Panda Express

Updated October 24, 2014
3.2

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng
Andrew Cherng

Pros
  • Free food (it's good unless you tried to eat it 2 meals a day, 5 days a week for 5 years) (in 60 reviews)

• good pay great benefits good hours 20% discount and free meal on break (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • There was a lot of sacrifice and almost no such thing as work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• long hours, customer pressure, food industry is difficult in general (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

It was awesome but i had to leave

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get free lunch break food
    You get Bonuses if the sales are very good
    You start at a fairly good salary
    The workers are nice and friendly
    Is a high chance to get promoted
    You get a lot of hours if you're free

Cons

The customers are rude at times ( but thats everywhere)
    i worked almost every weekend so i was never free to do anything with family and friends over the weekend

Try to give everyone an equal amount of weekends off. e.g. One week some get the weekend off the next week the next batch of employees get the weekend off. because that can become annoying working every weekend and not having free time at the end of the week and is unfair for the ones working almost every weekend.

catering sales manager

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits and more good benefits
    more good benefits

Cons

alot of out of town travel

none

It has led to me better things in life.

Current Employee - Person In Charge in Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - Person In Charge in Clarksville, IN

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers
    The pay is great

Cons

"Customers are always right"
    Stressful at times

Keep up the hard work.

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Panda Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, local store, bonus

Cons

Too much long standing hours upto 12-14 hours per shift. Upper manager demands 60 hours plus a week. Micromanagement - dictate every decision made. Chinese strict management style. Constantly on calls during day off. Responsible for ALL areas of operations at the store including maintenance, vendors, contractors, etc..

On call on day off, no long vacation. general manager is top position is area with very little room to advance higher. Mostly Asian in higher management. no work-life balance.

Steady work room to grow some Perk's

I have been working at Panda Express

Pros

The pay starts above minimum wage. You can depend on getting steady hours. After 6 months your eligible for benefits, its a good deal for a single person but for my husband and I it was expensive 489.00 compared to 88 for just me.

Cons

Demanding management they definatally want things done a certain way.

Think things through before you blame something on someone most people try and do a good job and if there not maybe there's a reason.

Great if you like a fast-paced learning environment.

Current Employee - Cook in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cook in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hours are always there if you want them. It was also a great learning experience. It was also nice to know I was not cooking "warm up" foods.

Cons

It can vary with your manager. I went through 4 managers at my time of employment.

N/A

Everyone seems to be afraid of the CEO

Former Employee - Temp in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Temp in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Panda Express as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with and awesome work environment. Very flexible hours and free gym access. Sometime there is free food at work.

Cons

If you are a temporary position and trying to get in as permanent, Good luck. Chances of getting hired is pretty slim. For you to be consider to be hired, you will have to take Landmark (a self improve course) which you will have to pay out of your own pocket and it was not cheap($450) and there are multiple classes after that. About 90% of the associates in the office does not agree with landmark nor do they want to take it. Also you need to get involve with company by living the culture and values.which I don't mind at all because some of the outside activities were great experience. The interview process can take up to 6 months to a year which includes lots and endless hours of coaching session with HR and your manager just to prep up to meet with the CPO and eventually the founder. One reason why I find this interview ridiculous is because none of the question they ask relate to my work, but my personal life. It's great that they care about me, but it is unnecessary for them to dig into my life to see if I was worthy to be part of this company. What does my relationship with friends and family got to do with my work or how I grew up should not matter of why I belong. I have seen many great people that do so much for this company but yet, they were let go because people above don't think they fit in the culture and values.

My best advise is that great company but this hiring process that this company created has projected a bad image of the company. Many associates do not agree with what HR and people above are doing. The position I was pursuing was a low entry level position, but yet was treated as if I was in high position and pay was high. They need to give the Hiring Manager and VP of the department the power to hire the people that fits best for the department/company and not let HR determine if you are Panda material. Also, Landmark is a big deal to Panda, but why encourage everyone to take it when no one likes it or agree with it? You basically have to take it for consideration for hire or even promotion. Everything seems to be forced and everyone is afraid to speak up.

Good Starting Job.

Former Employee - Cook in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Cook in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Higher base pay for new hires with no experience. Flexible hours, although they may say it's not.

Cons

Managers/leaders in the chain of command lack the necessary skills to effectively manage the stores. Be ready to get treated unfairly or unjustly by some managers. Especially from the managers who moved to the US, who do not understand labor laws.

The job itself is hard at first, but if you are willing to learn it does become exponentially easier. Especially if you plan to work on the back end.

Invest more in acquiring better leaders and give incentives for them to stay.

High demand, low pay

Former Employee - Counter Help in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Counter Help in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good starting pay

Cons

High demand, under appreciated, tolerance, patience

analyze and understand more of employees and their needs

AM

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and good benefit

Cons

hard work and they push alot

hire good people