Pampered Chef

Profile Unclaimed

18th Century Thinking in a 21st Century World

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Addison, IL
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

In the year and a half I've been working here, there have been little progression forward. I guess some movement is better than no movement. For the most part the people are friendly.

Cons

No offense to the more "senior" staff but they seem to have a very very limited knowledge, expertise and understanding of technology and how it could move a company forward. You can tell these women get quick technology tutorials from their grandchildren. So when they are making decisions that would provide a quicker, easier, more efficient ease to assist the consultants, these decision makers are making wrong decisions. Someone once referenced that we as a company, have a tendency to throw the whole pot of spaghetti, water and all, at the wall waiting to see what happens. The outcome may be obvious to some, but still a surprise to others.

The company has an "abusive spouse" mentality/culture.
    Those who are at the bottom of the food chain are intimidated to collaborate or converse with those of senior positions. This culture was promoted by the former CEO.
    Since the firing of the CEO, there was a false sense of hope that the tides were were turning in a better direction. Then months later, there was a massive layoff. I guess to calm the fears of those that remained, Doris made a speech that the company had to downsize to function at the size of what the company really was. Hindsight 20/20, we now realize that they just wanted those remaining to do the job of 3 people, as prior to the layoffs there was a resource deficiency.

There is such a breakdown of communication within teams, across departments, and throughout the company as a whole. Not sure how Doris and Berkshire cannot see the how there is a massive breakdown within the company. Apparently, they only communicated with upper management "to get insight" of what's going on in the downline. HUGE mistake! Majority of the problems stem from upper management. Those within upper management will & have said what's need to be heard in order to ensure their continued status. I guess every man for themselves.

I must say, I am looking forward to "greener pastures" elsewhere once my contract comes to a close.

Be respectful of those who are in the "trenches" actually doing the work. And hold those accountable for their mistakes, lack of work/dedication, and insubordination.
    As upper management, you guys should take the time to walk around and be more engaged as opposed to sitting in the "corner offices" with no real concept of what's really going on.

It was a family ... WAS!

Former Employee - Marketing Department
    Former Employee - Marketing Department

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had worked here for almost 14 years. When Doris ran the company, business was booming and the company itself was a family. Everything went downhill when she sold to Birkshire. The environment went corporate, it lost the family. I loved working there, you were given a sense of purpose. Within my department, I was able to climb the ladder so-to-say and promote twice to supervisor. Sure, there was talk about bad sales, recruiting is down, blah blah blah. It was always like that, the environment was reactionary, not pro-active. We were always trying to fix things.

Cons

Come Feb. 18 everything went downhill fast. I was called into my directors office and told I was being layed-off. Talk about a shock to the system!! What the hell were they thinking. My department was already a sinking ship, and they let ME go? Completely puzzling. After a few months have gone by, I'm SO happy I'm not there anymore. I've heard from co-workers that are still there that its horrible and rediculous. They layed-off so many people, that nobody is there to do the jobs. Frightening. The environment was TOXIC and beyond stressful. Sr. Management have their heads up their collective you-know-whats. They are completely clueless as to what consumers want/need. Thankfully our CEO "quit" a few months ago, that was a BIG step in the right direction. Some more need to do the same if the Chef wants to be brought back to life.

Stop letting go of the co-workers who actually do their jobs. Instead look at Managenet, Sr. Management and Executives. Or, the one's in the window offices that make the decissions. They're making bad ones. The company used to be great ... that needs to come back.

Independent Advanced Director Review

Current Contractor - Advanced Director
    Current Contractor - Advanced Director

I have been working at Pampered Chef as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an independent consultant, I have never worked with a company that is more supportive of it's field staff. In addition to providing excellent products with rare return or problem issues, customer service staff and field leaders are attentive, learned and provide valuable feedback on issues and ideas for training, selling and expanding individual businesses. Consultants are handsomely rewarded for efforts and recognized for achievements. So glad I found this company 17 years ago!

Cons

Conservative company, so therefore sometimes a bit behind the eight ball in technology and some internal workings, as well as public relations efforts and mass marketing.

