Panda Express Reviews

Reset
3.2
Panda Express Co-CEOs Andrew and Peggy Cherng
Andrew and Peggy Cherng

Pros
  • Sometime there is free food at work (in 64 reviews)

• Good Pay (compared to other fast food joints) (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is possibly in question (in 26 reviews)

• Long Hours - No life work balance (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Front of House in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Front of House in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I love that this business is huge on people development. They really care about their employees and want to see them get promoted and work with everyone to help them grow and reach their full potential. -I learned a great amount of social skills with this job and customer service, before this job I was so shy! This job really helped me to gain self confidence and I am really grateful for that -You will feel a part of a family working at a Panda and everyone is generally genuine nice good people which is really good. It's nice to be supported by a work group and feel valued and have people care about you -If you are a hard worker and like variety, there is a lot to do at Panda Express. It isn't like other fast food restaurants like Mcdonalds, you actually have to do a lot of hard work but I enjoy that because I like to stay busy when I'm on the job.

Cons

-You will never be perfect at anything, there is always room for improvement for everything you do so if you are looking for praise in a work environment, you probably won't be finding it here. Your superiors will always find something you can do differently and they will hold you accountable and responsible for any problems that may arise when you are on the clock.

2. good staff

I worked at Panda Express

Pros

good working staff and friendly environment

Cons

nothing i could say for the time i worked for them

3. good for a part time while in school

I worked at Panda Express

Pros

very flexiable, fun working and friendly

Cons

if you make a mistake your responsible for your mistake but thats everwhere

5. General manager

Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time

Pros

The company is willing to develop more potential people to the next position.

Cons

It's really hard to have full man power in this industries.

Advice to Management

Think positive, be proactive.

6. Counter Help

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, TN

I worked at Panda Express (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice to work with. Good work environment overall.

Cons

Individual worker has many tasks and responsibilities for the amount of hourly pay. Oftentimes, one is expected to fill in an absent worker's position.

7. Good place

I have been working at Panda Express part-time

Pros

Nice, good food, clean and good compensation

Cons

Very busy, fast paced, lazy co workers

Positive Work Environment

Former Employee - Back-of-House/Cook in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Back-of-House/Cook in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A quick note: My employment at the Great Lakes Crossing location in Auburn Hill, MI only lasted for seven months due to a sudden shift in living arrangements. I was hired in quickly as a cook with almost no cooking experience. Expectations were high and work was often arduous with little margin for error afforded the staff, but this was countered by supportive management that offered support freely and often. While the work is hard (I lost 40 pounds in the seven months I worked there), no one treats you like you aren't capable. Growth is encouraged and the pay structure is (or was, I'm not sure if anything has changed) directly tied to your mastery of the various stations. So the harder you work and the more effort you put towards learning everything, the faster you earn raises. Consequently, learning all the stations makes you a candidate for management which opens up further career opportunities. If you're motivated and are proactive about your education, you could likely find yourself moving outside of any hired-in station very quickly. Workers held each other in high esteem and the camaraderie of the Back-of-House staff made an otherwise difficult job a delight. Insurance and retirement benefits are offered to full-time employees, and full-time is only 30 hours. They were very flexible with my school schedule with ample time provided between class and work. I can't impress how positive of a work environment it was. Maybe it's because I came from a bar and was used to angry co-workers and abusive clientele, but the positivity that came from the management and fellow staff was inspiring and incredibly motivating. Though I never met the CEOs, they frequently visit locations and had visited ours some time before my employment. Several of my coworkers told me they were extraordinarily pleasant, friendly, and supportive of the staff.

Cons

I worked back of house and it was easily the hardest I've ever worked for $9/hour. Occasionally, middle management would visit the location and hawk over your shoulder while you're working. They were not friendly and it was very creepy. Like really, really creepy. They quietly roamed the location like vultures waiting to feast. I once literally jumped when I turned to see a man standing right next to me, staring at me. I don't know how long he had been there, apparently not feeling the need to announce his presence, his gaze invasive, his scent authoritative, a florid lick of baby's breath adorning his lapel . I think he had bodyguards, and he might have known how to fly. I quickly turned back to tossing fried rice, hoping, praying that when I reached for the cup of peas and carrots on the prep station behind me, he would no longer be there, piercing my soul with his eyeball daggers, breaking my spirit into a million pieces so they may be melted back down and reformed into a form more suiting his field of vision. It was an unpleasant experience.

Advice to Management

I genuinely adored my manager at the location. She was a beacon of light in a dark sky, and there is no advice I could offer her that she couldn't have given back to me in a shinier and more effective package. My advice to her direct bosses is to be less creepy.

9. Good for part-time and growth

Former Employee - Cashier/Steam Table
    Former Employee - Cashier/Steam Table

I worked at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a ton about customer service

Cons

Higher-ups can be harsh, not constructive.

10. Typical service industry

Former Employee - Food Server in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Food Server in College Park, MD

I worked at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-simple work -uniform supplied -manager at college park, ms location was a pleasure to work for

Cons

-food not supplied for free to employees -mindless work -not much else bad to say--just a regular restaurant job

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

11. A great job that focuses on customer service

Former Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Panda Express really develops your customer service skills and helps you gain experience with a little bit of everything that they offer. It's a job that keeps you moving every second, there's no slacking off or sitting around even for a minute. Before you even know it, it's closing time and you're on your way home. If you want something fast paced and requires you to get the job done perfectly, Panda Express is the place for you.

Cons

Working at panda express can be challenging because of the expectations. It was my first job and I wasn't expected to be perfect, but I was expected to be fast. I'm the kind of person that needs time to process and get things right. After I was shown once on how to do a specific job, I was supposed to do it exactly like that and fast. At Panda Express, they want speed and close to perfect.

Advice to Management

During my short time working there, my manager followed me everywhere I went and stuck to me like a hawk. I was nervous which at times, caused me to get yelled at for something I did wrong because I was always being constantly supervised. I don't find it comfortable to improve when someone is watching my every move.

RSS Feed </> Embed