Panda Express

Panda Express Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng

Andrew Cherng

Pros:
  • "Free food, (you get sick of the food after a couple months)"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Good pay, relationships with coworkers are great"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hard to have Work-Life Balance as they keep you extended too thin"
    in 15 reviews
  • "long hours, customer pressure, food industry is difficult in general"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Friendly, offered sample and to add an eggroll

Lead Counter (Former Employee)
Torrance, CA

I worked at Panda Express full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAbility to grow within the company

ConsBreak times and closing delays

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize slow time

Good Company

General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity to learn. Great benefits and bonuses.

ConsLack of work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using GMs as labor and have them focus on management. And please have them longer period of training. They only know how to cook after completion of training.

ok company

I have been working at Panda Express

Prosbetter than most fastfood restaurants start anyone of at 8.50

Conscostumer service sales ok benefits one you climb the ladder

Great Company

Lead Counter (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for more than a year

ProsFree Food, Bonuses, Benefits, Raises, Enviornment

ConsChanging of Management, Long time before promotions or raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Employees good enough to earn trust. Trust makes a hard worker.

Good pay, sloppy and unprofessional management.

Counter Help (Former Employee)
Riverside, CA

I worked at Panda Express part-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, relationships with coworkers are great.

ConsI don't even know where to start. AVOID THIS JOB AT ALL COSTS. Extremely unprofessional management. All of my coworkers have hooked up with each other. We were always under staffed, and the manager NEVER bothered to hire anyone, which makes it hard to request days off. When you try to request days off, they think you're lying. I've worked at 2 different locations and they're both the same. EVERY Panda location is just as bad as another. If you are forced to work overtime, they make you clock out so you don't get paid overtime. Everyone there is full time, and I was part time. They would try to force me to be full time. I had to miss a day of school once because a girl called off and they forced me to come in. Whenever I did something wrong, or make a mistake, my manager would say, "hey everyone, look what she did, yeah, look what she messed up, I can't believe she did that, seriously oh my gosh..." LIKE NO, that is NOT a learning environment, this is humiliation. So unprofessional. There's so much more I could say, but i'll just leave it at this: DO NOT TAKE THIS JOB. YOU WILL BE MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY DRAINED AND MISERABLE EVERYDAY.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect peoples' life choices, don't force a career on someone who is part time. Don't yell to the cooks in the back to make food, you may think it's funny to customers but really they are bothered and uncomfortable. ACO Managers, you may say that we can voice our opinion about any problems in the workplace, and that you'll do your best to improve it, but you should really mean what you say and actually do it. I've talked to my ACO Manager many times about our panda location, but they didn't do squat or even come in when i've called them. Thank you for nothing.

Good pay for a fast food job.

Cook/Dish Washer (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Panda Express part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's good job if you are looking for a college part time job

ConsPoor management, business ethics and practice, and not something you can support yourself with out other means.

Advice to Senior ManagementResponsibility, accountability, macromanagement , employee appreciation, and structure.

Counter Help

Counter Help (Current Employee)
Oak Lawn, IL

I have been working at Panda Express part-time for more than a year

ProsIt's not a very difficult job. Anyone can get the hang of it in a few weeks. There is always something going on every day and you get paid bonuses.

ConsA lot of lies about opportunities to move up. You can work hard and hard to get promoted but managers and mums and aco's don't really give you the time of day. Don't get paid enough to deal with beyond rude customers and managers who don't really care for you

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your store to function well, be successful, your employees must be happy!

Decent pay and benefits but it's like a cult

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Rosemead, CA

I worked at Panda Express full-time

ProsPay, stock options, bonuses and benefits are good. Gym on site. Free classes in subjects like leadership, excel and coaching others. Nice building and great people to work with (middle and lower levels). The work is interesting and challenging. It is a great opportunity for those without degrees or are English as a second language. They do give opportunities where other companies may not.

ConsNo real room for growth even with hard work. Advancement is based on how many self help classes like Landmark that you go to and if you buy into the company culture. They say these things are voluntary but they are very mandatory if you want to advance or even survive. You have to pay for them yourself and take time out of your days off to go to them.

The culture is very much a CULT-ure. The company is way too involved into people's personal lives and it is a part of annual reviews; how often do you work out, what books are you reading (in addition to books we are MADE to read), what classes are you taking (in addition to the Landmark classes we HAVE to take). It's too much. Many company meetings are often full of self help sessions where people are pouring out their hearts about their personal lives and crying. It is very uncomfortable to watch and listen to.

Managers and above as a part of their "leadership" and aligning with the company culture are expected to go to and donate to Tzu Chi in Taiwan as a part of a Buddhist retreat. You have to pay for the trip yourself, donate to the organization and take your own vacation time to go. Cost is several thousands of dollars. Those that don't go are questioned on their values and company leadership. This all seems kind of illegal.

If you are ok with following exactly what the company says and not being a leader or speak your mind, this company could be ok with you. If you have your own mind and thoughts, this is definitely not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay out of people's personal lives and judge promotions on actual work performed, not how many self help classes they take.

good

General Manager of Operations (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for less than a year

Prosvery helpful in your futute career

ConsIt's very harsh for me to be a international student

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know

When I started it was amazing, though when new manager was hired, everything went downhill

Server/Cashier/to Cook (Former Employee)
Carson, CA

I worked at Panda Express part-time for more than a year

ProsGood entry level pay, free food

Consvery hard to get a raise, have to deal with rude customers. Went from a server to a cook and only got a 49 cent raise..... Pathetic if you ask me. Busted my ass cooking and serving at the same time and ended up with back pain,all because the manager never gave me a back belt support no matter how many times I asked. Panda got lucky I didn't sue.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about getting paid more for the crap we all have to deal with. If it wasn't for us employees doing all the dirty work this corporate would of never gone anywhere.

Worked for Panda Express? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Panda Express reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Panda Express CEO Andrew Cherng. All 220 reviews posted anonymously by Panda Express employees.