Panasonic Reviews

Reset
1.0
Panasonic Chairman and CEO Joseph M. (Joe) Taylor
Joseph M. (Joe) Taylor

Pros
  • Good life-work balance and good benefits (in 14 reviews)

• profesional working environment, near the central (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Their work/life balance is out of whack and they know it (in 11 reviews)

• There is no work/Life balance with this company (in 5 reviews)

Baith/Switch/Grosly misrepresented position with unprofessional management

Former Contractor - Senior Graphic Designer in Newark, NJ
    Former Contractor - Senior Graphic Designer in Newark, NJ

I worked at Panasonic as a contractor

Pros

Clean Office with nice views Decent hourly rates

Cons

Designers beware- this is not a place for you! Will give you one hour notice to terminate your contract Unprofessional manager's behavior bordering on bullying Department with no interest in true design or talent development Disheartening work environment Gossip, no social life, no career growth, no support for training, even in your downtime, be prepared to account for every minute of your day.

Advice to Management

I started working a design contract for this corporation to contribute my talents, be part of something, hopefully learn something, and walk away with valuable contacts and good portfolio work or possibly stay forever. In the interview, it sounded like a perfect match to my skills with some amazing challenges ahead that would max out my potential. The manager was pleasant and excited as was I. BUT, within days of starting the position I felt something was seriously wrong- the small promises disappearing, like occasional work from home that was promised to me, commuter and parking contributions that I was promised at the interview by a person who was now on leave) do not exist, but bigger problem was when the daily work did not match my abilities as a reasonably accomplished professional. Basically bait and switch-waste a passionate designer to do all your silly production in return for no genuine portfolio work. I suddenly found myself doing only the kind of work I did while I was still in school 5 years ago in my first serious design job for a small electronics firm. As opposed to ideation/design/ collaborative role that senior designer normally does, with some production expected(even a lot of production would be fine for worthy projects), I found myself photo-shopping white blurs on stock images and words /text that was pre-designed by the person on leave. None of the work had any artistry or innovation. I found myself fixing PPT slides and word documents for weeks, resizing images, doing meaningless tasks, like packaging artwork files that have been already designed. My hands and wrist hurt almost constantly after this stint of hundred thousand meaningless mouse clicks. Yet somehow even these small projects were never executed to liking of my manager, who consecutively found ways to embarrass me almost daily by speaking extremely loudly about shortcomings so all office could hear. "All the things that I should have done differently and all the things that I should know by now", oh, and how he always rolled his eyes...It took me weeks to not to take his demeanor personally, since I have never experienced such poor management techniques before. He treated me as if I am not professional, while he was the one behaving poorly while I felt like a 5 year old constantly. Before he got grasp of his interim management role(took him a month), he would fail to give me an assignment, and then yelled at me in front of everyone for not taking initiative, although he was gone 15 minutes in a meeting, and I was too new to have anything other to do. And did he appreciate the fact that all I did was go on Adobe website to see Photoshop tutorials for my future assignments? No. Dealing with direct clients successfully for past 5 years I am usually the one they go to for advice and hard work(yes I do all my production, but at least I have portfolio to show for it) and getting yelled at every day by someone who has clearly become self aggrandizing sheep, really is not my preferred mode of work. It went so far, that I was ready to have a talk with him to beg him that he lower his voice when reprimanding me. In the meanwhile I lost lot of my self-confidence as a designer for two reasons: if someone constantly puts you down, you start believing some of this is true, but second, more important reason: I suddenly realized I have absolutely no portfolio worthy projects from amazing Panasonic. Where was all this awesome ad work I was resizing, produced I asked(probably in Japan). This was categorically a demotion to my design and my soul. No cohesive work at all. If one day, some manager makes you feel that you are not worthy, but you have proof from previous clients that you are just fine, please don't let him get to you. Because if I am taking horrible behaviour, it will be only from a person that has actually something valuable to teach me(like all those professors you hate, but later realize they have your best interest in mind). Because I have had many perfectly satisfying jobs before. But web banners designer by someone else, PPT slides, resized images, will surely not get me the agency job I so dreamed of. Now, do you want to know the last straw that broke the camel? Why I regret every minute wasted at this place? The contract was for 6 months(with big talks about how they need someone permanent beyond that). After 3 months, this Monday, the person who hired me, came back to work from leave. I was coincidentally getting a bit sick. On Tuesday, I stopped by a doctor before work, coming little late to work with apologies, and upon arrival, my manager sent me home in fear I will make her sick, and my backstabbing interim manager seconded her, even though a month ago he was horribly ill with flu, yet took only 2 days off and coughed on us for days before and week after coming back. All I had was laryngitis with no cough, just lost voice and I was sent home(of course unpaid). So, I wasted a trip and went home to rest...after two days of not hearing from them with any projects, I wrote saying I will come on Friday(so I took 3 days of work). Sure enough on Thursday night, I receive a call from my agent saying I do not have to go back there as they ran out of budget! Do the math, 1+1=scam. I was a maternity leave stand in and they did not have the courtesy to tell me. I literally spent every day stressing there, losing my design ability by the minute, thinking I cannot leave this project before my contract is up, as that would be unprofessional, and here the manager decides while I am sick at home, to give me no notice and tell me not to come anymore. This must be the most cowardly thing I have seen. And to realize my wrist has arthritis from working production and data entry for this horrible place clicking their cheap mouse for hours(they should realize designers need tablets to work). When I saw Mr. Joe Taylor speak at recent event, I was actually inspired for once, but the people I worked for absolutely do not represent any of the vision that he spoke of. There is no future without greater expectations, greater challenges, and investment in talent. All you will have is unsatisfied, burned out staff. I truly regret not leaving sooner and without notice, in the middle of a busy day..

