Panda Express

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng
Andrew Cherng

Pros
  • Free food when you work a certain amount of hours and you meet new friends (in 64 reviews)

• good pay great benefits good hours 20% discount and free meal on break (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • There was a lot of sacrifice and almost no such thing as work-life balance (in 26 reviews)

• long hours, customer pressure, food industry is difficult in general (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Becoming part of a family

Former Employee - Front of House
    Former Employee - Front of House

I worked at Panda Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers treat you like family
    Free meals
    Good company values
    Good management

Cons

Not enough hours
    Never scheduled to get a lunch break

Give your FOH workers lunch breaks, they work hard. And schedule the people you have a little more instead of just hiring more people

Depends on management

Current Employee - Counter Help in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Counter Help in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you land on the right location and management, you are there to learn and exceed higher. Panda Express isn't just a fast food like Taco Bell , Mc Dees etc... This place, they actually encourage you to succeed and aim higher in position. The higher you succeed the better pay and benefit you receive. Some managers and upper management may seem mean and have too much expectation... but please don't take them wrong, they are all doing their job right. If every lower new associate cannot cooperate, it is hard to run a business smoothly. Team work is the key in a successful business. You can get a free meal if you work more than 3 hrs per day.

Cons

As for cons, hmm... it's a lot of work and information to absorb. If you're the type that like challenges, please do apply at Panda Express.

Hmm. None at the moment.

Lead Counter

Former Employee - Lead Counter in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Lead Counter in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Panda Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Panda Express is a fun place to work. They are like a family. Panda offers great benefits, as well as reasonable pay. They have always started employees out over minimum wage, and have lots of room for advancement. I would recommend this job to my family and friends.

Cons

In every job you have there will always be a few people who you just don't get along with. My experience was this way. The ACO said I could not be promoted to Assistant manager because I was overweight. He was then demoted a short while after this incident. Other then this, everyone else I have met where great, very friendly people.

They offer a lot of hours at the mall location's during the holiday. this is a con, because you can expect to not see your family very often during this time.

Work on training management a little more with positive feedback as apposed to constant negativity.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Panda Express

Pros

Great Opportunities for who want to growth and development.

Cons

Prioritizing between your work and your personal life can be a huge challenge.

1 Team Panda

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits package, promotes from within, a company that keeps their word. Free meals on breaks and a focus on personal self development.

Cons

12 hour days of hard labor that exhausts the body and mind. After 8 hours that last 4 you are dragging yourself through the day and you are less productive

If you want to be known as a world leader in people development you have to understand that after 8 hours a person begins to exhaust and their work productivity drops. After 10 hours they are just going through the motions. 10 hour work days should be the maximum in order to maintain your employees sanity and mental health, as well as their physical health. Many mistakes are made in the last 2 hours of work because employees as well as management are working through sheer exhaustion and many time physical pain. Lessen your daily hours and I believe you will see a rise in employee happiness as well as work productivity levels.

Starved for Managers

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, a lot of work, teamwork is apparent among managers. Great hard working staff (out of the ones who stay).

Panda promotes personal growth heavily, but it falls short in many cases.

Cons

PE is starved for managers so you have some people getting paid $10/hr while doing the work of a 45k salaried GM. Area managers and higher speak to store managers and associates like we are children. They promote growth opportunities in cryptic riddles sometimes and they dictate how everything should be done; including how you should fold a towel (first fold by three and then in half and then in half again, or roll it up after the tri-fold if you are going to clean the steam table).
    Hours are a bit overwhelming. Managers should not have 2 days off in a row nor should they have more than 2 days off in a week. Managers should open at least twice a week, close at least twice a week, and must work Fridays and Saturdays with little exceptions. Requesting holidays off is heavily suggested against and must go through two levels of authorization. Manager hours should be around 50 hours per week, but often float around 60, and can get up to 70 or more if you are expecting a store visit.
    I feel a little cheated. I was told, in the beginning, that bonuses were almost guaranteed, including hefty quarterly bonuses of $1000 or greater. However, I was put in charge of a store as an Assistant Manager after 5 weeks of training and quickly learned from many mistakes. Those mistakes led to no bonus. It's a bit embarrassing when everyone else around the table is handed a check and you get skipped. Often, we are goaded into passing our measurements and audits with a grave message spoken slowly and hesitantly "you will get a written warning which means... you will lose your quarterly bonus..." but I've never gotten one, so I don't really know what I'm missing out on.

Regardless of how much work you put in, you will only ever get a courtesy "thank you" after an hour or two has been spent telling you everything you have done "wrong."

It's food service, so you will slowly lose your respect for much of humanity with all of the unnecessarily rude and entitled people. I could only shrug off so much before it really started to bug me. With a bachelor's degree making less than 30k/year, I don't want to say I'm above all of this, but I've been exhausted of my ability to cope with it. This inability to cope is also affected by my personal life (what little is left), but that personal life is strained because of all the time I'm spending at Panda.

This job is definitely not for everyone, but those that stick with it really love the company, the pay, and supposedly what they do.

Fake it till you make it culture

I have been working at Panda Express

Pros

Great compensation and benefits. Able to meet a variety of people.

Cons

Culture is supposed to be about people but its not. Mgmt is super fake and sometimes highly incompetent. Hiring people with degrees but they can't even do the job doesn't make sense.

Get real.

Fast paced

Current Employee - Food Server in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, good pay, flexible hours, learn to multitask

Cons

Very fast pace, pressure, busy, you don't leave at the time you're suppose to

Great company. Really promotes the "family" feeling.

Current Employee - Lead Counter Help in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Counter Help in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They work with your school schedule, promote always from within the company, and pay way more than other restaurants.

Cons

Long, usually 12 hour, shifts. Overall Panda Express does not have many bad qualities. I would recommend panda to anybody!

you reap what you sow

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very strong foundation, cultured company.
    Great benefits
    Good execution

Cons

Very easy to get terminated/demoted
    Alot of pointless meeting

I love most of my senior management team, but please be fair to everyone.

Panda Express Photos