Panasonic Avionics Corporation

Updated August 26, 2014

3.4

Panasonic Avionics Corporation CEO Paul Margis
Paul Margis

Pros
  • Clean work environment, always something new to learn (in 7 reviews)

• Growing company, market leader, leading technology (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management all in California, so local management is not kept in check (in 8 reviews)

• long hours and coordination between departments can be difficult (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that cares about its clients and its employees

Former Employee - Tech Support Specialist I  in  Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Tech Support Specialist I in Bothell, WA

I worked at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Based on the way upper management treated me and the opportunities that were available to me, I always felt like I mattered to the company as a whole.

Cons

While I was there, PAC had an odd mix of being in the business of selling cutting edge technology, while still running their own company using outdated technology. This often resulted in a lower level of efficiency than they could have had with newer, more robust systems.

It's been a few years since I was there, but my biggest advice would be to invest in a barcode inventory/task tracking system.

Technology leader where thinking out of the box is encouraged

I have been working at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Providing solutions to the customer is priority one; first rate technologists and coworkers; leadership in innovation for in-flight and global communication systems superior. Much to be learned from your co-workers.

Cons

Be prepared to work long and hard hours--that is the culture. You can get ahead if you are outstanding in your field and have not made the mistake of crossing a member of upper management.

As we become larger as an organization, don't forget our roots in avionics or the guidance provided by Konosuke Matsushia. You are getting a little top heavy and bureaucratic- this will not ensure your continued and future success.

Review In a Nutshell

Current Employee - Support  in  Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Support in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overview: Growing and profitable Panasonic division
    Perks: Heath care plan is second to none.

Cons

Massive growth means massive workload. If you have skill, be prepared to be dumped on. Workloads are not balanced throughout the departments very well. I attribute this to a very poor onboarding and training program. New employees are often left to their own devices by their management team.

Departments are still operating in silos. (aka: not communicating with other departments very well). Department heads are often removed from the front lines. Communication efforts need to happen at the mid mgmt. level.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity with endless learning possibilities

Current Employee - NOC Satellite Operations Administrative I  in  Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - NOC Satellite Operations Administrative I in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are always learning and growing within the company.

Cons

It is very hard to get employed.

Communicate with the staff. The technical people know best.

No room for advancment

Former Employee - Quality Inspector  in  Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Bothell, WA

I worked at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clean work environment, always something new to learn

Cons

No room for advancement. Bosses extremely complacent

market leader for IFEC industry.

I worked at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time

Pros

Panasonic is an industry lead in IFEC which is also a growing industry. Good to be in growing industry.

Cons

Incompetent management. New product development often delay due to poor planning and execution.

Top-down Management Style

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good rapport among employees...although often based around dissatisfaction with management
    - Beautiful facilities
    - Decent pay

Cons

- Fractured relationship between Irvine and Bothell with massive communication issues
    - Inconsistent yearly reviews
    - Difficulty delivering products on-time and under budget

Promote a positive work environment rather than one based on fear and/or intimidation

Good Place to Cut Your Teeth in The Aviation Workplace

Former Employee - Maintenance Services Representative (MSR)  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Maintenance Services Representative (MSR) in Newark, NJ

I worked at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to get a job when your a daisy fresh A&P (airframe and powerplant mechanic on airplanes), Good people willing to offer OJT to help you learn, Exciting work environment (you get to work on several different airlines aircraft) One of the largest players in the IFE game.

Cons

Company is very cheap (they don't like to buy essential tools to get the job done like laptops, even though they manufacture some of the best laptops around (toughbooks), Promotions are hard to come by, unless you are a favorite, You will do the same job over and over with little new tasks added

Reward the hard workers at the bottom with a chance to prove they can move up!

Ok as a starter company - Don't stick around for too long.

I worked at Panasonic Avionics Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are working for the best among the worst lot of companies in the IFE market. With very low to NO competition, you can relax and have a great work-life balance (especially if you are in one of the MANY teams that never have steep deadlines).
    If you join right out of college, there is scope for learning a lot atleast for the first couple of years.

Cons

- The work is so unevenly divided that almost 20% of the workforce seem to be bearing almost 80% of the workload. However, the bonuses don't seem to reflect the same unevenness. The merit evaluation system is completely broken!
    - Poor compensation. No stock/option benefits.
    - The upper management is directionless and the company seems to be surviving solely because of a handful of talented individuals and no market competition.

Do not let good people leave! Create a process to recognize good talent and stray away from the bluffers..

Extremely fast paced, one group is favored/protected, very political, watch your back

Current Employee - Manager/Director  in  Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Manager/Director in Lake Forest, CA

Pros

Growing company, market leader, leading technology

Cons

Pay not competitive, ery reactionary, too fast paced (wears you out), people lie/throw you under the bus to save their skin, very political, not much cooperation between divisions, very tight fisted (but some divisions spend money like it grows on trees)

Learn from leading companies and change the company culture such that everyone works for each other and not play the blame game

Worked for Panasonic Avionics Corporation? Contribute to the Community!