Stuck in the 80s and 90s

Pros

Great product discounts. Generally nice people.

Cons

Resistant to change. Too much about sales and not enough about strategy. Japanese management is very resistant to change and does not understand American market. Pushes poor products from factory down the throats of its operating companies. Makes silly and arbitrary rules that do not push th. Company forward

Advice to Management

Be the change you want to see. Stop nickel and diming employees. Give people freedom and encouragement to succeed. Stop acting like a patriarchal company from 35 years ago.

HR Coordinator

Pros

Nothing. Don't waste your time. Useless place to work.

Cons

Low pay. Contractors are treated like second class citizens. Management is awful. No communication.

Advice to Management

Fired everyone and start over with new blood.

You think it will be a dream job but they change direction every six months

Former Employee - Regional Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Panasonic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products with a recognized name

Cons

No market strategy left here. All sales through distributors - what as long time employees with track record of success are let go left and right. This company once thrived in many areas. Now they just work with a handful of distributors who may or may not even promote the line.

Advice to Management

Reexamine your core values get back to basics with a real sales team...

A nightmare with a horrible manager!

Former Employee - Customer Relations in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Relations in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Panasonic (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were great for being dumped on by a lazy manager.

Cons

Manager was never in the office. Always out to a dr appt or class or a sick animal. She dumped all her work on everyone around her incuding me. Promised co workers at other sites to have things to them and often never got them done and blamed someone else.

Advice to Management

Dont promote just any woman to equal oppurtunity.

If you commute by train and use the walkway, bring your mace.

Current Employee - Area Sales Coordinator in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Area Sales Coordinator in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Panasonic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. The total package is very good

Cons

Environment. When Joe Taylor said "He would never put people in harm's way" at a town hall meeting It appears thet was not true. He also said "Newark is safer than New York city". Sorry both cases are not true. As to the first the new facility is next door to a Methadone Clinic in the Joe Pepe building next door. AND last week a female employee was accosted on the linkway connecting the building with NJ Penn Station. And as to the second point, IF you research crime stats you will find that Newark is MUCH more dangerous than New York City in just about every category of crime. The bottom line is that Secaucus was FAR SAFER than the new location. Penn Station is a den of homeless and beggars as well. Thanks for "placing us in harm's way afterall.

Advice to Management

Petition the mayor of Newark to provide ample security for your employees.

hard to watch what has happened to this once great company

I have been working at Panasonic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative electronics and impressive prototypes. great benefits

Cons

Business culture sucks. This company is in constant transformation. Their new president in Consumer Electronics has cut staff drastically in favor of a business model that no longer contains television marketing or promotion and would perfer to promote health and beauty products. Panasonic once had the greatest televisions on the planet. Now their the laughing stock of the industry

Advice to Management

Get back to basics and that includes Japan. Build the high quality products that Panasonic has always been known for and put together a marketing group that knows what they're doing. Better yet stay completely away from marketing and find a company that can perform this function better than you. (That shouldn't be hard to find)

Losing Share Quickly In A Very Competitive Market Place

Pros

Fantastic and reliable products in many different areas.

Cons

Way too conservative in recent years. In order to survive in today's fast paced market, product promotion (ADVERTISING) is necessary. Just because the products are good is not enough to win placement and get potential customers to purchase your products. Consumers in the United States are not as loyal as they used to be. Employees are treated as a number rather than a human being.

Advice to Management

Spend the necessary $$$ to promote products and take care of your employees.

A horrible place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Panasonic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none, zero, zilch, nada

Cons

Silos. Infighting. Vendettas. Treated like a pawn in a twisted game.

Advice to Management

Seek professional help.

Company is totally out of control in regards to management team

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at Panasonic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Five years ago the management team cared and was truly interested in growing the business. Not true since the last re-org and a new management team came into play.

Cons

Always being wrong, no consistencies between accounts or programs. Everything is micromanaged and is always wrong.

Advice to Management

Wake up Japan-side management team and see what is happening to our business.

RSS Feed </> Embed