Panda Express

Panda Express Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng

Andrew Cherng

Pros
  • Also, you get a raise every 6 months and free food while you're working(in 46 reviews)

• Good pay, relationships with coworkers are great(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to have Work-Life Balance as they keep you extended too thin(in 19 reviews)

• long hours, customer pressure, food industry is difficult in general(in 14 reviews)

Great Opportunities for Advancement

General Manager of Operations (Former Employee)

ProsGrowth, Company Values, Staff and Management, Training, Benefits

ConsWork-life Balance, usually worked odd hours during the day, really difficult to attain days off while in a management position.

Over Worked

Counter Help (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsFree Food, As much as you can eat. Fair pay for high school students.

ConsManagement was terrible. Everyone talked about each other. If you stop taking extra shifts they cut down your hours. At least at mine.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let kids under 18 work more than 20 hours. Its illegal for one. I was in high school and had full schedule they had me working more than 30-40 hours a week. Once i stopped taking extra hours they cut down my own to 6.

Big on health and learning, but low on work/life balance

Lead Counter Help (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsI have been taught more about management through Panda Express than any other job to date, and they have been able to be very flexible with my scheduling needs. My coworkers are like family and the benefits package is pretty good (not the best, but I've paid more for less).

ConsBalancing your work life and your social life is damn near impossible if you're a full time employee, and unless you are an assistant manager or above the pay isn't enough to cover post-college expenses. It can be difficult to get promoted if you're not one of your manager's favorites or your team doesn't function very efficiently

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better training system for all associates. People who are entry level counter associates should not be spending more time cooking than the Lead Counter associates and Assistant Managers in Training just because they like it better than interacting with the customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional and no hours.

Cook (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay ($9/hr), easy work.

ConsUnprofessional and unorganized management, promised me 30 hours/week and ended up at 0 hours/week, lack of training, managers leave early and do not help with closing procedures so they can go home earlier.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds significantly better and more professional management, both store-side and corporate-side.

it was a pleasant experience

Counter Help (Current Employee) Lovejoy, GA

Prosoffer you an opportunity to grow within the company.

Consvery busy, exhausting environment, and demanding. you will be standing all day at work.

Great for a fast food place

Counter Help (Former Employee) Gilbert, AZ

ProsThe starting rate is more than a dollar over minimum wage which was awesome considering it's a fast food place and it was my first job. Also, if the store passes the monthly inspections, everyone gets a bonus every month which depends on how much you work and how much your store makes. So the more money your store makes and the more you work the bigger it'll be.My store was small and I worked 20 to 30 hours a week and I got about a $40 bonus every month which is great. Also, you get a raise every 6 months and free food while you're working. 30 hours a week is considered full time which means you get vacation hours and health insurance. Assistant Managers and Chef or Lead Counter positions can get money for college through Panda. I knew someone who got promoted to Chef in 1 year and then to Assistant Manager the next year and he was only 21 so if you are good and hardworking there can be great opportunities for you here.

ConsNormal cons of working at a fast food place. It is a lot of hard work and you have to deal with rude customers on a daily basis. I worked with many different managers during my time here and all of them spoke Chinese and hardly any English and it was almost impossible to understand them, especially when they are yelling, which is often. The managers definitely pick favorites which can affect your raise more than your performance. Some people consistently showed up late or missed shifts and never even got so much as a write up which is obviously unfair to everyone else. When a new manager came and they were not the favorites anymore, they had a hell of time getting used to actually coming to work on time because they started actually getting in trouble. Corporate always says they are going to visit but then never show up so your manager makes you spend extra hours cleaning for nothing. There was a lot of gossip between the managers. We always knew what was going on at other stores in the area which was kind of fun but also annoying at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should get written up by their ACO's if they do not write up other people for showing up late or missing shifts. They should have to decide how much raise to give based on tangible things such as how many hours a week they work and if they've ever been written up ect.

Friendly, offered sample and to add an eggroll

Lead Counter (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsAbility to grow within the company

ConsBreak times and closing delays

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize slow time

Good Company

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity to learn. Great benefits and bonuses.

ConsLack of work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using GMs as labor and have them focus on management. And please have them longer period of training. They only know how to cook after completion of training.

ok company

Prosbetter than most fastfood restaurants start anyone of at 8.50

Conscostumer service sales ok benefits one you climb the ladder

Great Company

Lead Counter (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsFree Food, Bonuses, Benefits, Raises, Enviornment

ConsChanging of Management, Long time before promotions or raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Employees good enough to earn trust. Trust makes a hard worker.

Worked for Panda Express? Contribute to the Community!