This is such a quality company with fabulous products. The Pampered Chef needs to look seriously at cultivating the food industry media, bloggers and media personalities to get products out there being discussed for the masses. That will drive much needed website activity and increase overall business leads in the field.

Great home based sales business

I worked at Pampered Chef

Pros

I liked all the help available to try and succeed. I also liked the benefits of trips and free products.

Cons

If you are not pushy or have a sales background it is hard to book shows.

In Information Technology Department, you either love it or you hate it.

Current Employee - Analyst in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Progressive management adopting Agile, new systems are better in marketplace than competition, communication from Directors down and up seems pretty good, if you have a good idea people want to hear about it and make it happen. People talking positive about technology.

Cons

Lot of sour grapes on the floor. Old timers stay linked to the past where the systems were absolutely awful and complain about today. Lots of change happening on the floor over the last 6 months and some people don't like change. Oracle team decimated by failed project and complain. Very few in the business know much about the business. Rumor is company profits down, no bonus of any kind, and raise this year looks grim. Overall morale pretty low.

I have been at TPC for a little while and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. The last 6 months were significantly better than previous 6. We need to figure out how to get more sales in the building. Whatever we do as a company, we need to focus on that.

Big layoffs 2nd year in a row - Bleak future

Former Employee - Buyer in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company had a good reputation and offers discontinued products at a discounted rate.

Cons

For 7 years I walked the hallways feeling proud of working there. They promoted "core values" and "coworker appreciation". Overall it gave a sense of comfort for being there. There were even posters of a hotline to help people with emotional problems. What about losing your job?
    Pampered Chef is just another ugly version of what corporate America has become today.
    After the CEO "quit" earlier this year, it should have been an indication. Yesterday morning I experienced the most degrading 10mins of the 7yrs that I was there. The manager called me and said "Can you come into the conference room for a sec?". She was in there with a "HR rep". Soon after I sat down she read what she called a "new policy" off a sheet of paper. "Due to the sales not being....terminated". I thought "I just lost my job, what will I do about the insurance for my 3 kids". Then she asked me if there was anything I needed from my desk besides my phone, purse and jacket. I asked "I can't go back to my desk?" She said "no". So while she grabbed my belongings, the HR guy gave me the "package" and walked me out.
    This was the 2nd years this happened. I was not one to go last year. I guess it would not surprise me if I come across a headline in the near future "Pampered Chef closes its doors".

Layoff are necessary and need to happen, but need not be so degrading

Pampered Chef allowed me good great freedom and many perks while also allowing me to be home with my growing family.

Current Employee - Director in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom, Great compensation for hours worked. For people who are self motivated, this company offers an amazing opportunity to earn great money while working a flexible schedule. The home office is very innovative and at the forefront of most technology. They offer excellent training through both live company events and on demand virtual training.

Cons

Success requires being available to customers and consultants at all different times, primarily in the evening.

Can't go wrong!

I have been working at Pampered Chef

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Information Technology Department getting better. Probably time to join.

Current Contractor - Web Developer in Addison, IL
    Current Contractor - Web Developer in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Web & Mobile finally, FINALLY, there. Technologies for tech folks are spot on trend and the long 60+ hour work weeks are all but a distant memory. Leadership is not as bad as some make out to be.

Cons

I am a consultant who works on the Web project and can tell you most of the issues are are not in management in IT, they lie squarely in scope management and other parts of the business. IT Directors seem handcuffed many times to ever changing requirements. Jury still out on new CIO. She is too new to have contributed to any noticeable change yet.

Web Team making significant progress over the last few months primarily due to a renewed focus on quality and process and a de-scoping of the ridiculous initiatives set forth by an ex-CIO. Whatever has happened in the closed doors in the Executive offices since seems to have made a positive impact on the work. Unfortunately, the ERP project cancelled or postponed (?) and quite a few disgruntled Oracle people left or are still here.

I need to find another job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has competitive salaries and good benefits

Cons

Some departments are causing lots of damage to the company and Senior Management has been fooled by the heads of these departments for a long time and very leniant to do something about it. The IT Dept is awful (as many reviews here can document) and the Forecast Management is perhaps even worse

Get rid of some managers - if 90% current and former employees are saying these people are bad.....they cannot be good