Panda Express Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.3

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng
Andrew Cherng

Pros
  • Also, you get a raise every 6 months and free food while you're working (in 46 reviews)

• Good pay, relationships with coworkers are great (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to have Work-Life Balance as they keep you extended too thin (in 19 reviews)

• long hours, customer pressure, food industry is difficult in general (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Job for Fast Food

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is extremely interested in growing its employees and offers a variety of ways to do so. Catering Captain for marketing, management opportunities on the business end, and lots of charity and fundraiser work as well.
    My manager also started me a dollar higher in pay because of all my previous food and restaurant experience.
    Lots of procedures and guidelines for consistency and quality.

Cons

Regardless of what the company has to offer, it's still fast food. Unless you are specifically interested in making a career of food service, this is simply a stepping stone job.

While the goals and operations guidelines for the company are very good and the environment of growth sounds good, the reality is that the management I have dealt with in this company are high-pressure and unforgiving.
    From what I have seen, the company's management needs to take MAJOR strides to demonstrate more trust and understanding in their employees so that they'll actually WANT to move up in the company, rather than dread going in to work.

Good experience as a first job

Former Employee - Counter Help  in  Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Counter Help in Avondale, AZ

I worked at Panda Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is above minimum wage, performance bonuses are also possible. While working on shift, you are offered free meals instead of having to pay using your discount. In addition, you can also use a discount outside of work.

Cons

Earning over 40 hours in a week is extremely rare, advancement can be somewhat difficult, and upper management routinely is shifted around (which I think was/is protocol).

OK company

I have been working at Panda Express

Pros

nice lunch, paid vacation and good benefit.

Cons

too much complains, manager just shows up several hours a week. Need to deal with hot table and get burn sometimes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at the steam table and did the cash register. Management was really negative, but overall good job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

I worked at Panda Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty good benefits when working part time, starting pay is 8.50 an hour, the ability to work your way up if you prove yourself to management. Very, very high standards to meet.

Cons

Some managers were very negative.

Way too much physical work, too little compensation, no work-life balance

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Del Mar, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Del Mar, CA

I worked at Panda Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Panda promotes a very inspiring work culture.

Cons

I worked here as an assistant manager, so my days off were Thursdays and Sundays. That is pretty universal for all managers. The rest of the week, I was working 12 hour days because of the long restaurant hours. There was a lot of sacrifice and almost no such thing as work-life balance. Also, almost all of the upper management is Chinese, and they seem to show favoritism towards other Chinese when promoting.

ACOs should be more realistic when it comes to pushing AMs and GMs. We are always putting in our best effort to keep the store in tip top shape, maximize sales potentials, and best food quality but it is never enough - while you ACOs are supposed to visit us at least once a week for advise and inspiration. I worked in the San Diego area. My store was extremely busy, but we received little to no support from our assigned ACO. He didn't even come when he promised, and came to visit once every three weeks or so. What do you get paid to do all day anyway, with your free car and phone?

RESPECT

Current Employee - Counter Help  in  Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Counter Help in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good pay great benefits good hours 20% discount and free meal on break

Cons

you get treated with little to no respect by your manager basically get call stupid in her own nice way....acknowledged your team member your a team leader be the reason why our store moving up not the reason why even the Customer would suffer

the store managers need to be informed educated that the people that work for Panda not for them... We dont need your constant yelling reminding us the reason and should be thankful that your giving us hours... And telling us what kind of failure we are people human being with feelings if we have a choice some of us would have walked out or call Hr to complain but we love our job... High respect to your position but I will hid from you if I see you somewhere else... Respect to have that 20 20 vision implemented in the store.... OUR STORE

Assistant Manager Review

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to grow
    Good Benefits
    Lots of Training plus programs available
    Good Pay (compared to other fast food joints)

Cons

Its still fast food
    TOO MUCH PRESSURE TO PERFORM
    Long Hours - No life work balance
    VERY hands on

Put less pressure on lower management
    Serve coffee

The management is not good, the environment is fantastic

Current Employee - Front of House  in  Euless, TX
    Current Employee - Front of House in Euless, TX

I have been working at Panda Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, nice people, fast paced

Cons

Unorganized, degrading, slow to fix problems, no promotions,

When you have something that needs to be fixed, don't just not do anything and wait for your employees to fix it, call someone.

Didn't enjoy the job

I worked at Panda Express

Pros

Free food, also worked with cool people

Cons

You have to stand up the whole time, and always have to keep busy

Good Management Experience

Former Employee - General Manager of Operations
    Former Employee - General Manager of Operations

I worked at Panda Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

lots of developmental sessions, good starting pay

Cons

No work and life balance. Even when you plan ahead and submit your schedule to area manager, always have unexpected store visits from upper management. After working so hard to clean and get ready for visit, always gets canceled. Always been told as a general manager I would not be part of general labor and focus on training and coaching, buts its not the case, labor is always tight. Very physical job with a lot expectations that you maintain your figure, if not you have no "work life" balance and will be hard for you to get promoted.

care more about your GMs and associates, we are always front line. Help Gms balance their work life balance

Worked for Panda Express? Contribute to the Community!