sense of purpose. Within my department, I was able to climb the ladder so-to-say and promote twice to supervisor. Sure, there was talk about bad sales, recruiting is down, blah blah blah. It was always like that, the environment was reactionary, not pro-active. We were always trying to fix things.

Cons

Come Feb. 18 everything went downhill fast. I was called into my directors office and told I was being layed-off. Talk about a shock to the system!! What the hell were they thinking. My department was already a sinking ship, and they let ME go? Completely puzzling. After a few months have gone by, I'm SO happy I'm not there anymore. I've heard from co-workers that are still there that its horrible and rediculous. They layed-off so many people, that nobody is there to do the jobs. Frightening. The environment was TOXIC and beyond stressful. Sr. Management have their heads up their collective you-know-whats. They are completely clueless as to what consumers want/need. Thankfully our CEO "quit" a few months ago, that was a BIG step in the right direction. Some more need to do the same if the Chef wants to be brought back to life.

Stop letting go of the co-workers who actually do their jobs. Instead look at Managenet, Sr. Management and Executives. Or, the one's in the window offices that make the decissions. They're making bad ones. The company used to be great ... that needs to come back.

18th Century Thinking in a 21st Century World

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

In the year and a half I've been working here, there have been little progression forward. I guess some movement is better than no movement. For the most part the people are friendly.

Cons

No offense to the more "senior" staff but they seem to have a very very limited knowledge, expertise and understanding of technology and how it could move a company forward. You can tell these women get quick technology tutorials from their grandchildren. So when they are making decisions that would provide a quicker, easier, more efficient ease to assist the consultants, these decision makers are making wrong decisions. Someone once referenced that we as a company, have a tendency to throw the whole pot of spaghetti, water and all, at the wall waiting to see what happens. The outcome may be obvious to some, but still a surprise to others.

The company has an "abusive spouse" mentality/culture.
    Those who are at the bottom of the food chain are intimidated to collaborate or converse with those of senior positions. This culture was promoted by the former CEO.
    Since the firing of the CEO, there was a false sense of hope that the tides were were turning in a better direction. Then months later, there was a massive layoff. I guess to calm the fears of those that remained, Doris made a speech that the company had to downsize to function at the size of what the company really was. Hindsight 20/20, we now realize that they just wanted those remaining to do the job of 3 people, as prior to the layoffs there was a resource deficiency.

There is such a breakdown of communication within teams, across departments, and throughout the company as a whole. Not sure how Doris and Berkshire cannot see the how there is a massive breakdown within the company. Apparently, they only communicated with upper management "to get insight" of what's going on in the downline. HUGE mistake! Majority of the problems stem from upper management. Those within upper management will & have said what's need to be heard in order to ensure their continued status. I guess every man for themselves.

I must say, I am looking forward to "greener pastures" elsewhere once my contract comes to a close.

Be respectful of those who are in the "trenches" actually doing the work. And hold those accountable for their mistakes, lack of work/dedication, and insubordination.
    As upper management, you guys should take the time to walk around and be more engaged as opposed to sitting in the "corner offices" with no real concept of what's really going on.

Independent Advanced Director Review

Current Employee - Advanced Director
    Current Employee - Advanced Director

I have been working at Pampered Chef as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an independent consultant, I have never worked with a company that is more supportive of it's field staff. In addition to providing excellent products with rare return or problem issues, customer service staff and field leaders are attentive, learned and provide valuable feedback on issues and ideas for training, selling and expanding individual businesses. Consultants are handsomely rewarded for efforts and recognized for achievements. So glad I found this company 17 years ago!

Cons

Conservative company, so therefore sometimes a bit behind the eight ball in technology and some internal workings, as well as public relations efforts and mass marketing.

This is such a quality company with fabulous products. The Pampered Chef needs to look seriously at cultivating the food industry media, bloggers and media personalities to get products out there being discussed for the masses. That will drive much needed website activity and increase overall business leads in the field.

Great home based sales business

I worked at Pampered Chef

Pros

I liked all the help available to try and succeed. I also liked the benefits of trips and free products.

Cons

If you are not pushy or have a sales background it is hard to book shows.

In Information Technology Department, you either love it or you hate it.

Current Employee - Analyst in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Progressive management adopting Agile, new systems are better in marketplace than competition, communication from Directors down and up seems pretty good, if you have a good idea people want to hear about it and make it happen. People talking positive about technology.

Cons

Lot of sour grapes on the floor. Old timers stay linked to the past where the systems were absolutely awful and complain about today. Lots of change happening on the floor over the last 6 months and some people don't like change. Oracle team decimated by failed project and complain. Very few in the business know much about the business. Rumor is company profits down, no bonus of any kind, and raise this year looks grim. Overall morale pretty low.

I have been at TPC for a little while and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. The last 6 months were significantly better than previous 6. We need to figure out how to get more sales in the building. Whatever we do as a company, we need to focus on that.

Pampered Chef allowed me good great freedom and many perks while also allowing me to be home with my growing family.

Current Employee - Director in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom, Great compensation for hours worked. For people who are self motivated, this company offers an amazing opportunity to earn great money while working a flexible schedule. The home office is very innovative and at the forefront of most technology. They offer excellent training through both live company events and on demand virtual training.

Cons

Success requires being available to customers and consultants at all different times, primarily in the evening.

Big layoffs 2nd year in a row - Bleak future

Former Employee - Buyer in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company had a good reputation and offers discontinued products at a discounted rate.

Cons

For 7 years I walked the hallways feeling proud of working there. They promoted "core values" and "coworker appreciation". Overall it gave a sense of comfort for being there. There were even posters of a hotline to help people with emotional problems. What about losing your job?
    Pampered Chef is just another ugly version of what corporate America has become today.
    After the CEO "quit" earlier this year, it should have been an indication. Yesterday morning I experienced the most degrading 10mins of the 7yrs that I was there. The manager called me and said "Can you come into the conference room for a sec?". She was in there with a "HR rep". Soon after I sat down she read what she called a "new policy" off a sheet of paper. "Due to the sales not being....terminated". I thought "I just lost my job, what will I do about the insurance for my 3 kids". Then she asked me if there was anything I needed from my desk besides my phone, purse and jacket. I asked "I can't go back to my desk?" She said "no". So while she grabbed my belongings, the HR guy gave me the "package" and walked me out.
    This was the 2nd years this happened. I was not one to go last year. I guess it would not surprise me if I come across a headline in the near future "Pampered Chef closes its doors".

Layoff are necessary and need to happen, but need not be so degrading

Can't go wrong!

I have been working at Pampered Chef

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

None that I can think of.