Panda Express

Updated August 18, 2014

3.3

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng
Andrew Cherng

Pros
  • Also, you get a raise every 6 months and free food while you're working (in 46 reviews)

• Good pay, relationships with coworkers are great (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to have Work-Life Balance as they keep you extended too thin (in 19 reviews)

• long hours, customer pressure, food industry is difficult in general (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Sweatshop mentality

Current Employee - General Manager of Operations  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - General Manager of Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Values have some merit and can change the way you live life both professionally and personally.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Penny wise mentality leaves you with minimal staff to support business and you will work like a laborer to meet demand. Company mentality is to bring young inexperienced people into the business because they are easier to manipulate. The premise is that they bring fresh new ideas but the reality is that they are easily brainwashed into the cult like culture. Typical staff of fast food industry with young or uneducated unskilled labor will leave you with regular need to fill in for associates who call in because they hate their jobs too. You will end up working as a cook, dishwasher or FOH associate on a regular basis. If you are not Asian forget about any chance of advancement past ACO.

Remember what is was like when you were a GM. Operations is demanding and there is no balance of work and life. No BS about what you are trying to sell to GMs when you need them to help you look good to your RDO. Be honest about what they can expect when you assign them or move them to a new store. To CEO, you expect humility and being humble yet you expect to be recognized as a rock star when you enter a store. Live what you preach. You are a successful businessman not the Messiah. Your ZVPs, RDOs and ACOs coach people on how to sit in a chair and hold practice sessions in preparation for your arrival. You expect diversity yet your middle and upper management coaches people how to sit, talk, speak and if they could would coach on the proper technique for cleansing after defecation. What you see versus reality is phony and in the words that you would understand best "in-authentic". Get back to where you came from and appreciate people for what they are which is what you were when you came to this country.

A great place for a career!!

Current Employee - General Manager of Operations  in  Benicia, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager of Operations in Benicia, CA

Pros

The teamwork, excellent pay & benefits, and the opportunity for growth make Panda Express a great company to be part of. Also, their culture and promotion of a healthy lifestyle lets you know the company cares about you as an individual.

Cons

Fast-paced working environment. Need to be good at multi-tasking and prioritizing. Also, working in a hot kitchen for most of the day can be difficult.

Good Company

Current Employee - Front of House- Drive-thru
    Current Employee - Front of House- Drive-thru

Pros

Pay
    Free Food
    Advancement
    Insurance after 6mon

Cons

Long hours
    Management gets moved around too much.
    Turn Over.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice

Former Employee - Counter Help
    Former Employee - Counter Help

Pros

Great co-workers, free meal during breaks, and usually pays $9/hr.

Cons

Can be hectic sometimes during rushes.

Fun people, decent management, good food

Current Employee - Cashier, Server, Kitchen Help, Prep Cook  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier, Server, Kitchen Help, Prep Cook in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Free meal at break times
    Fair wages and flexible schedule

Cons

Hard to move up in the company

Way too much physical work, too little compensation, no work-life balance

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Del Mar, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Del Mar, CA

Pros

Panda promotes a very inspiring work culture.

Cons

I worked here as an assistant manager, so my days off were Thursdays and Sundays. That is pretty universal for all managers. The rest of the week, I was working 12 hour days because of the long restaurant hours. There was a lot of sacrifice and almost no such thing as work-life balance. Also, almost all of the upper management is Chinese, and they seem to show favoritism towards other Chinese when promoting.

ACOs should be more realistic when it comes to pushing AMs and GMs. We are always putting in our best effort to keep the store in tip top shape, maximize sales potentials, and best food quality but it is never enough - while you ACOs are supposed to visit us at least once a week for advise and inspiration. I worked in the San Diego area. My store was extremely busy, but we received little to no support from our assigned ACO. He didn't even come when he promised, and came to visit once every three weeks or so. What do you get paid to do all day anyway, with your free car and phone?

Assistant Manager Review

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Van Nuys, CA

Pros

Great opportunity to grow
    Good Benefits
    Lots of Training plus programs available
    Good Pay (compared to other fast food joints)

Cons

Its still fast food
    TOO MUCH PRESSURE TO PERFORM
    Long Hours - No life work balance
    VERY hands on

Put less pressure on lower management
    Serve coffee

RESPECT

Current Employee - Counter Help  in  Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Counter Help in Escondido, CA

Pros

good pay great benefits good hours 20% discount and free meal on break

Cons

you get treated with little to no respect by your manager basically get call stupid in her own nice way....acknowledged your team member your a team leader be the reason why our store moving up not the reason why even the Customer would suffer

the store managers need to be informed educated that the people that work for Panda not for them... We dont need your constant yelling reminding us the reason and should be thankful that your giving us hours... And telling us what kind of failure we are people human being with feelings if we have a choice some of us would have walked out or call Hr to complain but we love our job... High respect to your position but I will hid from you if I see you somewhere else... Respect to have that 20 20 vision implemented in the store.... OUR STORE

The management is not good, the environment is fantastic

Current Employee - Front of House  in  Euless, TX
    Current Employee - Front of House in Euless, TX

Pros

Good pay, nice people, fast paced

Cons

Unorganized, degrading, slow to fix problems, no promotions,

When you have something that needs to be fixed, don't just not do anything and wait for your employees to fix it, call someone.

Good Management Experience

Former Employee - General Manager of Operations
    Former Employee - General Manager of Operations

Pros

lots of developmental sessions, good starting pay

Cons

No work and life balance. Even when you plan ahead and submit your schedule to area manager, always have unexpected store visits from upper management. After working so hard to clean and get ready for visit, always gets canceled. Always been told as a general manager I would not be part of general labor and focus on training and coaching, buts its not the case, labor is always tight. Very physical job with a lot expectations that you maintain your figure, if not you have no "work life" balance and will be hard for you to get promoted.

care more about your GMs and associates, we are always front line. Help Gms balance their work life balance

Worked for Panda Express? Contribute to the Community!