Panda Express

Updated December 20, 2014
3.1

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng
Andrew Cherng

Pros
  • Free food when you work a certain amount of hours and you meet new friends (in 64 reviews)

• good pay great benefits good hours 20% discount and free meal on break (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • There was a lot of sacrifice and almost no such thing as work-life balance (in 26 reviews)

• long hours, customer pressure, food industry is difficult in general (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Former Employee - Counter Help in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Counter Help in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Panda Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food and Great Pay. I didn't stay long because of the long hours of standing up but it's a great starting off job.

Cons

Hours and hot environment. Training was short, more of a hands on training. Co-workers were funny and fun to work with.

Management was awesome.

Pretty cool

Former Employee - Service and Kitchen Team
    Former Employee - Service and Kitchen Team

I worked at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Start off with a pretty good salary, it was a bit more than the minimum wage at the time. Minimum wage was 8 and we were being paid 8.75

Cons

having to use the same dish for break meals. We weren't allowed to use company dishware (of course because they want to cut down the cost of buying more plates)

Cool coworkers, always busy, sweet hours

Current Employee - Front of House in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Front of House in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Starting pay isn't minimum wage, coworkers and manager are super cool, lots of experience

Cons

Rude customers and being dead beat tired after a 12 hour day

Highly Intuitive place to work at, fun and easy environment!!

I worked at Panda Express

Pros

Free employee meals and the uniforms are very professional.

Cons

A lot of pressure, must be prepared to be cooperative with team on board. Must learn to make routines a habit and adapt to flexible schedules.

Management should be easy on those who are under of age 25, not many have taken on some common sense. Acknowledge the top performers not the everyday slackers who continue to do their job the incorrect way.

Caring Environment for Young Workers

Former Employee - Food Server in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Food Server in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good for a job in the food services industry. Especially important is health care for you and your family. The job is not physically demanding or strenuous either.

Cons

Harboring a deep feeling of meaningless and insignificance. Sometimes the servers wonder if we are inconsequential robots in red jumpsuits ladeling out honey walnut Shrimp. Perhaps I should just swallow a bucket of raw orange chicken and end it all already.

Starved for Managers

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, a lot of work, teamwork is apparent among managers. Great hard working staff (out of the ones who stay).

Panda promotes personal growth heavily, but it falls short in many cases.

Cons

PE is starved for managers so you have some people getting paid $10/hr while doing the work of a 45k salaried GM. Area managers and higher speak to store managers and associates like we are children. They promote growth opportunities in cryptic riddles sometimes and they dictate how everything should be done; including how you should fold a towel (first fold by three and then in half and then in half again, or roll it up after the tri-fold if you are going to clean the steam table).
    Hours are a bit overwhelming. Managers should not have 2 days off in a row nor should they have more than 2 days off in a week. Managers should open at least twice a week, close at least twice a week, and must work Fridays and Saturdays with little exceptions. Requesting holidays off is heavily suggested against and must go through two levels of authorization. Manager hours should be around 50 hours per week, but often float around 60, and can get up to 70 or more if you are expecting a store visit.
    I feel a little cheated. I was told, in the beginning, that bonuses were almost guaranteed, including hefty quarterly bonuses of $1000 or greater. However, I was put in charge of a store as an Assistant Manager after 5 weeks of training and quickly learned from many mistakes. Those mistakes led to no bonus. It's a bit embarrassing when everyone else around the table is handed a check and you get skipped. Often, we are goaded into passing our measurements and audits with a grave message spoken slowly and hesitantly "you will get a written warning which means... you will lose your quarterly bonus..." but I've never gotten one, so I don't really know what I'm missing out on.

Regardless of how much work you put in, you will only ever get a courtesy "thank you" after an hour or two has been spent telling you everything you have done "wrong."

It's food service, so you will slowly lose your respect for much of humanity with all of the unnecessarily rude and entitled people. I could only shrug off so much before it really started to bug me. With a bachelor's degree making less than 30k/year, I don't want to say I'm above all of this, but I've been exhausted of my ability to cope with it. This inability to cope is also affected by my personal life (what little is left), but that personal life is strained because of all the time I'm spending at Panda.

This job is definitely not for everyone, but those that stick with it really love the company, the pay, and supposedly what they do.

It's fine until...

Former Employee - FOH Worker/Cashier in Clinton, MD
    Former Employee - FOH Worker/Cashier in Clinton, MD

I worked at Panda Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good money and great food

Cons

some very difficult employees, terrible scheduling....managers dont keep their word and are alway changing rules

stay firm with your rules. stop changing up so much and when an employee is available that day...dont hesitate to put him on the schedule especially if that person is a great worker. fire people who do their coworkers bad and also create hostility towards them.

Extremely punishing hours. Mostly nice coworkers, decent pay. Backbreaking work.

Former Employee - Cook
    Former Employee - Cook

I worked at Panda Express full-time

Pros

Meeting a few nice people. Getting decent pay. Free lunch.

Cons

Uneven workload. 12 hour workday leaves you physically exhausted. Very intense work. stress. Petty standards.

Get realistic expectations. Do away with 12 hour days. Realize people have lives outside of work. Don't play favorites. Give promotions to the hardest workers, not just favorites.

Forget it

Former Employee - Counter Help
    Former Employee - Counter Help

I worked at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food. I mean it's not healthy but it's free.

Cons

They try to save as much money at the employees' expense.

Tiring, hot, and had to deal with incompetent managers.

Former Employee - Front of House
    Former Employee - Front of House

I worked at Panda Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay. Slightly above minimum wage. Free food every shift. Schedule was flexible.

Cons

Stressful when it came to dinner or lunch rush. Managers are always yelling to do things faster resulting in more mistakes. No room for growth in the company unless you're related or have friends who are managers or higher. Other employees would do shady stuff and since they were friends with managers it would slide. (I.E sexual harassment, being short money, etc)

ACO needs to hunker down and take a good hard look at what is going in The company.

Panda Express Photos