Panda Express
www.pandaexpress.com Rosemead, CA 5000+ Employees

Panda Express Reviews in Rosemead, CA

Updated Mar 25, 2014
Panda Express – US – “Entrance to a Panda Express store in Marin City…”

Panda Express Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO Andrew Cherng

Andrew Cherng

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ideal job while going to school

Accounts Payable (Former Employee)

I worked at Panda Express full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility with my school schedule

ConsNot much opportunity for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great

Decent pay and benefits but it's like a cult

I worked at Panda Express full-time

ProsPay, stock options, bonuses and benefits are good. Gym on site. Free classes in subjects like leadership, excel and coaching others. Nice building and great people to work with (middle and lower levels). The work is interesting and challenging. It is a great opportunity for those without degrees or are English as a second language. They do give opportunities where other companies may not.

ConsNo real room for growth even with hard work. Advancement is based on how many self help classes like Landmark that you go to and if you buy into the company culture. They say these things are voluntary but they are very mandatory if you want to advance or even survive. You have to pay for them yourself and take time out of your days off to go to them.

The culture is very much a CULT-ure. The company is way too involved into people's personal lives and it is a part of annual reviews; how often do you work out, what books are you reading (in addition to books we are MADE to read), what classes are you taking (in addition to the Landmark classes we HAVE to take). It's too much. Many company meetings are often full of self help sessions where people are pouring out their hearts about their personal lives and crying. It is very uncomfortable to watch and listen to.

Managers and above as a part of their "leadership" and aligning with the company culture are expected to go to and donate to Tzu Chi in Taiwan as a part of a Buddhist retreat. You have to pay for the trip yourself, donate to the organization and take your own vacation time to go. Cost is several thousands of dollars. Those that don't go are questioned on their values and company leadership. This all seems kind of illegal.

If you are ok with following exactly what the company says and not being a leader or speak your mind, this company could be ok with you. If you have your own mind and thoughts, this is definitely not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay out of people's personal lives and judge promotions on actual work performed, not how many self help classes they take.

No work-life balance

I worked at Panda Express full-time for more than a year

ProsPanda offered a great bonus program (that is if the company had a good year). Also, Panda had a gym on-campus so associates could work out after work or during their meal break.

ConsThe worst about working at Panda was the work hours we were expected to keep. At time, my department was working 12-hour days and many times we were expected to work weekends on a moments notice. While I was employed with Panda, my life revolved around work.

Decent company to work for, great associates and interesting culture

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Panda Express part-time for less than a year

ProsThe associates are friendly, the environment is very people based, and the location of the headquarters is near so many great asian joints. Building is nice and well managed.

ConsNo such thing as a free Panda meal, price of the food is still pretty expensive after discount, sometimes it feels as though there are too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Great culture and a great place to learn

Tax Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Panda Express full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWin win culture and great company

ConsI can't think of any

Environment

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Panda Express full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCulture of People Development. Many classes and opportunities to learn and grow.

ConsCulture. Anything over done is just that - over done. Many of the classes, while not "mandatory" are MANDATORY. The CEO gets overly involved in people's personal lives and in a judgmental manner. If one is not ready to do EXACTLY as told, this is not the place for you. For those who need or want an almost cult-like environment - you've found the right place.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really care about people's development, there has to be an environment with no fear. Where people can develop in more than the one way dictated by Panda. This is said to be acknowledged but is not. Be honest with your employees. Have the integrity you ask of them.

You can say that working for Panda is like working for a cult.

Guest Relations Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Panda Express as a contractor

ProsThe culture encourages you to live a healthy lifestyle

ConsFavoritism
Long interview Process
Mandatory Landmark classes

Advice to Senior ManagementTake notice of the people that are actually work hard and get results done.

Great place to work for if you love what you're doing and you work hard.

Network Administrator (Current Employee)
Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time for less than a year

ProsNice gym, discounts, plenty of learning opportunities and classes, stock options, 401k, health/dental/vision, team building events, halloween contest, easter celebration, leadership conferences in hawaii, nice coworkers.

ConsAlmost everyone was hired as a temp or contractor at some point. They will evaluate you for a long period of time before they hire you. You have to prove yourself that you're worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful when you say we have a safe and empowering environment. Not everyone on the senior management team are open to take criticism. Stop the micromanaging!

Interesting Company

I worked at Panda Express

ProsTheir food is really good for a fast chain restaurant. I also like the fact that they're trying to be a green company when they can.

ConsCompany hires temps because they don't want to pay benefits. They provide a gym because they want you to be healthy but don't want to pay for medical. They will hire a temp for two years fire him and than rehire them because California law stipulates you can only hire a temp for two years. They lack big vision because employees are too scared to confide with their manager without being reprimanded. It's ran very old school Chinese culture. So you will work weekends for free, you will pay to get education that they highly recommend(make you do it). It is the most political culture of any company I've ever seen, and for the most part the reason people stay is because they're too inept at there job to go out and find another one. They make you read nonsensical books and want you to praise it so they can see if you're controllable. They want followers and that's why every department in headquarters is lacking talent with an exception to the food department does a well.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay benefits. Allow people to breathe. Stop looking for controllable people; rather start looking for qualified people.

Overall good, sometimes it's like a attending a self-help seminar that just won't end

I have been working at Panda Express

ProsThe compensation I think is fair. Base salary is not remarkable but usually we have high bonuses based on individual and company performance. There is well-equipped employee gym, and they offer various workout classes such as cross-fit and yoga.

ConsSince the founder is a fan of attending various self-improvement classes. Employees are essentially forced to attend those classes as well. These classes such as landmark education often require numerous hours of commitment, and cost hundreds of dollars. The company reimburses $300 per year, often times employees have to pay a significant amount out of pocket even after the reimbursement. Refusal to take these classes or speaking against these classes in the office will hinder your career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership of Panda without a doubt care for their employees, however, I would suggest if they can refrain from using forceful methods to compel employees to take part in these things.

Worked for Panda Express? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Panda Express reviews and ratings in Rosemead, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Panda Express CEO Andrew Cherng. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Panda Express employees.