Panda Express

Updated September 14, 2014
3.2

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng
Andrew Cherng

Pros
  • Also, you get a raise every 6 months and free food while you're working (in 46 reviews)

• Good pay, relationships with coworkers are great (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to have Work-Life Balance as they keep you extended too thin (in 19 reviews)

• long hours, customer pressure, food industry is difficult in general (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company! Panda is growing and with that so is its employees!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-People care about you
    -Great promotional opportunities
    -Great pay and Benefits

Cons

-Work long hours
    -Upper management tends to travel a lot

It was okay.

Former Employee - 0340e443@opayq.com
    Former Employee - 0340e443@opayq.com

I worked at Panda Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Food perks
    Customers seem more polite compared to other fast food places. Only remember rude, impatient lady who was horrible who came in right before closing time and wanted to order everything.

Cons

Uniform shirts are uncomfortable and unflattering
    Some managers can be too "by the books" and strict. Managers will want you too "look busy" in front of the customers and will give you tons of stuff to do if there is any downtime.

Not bad.

Current Employee - Food Service Worker  in  Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Panda Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Management works around schedule
    -Easy going people

Cons

-Everything is really hot
    -or heavy
    -Upper Management are kinda annoying and are always barking orders.

Get a dishwasher please!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start

Current Employee - Front of House  in  Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Front of House in Allen, TX

I have been working at Panda Express part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, Nice management, Good starting pay

Cons

Annoying dealing with people that think they are special, both customers and co workers.

Great company

Former Employee - Lead Counter  in  College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Counter in College Station, TX

I worked at Panda Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid decently, very willing to work with my schedule, loved the focus on customer satisfaction

Cons

worked evenings, and manager did not so it was difficult to communicate well with her and get recognition for the work that I did. Another manager for the back of the house had to advocate for my promotion, because my manager did not know I was ready for it.

Growing strong company

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Panda Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pays,great food, people, company values and growth opportunity.

Cons

It's a great company I have not much to compliant

Good experience as a first job

Former Employee - Counter Help  in  Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Counter Help in Avondale, AZ

I worked at Panda Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is above minimum wage, performance bonuses are also possible. While working on shift, you are offered free meals instead of having to pay using your discount. In addition, you can also use a discount outside of work.

Cons

Earning over 40 hours in a week is extremely rare, advancement can be somewhat difficult, and upper management routinely is shifted around (which I think was/is protocol).

PIC

Current Employee - Counter Helper  in  Blue Springs, MO
    Current Employee - Counter Helper in Blue Springs, MO

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, nice people to work with.

Cons

Getting hours. Its hard to schedule days off unless you find somebody to cover your shift. Managers come and go. Not allowed over time. Bonus is shared with people who are favored. Lots of illegal people working here to. Very stressful

Hire people who want a career through panda not temporary employees.

Worst Job Ever....and I was a sales person in a Wal-Mart.

Former Employee - Server/Cashier  in  Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Cashier in Victorville, CA

I worked at Panda Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay was above minimum wage and you get free food during break, but that's about the only good thing.

Cons

Panda Express seems to have good company values, but they didn't practice them, at least not where I worked. Of course this isn't about all the Panda Express' but I moved around a couple of stores in the Southern California area. First off they were totally unorganized, on my first day I was trained by someone who was also on their first day, so no training for me. They are very uptight about doing things their way (which didn't make sense, like cleaning windows with soapy water instead of window cleaner) and if you didn't do it their way you would get yelled at. The problem with that was everyone had their own idea of what the right way was, so every one of my coworkers would come up to me and tell me I was doing something wrong and show me their way of doing it. This happened everyday for the month I worked there. If you're thinking that it's probably because I'm incompetent, no, I can assure you I am good at following directions, they did however make me feel very incompetent. I got blamed for not doing things I was never taught to do. I was reprimanded for doing one thing, told to do another thing and then reprimanded 5 minutes later by the same person for doing what they told me to do and then told to go back to the thing I was first doing. All the new employees complained because we were being picked on by pretty much all our coworkers, it's one thing to tell someone they are doing something wrong and to help them, but when you feel the need to talk down and make people feel stupid you have no right to even have a job until you learn to treat your fellow coworkers like a human beings. I have a lot more I could talk about, but you get the gist of it. Needless to say I quit, I knew if I stuck around it would only get worse. I called corporate to complain anonymously, a few days later I got a call from my manager (who was not a nice person) she wanted me to repeat everything I knew she already heard so she could have a 'talk' with the people who were being rude. A week or two later when I had to go in to pick up my last check, the two girls that I had the most complaints about approached me and said they wanted to talk. I asked to be anonymous...Anyway my main problem was the way I was treated by my coworkers, which of course can happen anywhere. A lot of it had to do with the lack of organization and proper training which a lot of the employees said they had none of.

Treat your employees with respect. Give proper training.

Stressed job for the money you make.

Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Panda Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good bonus structure depending on the store you have.

Cons

Upper Management
    No Life/work balance
    work conditions
    No consistency

Let your managers manage their stores.
    Work with your Area Coach of Operations, if they're not happy with their job, their managers are not going to be happy.
    Get over the whole "brown nosing" to promote people. Promote people who work hard, not people who are in their stores all day every day. Quit trying to shove the Chinese culture down your American workers throat. IT IS NOT GOING TO WORK. Let people have their opinions. 80% of your managers are NOT happy, they are either working until they find something better, or working because they are tied down to their bills. Compare yourself to Chipotle, why are their workers so much happier? Everyone is scared of the "upper management" visits, instead of helping your employees you stressed them out.

Worked for Panda Express? Contribute to the Community!