Pampered Chef Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

3.3

Marla C. Gottschalk

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule and Unlimited Earnings potential are the reasons I worked as an independent consultant (in 6 reviews)

• I also liked the benefits of trips and free products (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some truly TOXIC employees in senior management (in 4 reviews)

• Slow decision making and long hiring cycles are crippling (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Pampered Chef is a consultant based business

Current Employee - Independent Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time for more than a year

Pros

self employed, buy own supplies, make own hours, make as much money as one would like,
    as much work as one can do is possible to make money

Cons

have to keep very, very accurate records for tax purposes, miles, supplies, etc.
    have to buy own supplies from the company to use to place orders and give to
    clients for order placing

don't keep changing the color only of the products from catalog to catalog, no one is fooled into thinking that this is a different product and don't advertise it as such

A terrible place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was close to my house when I started but I moved so not as good as before but for most people that is one thing that keeps them there. Time off is good but they use that to keep salaries low and you work so much evens out

Cons

Was hired to work on an upgrade project. Project was rolled out by the soon to be ex CIO. Who was both incompetent and a jerk. We had to back out the upgrade and start over again. A demoralizing experience after wasting so many hours on it. But we were told we would do it over and do it right. So we started again. And last week we were told that it was going to be pushed back. I know there will be layoffs because I have a friend in HR. But management has denied it. Project was cancelled because of declining revenue. I've bought Chef products but only because I have an employee discount otherwise not worth it. So we have overpriced product that is not selling so they will have to cut. Morale is terrible again, I go by peoples desks and they are all on DICE, Monster, Career Builder.

So I'm looking as well Mostly because Its easier to find a job when you have one

Telling the truth would be a start.

A great learning experience that went horribly wrong...

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

The company has developed a good name for itself and is a strong, almost iconic brand.

Cons

The company has fallen way behind the times with it's infrastructure, especially in the IT department. This has been horrible for business. The lack of structure has hurt sales and thus forced the company to make cuts which in turn have made it an unpleasant place to work overall.They are NOT a progressive company and still posess a very horizontal management style. Managers micro-manage HORRIBLY there and people's expertise for which they were hired are not trusted or taken into consideration in decision making. Everyone fears upper management and departments who should be cross-pollinating more DO NOT. There is little to no growth there. What was once a powerhouse direct-selling company is now a sinking ship that I'm glad I jumped from

Why bother...they don't listen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Perfect for self starters!

I worked at Pampered Chef part-time

Pros

Flexibility, rewards, products, fun, advancement

Cons

Work for yourself, getting a customer base,

Great support and Training!!

Current Employee - Independent Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pampered Chef part-time for more than a year

Pros

Make your own schedule, work for yourself, travel

Cons

You need to be self motivated

New changes are working for the company

Great benefits and easy to sell!

Current Employee - Independent Consultant  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pampered Chef for more than a year

Pros

Quality products that sell themselves
    New offerings in the Fall and Spring
    Great warrantees
    Online and personal training
    Fair commission structure
    Technical and Product support available
    Personalized website option
    Be your own boss
    Flexible schedule
    Will make the income you desire if you work it
    Can earn vacations and other prizes

Cons

Direct Sales in current economy can be tricky
    Need to be comfortable in the kitchen

Senior leadership revolving door...staff is tired, overworked and stressed out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

Genuinely nice people to work with at the staff levels - many of whom have been there 10-plus years and are seriously invested in the success of the company and care deeply about the consultants.

Decent products, if not terribly innovative anymore. Product quality is a major emphasis for the organization.

Cons

Senior leadership has been a revolving door: 2 HR VPs, 3 Mktg VPs, 2 Legal VPs, 2 CIOs (one of whom was TOXIC in the extreme). The organization too often rewards crisis management at the expense of crisis averting tactics, such as simple planning. Decision making is all too often based on the emotions of one or two members of leadership.

Many key personnel are looking for jobs outside the organization due to unrealistic expectations, lack of priority, poor planning and general unprofessional and disrespectful behavior by middle- and senior-level management.

Product line needs some attention - becoming lackluster and bland.

Look deeper. What is being presented as 'fact' is not always an entirely factual representation of reality. Not getting the results you want from your employees? Perhaps you are not rewarding the right behaviors...

An interesting experience

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

I got to work with some highly talented people in IT. Most of the good people left or were leaving during my tenure, but some stuck around.

Cons

We had very tight timelines without planning. Every day there was an emergency, sometimes impacting just a few people (out of hundreds of thousands). Traction was very hard to gain and management was not very good at shielding the heat from up top.

Invest in your people, take the time to plan and stick to it. Be proactive and less reactive.

Terrible Web Development team, quite a few arrogant Consultants-- especially Directors and above.

Current Employee - Tier II Technical Support Specialist  in  Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Tier II Technical Support Specialist in Addison, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits, occasional free products, comfy desk chairs

Cons

If there is a definition of "hell" it would be Tier II Technical Support. This position's technical skills entail telling Consultants to click the "Forgot your Password" button or to have them try a different web browser. It is mainly customer service orientated requiring you to take phone calls for 8 hours a day. The majority of these calls are angry consultant's who can't submit their orders because the website is not nearly as functional as it should be.

Sitting stagnant in a gray cubical staring at a computer screen for 8+ hours a day.

Taking phone call after phone call for 8+ hours a day and not being able to provide any real assistance because the technical issues have to be fixed by the web development team-- you'll spend alot of time apologizing to Consultants for something that is beyond your control.

No real line of communication between Technical Support (who deals directly with the field) and the Web Development team other than a ticketing system. There are many tickets market as "Urgent" that remain untouched by the Development team for months.

Dealing with arrogant Consultant's who will talk down to you and blame you for their order submission tool (the website) not working properly even though you have no control over its functionality.

The average length of time an IT project is in beta testing phases is 4-8 weeks. Pampered Chef's website has been in beta testing for over 1 year and 4 months and it still is not functional. Fire your Web Development team-- they could not program Pac Man for an Atari 2600.

At one time was a great company, now it's a wreck

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good hours, free product, nice commute

Cons

no room for advancement, no training in any departments, supervisors do not know how to communicate, upper management acts as if they care when they only care about covering their own behinds, people in position of authority are worse than used car salesmen. it is encouraged to spy on one another and report back to management. a lot of cliques.

stop asking people to spy on one another. realize the people that have been let go held a great bulk of knowledge & because management is scared of smart knowledgeable people the company will have a hard time moving forward

Worked for Pampered Chef? Contribute to the Community!