Pandora

Pandora CEO Brian McAndrews

Brian McAndrews

Pandora a great company

Prosamazing product
    attracting top talent from radio

Constoo many layers at time with multiple leaders

Advice to Senior Managementinvolve your middle managers and employees more in the market and product stratgy

Really depends on your department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn house concerts, casual dress code, beloved product, nice people

ConsWAY too much politics at the senior level; some departments have zero work life balance, incompetent people are allowed to remain for far too long

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace most of the old executive/senior staff

pandora

Prosflexibility, work life balance, benefits

Consnot enough growth opportunity and time consuming

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work, friendly atmosphere

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsA wide variety of technologies, good work is valued, no drama or negativity, lots of exposure to new music and fun stuff going on in Oakland

ConsYou have to be kind of a self-starter and figure out what needs to get done by yourself. The management structure is pretty flat and informal and if you need to be spoon-fed your tasks you will not enjoy it

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider instituting a program like Google's 20% where people can work on projects that interest them, independent of corporate priorities. The hackathons are nice but something on-going would be better

Good company, but processes and management need help.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsCool culture, you definitely feel like you are part of something cool.

ConsReport after report after report.......tedious processes that take up so much time that getting a sale becomes deflated. Make a salesperson's job easier, not harder.....they will then do everything for the company aka generate massive revenue. Roadblock after roadblock takes the wind out of a salesperson's sails.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are spread too thin! Insert another manager (a direct manager, not a manager of another team), or taper down your own workload to be able to focus more on your people.

Looks good on a resume

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was interesting to learn about how Pandora works and they have an awesome space at their headquarters in Oakland. Every time I told someone where I worked, they were beside themselves and thought it was cool that I worked there, so it will look good on your resume.

ConsManagement needs management training, they don't know how to motivate, encourage, or "manage" their employees. It's very clicky, if you don't find someone you click with right away, you better hurry up or you won't last long.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide management training for your managers. Get them all on the same page. Provide consistent and GOOD training at the beginning. Give employees CLEAR direction, not figure it out on your own, advice. Provide a team atmosphere. Once an employee is hired, hook them up with another person in that same position so they have a mentor to work with for their first 3-6 months.

Great product. Incompetent managers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsYou help promote or build one of the most popular apps. Very cool rank and file employees. Sometimes cool bands perform onsite.

ConsExtremely egotistical managers. Uncompetitive salary. Low morale and backstabbing. Departments do not get along. Working at Pandora is a classic example of it's not what you know, but who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find managers who actually know how to lead. There are too many middle and upper managers trying to cover their own butts.

Stay away

Account Manager (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

Pros- good benefits
    - fun workplace
    - lots of snacks in the kitchen
    - whiteboard sessions
    - good company to have on your resume
    - there are some fun employee groups
    - C level people are approachable and nice

Cons- too much politics
    - unreasonable expectations
    - very inexperienced management
    - awful HR. Don't go to them with your problems
    - no room for growth
    - little pay for so many responsibilities and high expectations
    - company is not doing great so there is a lot of stress to make sure quarterly goals are achieved
    - managers are not best in their field so you might learn more from your coworker than from your supervisor
    - a lot of unhappy people because of the above reasons
    - middle management needs training on basic management and communication skills

Advice to Senior Management- invest in your managers
    - help employees to grow
    - make it easier for your employees to move with or to different departments
    - relax and let people you hire do their job (no need to micromanage)

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,

Account Executive (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsPandora has a great product that people love. It's simple and it works fantastic. And it delivers a ubiquitous happiness through music. Users discover new bands, musicians and love listening all of the time.

ConsI thought that I was going to work for a bay area tech company that has an amazing software product that clients need and love. Unfortunately, Pandora is a broadcast radio company. It spends more of its time competing with Clear Channel and Record labels, than understanding technology and data. Pandora has so much potential with the amount of users. However, it has limited engineering support and therefore a very manual ad serving platform. Therefore, productivity and solutions (revenue) is limited because of limited support. Pandora has to pay attention to Clear Channel and the recording industry, but it really can disrupt the music industry, if they acted more like a bay area tech company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in engineers and a quality product team.
    Think internationally. Everyday that Pandora is not available in other countries, is another day people fall in love with Spotify, Songza, or whatever product they enjoy.
    Mergers and Acquisitions, if you can't hire the engineering support, go buy them.

Dream job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsCulture, amazing product, super smart people, location (Oakland is thriving) and trust in our senior leadership. Also, there is very little ego here.

ConsHonestly...I can't think of one thing that I don't love. The people here are welcoming and kind--very different that other Tech companies that I have experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on our culture as we grow.

Worked for Pandora? Contribute to the Community!